Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by molo »

They do—at least they did against Towson—run two relatively equal offensive middie lines, and you are correct in that in today’s game offensive middies who don’t do anything else don’t run much. It’s play o and get off. They shouldn’t need to run a third. It’s d mid that’s tiring, and ti to his credit, Milliman throws out quite a few poles and ssdms.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

OCanada wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:58 am GT was playing its first game. Once they settled in it was over. All good points but GT playing its first game is a factor too. Hopkins was never going to beat them at this point in the season
towson looked terrible for the first half of the game too as they struggled to get into regular season mode.

going to be interesting what pm does against loyola- gbs, goaltending and midfield size were issues he inherited and he's now had 2 offseasons to think about and try to improve.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:48 am I have to admit I fell for the Flosports scam as well - got out of the $150 scam into the $30 scam and that may be all I have the energy for - oh well poor decision

As for the game - Georgetown's combo of a good face-off man/big athletic defense and a great goalie is a bad combo for most teams but especially Hopkins a team which needs the ball to protect it goalie and relies on alot of offensive initiation from smaller players - DeSimone/Epstein/Angelus/Keogh. They were getting manhandled whenever they stepped into harm's way.

Probably the best 20 or so minutes of Kirson in a Hopkins Uniform - Second half was not great but I think everybody was tired. The 4th quarter saw 15-5 in shots - 10-3 in ground balls and 6-1 in face-offs for the guys in white. Few goalies are going to withstand that onslaught. Still - it shows the importance of the goalie position - when he played reasonably well - Hopkins was ahead or in the game. Non face-off man ground balls was a deficit of 28-23 - not horrible when you consider the circumstances of the 4th quarter. and dealing with 2 games in under 48 hours.

Shooting was atrocious - Peshko is doing his Claude Rains impression - also can't have 2 first line midfielders with stat lines of 0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
At least commit a turnover to prove you were there.

Loyola at home is a big game.
One the one hand opaque businesses that rely on poor communication to create information asymmetry are gross and may be the decline of our financial hegemony so I have a ton of empathy for you all.

On the other hand there’s a tiny piece of me that is thinking: man they whooped them on the field AND took their lunch money!

But seriously that company is on my blacklist personally. Even shared it on Facebook
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

molo wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:00 pm They do—at least they did against Towson—run two relatively equal offensive middie lines, and you are correct in that in today’s game offensive middies who don’t do anything else don’t run much. It’s play o and get off. They shouldn’t need to run a third. It’s d mid that’s tiring, and ti to his credit, Milliman throws out quite a few poles and ssdms.
Georgetown smartly pushed transition every opportunity they could get, which forced our O middies into the hole. Even Epstein had to sprint back to play D once or twice. I think the Hoyas had 4 or 5 goals from their rope unit. Degnon was playing a ton of defense — and held up rather well to my eye — but that clearly tired him out. Good strategy by Warne to attack us in transition knowing we were coming off a hard-fought Friday night game.

Should be a fun atmosphere on Saturday at Homewood if the weather holds.
molo

Post by molo »

I agree that Saturday will be a great matchup. Unfortunately, I'll be in the stands about four miles to the north watching a game I don't expect to be particularly close, but I need to catch the men in person when they come to town.
Loyola must be better than they looked against Maryland. The number one team is going to embarrass some other good teams this year. If Dunn can face-off the way he did against Towson, the Hopkins settled offense should produce. Pole Poitras. Notwithstanding career points numbers, he is Loyola's most dangerous offensive player.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-I don't what peshkos issues are
-are there any other middies and attackmen who like martin end of last year can step up and become a revelation
-epstein should be b1g player of the week
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Reminiscent of the first Maryland game last year. Competitive until the wheels fell off, then they really fell off! Same issue there; we really got overwhelmed in unsettled situations. A common theme so far this year, but something to work on. Didn't help that we ran into a hot keeper.

On to Loyola, who looked less-than-great on Saturday (albeit against a really good team).
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:54 am
HappyGilmore wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:43 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:22 am
HappyGilmore wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:13 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:13 am No one likes making excuses, and Georgetown was the better team who deserved to win, but having watched the game I have a hard time not seeing how playing 2 games in 3 days didn't have a substantial effect. The Jays got off the bus like they were shot out of a cannon...but almost immediately in the 2nd quarter you could tell something was off. Once the Hoyas settled down it didn't seem like we stood a chance. Martin, in particular, was gassed. Neither Angelus nor Degnon even took a single shot. Bad team offense? Maybe. Tired Legs? Probably. That is a very, very tough defense to go against when you're not at your best. They make you fight for everything and the opportunities you do get, their goalie cleans up.

Maybe I am delusional (always a possibility!) but I don't have that sinking feeling of dread that I have often felt in the past after a loss like this. I get the sense that looking back on the season it might look like somewhat of an outlier. We'll see.
Didn’t get to watch the game, but if what you said is true that they looked tired it might have been an opportunity to play some of bench players. It seemed from the box score at least he rolled with the same 9 players on Offense. Correct me if I am wrong.
Dylan Bauer got out there for some runs for the first time this season (and in his career). Other than that it was the same, yes. But it was also a 4-goal game to start the 4th quarter. Would have been odd to empty the bench before that point as the Jays were still theoretically in it, however unlikely a comeback was at that point. Georgetown didn't fully pull away until that final frame.
Not asking to empty the bench, like you said they looked tired. With two games in three days he could have played more players earlier in the game. First midfield had zero points!! Two of them had zero stat lines. So were they really losing anything if they ran out some of the other players?
Hindsight is 20/20, but it would have been risky to throw a bunch of freshmen or inexperienced guys out there in that game, against that opponent, in those conditions, when the game was still in the balance and things for 15 minutes at least looked quite good. They were already 10 deep on offense even before Bauer came on, as Raposo was rotating with Evans on the second line with Peshko and McDermott. And they were running 5 deep at SSDM. You can't go a whole lot deeper than that. Again, it felt like a very winnable game in the first half. Maybe the staff should have seen the slowdown coming but putting another middie or two out there would not have changed the outcome.
You are right. Easy to play Monday morning QB. Especially since I didn’t watch the last game. Hopefully they can get things corrected. There are a lot things, goalie play, shooting, overall offense and Faceoffs that need improvement.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkajD3OHb1c

If you're a faceoff nerd there's your tape. It's hard to see how dunn was the issue watching that. He didn't get much help from his wings especially martin who gave up on the play at the end in the first goal.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:39 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkajD3OHb1c

If you're a faceoff nerd there's your tape. It's hard to see how dunn was the issue watching that. He didn't get much help from his wings especially martin who gave up on the play at the end in the first goal.
Matt Narewski is a terrific face off man, but Tyler Dunn is the best I’ve seen in a while wearing a Hopkins uniform. Truly outstanding groundball work and pretty good at carrying the ball under pressure.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Johns Hopkins Football Player May Be Headed to Notre Dame

Post by DocBarrister »

Just FYI, a Johns Hopkins football player, Harrison Wellmann, may be headed to Notre Dame to play as a graduate student. He’s a wide receiver, a position at which Notre Dame needs more depth.

Article has some obvious errors (not unusual for that website). :?

https://fightingirishwire.usatoday.com/ ... otre-dame/

Here’s his Hopkins profile.

https://hopkinssports.com/sports/footba ... mann/14805

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins Football Player May Be Headed to Notre Dame

Post by jhu06 »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:49 pm Just FYI, a Johns Hopkins football player, Harrison Wellmann, may be headed to Notre Dame to play as a graduate student. He’s a wide receiver, a position at which Notre Dame needs more depth.

"lack of administrative support" was a rallying cry for quint and petro in the latters departure and if football is good enough to have kids picked up notre dame then the other programs must not be having those issues.
nice wins for towson jacksonville and delaware tonight. wins over those teams won't get us into the tournament but if at least 1-2 of them is top 20 in may it won't hurt.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:10 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:49 pm Just FYI, a Johns Hopkins football player, Harrison Wellmann, may be headed to Notre Dame to play as a graduate student. He’s a wide receiver, a position at which Notre Dame needs more depth.

"lack of administrative support" was a rallying cry for quint and petro in the latters departure and if football is good enough to have kids picked up notre dame then the other programs must not be having those issues.
nice wins for towson jacksonville and delaware tonight. wins over those teams won't get us into the tournament but if at least 1-2 of them is top 20 in may it won't hurt.
Are you counting that win over Delaware already? :lol:
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

you have a nice program but we will have played this weeks 235913 by then plus the dolphins who beat duke and our rival towson and after trying to scale those mountains we should be able to handle delaware.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:02 am you have a nice program but we will have played this weeks 235913 by then plus the dolphins who beat duke and our rival towson and after trying to scale those mountains we should be able to handle delaware.
Delaware is one of the toughest remaining games on the schedule. Back end of a 2 game in essentially 48 hours deal - in Newark - and they are a good team - Hopkins likely a significant underdog in that game. Could be a very long hour of a bus ride back.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Not sure if it is their offensive schemes, their good TE talent, or their inability to recruit a QB with a big arm or a great WR, but at ND, the passes, especially in clutch situations, tend to go to their TEs. That said, good for the Jays and the Irish.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:50 am
jhu06 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:02 am you have a nice program but we will have played this weeks 235913 by then plus the dolphins who beat duke and our rival towson and after trying to scale those mountains we should be able to handle delaware.
Delaware is one of the toughest remaining games on the schedule. Back end of a 2 game in essentially 48 hours deal - in Newark - and they are a good team - Hopkins likely a significant underdog in that game. Could be a very long hour of a bus ride back.
What games left on our schedule would be we be favored in? Maybe Navy?
This weekend may be make-or-break for our goalie situation. At least I hope so.
Another 2-7 start would be rough for the program.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

We're going to lose 7 straight now, and won't be favored at home against Michigan or PSU?

This thread is back in fine form. Only takes one loss against a top 4 team on the road in the snow that was played 40 hours after the previous game ended in order for the sky to come crashing down. How'd Duke do at home against a Jacksonville team we beat on the back-end of a Friday/Sunday stretch?

At least after Friday night we're not hearing any more about how we hired the wrong coach, although I'm sure that's to come soon.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:50 am
I saw Delaware scrimmage Richmond a few weeks ago in Northern Virginia. They a good team but I don't think Hopkins would be considered a "significant underdog" to them. I wouldn't be shocked if Hopkins losses but Hopkins should be competitive in that game - even with only 1.5 days of rest.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

I think Hopkins would be favored over Delaware for sure. They impressed me a bit vs Gtown - McElroy just made some great saves and their D eventually wore down in the 2nd half.

Not that scrimmages matter - but Gtown beat delawares starters with their backups I did hear.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”