Tripe

General Chatter
DMac

Tripe

Post by DMac »

Can't remember where the tripe discussion was, there were those saying how much they like it, cook it this way and/or that way...etc. Said I'd get some and try it, bought some this morning despite the butcher telling me how awful the stuff is. Will cook it from sun up to sun down, disguise its flavor with a bit of this and that and give you my report. Not going into this with great expectations but I'll give it a shot and give you my thoughts about its tastiness (or not).
cradleandshoot

Re: Tripe

Post by cradleandshoot »

DMac wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:10 am Can't remember where the tripe discussion was, there were those saying how much they like it, cook it this way and/or that way...etc. Said I'd get some and try it, bought some this morning despite the butcher telling me how awful the stuff is. Will cook it from sun up to sun down, disguise its flavor with a bit of this and that and give you my report. Not going into this with great expectations but I'll give it a shot and give you my thoughts about its tastiness (or not).
My wife and i differ here on the subject of tripe. She is Italian to the bone... she loves it all day long. i am German/Irish the stuff is disgusting all day long no matter what type of sauce you want to use to hide the stuff. Tripe is the kind of stuff that should go right from the cow to the garbage can. My wife also loves chicken feet. i never thought in a million years that any sane person would eat chicken feet. My wife says well you have to clean them well and cook them right. She lost me at the cleaning part. There is not enough clean in the world for me to eat chicken feet. Not even if you serve them drenched in chocolate sauce. I have the same sentiment about gizzards... one more animal part that should go strait into the garbage can. My grandmother use to love beef heart. The smell of it cooking on the stove to this day would make me want to vomit. My parents and grandparents loved some pretty strange foods that were a staple to them growing up in the depression. Back to the original culprit... tripe is one of those foods that unless you are starving to death you should never eat. i have to admit my love for raw clams. There are probably just as many people that would choke at the thought of letting one of these slimy morsels slide down their throat. Dmac... have you thought about taking over Hinerwadels?? ;)
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
DMac

Post by DMac »

The tripe situation is looking a little shaky at this point, gotta agree with you, cradle, it's just nasty looking stuff (now that it's thawed....not unthawed as many would say--that means frozen, right?). Anything you boil for six hours then deep fry can't be too tasty to begin with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6-2qQqAUZs&t=173s
Just revolting looking stuff. My buddy says you've got to cook it for a long time and you better use a non stick frying pan cuz it'll ruin anything else you use. After that you get a hunk of cooked slime that tastes like wet socks according to him. Not at all enthusiastic about sampling tripe at the moment, there's a good chance it aint gonna happen at all. Any suggestions from the tripe lovers out here?
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

I grew up eating peasant food.

Tripe - mom made it in a thick orange colored sauce with potatoes and carrots. Was great covered with grated hard Romano cheese.

Pigs feet, pig knuckles, chicken livers, chicken hearts, chicken gizzard, ox tail, calf brains, calf liver, rabbit, squirrel. These were eaten on a regular basis in my house. Partly because mom and dad were first gen Italians and partly because we really didn’t have much money I guess. My grandmother picked our salads from the side of the belt parkway. I enjoyed most of these meals. Gizzard was my least favorite.

The one meal I absolutely hated was anchovies over spaghetti. Had that almost every Friday during lent. Gawd aweful I still get the heaves thinking about it.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Trippa a la Fiorentina. Maybe the only way the stuff is edible:

https://www.visitflorence.com/eating-an ... -food.html
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

This looks pretty close to how my mom made it. I probably ate this once a month...

I liked it too!

DMac

Post by DMac »

If Momma DD was making this stuff I'd be much more apt to think it was going to be pretty tasty, DD. Minus the tripe that dish looks pretty good, it's just nasty looking stuff, would be better off not knowing what it is.
Am typically not hesitant to try pretty much any kind of foods, but I'm not liking much about tripe at the moment....slimy looking stuff you'd only welcome if you hadn't eaten in three weeks.
The tripe taste test is on hold for a week or so. Doing some house sitting for the oldest one (and d-in-law) and entertaining their cats while they're on vacation. Don't have a stove as the kitchen is being remodeled...toaster oven and microwave only. That'd pretty much do it for those two year 'round, she's happy with a yogurt trail mix combo (I like her) and he's good with microwaved salisbury steak with mac and cheese. The two of them aren't too much about cooking....seems pretty much the norm with the younger generations (sadly).
I will cook some of it up and try it but my taste buds aren't screaming at me to hurry up and let them sample it.
Bet you ate some burdock greens too, eh DD? Goes good with a little dandelion wine.
Most people mow and weed their lawns, Italians harvest them. ;)

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”