All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

old salt

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:57 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:42 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:41 amBut there was no distribution plan for vaccines.
[Mostly False] -- https://www.wral.com/fact-check-biden-a ... /19497513/
:lol:
Hah, yes the “plan” was to dump the problem on the states and not fund it, but technically, that’s a “plan”. But really that’s a plan to fail.
Right. When Biden took office, state & local health depts suddenly became competent.
At the time, the limiting factor was supply, not fed funding.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:50 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:41 amBut there was no distribution plan for vaccines.
Hah, yes the “plan” was to dump the problem on the states and not fund it, but technically, that’s a “plan”. But really that’s a plan to fail.
Right. When Biden took office, state & local health depts suddenly became competent.
:lol: :roll: No they remained as they had been, struggling to stand up capabilities state by state by state, redundant efforts and uncoordinated. No national database, no efficiencies.

However, the Feds simply took a much more active hand in distribution...And funded the heck out of it, which the Trump Admin had neglected to do...because they didn't want their hands on it IMO.

The Biden Admin had no such reluctance. They also had no reluctance about publicly recommending vaccination as well as other preventive measures. whereas Trump hid his own vaccination and politicized masking.

But what needed to be done in the 6 months prior to first rollout, (which as you may recall I was saying all during that fall before first release_, was not done. Not started. And that was a national database of Covid status, tests, vaccines taken, etc, such that all could be tracked and organized, and enabling ultimately a health passport for travel etc.

I'd have liked to see the Biden Admin do it as soon as they came in, but perhaps they felt it was too late or would be too politically demonized. But that's what should have happened. Heck, it still should.

I said back during the transition that I'd have no difficulty being critical of the Biden Admin for their errors, and I predicted they'd make their share, so it's not hard for me to say that I think they've continued to stub their toe in communications and organization at many a turn, most recently in not getting it much more clear that getting a booster after 6 most, MRNA, etc would be very good on an individual basis. Instead, they let some of the public health officials' concern about international supply get in the way of clarity on this. They knew it would be good to get boosted, but didn't say so full throatedly. They're now doing so.

They're also late in focusing on making rapid at home rapid testing cheap or free the way some European countries have done...couple this capability with the at home drugs likely to be released this winter, and continued emphasis on vaccination/boosters and we really could get to a very reasonable 'endemic' rather than 'pandemic' challenge going forward (as long as no variants throw a monkey wrench).
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:37 am
:lol: :roll: No they remained as they had been, struggling to stand up capabilities state by state by state, redundant efforts and uncoordinated. No national database, no efficiencies.

However, the Feds simply took a much more active hand in distribution...And funded the heck out of it, which the Trump Admin had neglected to do...because they didn't want their hands on it IMO.

The Biden Admin had no such reluctance. They also had no reluctance about publicly recommending vaccination as well as other preventive measures. whereas Trump hid his own vaccination and politicized masking.
You may recall at that time, there was no significant vaccine hesitancy. Demand far outstripped supply. You could not get vaxxed unless you were > 75 or a 1st responder. There was no certainty how fast the just approved vaccines could be manufactured. Biden & the Dem Congress had plenty of time to make additional funds avail to the states. In the final mos of Trump's term, House Dems were criticizing Trump & trying to block him from redirecting HHS funding into Warp Speed. ...at the time candidates Biden & Harris were recommending against taking a Trump developed vaccine.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/public- ... d=73053566
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:04 pm

You may recall at that time, there was no significant vaccine hesitancy. Demand far outstripped supply. You could not get vaxxed unless you were > 75 or a 1st responder. There was no certainty how fast the just approved vaccines could be manufactured. Biden & the Dem Congress had plenty of time to make additional funds avail to the states. In the final mos of Trump's term, House Dems were criticizing Trump & trying to block him from redirecting HHS funding into Warp Speed. ...at the time candidates Biden & Harris were recommending against taking a Trump developed vaccine.

Funny how you ignore what I said, cut off the rest.

On part of your post, I agree...certainly in December and January demand far outstripped supply, but supplies were supposedly coming (bigger purchasing commitments from Biden Admin helped but I don't think that was really an issue the first months). My issue was in just tossing this to the states, unfunded, as if the federal government had no authority in a national emergency... and so we had 50 states + each trying to figure out how to distribute and track the distribution into arms...which was a miserable failure. Still is, IMO.

And no, Biden and Harris never recommended not taking the vaccine, but they did say (unhelpfully) that they wouldn't trust Trump rushing/pressuring approval outside of what the FDA's process would be...and they were right, Trump should have laid off and allowed the process to happen and then pushed hard to get shots in arms...instead he pretended that the virus was a 'hoax', then proposed amazingly stupid 'therapies', then he hid that he was infected, then later hid that he'd been vaccinated, all the while refusing to wear a mask. Quite the example! That was your guy.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:08 pm

On part of your post, I agree...certainly in December and January demand far outstripped supply, but supplies were supposedly coming (bigger purchasing commitments from Biden Admin helped but I don't think that was really an issue the first months). My issue was in just tossing this to the states, unfunded, as if the federal government had no authority in a national emergency... and so we had 50 states + each trying to figure out how to distribute and track the distribution into arms...which was a miserable failure. Still is, IMO.

And no, Biden and Harris never recommended not taking the vaccine, but they did say (unhelpfully) that they wouldn't trust Trump rushing/pressuring approval outside of what the FDA's process would be...and they were right, Trump should have laid off and allowed the process to happen and then pushed hard to get shots in arms...instead he pretended that the virus was a 'hoax', then proposed amazingly stupid 'therapies', then he hid that he was infected, then later hid that he'd been vaccinated, all the while refusing to wear a mask. Quite the example! That was your guy.
I excised the irrelevant extraneous blah blah that was not needed until after Trump left office & was well into Biden's term. Had Trump tried all you suggest as a lame duck, Biden would have criticized him for usurping his successor. As it was, Biden said he didn't trust Trump to develop a vaccine. There were CDC guidelines for the states to follow which worked just fine. For several months into Biden's term, supply remained the long pole in the tent.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Old Moderators die hard.
“I wish you would!”
CU88

Post by CU88 »

FEARING A FEAR OF GERMS
How Did the Surgical Mask Transform from a Sign of Bigotry to a Sign of Care?

Heather Murray | Oct 2, 2020

Whenever I see a medical face mask today, I immediately think of a photograph on the cover of Jerry Falwell’s Moral Majority Report from July 1983. The cover depicts a white family—father, mother, and two children—all wearing masks. The headline reads “Homosexual Diseases Threaten American Families.” While it wouldn’t be hard to imagine a “Chinese Viruses Threaten American Families” graphic produced today, the medical masks accompanying the xenophobic sentiment would be. Members of today’s libertarian Right are more likely to take a chainsaw to a surgical mask, viewing them as symbols of an alarming expansion of government power and scientific expertise, than to wear one, even to allay a fear of “foreign” germs.

https://www.historians.org/publications ... gn-of-care

r's are the masters of fear and hate; and nothing else.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:08 pm

I excised the irrelevant extraneous blah blah that was not needed until after Trump left office & was well into Biden's term. Had Trump tried all you suggest as a lame duck, Biden would have criticized him for usurping his successor. As it was, Biden said he didn't trust Trump to develop a vaccine. There were CDC guidelines for the states to follow which worked just fine. For several months into Biden's term, supply remained the long pole in the tent.
Again with the dumb misrepresentations. You're becoming just a Troll salty.

No, Biden didn't trust an early announcement of safety and efficacy from Trump prior to the data being released by the FDA. Not distrusting the vaccine (Trump didn't develop any vaccine, the scientists and Pharma companies did). But he wanted an announcement prematurely. And why not trust Trump? Because he's a lying POS, proven over and over again, and was so obviously focused on the election rather than public safety. So, any rational person distrusted anything out of Trump's mouth. (But it was not helpful to say so from a potential future POTUS, though I don't think it mattered in the slightest to the later on vaccine hesitancy movement).

And no, Trump's failures were before the election, not as a lame duck. But sure, post election at a minimum he should have been wearing a mask and publicly getting vaccinated. No one would have had a basis of criticism for either of those two actions post election.

Again, I'm perfectly willing to critique the Biden Admin, while you're busy defending your boy 'cause I like his policies'. BS.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:31 pm

Old Moderators die hard.
Yup. Loss of control is rough.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:39 pm
Old Moderators die hard.
:lol: ...so say the reigning self-imagined moderators of this forum.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:43 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:39 pm
Old Moderators die hard.
:lol: ...so say the reigning self-imagined moderators of this forum.
:D
News to me.
I guess from your perspective any sense of equality is a loss of power for you...kinda through line with you, huh?
Typical Lax Dad

Wife was told by a student earlier in semester he wasn’t vaccinate…. Today student emailed wife and told her he has COVID. It’s a small class in relatively close quarters….she wondered if the guy’s girlfriend was positive as she wasn’t in class…..later, got an email. She has COVID too. Wife will get tested tomorrow. As a teacher, she should put her life on the line even if students don’t want to protect her…..
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:25 pm Wife was told by a student earlier in semester he wasn’t vaccinate…. Today student emailed wife and told her he has COVID. It’s a small class in relatively close quarters….she wondered if the guy’s girlfriend was positive as she wasn’t in class…..later, got an email. She has COVID too. Wife will get tested tomorrow. As a teacher, she should put her life on the line even if students don’t want to protect her…..
Good luck...it's indeed ridiculous.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:49 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:25 pm Wife was told by a student earlier in semester he wasn’t vaccinate…. Today student emailed wife and told her he has COVID. It’s a small class in relatively close quarters….she wondered if the guy’s girlfriend was positive as she wasn’t in class…..later, got an email. She has COVID too. Wife will get tested tomorrow. As a teacher, she should put her life on the line even if students don’t want to protect her…..
Good luck...it's indeed ridiculous.
Should be fine. She has an 84 year old mother that we often see. Would be unfortunate if COVID-19 did her in but as folks here like to say, everyone going to die from something.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Thought colleges were requiring it
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:59 pm
Thought colleges were requiring it
Nope. Some do, some don’t.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I know new variant and all that but folks wearing masks spread out around a lacrosse field strikes me as silly.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:48 am I know new variant and all that but folks wearing masks spread out around a lacrosse field strikes me as silly.
The risk of transmission outdoors is minimal (I believe)…at the very least, it’s much safer. I guess someone can sneeze or cough in a huddle or spray droplets in your faces during the course of the game which could infect you if you are a bench buddy.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”