D3 Mens Lacrosse
NJlxrdad

Re: Washington & Lee 2022

Post by NJlxrdad »

The 90s called. They want their offense back
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

What is one to make of a 9-6 win by Denison over Baldwin Wallace. Other than 1 qtr. Baldwin was even on all 3 other qtrs with Denison. Denison manhandled the Generals perhaps it’s time to recognize them as they are. There is no doubt that the coaches, players and staff work hard but they are just short enough in talent that they are struggling. They’ve had exceptional talent at D, netminders and fogo’s who have provided some cover for the offense in years past, not now. I think the D is still solid, goalie is yet to be determined and fogo’s are ok but not dominant like they’ve been 10 plus years. They need an upgrade offensively. … I think the departures of coaches the last few years is showing.The offense isn’t exactly a NASCAR prototype, they do have some dogs on D and can play. Best to hope for is incremental improvements by everyone and maybe, just maybe can hold off Roanoke and maybe HSC. This team isn’t built to come from behind they need to get off to a fast start. Offense needs to be extremely efficient and take some pressure off the D. Starting attackmen in 2 cases have combined for 34 shots and 6 goals shooting under 20% after 4 games and had 15 turnovers. The team as a whole is at 25%….Hoping the have a good outing with BW!
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldWU

Post by OldWU »

B-W's game with W&L is just one of several interesting games that will be played over the next week or two as some of the better midwestern teams (besides Denison) are playing the traditional eastern powers:

Illinois Wesleyan -- Christopher Newport, Catholic
Ohio Northern -- Salisbury, Gettysburg
Kenyon -- F&M
OWU -- Roanoke, RIT
ilovethegenerals!

Post by ilovethegenerals! »

It all starts at the top...
LuvNPhillyLax

Post by LuvNPhillyLax »

Alumni game cancelled (postponed?) due to weather, or field priorities.

4:30 game v H-S should test the mettle of any fan w/o a relative on the field. Temp in the low 20’s at face-off.

However, those darn women Gennies just played their game in flurries, bare-knuckled (no gloves at all)! That’s pretty hard-core.
Faxlax

Post by Faxlax »

Nice win today. Playing uptempo really seems to help.

Great offensive distribution- the result of some excellent passing.

Defense was tough and Spags had another first rate game.

Would like to see some other folks getting some playing time near the end. There were chances to let some players get 2 or 3 minutes of time and not risk the result.

Let’s hope for a similar effort on Tuesday.
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

Much better offensively past 2 games. Ball movement greatly increased and better quality shots. Great job by Gallagher against HSC. Close D has been solid. Mid D improving. Goaltending has been solid and Spags handles the ball well on the clear too. Overall they are getting better with experience. Turnovers are still an issue though. And while I would chalk a few up to absolutely ridiculous conditions, there is still too much sloppiness (especially late in games) Also a few guys are banged up. No Rhône or Hillis last game. Tuesday is going to be a great measure of where this team is. Gburg looks as good as anyone they’ve played so far.
ilovethegenerals!

Post by ilovethegenerals! »

Just received an inside tip from my source... The Generals will look to push the pace tomorrow and carry the momentum from their big W over the Squids on Saturday. Aljadar got the nod and will start in net - Expect Spags to get some burn as well. Gettysburg @3:30pm tomorrow - tune in, McCabe's bricked up for this one.
1980AllAmerican267

Post by 1980AllAmerican267 »

ilovethegenerals! wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:54 pm Just received an inside tip from my source... The Generals will look to push the pace tomorrow and carry the momentum from their big W over the Squids on Saturday. Aljadar got the nod and will start in net - Expect Spags to get some burn as well. Gettysburg @3:30pm tomorrow - tune in, McCabe's bricked up for this one.

Heard this as well- expect the Chaminade product out of Levittown, NY to provide the generals with some size and athleticism in cage. Never saw any high school varsity action due to a load of talent in goal for the flyers, but do not be fooled by Aljader's lack of experience. The kid takes up a large portion of the cage and has cat-like reflexes, excited to see how this plays out tomorrow. Go generals.
1980AllAmerican267

Post by 1980AllAmerican267 »

No question McCabe has a potential all American in Spagnoletti, but the urge to get Alajder in the mix was simply irresistible. High-level recruit coming from a powerhouse high school. Expect this savvy netminder to dominate the ODAC for years to come; sources telling me he will also look to maximize his eligibility at the D1 level following his graduation. The battle for Aljader's graduate services has reportedly come down to Coach Tillman at Maryland and Coach Danowski at Duke; will post more updates as they come in, excited to see how this plays out.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Looking forward to Aljader when they play Va Wes and Shenandoah. Until then it’s Spagh’s show.
The team competed against Gburg but turnovers really hurt. Also this group struggles to beat anyone offensively in their matchups. Not a lot of assisted goals and as a team just can’t shoot. After 7 games there isn’t one player averaging 2 pts a game ( Just for comparison Noke has 5, 3 of which avg 3ppg) and they are 1-15 on man up that’s like 6%. The flip side is their opponents are up close to 30 manups scoring 50%.The turnovers are correctable not sure what they can do about shooting most of it feels like they aren’t getting to good spots which they did do against HSC. Just hope they have a good day against Roanoke. Spaghs and D are waiting for someone to break out the O. Holding Gettysburg to 10 is a pretty solid performance by the D.
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

Can Alejader play offense ?
Dehuntshigwa’es

NJlxrdad wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:08 pm Can Alejader play offense ?
😂

Just hope the boys are focused on Randy Mac and not ahead to CNU. Let’s take care of business and play well
Dehuntshigwa’es

Watching CNU /Lynchburg. CNU dismantled Gettysburg not as close as the score suggests. These were comments I made yesterday prior to this contest.

Post Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:17 pm

Tale of the Tape; CNU over Lynchburg
CNU is rock solid, I don’t see any holes in their line up to date.Still they have yet to play a top 20 team this year, I’m not including HSC. CNU is averaging 60 shots a game with 33% shooting. They are playing make it, take it lacrosse winning 61% of their face offs and clearing at 87%.Man up is a healthy 12 for 49 at 41%. This team is about 90% Virginia based which is a testament as to how the game has grown in just the last 10 years. They also sport TEN fifth year players providing a significant advantage at the line of scrimmage. This is also a BIG roster in terms of physical size they remind me of some of the physically larger Salisbury teams of the past. This years champ will be Tufts,RIT, Salisbury or my dark horse CNU. I thought York and Lynchburg could make a run but they might not be as good as I had thought in the beginning of the year. I think Lynchburg keeps it close but CNU will prevail , maybe by a lot.

It’s 10-3 at the half CNU has dominated Lburg. How about this scenario, CNU gets ahead of themselves perhaps a bit gassed after the Mustang Classic and dominating wins. They take for granted the W&L game. Spaghs plays lights out, D is stout, do 50/50 at the dot turning it into a scrum. Generals keep it close into the 4th and steal a win. That’s my fan scenario.

It’s over 13-4 halfway the 3rd this could turn into a brawl. CNU fogo is hurt now but don’t see Lburg doing it. Time for Gennies and popcorn
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

Way to take care of business
Dehuntshigwa’es

Nice W&L won 15-6 still 19 turnovers against RM?? Spaghs once again very solid and after giving up 3 quick ones the Generals settled down and only gave up 3 the rest of the day. CNU fogo got hurt which had much to do w Lynchburg coming back. Still CNU plays very fast this will be a tough matchup. Generals played York tight maybe they can do the same w CNU
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

Will take the win, but it was like watching a high school game.
publaxguy

Post by publaxguy »

Honestly at this point how many years do we give gene. Love the guy. Absolute master class in program management. Will be perfect as an AD. But the lacrosse knowledge? What have we seen since Koch and Corrigan left?

The boys can’t play a pick and roll. Hedging? Double team? Pop hands and play switch ball? These are low fundamental skills the boys are simply lacking.

How much more can the generals endure of mediocre lacrosse?
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

Will say this. Mendoza is an outstanding coach and was a great get by McCabe. He has done a great job with the D and is also a diligent recruiter.
Last edited by NJlxrdad on Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dehuntshigwa’es

NJlxrdad wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:45 am Will say this. Mendoza is an outstanding coach and was a great get by McCabe. He has done a great job won’t the D and is also a diligent recruiter.
That is good to hear. Who might be the next AD, internal or external hire?

Crucial point in the season with 2 tough games CNU then 3 days later Roanoke. While CNU will be a big challenge hopefully they have a good showing and have to carry something positive into Roanoke. Thinking mid week game for CNU after Mustang Classic maybe a little flat. If W&L were to win it would be a huge upset. Roanoke is as usual a must win. I’m willing to say the W&L D along with Spaghs is capable of holding Noke to under 10 but can W&L get to 10. Hubbard on Kammerman can he do it alone? Want to see this matchup

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”