D1 Mens Lacrosse
old salt

Re: Navy 2019

Post by old salt »

The frog is getting drowsy.
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

thatsmell wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:31 pm Tough outing for the Mids. Didn’t see that one coming. Spencer had himself a day.

Need to get well in conference. But it will be a tough row to hoe with Lehigh and an improved Holy Cross up next.
Spencer sinks Sowell swiftly

http://youtu.be/Ggy-2_LI7eY

BZ - Nick Berry .. A total beast today

Here at Heroes and the natives are restless . Everyone is trusting WAGS - tells it like it is ., because he knows :idea: We all just got back from Ridley and am amazed the only adjustment We saw was pulling the poor goalie who in my humble opinion has been keeping us in games all season . A junior high coaching move is the theme at the bar .... 911 the Corner office please . :roll:

Youth , what did you see ? I didn’t see you today but would love to hear what you think of today’s coaching ? Our MIDS deserve so much better leadership on the sidelines.

BTW , Penn slaughtered Princeton today .

Concur with SMELL ... Lehigh and HC going to see what this team is made of.

Go Navy

“T”
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Just looked at the stat sheet and you’d think a much closer game. Statistically, Loyola scored a goal for approx. every 2 gbs, that is highly efficient. Navy a goal for approx. every 8 GB’s, that is NOT highly efficient. I believe the sport average is a goal per every 2-4 GB’s.

Lesson learned, from my perspective, and the same each year, is that our offense does not evolve enough as the season progresses. We become so predictive that any d coordinator with a pulse can scheme us with little effort. The following quote from Coach in the Cap Gazette may very well explain the satisfaction with practice this week....maybe it looked this way because they are not being stretched as a lacrosse team, meaning they mastered the handful of sets that have become scoutable? "“This was one of the best weeks of preparation we’ve had in my eight years here. It was spring break and our guys seemed really locked in,” Navy head coach Rick Sowell said. “I’m at a loss for words because we really anticipated that we were going to play a heck of a game. So I’m stunned that we showed up and played the way we did.”

Interesting, I just spoke to a friend that was there and said there was some elderly man heckling the staff for everyone on the navy side to hear. Many of the players were commenting afterwards how crappy that was. I won’t get into specifics.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
LadyLaker

Post by LadyLaker »

I have yet to see the game so won’t comment except to say I was shocked at the score. I was pretty confident Loyola would have the win, but not an outright spanking.

Youth - you’re having issues with hecklers behind your bench. I had friends at Ridley who were keeping me updated and said the guy was pretty vocal at the coaches and team. I was in contact with T., who was also not at Ridley, during the game to give him updates from my pals at the game. I mentioned to him abt the heckling so interesting to read yr mention of same.

I’ll try to watch it tomorrow. Congrats to PS on setting a new scoring record.

LL
Last edited by LadyLaker on Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

old salt wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:02 pm The frog is getting drowsy.

Youth , I agree completely..but to be exact , it was one current flag officer and all his home boys . The screamer was a former “O” Rep from a previous administration .We heard just the opposite tonight that all the players who are begging for a regime change . These are some of the most talented players in all of college lacrosse and the deserve so much better . Why the continued satisfaction with total mediocrity? I dont get it ?

GO Navy

“T”
Last edited by Tecumseh on Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

T not sure how you interpreted any of my comments as accepting mediocrity, other than the stats being posted.

i am not in a position to make decisions and I consistently offer constructive feedback on what I see as an engaged lacrosse official, coach, and advocate of the game.

These young men go through daily tasks unlike ANY OTHER non SA program in lacrosse....period! I will not disagree that they can do better, which is why I offer suggestions that I hope are entertained by those in charge. I believe the players are handcuffed on the field by coach but I also believe and know the players are capable of more. I know this as fact, because I know many of these players personally and have watched thru club and hs over the years. The current balance RS and RW have to juggle is a razor thin line, based on their playbook. The opposing teams game plan know this.

I’ve said this before, I often question the respect of hierarchy taught at SA’s, specifically in athletics, as it relates to a players/subordinates voice. They may very well feel that they MUST respect the coaching decision at all costs and NOT offer suggestion or feedback.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
LadyLaker

Post by LadyLaker »

Youth - never thought I’d say this, but I agree with yr post completely.

The playbook is known &, therefore, predictable. IMO this has been an issue for years. And yes fans can see half-time corrections, but the mid-Q and on-the-fly corrections are still lacking. There are those who may say I expect too much, but other programs have this capability.
LL
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

We were just not a smart and hard working team period. We are playing teams that want it more. It appears the days of fearing Navy are over. I’m seeing a team that crumbles. We fear the “better” programs and are feasting on “feel” good teams. This team that has some soul searching and a bit of peer accountability needs to be held. The definition of insanity is?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Tecumseh wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:38 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:02 pm The frog is getting drowsy.

Youth , I agree completely..but to be exact , it was one current flag officer and all his home boys . The screamer was a former “O” Rep from a previous administration .We heard just the opposite tonight that all the players who are begging for a regime change . These are some of the most talented players in all of college lacrosse and the deserve so much better . Why the continued satisfaction with total mediocrity? I dont get it ?

GO Navy

“T”
I must not be deciphering this correctly.
Are you saying that a current flag officer was heckling the Navy coaching staff???

I understand dissatisfaction, and expressing such in various more private venues, but during a game and in front of the players?
How big a jerk is this guy? And anyone egging him on?

Perhaps this is a more challenging question, but what makes you think that Navy has 'some of the most talented players in all of college lacrosse', as compared to say, Loyola's current team? That's not an insult, it's just that Loyola has several players who truly are 'some of the best in all of college lacrosse'. And those couple of guys make a huge difference.

I think Pat Spencer is perhaps the best player in the game this year, a dominating and controlling force who makes everyone around him better. Need something to happen offensively, get the ball to Spencer. There's no analogue at Navy (nor most schools). I don't think Navy has a Kevin Lindley either. He and freshman midfielder Chase Scanlon are the beneficiaries of Spencer's creation, but both are serious threats to create for themselves as well. That opens up really high quality opportunities for everyone. I don't think this is 'offensive playbook' as much as it is multiple guys who create, and have their heads up.

As solid a goalie as Kern can be, Stover is in the elite category this season. 74% yesterday. 58% on the season against some high power offenses.

That's not to say that any of these comments about the coaching are incorrect, it's just that the reality is that Loyola's in another class right now, led by their major difference maker players. Their Achilles heel is that they don't have a dominant FOGO, but otherwise it's a very, very strong team.

Is Navy better than that beat down (on the scoreboard)?
Sure. Happens.

On pulling Kern after giving up 9 with 2 saves, as a goalie, I think that's usually the right move, at least if there's any chance the back-up is ready to provide a spark. That doesn't mean the pulled tender doesn't immediately resume the starting position the next day (regardless of the back-up's performance), unless there's been a trend in practice that has raised the question in the first place. Goalies are not always going to be at their best; on any given day, biorhythms, whatever, they may just not be sharp. Sometimes the ball looks like a basketball, sometimes a golf ball. I agree that this score debacle was not his 18% saves rate, it was the super efficiency and quality of Loyola's shot creation. Hopefully, he'll bounce back strongly.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HealthyDebate wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:09 am We were just not a smart and hard working team period. We are playing teams that want it more. It appears the days of fearing Navy are over. I’m seeing a team that crumbles. We fear the “better” programs and are feasting on “feel” good teams. This team that has some soul searching and a bit of peer accountability needs to be held. The definition of insanity is?
Navy out ground balled Loyola 41-34. The differential was at X.
Hard to say they aren't 'hard working'.

But that difference was given back in TO's, 21-15, and in saves, 14-6.
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:23 pm T not sure how you interpreted any of my comments as accepting mediocrity, other than the stats being posted.

i am not in a position to make decisions and I consistently offer constructive feedback on what I see as an engaged lacrosse official, coach, and advocate of the game.

These young men go through daily tasks unlike ANY OTHER non SA program in lacrosse....period! I will not disagree that they can do better, which is why I offer suggestions that I hope are entertained by those in charge. I believe the players are handcuffed on the field by coach but I also believe and know the players are capable of more. I know this as fact, because I know many of these players personally and have watched thru club and hs over the years. The current balance RS and RW have to juggle is a razor thin line, based on their playbook. The opposing teams game plan know this.

I’ve said this before, I often question the respect of hierarchy taught at SA’s, specifically in athletics, as it relates to a players/subordinates voice. They may very well feel that they MUST respect the coaching decision at all costs and NOT offer suggestion or feedback.
Youth , to be clear , the Mediocrity comment was not aimed at you at all and I should have been clearer in my words . Mediocrity has been a theme I’ve been on for 2 season ( this being the 3rd ) on the entire HC conundrum. Decision making leadership is one of many concerns. You always have the glass half full and are always offering very solid suggestions in a thoughtful manner .

Regarding pulling the goalie , I just watched the replay and he clearly let in some outside shots he usually saves . The question now is who starts the next game in Net ? I hope they give the Mid from BL a chance just to mix things up. On many levels this team just didn’t get off the bus to play.

Fully concur with 76 on the LOYOLA players and Heathy is spot on.

GO NAVY

“T”
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

We've all seen how the Navy lacrosse program is mired in it's current mediocre state; no threat even for the PL title. That clearly is out of reach --again-- this year. There will be no NCAA bid for this team. I believe the only attainable goal is the N*. Thankfully, that game is at Navy/Marine Corps Memorial stadium. I hope the team can continue to do their best and let's bring home the * against Army.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Tecumseh wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:40 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:23 pm T not sure how you interpreted any of my comments as accepting mediocrity, other than the stats being posted.

Youth , to be clear , the Mediocrity comment was not aimed at you at all and I should have been clearer in my words . Mediocrity has been a theme I’ve been on for 2 season ( this being the 3rd ) on the entire HC conundrum. Decision making leadership is one of many concerns. You always have the glass half full and are always offering very solid suggestions in a thoughtful manner .

Regarding pulling the goalie , I just watched the replay and he clearly let in some outside shots he usually saves . The question now is who starts the next game in Net ? I hope they give the Mid from BL a chance just to mix things up. On many levels this team just didn’t get off the bus to play.

Fully concur with 76 on the LOYOLA players and Heathy is spot on.

GO NAVY

“T”
I'd assume that Kern will be back in net as the starter.
Rees didn't do anything to suggest a change would be better going forward.
Unless Rees is tearing it up in practice, I'd assume that Kern will get multiple more chances to bounce back. He's a proven performer.

I assume Rees is a terrific young man, but I think he was never the starter at BL, behind Pezulla (starter at UNC).
He could well be a terrific goalie, and was just unlucky to have a guy ahead of him at BL, but I don't think we have any reason at this point to assume he's a game changer.

And Kern's been a solid performer.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Any news on the yard this week? I certainly hope there was progress made on the journey of this 2019 season.

Just re-watched some of the Loyola Game. Curious what happened to 17 end of 1st qtr, he was gone after an "s" dodge and 1v1 save on the doorstep. Curious what happened to 21 who left the game after a low pass resulting in a TO. Statistically speaking, attackmen typically have the most TO's on a team ( go check Loyola and Maryland stats) I hope that is not the new norm, otherwise we may run out of players by halftime...to include 4, 6, 7, 8, 22, 25, 32, 40, 66, and so on. :oops: :roll:

Let's hope they all broke bread, said their peace, and had a come to Jesus meeting that we need to make our offense a threat, not some sitting duck. Defensively, something is going on....almost seems like they are experimenting with something new and w/personnel. They just do not look like the same these past few games.
~Livy
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

Meet the Mids Day at NMCMS is always a special day for the Navy MLax players, their families, friends and fans. The line for players’ autographs will be a long one once again! All the best to the Mids vs. the Mountain Hawks.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

LadyLaker wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:37 am Youth - never thought I’d say this, but I agree with yr post completely.

The playbook is known &, therefore, predictable. IMO this has been an issue for years. And yes fans can see half-time corrections, but the mid-Q and on-the-fly corrections are still lacking. There are those who may say I expect too much, but other programs have this capability.
LL
Welcome back, ll and LL. Hope you both are doing well!

W
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Off topic. The new Navy FB defense coaches have been living across from me while the Assocuatuon gets their new housing ready for theme. I hope they do well. Really good guys
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

you all critics of navy lacrosse should calm down these boys have a higher calling that all of their opponents, no disrespect to the other schools
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Yeah, sure. They shouldn’t play sports at all and focus on the rules of navigation and spend way more time onboard the YPs.
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

yeah its easy freshman year 18 credits , critics never did it what ever , calculus , physics , 2 hrs practice , back the f off

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”