Holy Cross

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HCBosfan

Re: Holy Cross 2019

Post by HCBosfan »

Both ends of the field looked good. Not bad to jump right back into it after a hard fought game in Burlington. It was good to see some playing time with new faces and this was the game to figure it out. A lot of those kids were a bit surprised by the defense and how fast and hard the checks came. That was a much needed confidence booster for sure. I was taking a peek at the stats so far this season and we are holding our own. We had some problems with Q1 in the first two games but it seems like things are clicking. Fast ball movement. One stat i like is we have had 12 assists so far this year, that is out of 24 goals. Higher SOG % . No rest for the remainder of the season. Harvard is going to start a string of tough games. After last year Harvard will not take it lightly. Babiak went off last year hope he repeats. it.
X-Check

Post by X-Check »

STRONG TO VERY STRONG

When was the last game when the team took 61 shots? 1984 (the oral history era of HC lacrosse)?
Penikese

Post by Penikese »

What a GUTSY win! 8 unanswered?
That has to do wonders for these guys believing in themselves and not giving up.
Give the game ball to #45 (though everyone contributed, real team effort)

Well done boys.
HCBosfan

Post by HCBosfan »

History, last year Kodzis tied it to go 2 OT. This year the same. Unbelievable!!! O’Connell best in the PL. team is just I grind machine. Mullaney once again like Colgate just fired up the team. Tosoro it’s sometimes about one save and he did it. Keep it up fellas you literally just turned the history books on HC lax. Coach Burke well done!! Those kids are jumping in front of a bullet for you!! It is a hard schedule and more grind to come. Rock on Saders you are making it edge of the seat enjoyable
Sllaxdad

Post by Sllaxdad »

That was some game. I thought we needed to show improvement from week to week, not quarter to quarter. 1Q hard fought, both teams. 2nd Q a different group showed up on both sides of the ball. The level of play in the 3rd, 4th and OTs was as good as the 2nd half of VT and UMASS Lowell. We can enjoy this W until Sat AM. Go Saders.

https://www.instagram.com/insidelacross ... gvx7ol2wta
crusader66

Post by crusader66 »

WOW, great comeback. Contributions across the board. No quit. Need to keep intensity up for Loyola
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Congratulations to HC and nice to see Coach Lynch having an early impact on the team, both on and off the field. He brings a unique quality from NAPS that many programs are missing with their men. Good Luck the rest of the way...except on March 30th. :D
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
X-Check

Post by X-Check »

Re-post: the link below is the highlights from the end of the game....

CLICK:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BuXOWeMnzC_ ... ve_share[b]

WORTH A WATCH
HCDC

Post by HCDC »

Awesome comeback for HC Tuesday. Thought they outplayed Harvard in most aspects of the game, controlling possession and out hustling the Crimson throughout.

Dan O’Connell is currently the #1 FOGO in the country in terms of winning %. Season is still young, but he’s been great. The guy battles through the whole draw every time; even if he loses the clamp he doesn’t quit … and often still manages comes up with it. Largely because of him, HC had a 16-possession advantage vs. Harvard. Without that, there is no comeback win. Definitely give him the game ball (Mullaney is second for igniting the offense).

Definitely an improved team since Vermont and UMass Lowell games (didn’t see Providence opener). HC is currently #5 nationally in CTOs, #6 in man down D, #11 in GBs, and #17 in clearing %. In the “Needs Improvement” category, they are #67 in turnovers and last (or close) in shooting % (for some reason the NCAA stats database for sh % stops at #69, which is UMass at 0.207). HC is 0.197 on the season for shooting % and Tuesday shot only 0.190 ... although most of the errant shots were in the first half. In fact, during the comeback run they scored 7 goals on 17 shots (0.412 sh %), 14 of which were on goal (0.823). In the OT they were 1 for 4, with 2 SOGs.

All goals during the comeback run looked to be on shots inside 10 yds, when pushing tempo in the 6 x 6, attacking the cage, and exploiting seems in the D. The first few games HC did not have much in the way of crease play, looks on the back side post, or effective cuts. They spent most of their time on O working the ball around the perimeter and running sweeps, which resulted in lots of poor shots from 12+ yards out that were missing the cage or were easy saves. Hopefully yesterday’s performance is a sign that they are gelling offensively and recognize the need to work for shots at closer range. If the motion O isn’t breaking down the D, I hope they’re not afraid to use some other formations/sets, e.g., 2-2-2, and use more picks to free up shooters.

4 days after last year’s exciting come-from-behind OT victory over Harvard, HC travelled to Lehigh and got wrecked (15-4). Hopefully this Saturday will be different. Playing Loyola in Baltimore is going to be very tough.

Good luck Saturday.
X-Check

Post by X-Check »

Harvard is feeling better having played HC to a one goal game?

Yesterday's offensive effort was impressive. Best ever? Probably close. I can't recall anything better.

Good decision making, too.
crusader66

Post by crusader66 »

Wow, good showing by boys against a terrific Loyola team. To be tow to tow do the stretch tells me this is a team that can compete in PL this year.
HCBosfan

Post by HCBosfan »

Wow is right. I thought we were going to get run on in the first quarter. 12-11 in the third. Must have had Toomey worried. I thought we played Spenser better than the 11 points but I guess he is just that good. Congrats to the boys they fought hard and never gave up. Spangenberg has turned out to quite the nice addition to the team. Off the Bucknell. HC is on the right track and has lots of scorers this year. Was not able to see the box score. Keep it up fellas
X-Check

Post by X-Check »

This team is really good when it moves the ball quickly and goes to the goal aggressively.

Urgency wins.
crusader66

Post by crusader66 »

This is a have to have win tonight vs. Brown. Let two slip away in the last 2 weeks and need to stop 3 game skid. Talent is there. Competing in every game vs good competition but need to close out games.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

If your ride is good you have a good chance, everything else being up to potential of course. Bear longsticks (close and middie) have had serious issues when approaching and crossing midfield. Has HC ever beaten Brown? PC got its 1st W last year.
Penikese

Post by Penikese »

WTG Crusaders! First win vs. Bruno. Another marker down.

Didn't really steal that one, pretty dominant most of the way. Scary late 4th with some good Brown play and some questionable calls (hate to blame refs but head scratching watching it). This is a mentally tough team though, and they rose to occasion.

Well done.
crusader66

Post by crusader66 »

Bingo! Just what the doctor ordered!
Boxster54

Post by Boxster54 »

I watched the game last night and thought HC played well. First time seeing them play this season. They are fun to watch but those uniforms have to go. Looks like summer league shirts that were ordered two sizes small! I could see them going 3-2 over the next five games. Would that get them into the PL tournament?
X-Check

Post by X-Check »

X-Check wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:41 am This team is really good when it moves the ball quickly and goes to the goal aggressively.

Urgency wins.
EVERY SECOND COUNTS

CONGRATS
HCDC

Post by HCDC »

Very nice win.

Team is playing hard and making games competitive. It’s been fun to watch.

Lots of players stepping up and Burke and co are making a strong case to be made permanent.

Need to beat Navy (which should be possible) to get back in the hunt for the PL tourney. If I recall correctly, 3 wins has been enough in some years but not others; Its often not clear how things will shake out until the last week of league play.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”