All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:40 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:27 pm
Kismet wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:09 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:26 pm
Bart wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:20 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:41 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/n ... ar-AAR7yUH

I'm just wondering where this all ends? Everyday there is conflicting reports about Covid in the USA and overseas. I was vaccinated because i was protecting myself from getting sick. I just had my booster shot so i don't get sick. Is it true that this virus will just keep mutating and making vaccines useless??
The variant is new. That is all we know right now. The fact that is has multiple different mutations on the spike means exactly that it......has multiple mutations on the spike. No one knows what it means in terms of vaccine efficacy or virulence at this point. The multiple mutations does suggest it is a new distinct clade from Delta and a independent mutational string of events. This is exactly what you would expect in a virus that is free to reproduce in certain areas of the world........it is a simple numbers game.
I understand what you are saying. The average person who has been beaten down with Covid fatigue can't see a light at the end of the tunnel.
Actually, that light might be an oncoming train. :D
The Jeebus Express coming for to carry you home…
Not to say the answer is to do nothing, but I sometimes think about this and especially with the news out of S. Africa this am and related from Europe the past two or so weeks, and wonder if this is just a planetary adjustment to the growth of human beings. Earth doing it's Malthusian best to people.
Humans are a plague. Makes you wonder if we are a foreign invasive species on this planet? Earth’s immune system may be kicking in. In geological time, we haven’t been here long.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:31 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:41 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/n ... ar-AAR7yUH

I'm just wondering where this all ends? Everyday there is conflicting reports about Covid in the USA and overseas. I was vaccinated because i was protecting myself from getting sick. I just had my booster shot so i don't get sick. Is it true that this virus will just keep mutating and making vaccines useless??
The variant is new. That is all we know right now. The fact that is has multiple different mutations on the spike means exactly that it......has multiple mutations on the spike. No one knows what it means in terms of vaccine efficacy or virulence at this point. The multiple mutations does suggest it is a new distinct clade from Delta and a independent mutational string of events. This is exactly what you would expect in a virus that is free to reproduce in certain areas of the world........it is a simple numbers game.
I understand what you are saying. The average person who has been beaten down with Covid fatigue can't see a light at the end of the tunnel.
Not to say the answer is to do nothing, but I sometimes think about this and especially with the news out of S. Africa this am and related from Europe the past two or so weeks, and wonder if this is just a planetary adjustment to the growth of human beings. Earth doing it's Malthusian best to people.
Humans are a plague. Makes you wonder if we are a foreign invasive species on this planet? Earth’s immune system may be kicking in. In geological time, we haven’t been here long.
I posed a sci-fi type argument similarly to that awhile back. As if we are just bio-matter inside of a larger body (even our solar system).....like the Magic School Bus on shroom'. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:38 am

I posed a sci-fi type argument similarly to that awhile back. As if we are just bio-matter inside of a larger body (even our solar system).....like the Magic School Bus on shroom'. :lol:
Covered by Smith in the Matrix.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Have seen the heat maps of population growth overplayed with a cancer chart in a body and they look eerily similar.

Another book to put at the bottom of your list I think you’d like.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Plague_(novel)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:40 am

Have seen the heat maps of population growth overplayed with a cancer chart in a body and they look eerily similar.

I read that years ago.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:48 am

I read that years ago.
Top three for me w Player Piano and Cats Cradle by Vonnegut. Though I’m still a sucker for all things Dickens and Inferno by Dante. (Non fiction stuff anyway)
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Found a copy in one of those free book exchanges just before rhe pandemic kicked in. Serendipity is a funny thing.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:20 pm

Found a copy in one of those free book exchanges just before rhe pandemic kicked in. Serendipity is a funny thing.
Sweet, I love it. Depressing as balls but have read it 3-4x may go back again at some point as last reading was well over 10x ago
tech37

Post by tech37 »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:02 am
tech37 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:21 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:46 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:37 pm

what conflicting reports are you speaking about?

it's true the virus will just keep mutating. it's possible (or more than possible) that will make present-day vaccines against those mutations less effective. or even useless. it's then also just as possible (moreso) the vaccines will adjust accordingly. maybe our immune systems will as well and herd comes about at some point.

what we might need is a benign mutation that is wimpy on killing or seriously compromising folks, but is crazy infectious. and that doesn't have the ability to mutate out it's signalling capacity.

any details on the r0 of this one and how slippery it is to the vaxx? case fatality? south africa like the rest of africa not vaxxed much?

#notaninfectiousdiseaseexpert
By conflicting reports I am referring to what is reported on our local news everyday. Covid protocols and recommendations change from day to day and from county to county and city to city and state to state. There is almost no consensus across the board what the correct strategy should be.
Effective therapeutics
No. That will never stop the pandemic.

DocBarrister
No one said that, genius.

We should have vaccines and therapeutics. The vaccines are not enough (face it, not everyone is going to be vaccinated...give it up!) with break through cases and new variants which may be ineffective. Hopefully not. When someone gets sick, whether vaxxed or not, therapeutics are then needed. Fewer sick people = less transmission. The vaccination zealots on here just can't comprehend this.
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:33 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:02 am
tech37 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:21 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:46 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:37 pm

what conflicting reports are you speaking about?

it's true the virus will just keep mutating. it's possible (or more than possible) that will make present-day vaccines against those mutations less effective. or even useless. it's then also just as possible (moreso) the vaccines will adjust accordingly. maybe our immune systems will as well and herd comes about at some point.

what we might need is a benign mutation that is wimpy on killing or seriously compromising folks, but is crazy infectious. and that doesn't have the ability to mutate out it's signalling capacity.

any details on the r0 of this one and how slippery it is to the vaxx? case fatality? south africa like the rest of africa not vaxxed much?

#notaninfectiousdiseaseexpert
By conflicting reports I am referring to what is reported on our local news everyday. Covid protocols and recommendations change from day to day and from county to county and city to city and state to state. There is almost no consensus across the board what the correct strategy should be.
Effective therapeutics
No. That will never stop the pandemic.

DocBarrister
No one said that, genius.

We should have vaccines and therapeutics. The vaccines are not enough (face it, not everyone is going to be vaccinated...give it up!) with break through cases and new variants which may be ineffective. Hopefully not. When someone gets sick, whether vaxxed or not, therapeutics are then needed. Fewer sick people = less transmission. The vaccination zealots on here just can't comprehend this.
Fewer people that contract the disease = less transmission….Just ran into one of my old gym buddies. He told me the guy that worked the front desk contracted COVID along with his wife. They were both on ventilators. The wife survived, the husband didn’t. Both weren’t vaccinated. I was stunned. Nice guy. Had been there for years.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

We are about to cross the 800,000 death threshold…..we are sitting on 799,000+…….. who would have thought that was possible.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

We just put travel restrictions on a handful of African countries as “an abundance of caution”.

Garbage liquidity in half day but equity markets were down 2-2.5%, 10yr is up 2pts in 1.5 trading days.

I just hope my plans for the kids to be at Disney in Feb don’t get trashed since we’ve prepaid I don’t know how many thousands fo dollars to stay onsite.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:05 pm We just put travel restrictions on a handful of African countries as “an abundance of caution”.

Garbage liquidity in half day but equity markets were down 2-2.5%, 10yr is up 2pts in 1.5 trading days.

I just hope my plans for the kids to be at Disney in Feb don’t get trashed since we’ve prepaid I don’t know how many thousands fo dollars to stay onsite.
Too late. If it’s in Bulgaria (cosmopolitan nexus), then it’s everywhere. We kindly flew it over on one them thar jet aeroplanes…

Buckle up, boys and girls.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

So does these mean we can now call Biden names for banning travel from Africa? :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:21 pm So does these mean we can now call Biden names for banning travel from Africa? :lol:
Names like “proactive”, “concerned about his citizenry”, etc

It would be beyond foolish to suggest this is the same as someone calling places “sh*tholes”. You wouldn’t possibly be making an analogy to that would you?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:21 pm So does these mean we can now call Biden names for banning travel from Africa? :lol:
No. I'll go with evidence-based and prudent for $1,000,000,000 Alex:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... -lockdown/

"Two planes carrying some 600 passengers from South Africa brought 61 people infected with covid to the Netherlands, Dutch health authorities said on Saturday after halting flights from several southern African countries over fears of the new omicron variant.

Passengers were tested at the airport and those with infections will be isolated at a hotel, a regional Dutch health agency said. The health body did not immediately return a request for comment early Saturday on whether the omicron variant was detected among the positive samples, though it has said researchers were racing to make a determination “as soon as possible.”

Omicron, a variant of the coronavirus that some scientists fear could be more transmissible than delta, was labeled as a “variant of concern” by the World Health Organization Friday. It was first detected in the southern region of Africa, where cases have started rising again in recent days.

A new round of countries on Saturday rushed to ban or curb travel from there in a bid to stem the spread of the just-discovered variant, which has raised concern about the global trajectory of the pandemic. The United States, the European Union and Britain swiftly imposed travel restrictions on South Africa and its neighbors including Zimbabwe and Botswana, though the variant has also been identified in Belgium, Hong Kong and Israel.

Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport, where the two Friday flights landed, saw over 71 million passengers in 2019, making it one of the busiest and most connected travel hubs in the world."

Good try. You keep supporting people who want to end democracy. Nice story for the grandkids someday.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:51 am

Good try. You keep supporting people who want to end democracy. Nice story for the grandkids someday.
:lol: :lol: oooooh Im sorry seacoster, that was incorrect, the correct answer is "Double-Standard". ;)

Not supporting anyone.....no need to read any more in to it than simply banning travel from a country. Appreciate you keeping up with MSNBC talking points by lumping anyone not you, into a category of against democracy.

Seems Joe already knew how to control CV-19 back in March of 2020, he just failed to tell us....implying banning travel was a bad choice.
Joe Biden
@JoeBiden

United States government official
A wall will not stop the coronavirus.

Banning all travel from Europe — or any other part of the world — will not stop it.

This disease could impact every nation and any person on the planet — and we need a plan to combat it.
8:05 PM · Mar 12, 2020

~Livy

Bart

Post by Bart »

"Two planes carrying some 600 passengers from South Africa brought 61 people infected with covid to the Netherlands, Dutch health authorities said on Saturday after halting flights from several southern African countries over fears of the new omicron variant.

Passengers were tested at the airport and those with infections will be isolated at a hotel, a regional Dutch health agency said. The health body did not immediately return a request for comment early Saturday on whether the omicron variant was detected among the positive samples, though it has said researchers were racing to make a determination “as soon as possible.”

Omicron, a variant of the coronavirus that some scientists fear could be more transmissible than delta, was labeled as a “variant of concern” by the World Health Organization Friday. It was first detected in the southern region of Africa, where cases have started rising again in recent days.

A new round of countries on Saturday rushed to ban or curb travel from there in a bid to stem the spread of the just-discovered variant, which has raised concern about the global trajectory of the pandemic. The United States, the European Union and Britain swiftly imposed travel restrictions on South Africa and its neighbors including Zimbabwe and Botswana, though the variant has also been identified in Belgium, Hong Kong and Israel.

Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport, where the two Friday flights landed, saw over 71 million passengers in 2019, making it one of the busiest and most connected travel hubs in the world."

IMO travel bans do nothing to stop the spread of the virus. Makes people feel good I suppose. If people do not think this variant is in Europe and will soon be here I think they are being naive.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:40 am

:lol: :lol: oooooh Im sorry seacoster, that was incorrect, the correct answer is "Double-Standard". ;)

Not supporting anyone.....no need to read any more in to it than simply banning travel from a country. Appreciate you keeping up with MSNBC talking points by lumping anyone not you, into a category of against democracy.

Seems Joe already knew how to control CV-19 back in March of 2020, he just failed to tell us....implying banning travel was a bad choice.
Joe Biden
@JoeBiden

United States government official
A wall will not stop the coronavirus.

Banning all travel from Europe — or any other part of the world — will not stop it.

This disease could impact every nation and any person on the planet — and we need a plan to combat it.
8:05 PM · Mar 12, 2020

youth, you're smarter than this.

In March 2020, Biden or anyone else who said that banning travel from Europe or anywhere else was already too late was correct.

Horses were already out of the barn.
Covid was already in the US and spreading. Too late.
We needed to focus on measures to slow spread here.

It may well be too late to stop this variant from getting out of Africa and to the US. But we don't know that yet.

But if it's not here yet, slowing it up may well give the scientists time to make adjustments to the vaccines, boosters, etc, such that we can squelch it when it does appear (as is likely inevitable).

I think we'll learn a lot more about this new variant in the next few weeks.

EDIT: I agree with Bart that travel bans won't stop the variant from eventually getting here. I think the point is to try to slow it up, give the scientists a window.

Return to “POLITICS”