Salisbury 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Laxwatch2007

Re: Salisbury 2022

Post by Laxwatch2007 »

The first quarter of today’s game in Scranton was nearly unwatchable. What started out as light flurries at game time, quickly escalated into an intense snow squall and, within a couple of minutes, I could not see the other end of the field. The fact that they were using a traditional white ball made the game even more interesting, especially once the snow started accumulating on the turf. Fortunately, just as the heavy snow started coming down, a storm warning siren when off and both teams quickly retreated to their respective locker rooms. The snow storm continued for another 10 to 15 minutes and then cleared out as quickly as it had arrived and within minutes the sun was shining and the teams were back on the field.

The game, on the other hand, was a blow-out from the very beginning and the only issue in dispute was whether or not Cross would score 10 goals before the Gulls second team attack got in the game (Cross played 3 quarters and finished with 8). The Gulls’s defense played a good game and was simply too strong for Scranton. Berkman began substituting liberally at the beginning of the 4th period and I was very much impressed when after separate penalties had been called against Scranton he kept all of the subs in the game — instead to getting the Gulls’ “man-up” unit out there.
richard

Post by richard »

Probably as far north as Salisbury has ever been.
Laxwatch2007

Post by Laxwatch2007 »

I did not see this afternoon’s game against Stevens but looking at the box score I see that only 4 of the Gulls’ 15 goals were “assisted”. Sooner or later, all of this one on one scoring is going to bite them in the ass.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Luke Nestor matches up against younger brother Cole, starting SSDM for LYN Saturday. Should be entertaining.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Laxwatch2007 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:46 pm
I did not see this afternoon’s game against Stevens but looking at the box score I see that only 4 of the Gulls’ 15 goals were “assisted”. Sooner or later, all of this one on one scoring is going to bite them in the ass.
TIAM is how their offense thinks. The shame is that most of the starters would start or at least see significant playing time at top 10 D 1 teams.

After LYN, York, CNU or some team out of left field beats them, they'll be called the GILLS.

That said FOGO, Goalie and the D under Leeds all are grade A especially for this early in the siason.
Pinchnpop

Post by Pinchnpop »

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:16 pm Luke Nestor matches up against younger brother Cole, starting SSDM for LYN Saturday. Should be entertaining.
Younger by a minute or two, twins.
LarumVictoia

Post by LarumVictoia »

MrLax2U wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:17 pm
TIAM is how their offense thinks. The shame is that most of the starters would start or at least see significant playing time at top 10 D 1 teams.

After LYN, York, CNU or some team out of left field beats them, they'll be called the GILLS.

That said FOGO, Goalie and the D under Leeds all are grade A especially for this early in the siason.
I'll be interested to see how the D plays Lynchburg. They were moving the ball well in the game I saw earlier this season.
2laxers

Post by 2laxers »

LarumVictoia wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:59 pm

I'll be interested to see how the D plays Lynchburg. They were moving the ball well in the game I saw earlier this season.
I think this game comes down to Salisbury's offense. Since most of the starters can start or see a lot of time on top 10 D1 teams they should roll over Lynchburg's D. All 3 close D are new starters and only have 3 games together so far, and only one against a top 20 team. If Salisbury limits their 1v1s and shares the ball they should be good.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

2laxers wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:07 pm

I think this game comes down to Salisbury's offense. Since most of the starters can start or see a lot of time on top 10 D1 teams they should roll over Lynchburg's D. All 3 close D are new starters and only have 3 games together so far, and only one against a top 20 team. If Salisbury limits their 1v1s and shares the ball they should be good.
You’re a little delusional.
2laxers

Post by 2laxers »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:14 pm

How so? I was just using another's posters statement on Salisbury's starters on offense and a fact that Lynchburg's D is new this year. I also don't think that when Salisbury offense starts dodging 1v1 they struggle a little.
Pinchnpop

Post by Pinchnpop »

Let the haters hate, and hate, and hate! Looking forward to a great game Saturday, men playing with a bit of a chip, remember that they lost two games last year. One to Lynchburg. Some have a bitter taste.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

2laxers wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:18 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:14 pm

How so? I was just using another's posters statement on Salisbury's starters on offense and a fact that Lynchburg's D is new this year. I also don't think that when Salisbury offense starts dodging 1v1 they struggle a little.
Delusional that you think most of their starters start for top 10 D1 teams.
2laxers

Post by 2laxers »

MrLax2U wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:17 pm TIAM is how their offense thinks. The shame is that most of the starters would start or at least see significant playing time at top 10 D 1 teams.
Once again that is not my opinion. I was just quoting another poster. There may have been some sarcasm in my previous post which does not translate on message boards. :D
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Pinchnpop » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:43 pm
Let the haters hate, and hate, and hate!
Hey Pinch,
You're way too astute a poster to think this. Everybody on this blog is a fan of D 3 men's lacrosse. We have favorites we root for but at the end of the day we enjoy the game and all the young men, coaches and volunteers who make it possible for us. And the bloggers like you with whom we can give and take.

Regarding my post on the Salisbury offense; you know Berkman is saying the same thing every practice. Watch the Stevens replay and you'll see the men trying to feed cutters and sliders.

Exciting season ahead. Rare to lose at home so maybe +4/5 over LYN. Great game to stream.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

InsiderRoll
Booyah Insider,
I'll stick with my post. Athletes play to the level of competition. D 1 Top 10.; subtract the ACC and the best players from Salisbury, Tufts, RIT and most D 3 first team AA players would be right in the mix. Level of competition, D 1 fall ball etc. makes the difference. If/when the NCAA again allows inter divisional play, I think you'll see.

Tufts recruits the same players who matriculate to Ivy teams. Tufts (and JHU) are Ivy schools in all but designation. {Academically better than most.} RIT lax would hang Hobart and Cornell out to dry.
LarumVictoia

Post by LarumVictoia »

MrLax2U wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:46 pm
InsiderRoll
Booyah Insider,
I'll stick with my post. Athletes play to the level of competition. D 1 Top 10.; subtract the ACC and the best players from Salisbury, Tufts, RIT and most D 3 first team AA players would be right in the mix. Level of competition, D 1 fall ball etc. makes the difference. If/when the NCAA again allows inter divisional play, I think you'll see.

Tufts recruits the same players who matriculate to Ivy teams. Tufts (and JHU) are Ivy schools in all but designation. {Academically better than most.} RIT lax would hang Hobart and Cornell out to dry.
No doubt this is true - Some of the COVID transfers gave us a glimpse of how they'd complete.

Regarding the game tomorrow, I'll be interested to see how everything pans out. Salisbury consistently starts slow and it took that first game loss to make them understand that they're a far better team when the ball banging and everyone is involved.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

InsiderRoll
Tufts recruits the guys that the top Ivy League doesn’t take. As does the rest of the NESCAC. They are not beating out Harvard, Yale, Princeton, or Cornell for kids ever. They spend more time recruiting against Colgate, Lehigh, and BU types. Yes kids definitely develop over their four years and there are some that can contribute at the high D1 level. But it’s not nearly as large as your making it out to be. Yes there have been some D3 transfers that have found themselves in good situations, but not many for top 10 D1 teams.

Gallagher at OSU - 4th/5th Defenseman
Apgar at Rutgers - Benched after 2 games.
Versfeld at JHU - Benched after poor showing.

Take Mac Bredhal for example. D3 player of the year. Yes I think he is an excellent player.

Looking at the top Ivy attacks, I’m not sure he’s a shoe in to start over any of these guys.

Yale - Not a top 10 team.
Brandau
Johnson
Cabrera (maybe?)

Cornell - not better than these 3
Piatelli
Long
Kirst

Harvard - not ranked
Madronic
King
Botkiss (mac probably wins this one)

Princeton - not better than these 3
Brown
Slusher
English

There is currently 1 D3 transfer starting for a top 10 right now, Ronan Jacoby at Rutgers.

For the record I’ll buy RIT over Hobart 8-10 times. (Which is a non scholarship program, in fact RIT definitely hands out more money to athletes than Hobart), but Cornell would beat RIT 99/100 times in a real game right now.
Goldenboy

Post by Goldenboy »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:10 am
InsiderRoll
Tufts recruits the guys that the top Ivy League doesn’t take. As does the rest of the NESCAC. They are not beating out Harvard, Yale, Princeton, or Cornell for kids ever. They spend more time recruiting against Colgate, Lehigh, and BU types. Yes kids definitely develop over their four years and there are some that can contribute at the high D1 level. But it’s not nearly as large as your making it out to be. Yes there have been some D3 transfers that have found themselves in good situations, but not many for top 10 D1 teams.

Gallagher at OSU - 4th/5th Defenseman
Apgar at Rutgers - Benched after 2 games.
Versfeld at JHU - Benched after poor showing.

Take Mac Bredhal for example. D3 player of the year. Yes I think he is an excellent player.

Looking at the top Ivy attacks, I’m not sure he’s a shoe in to start over any of these guys.

Yale - Not a top 10 team.
Brandau
Johnson
Cabrera (maybe?)

Cornell - not better than these 3
Piatelli
Long
Kirst

Harvard - not ranked
Madronic
King
Botkiss (mac probably wins this one)

Princeton - not better than these 3
Brown
Slusher
English

There is currently 1 D3 transfer starting for a top 10 right now, Ronan Jacoby at Rutgers.

For the record I’ll buy RIT over Hobart 8-10 times. (Which is a non scholarship program, in fact RIT definitely hands out more money to athletes than Hobart), but Cornell would beat RIT 99/100 times in a real game right now.
Bad take, Gallagher is starting was injured first 2 games. Apgar was starting then got mono, will be starting when he is back again. Waldbaum starting for Jacksonville which is playing like a top 10 team.

Believe it or not even though you’re not talking about W&L you can be positive every once in a while
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

I don’t know about 99/100, but I’d take Cornell over RIT at least 85% of the time.

Bredahl is interesting. He was committed to Villanova as a freshman (early recruiting days) and I was told by a pretty reliable source that his decision was eventually down to Tufts and one the Ivies “that you don’t say no to”. Why did he say no? They wouldn’t let him golf, and he ended up having a very strong golfing career for the Jumbos. Similarly, Middlebury has two four star freshmen who definitely had Ivy opportunities, but opted for a D3 experience.

Those are unique cases though. It’s usually either kids who want to play two sports or aren’t interested at 6 AM team lifts in the fall, who choose NESCAC over Ivy - it’s not very common. By and large, classes for the top NESCACs are made up by kids who talk to and perhaps even do overnights at Ivy and upper level Patriot League schools, but eventually don’t get offered unless it’s Dartmouth, Holy Cross, Lafayette, etc.

In general, I think if you start for a top 5-10 D3 team you’d find a role (or even start) for D1 teams outside of the top 15-20 (AA caliber D3 players can play just about anywhere) but the difference in the depth of talent is pretty huge through the top 35-40 of D1.

Apologies for hijacking. Good luck to the Gulls this season.
Pinchnpop

Post by Pinchnpop »

MrLax2U wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:17 pm
Pinchnpop » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:43 pm
Let the haters hate, and hate, and hate!
Hey Pinch,
You're way too astute a poster to think this. Everybody on this blog is a fan of D 3 men's lacrosse.
Your right, everyone has an opinion. If you have watched any of the games this season you will see a few different things on O. When Ferrara gets locked down what happens? Crasher Thrasher was 3-5 goals? Next game, put a big boy on crease to stop Thrasher, Posner has 6? Ferrara has 3? And the whole time Dowd, Broms, and Nestor are causing havoc. Lynchburg today will be a great test. This team will continue to grow and progress this season.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”