GLVC 2019

D2 Mens Lacrosse
HoundsDad

Re: GLVC 2019

Post by HoundsDad »

Love the information. Great write up. UIndy has a strong freshman class, and should remain a legitimate contender for the tourney for a while.
dodger29

Post by dodger29 »

UIndy has done a very good job recruiting the entire time they've sponsored lacrosse at the D2 level. In their first year of play in 2016 they went 8-6 in a tough ECAC (made the ECAC playoff). They had wins against Lindenwood (ranked #17 at the time) and Lake Erie (ranked #6 at the time). That roster was all Freshman except for maybe a token Sophomore and Junior. You see that group taking the lead this year. They are no joke.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

And the coaches who started up the program (both UIndy's mens and womens lax) came from Lake Erie, which they had built up quite nicely. Head coach Greg Stocks is still the head coach at Indianapolis - but his wife Jillian Howley has moved to DePauw (DIII) in nearby Greencastle, IN.
JimBeam

Post by JimBeam »

dodger29 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:22 pm
The top 4 play at the #1 seed for the tournament championship.

dodger... Can you confirm that's how it works? Being new to all this, I wondered if it was a bid type situation, or what.

Assuming you are correct... And I have no reason not to...

The location of the tournament championship could easily come down to the April 19 game between UIndy and Rockhurst.

Which happens to be rather inconvenient for a guy like me, who has to fly over 2,000 miles to whichever location... with less than a week's notice.

Sucks to be me, I guess... ;)
HoundsDad

Post by HoundsDad »

It was explained to me the same, #1 seed hosts the tourney. So it will come down to the final couple of games. Not great for people who have to travel a distance for this.
Laxwarrior

Post by Laxwarrior »

JimBeam

Post by JimBeam »

Laxwarrior wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:16 pm looks like that what it says here

https://glvcsports.com/sports/2018/8/20 ... 82642.aspx?
Thanks. I really do try to search for info, first. Honest. ;)
dodger29

Post by dodger29 »

Young Harris wins over Maryville in overtime 11-10. It was a wild finish. Maryville takes their first lead of the game with :04 seconds left in the game. Then YHC scores as the buzzer sounded on a play that started with a pass from almost mid-field. Unfortunately the camera operator only got the feed-pass on camera (I guess he was excited about the Maryville go-ahead goal...). YHC then controlled the face-off to start overtime and got a stinger of a shot over the Maryville goalies shoulder to win the game.

Young Harris travels to Kansas City to play Rockhurst Sunday. Maryville will host Univ. Alabama-Huntsville on Sunday (UAH plays Rockhurst tonight 6pm CT)
JimBeam

Post by JimBeam »

dodger29 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:15 pm Young Harris wins over Maryville in overtime 11-10. It was a wild finish. Maryville takes their first lead of the game with :04 seconds left in the game. Then YHC scores as the buzzer sounded on a play that started with a pass from almost mid-field. Unfortunately the camera operator only got the feed-pass on camera (I guess he was excited about the Maryville go-ahead goal...). YHC then controlled the face-off to start overtime and got a stinger of a shot over the Maryville goalies shoulder to win the game.

Young Harris travels to Kansas City to play Rockhurst Sunday. Maryville will host Univ. Alabama-Huntsville on Sunday (UAH plays Rockhurst tonight 6pm CT)
That was unfortunate timing on the camera... I thought that pass was the shot. That clears that up.... But why was there no FO?
dodger29

Post by dodger29 »

Jim- the stats sheet awarded an assist, so logic has it that someone else at least touched it...

The no FO could have only come from a dead ball foul??? But, that wasn't noted in the stats. The post game recap only said "Maryville was called for an infraction..." So, it sounds like the only people who really know what the call was, were the refs...
JimBeam

Post by JimBeam »

dodger29 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:20 pm Jim- the stats sheet awarded an assist, so logic has it that someone else at least touched it...

The no FO could have only come from a dead ball foul??? But, that wasn't noted in the stats. The post game recap only said "Maryville was called for an infraction..." So, it sounds like the only people who really know what the call was, were the refs...
Thanks. That was just too bizarre for me to figure out.
Laxwarrior

Post by Laxwarrior »

dodger29 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:20 pm Jim- the stats sheet awarded an assist, so logic has it that someone else at least touched it...

2 goals scored in last 4 seconds of game has to be a record.
Laxwarrior

Post by Laxwarrior »

JimBeam wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:28 pm
Laxwarrior wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:16 pm looks like that what it says here

https://glvcsports.com/sports/2018/8/20 ... 82642.aspx?
Thanks. I really do try to search for info, first. Honest. ;)
No problem, sometimes it just the search terms you use.

I feel your pain. It would kill me not to be able to plan my trip till the final week of the season.
McLax

Post by McLax »

dodger29 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:22 pmThe GLVC sees yet another member enter the USILA top 20. Maryville joins the party at #17 tied with fellow GLVC member Rockhurst at #17...

....UAH and Shorter are struggling with both on significant losing streaks. Shorter is winless on the season. UAH had a good win in Tennessee against a tough Lincoln Memorial squad, but couldn’t get any momentum from that win and stand at 1-5 on the season.
Nice GLVC write up Dodger.

UAH has had a disappointing season, after posting a winning season in 2018 they have not been able to get anything going this year. Between injury and academics, they lost starters on both ends of the field and do not have the depth to consistently put up goals or get stops.

Coach McGowan is great guy and the players love him but he did not have the recruiting edge that say Stocks did. UAH is a great school that feeds NASA and Army for engineers so hopefully the recruiting classes keep the program on an upward curve.

This weekends 2 game Mossuri roadie was not kind to the Chargers either but they did seem to give Maryville some trouble today. They come back home for 3 games that are winnable and finish at YHC.

There’s always next season...
JimBeam

Post by JimBeam »

JimBeam wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:54 pm

UIndy has been flaky in the past, and thrown games they should have won. I don't think they have ever beaten Rockhurst, and Rockhurst is showing substantially better, so far this year. UIndy lost in the regular season to Young Harris last year, and YH wasn't the team they are this year. UIndy needs to play consistently.

The teams that stay at the top of the rankings don't lose random games to unranked teams.
And they almost did it again yesterday. This is exactly what I'm talking about. UIndy hasn't played a consistent season since their inception. They better come to Jesus pretty quick. Maryville is not to be messed with. And we all know what Rockhurst has done to them in the past. :roll:
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

Jim

Why the hate? You're obviously a midwest fan and while inconsistency has plagued Lindenwood and Rockhurst, both this year and in the past, there hasn't been anything said about them. Rockhurst has a 1 goal game deep into the 4th with an equally bad Westminster last week and no mention about that. You realize Indy is the youngest of the 3 programs by far yet you seem to be much harder on them, what gives.

The only teams that seem to be consistent are in the top 5-6 and that's what makes them so great.

Let's be grateful that theres great midwest options and root for each other when playing out of region.
JimBeam

Post by JimBeam »

shaadb-man wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:44 pm Jim

Why the hate? You're obviously a midwest fan and while inconsistency has plagued Lindenwood and Rockhurst, both this year and in the past, there hasn't been anything said about them. Rockhurst has a 1 goal game deep into the 4th with an equally bad Westminster last week and no mention about that. You realize Indy is the youngest of the 3 programs by far yet you seem to be much harder on them, what gives.

The only teams that seem to be consistent are in the top 5-6 and that's what makes them so great.

Let's be grateful that theres great midwest options and root for each other when playing out of region.
shaad,

Actually, that's funny. There's no hate. I consider myself a realist. I am actually a UIndy fan. I feel I'm simply being realistic, and actually pointing out something rather obvious. That UIndy can be very flaky. I don't see a team that is performing up to USILA #9 rankings. You're right, Rockhurst didn't show very well against Westminster. I'm glad you pointed that out. ;)

I'm simply nervous about Rochurst vs UIndy. And since I have to wait to purchase air fare to the Conference Tournament, until after that game... I'm spouting off. But, I think I speak the truth. :|
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

I think I understand where Jim's coming from, and am inclined to agree. I think UIndy is kinda like St. Leo was last year. Were they the #2 team in the country? No way. But could they play at that level for a stretch, and did they do it at the right times? yes.

UIndy has that potential too, and it would be a shame for them to falter against Rockhurst or Maryville, and not have a chance to play their best at the right time.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

On a different note (so a different post), I think these GLVC schools (and Lindenwood) have missed out by not working together on some creative scheduling. This weekend for example, Lindenwood leaves St. Louis to play at Rockhurst, while Indy travels to St. Louis to play Maryville. What if all four schools were to meet at a common site for a double header, with youth and HS programs brought together for a day of some really good lacrosse?

And anytime schools like St. Leo or Tampa or Limestone are willing to make the trek to the Midwest, why not put together two double headers with a day off in between? Indy and Lindenwood could host two teams in Indy, then swap opponents for the second day (might even justify Indy's $10 ticket price). Or Lindenwood and Maryville could do the same thing in St. Louis and each host a day.

Sure it's easy to sit back and suggest this from the outside looking in, but if the Midwest coaches set the stage, I bet schools would fill the #3 and #4 spots pretty quickly.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
PeteVenkman

Post by PeteVenkman »

Rockhurst's program was started in Fall of 2013 with a club year, UIndy was started in the Fall of 2014. To call Indy "the youngest of the 3 programs by far" is a bit silly.

Regardless, Indy is a great program, year in and year out with their young program, and with wins over #3 Seton Hill, #8 Mercyhurst and #14 Lindenwood, I think they're proving that they're doing just fine this year.

With Indy, Rockhurst, Lindenwood and Maryville, the midwest is showing that it can play and succeed at the Division 2 level.
shaadb-man wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:44 pm Jim

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”