Ivy League

D1 Womens Lacrosse
hmmm

Re: Ivy League

Post by hmmm »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:28 am
Can Opener wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:41 am Based on the performances of Dartmouth and Harvard against BC this weekend, I would say the Ivies have a longer road back than I had expected. BC totally dominated both squads at Harvard Saturday morning. Unstoppable offense, aggressive rides, smothering defense. Of course it could be just that BC has separated from all but the most elite programs in the country. In 2020, Brown was tied 8-8 in the second half at BC before the Eagles pulled away for a 13-10 win. They didn't keep score on Saturday, but BC dominated their two Ivy foes up and down the field. With the Ivies getting a later start than the rest of D1 in the spring, it will probably take the first half of the season for those teams to get back up to speed. I hope I am wrong about that, and of course this is very early on the comeback path for the Ancient Eight, but they have a lot of work ahead of them.
Had heard the same from Ivy families in attendance at Harvard. And witnessed the same from Penn at Loyola on Sunday. I will say again, it has been basically been 2 years since these teams started their COVID pause. The MOST experienced player on Dartmouth roster is a senior with 7GP. The freshman on these rosters are technically the LEAST rusty, as they played a high school season in spring 2021. With Princeton as the possible exception (due to their experience ... the core team all took 2021 as a GAP year) it's gonna be a long walk home.
I said this above about Dartmouth. Not that they can't be good this year. We just have no idea what they will look like after 2 years with no experience returning.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I agree completely – we have no idea. I think there will still be three ranked teams from the IL at some point during 2022. Beyond that, I don’t see much of a variation. The teams in the Ivy don’t typically go too deep in the NCAA’s recently anyway so I’m guessing it will be a relatively normal season for the Ivy’s.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

I watched Penn at the Loyola Playday on Sun. October 10th and was pleasantly surprised. Penn looked solid for a team that hasn't played in 2 years. The offense looked good, transition was good and defense was solid. Okay...it's only Fall Ball, but I wasn't expecting this from them. This is why Karin Brower Corbett is one of the BEST HC in D1.

I think(after a cool Sunday Lacrosse hangout with watcherinthewoods) that Princeton will probably have the smoothest transition back to competition. Why? They had a large number of players defer the 2021 season and they did not have many transfers. That gives them a bit of an advantage. I think Princeton and Penn will have the best teams and results of The Ivies. The other teams are going to have a really hard time coming back to a competitive level. In case you have forgotten, in The Ivy League, it's ACADEMICS first and other things bring up the rear. When you decide to attend one of "The Ancient Eight" as a student-athlete, the student part will always be first and foremost.
Last edited by LarryGamLax on Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:11 pm I watched Penn at the Loyola Playday on Sun. October 12th and was pleasantly surprised. Penn looked solid for a team that hasn't played in 2 years. The offense looked good, transition was good and defense was solid. Okay...it's only Fall Ball, but I wasn't expecting this from them. This is why Karin Brower Corbett is one of the BEST HC in D1.
Larry:
Why didnt you say hi? I completely agree with you. Penn was the best team Loyola played that day. MD and Denver following. Wasnt it on the 10TH - just pulling your chain. :D
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:52 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:11 pm I watched Penn at the Loyola Playday on Sun. October 12th and was pleasantly surprised. Penn looked solid for a team that hasn't played in 2 years. The offense looked good, transition was good and defense was solid. Okay...it's only Fall Ball, but I wasn't expecting this from them. This is why Karin Brower Corbett is one of the BEST HC in D1.
Larry:
Why didnt you say hi? I completely agree with you. Penn was the best team Loyola played that day. MD and Denver following. Wasnt it on the 10TH - just pulling your chain. :D

My friend,watcherinthewoods, said something to me about you and your D when we were watching the games. Normally, I would have seeked you out, but my mobility is limited as of now. We pretty much stayed in the same place most of the day. I did get to see Jen and Dana. Got to give Dana a big hug and chat her up a bit, but Jen was talking with some committed recruits and their parents.
Hopefully we will meet in the Spring...if my health is better. I really like SYDNI BLACK! Showed me some stuff out there...quick and fast, with good skills. Only a Sophomore? She should be a standout this coming season.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:38 pm I really like SYDNI BLACK! Showed me some stuff out there...quick and fast, with good skills. Only a Sophomore? She should be a standout this coming season.
She is a pleasant surprise. Earned time with her wheels on the clear last year and then had a good set of games filling in after the injury to #24. IMO she has earned a spot...if not starter, first call up. She played middie last year most of the time, but looked to be playing alot of Attack on Sunday.

D had a rough day, but as they say..."It's Fall Ball" and its more important to see what else is available along the bench.
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

Princeton Teammates Sears, Donovan Shine for USA Women at Super Sixes:

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/usa-insi ... 32DrIvD0eM
OuttaNowhereWregget

Quakers release 2022 schedule

No easing back into lacrosse this year for Penn. Northwestern, Maryland and Duke are a few tough games. Glad to have the Ivy League back.

Saturday, Feb. 19 (3 p.m.): Delaware
Saturday, Feb. 26 (1 p.m.): Johns Hopkins
Saturday, March 5 (Noon): Harvard*
Wednesday, March 9 (3 p.m.): at Drexel
Sunday, March 13 (Noon): at Duke
Saturday, March 19 (1 p.m.): at Georgetown
Wednesday, March 23 (5 p.m.): at Maryland
Saturday, March 26 (Noon): at Yale*
Sunday, April 3 (Noon): Northwestern
Saturday, April 9 (Noon): at Cornell*
Saturday, April 16 (Noon): Brown*
Wednesday, April 20 (7 p.m.): at Princeton*
Saturday, April 23 (Noon): at Dartmouth*
Sunday, May 1 (Noon): Columbia*

Bold Home games | * Ivy League

“Women's Lacrosse
December 03, 2021

PHILADELPHIA – The University of Pennsylvania women's lacrosse program has officially announced its 2022 schedule, bolstering five opponents that finished the 2021 season in the IWLCA coaches poll.

"We are extremely excited to be finally competing again," said Karin Corbett, the Lois S. Leitner Head Coach. "We have a challenging schedule and are eager to have this young team compete with several of the top teams in the country. We have always wanted to play the best and improve every week. With this strength of schedule, it gives us an opportunity to compete for a spot in the NCAA tournament which is always a goal for us."

The Quakers, who played just one game last season due to the pandemic defeating La Salle at home, will host the first three games of the 2022 campaign in Franklin Field. The season opener is on February 19 against Delaware before hosting Johns Hopkins the following Saturday. The Blue Jays went 8-7 last year, finishing in the IWLCA poll at No. 17.

Ivy League play starts up on March 5 when Harvard comes to town. Penn is riding a 22-game win streak against the Crimson dating back to the 2001 season.

The three-game home stretch is followed by a five-game road series although the first game is against crosstown rival, Drexel, on March 9. The Dragons, who the Quakers own an 8-1 record over since 2007, had a record-breaking 2021 season that had them finish the year with a 13-3 record, No. 15 in the country. Penn heads out of the state for the next four games with trips to Duke, Georgetown, Maryland, and Yale. Duke, Maryland, and Drexel all made the NCAA tournament in 2021.

The Quakers return home on April 3 to host Northwestern in Penn Park, a team that advanced to the national semifinals in 2021 and finished No. 4 in Division I with a 15-1 record.

The rest of the season wraps up against Ivy opponents, including a handful that didn't have competition in 2021 due to the pandemic.”

https://pennathletics.com/news/2021/12/ ... edule.aspx

howdyyall

Post by howdyyall »

Any predictions for the season? I would imagine UPenn and Pton are the favorites again. But curious if anyone has some in depth predictions?
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Dartmouth and Princeton split the regular season title in the the last full season, 2019. The majority of the then sophomores and juniors on Princeton in Spring 2020 took 2021 off, so the Tigers will far and away have the most experienced roster. Outside of that all bets are off … these teams lost essentially two full seasons. Sad.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Big Green, baby!

Fairly tough slate after long layoff.

https://dartmouthsports.com/sports/wome ... e/schedule
Brownlax

Re: Big Green, baby!

Post by Brownlax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:12 pm Fairly tough slate after long layoff.

Am I missing something - how do you tell which games are home?
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

The white line in front of opponent indicates location. Line=away.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Brownlax wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:35 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:12 pm Fairly tough slate after long layoff.

Click the link to get a much easier to read schedule.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:29 pm
Brownlax wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:35 pm

Click the link to get a much easier to read schedule.
That sure is a lot of travel
OuttaNowhereWregget

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:05 pm That sure is a lot of travel
I don't know how that conclusion was arrived at. 7 games in home state of New Hampshire. After that, the team travels outside New England 4 times, twice to NY, once to New Jersey and once to Illinois. Hardly a lot of travel.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:24 pm
I don't know how that conclusion was arrived at. 7 games in home state of New Hampshire. After that, the team travels outside New England 4 times, twice to NY, once to New Jersey and once to Illinois. Hardly a lot of travel.
Which 7 games are in NH???
You're including the 5 home games?
What are the other 2? I see one, but maybe I'm mistaken.
9 away, 5 home games...sorry, that's a lot of travel games.
OuttaNowhereWregget

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:01 pm
Actually, it's not a lot of travel. Not even close.

If you want to remark on a lot of travel, check out Denver over the last few years. Here's an example--their 2019 schedule. Now that's a lot of travel.
https://denverpioneers.com/sports/women ... edule/2019

As far as Dartmouth's 2022 schedule, Big Green has 6 home games at Scully-Fahey field, not 5. The other game in NH is less than 2 hours away by bus to UNH. The games in Massachusetts and Rhode Island are easy bus rides--less than 3 hours to R.I. and even less time to Massachusetts. Then twice to NY, once to New Jersey and once to Illinois.

Dartmouth College

2022 Women's Lacrosse Schedule

Date Time At Opponent Location

Feb 19 (Sat) 1:00 PM Away New Hampshire Durham, NH

Feb 27 (Sun) 12:00 PM Away Stony Brook Stony Brook, NY

Mar 5 (Sat) 12:00 PM Home Yale Hanover, N.H. (Scully-Fahey Field)

Mar 8 (Tue) 7:00 PM Away Merrimack North Andover, MA

Mar 18 (Fri) 1:00 PM Home UMass Hanover, N.H. (Scully-Fahey Field)

Mar 21 (Mon) 7:00 PM Away Northwestern Evanston, IL

Mar 27 (Sun) 1:00 PM Away Brown Providence, RI

Mar 30 (Wed) 7:00 PM Away Boston College Chestnut Hill, MA

Apr 3 (Sun) 1:00 PM Away Harvard Cambridge, MA

Apr 9 (Sat) 3:30 PM Home Columbia Hanover, N.H. (Scully-Fahey Field)

Apr 16 (Sat) 12:00 PM Away Princeton Princeton, NJ

Apr 20 (Wed) 6:00 PM Home Vermont Hanover, N.H. (Scully-Fahey Field)

Apr 23 (Sat) 12:00 PM Home Penn Hanover, N.H. (Scully-Fahey Field)

Apr 26 (Tue) 3:00 PM Home Drexel Hanover, N.H. (Scully-Fahey Field)

Apr 30 (Sat) 3:00 PM Away Cornell Ithaca, NY
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:35 am

If you want to remark on a lot of travel, check out Denver over the last few years. Here's an example--their 2019 schedule. Now that's a lot of travel.

As far as Dartmouth's 2022 schedule, Big Green has 6 home games at Scully-Fahey field, not 5. The other game in NH is less than 2 hours away by bus to UNH. The games in Massachusetts and Rhode Island are easy bus rides--less than 3 hours to R.I. and even less time to Massachusetts. Then twice to NY, once to New Jersey and once to Illinois.

Dartmouth College

You're correct 6 home games, all the rest are away. 9 Away.
It's a lot of travel.

But sure, Denver requires more flights. This isn't Denver's or their conference's thread. So, I wasn't commenting on them.

But as long as you want to go out of conference, I know you admire the Boston College team.
9 home games, 8 away. And 2 of those (Harvard, UMass-Amherst) away are less than an hour drive, a third (Brown) is less than 2 hours.

Yes, there are benefits of location.
But usually the home and away is pretty balanced, tipping by one each way, year to year.

This is unusual for Dartmouth.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:40 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:35 am

Dartmouth College

You're correct 6 home games, all the rest are away. 9 Away.
It's a lot of travel.

But sure, Denver requires more flights. This isn't Denver's or their conference's thread. So, I wasn't commenting on them.

But as long as you want to go out of conference, I know you admire the Boston College team.
9 home games, 8 away. And 2 of those (Harvard, UMass-Amherst) away are less than an hour drive, a third (Brown) is less than 2 hours.

Yes, there are benefits of location.
But usually the home and away is pretty balanced, tipping by one each way, year to year.

This is unusual for Dartmouth.
Let me split hairs here, but BC to UMASS is a good hour and forty-five minutes without traffic. But I don't know how fast you drive :)

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”