6 v 6

D1 Womens Lacrosse
EasyRider

Re: 6 v 6

Post by EasyRider »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:31 pmAgain, this is NOT lacrosse and personally I would much rather watch a good college or World Cup game than this. But this is better than nothing, and for the purpose of growing the game, it might be better than the college version.
Well said.
DMac

Post by DMac »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:31 pm Again, this is NOT lacrosse and personally I would much rather watch a good college or World Cup game than this. But this is better than nothing, and for the purpose of growing the game, it might be better than the college version.
Better than nothing in this case is like saying a person who has a dollar, one beer, a loosie, and a fattie, isn't down and out and broke. This is pick up street ball stuff that is being pushed "for the purpose of growing the game". Careful what you wish for because this isn't an attempt to grow THE game, it's an attempt to grow THEIR game. There's an agenda here, make no mistake about that, there's no interest in growing the college game, this is about revolutionizing the game.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

DMac wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:03 pm
laxagainsthumanity wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:31 pm Again, this is NOT lacrosse and personally I would much rather watch a good college or World Cup game than this. But this is better than nothing, and for the purpose of growing the game, it might be better than the college version.
Better than nothing in this case is like saying a person who has a dollar, one beer, a loosie, and a fattie, isn't down and out and broke. This is pick up street ball stuff that is being pushed "for the purpose of growing the game". Careful what you wish for because this isn't an attempt to grow THE game, it's an attempt to grow THEIR game. There's an agenda here, make no mistake about that, there's no interest in growing the college game, this is about revolutionizing the game.
Maybe this is the future of the women's NCAA game? Smaller rosters, less costly to run a team with less players. Maybe this is part of their agenda??
DMac

Post by DMac »

That's what I see the agenda being for the reasons you mention. Smaller field, less skill, smaller roster, etc....and I wouldn't restrict it to the women's game.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

TNLAX wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:42 pm
Maybe this is the future of the women's NCAA game? Smaller rosters, less costly to run a team with less players. Maybe this is part of their agenda??
I'm with DMac, and if this is the future of the NCAA game, count me out.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:22 pm
TNLAX wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:42 pm
I'm with DMac, and if this is the future of the NCAA game, count me out.
I cant imagine the game changing at any level other than this particular case. That said, I am with you on your statements.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

it's a variation. Like beach soccer, indoor soccer, etc. just a variation...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:25 pm it's a variation. Like beach soccer, indoor soccer, etc. just a variation...
Beach soccer, indoor soccer....two fun sports I am sure, but not what I want to watch.... :D
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Whose agenda is this? The Lacrosse Deep State? Nobody is talking about changing the college game to this. There's a pretty clear vision for that version of wlax that a lot of people have spent a lot of time making a reality. A decade ago, wlax was a game of stalling, long possessions, stopping on the whistle, no running through the crease, no self starts, calling back goals for shooting space, a number of silly procedural annoyances... The rule changes that have amended these issues have been calculated and deliberate. Based on the direction the college game has been headed and the fact that there hasn't been a recent coup that I'm aware of, why would you think that the same people who made the college game so much better over the past 10+ years would scrap it for small-field 6v6?? "There's no interest in growing the college game, this is about revolutionizing the game." What are you talking about? The number of women's teams has almost doubled over the past 15 years and lacrosse is one of the fastest growing youth sports in the country, thanks to the efforts of US Lacrosse, college coaches/teams giving back to their local community, and a hell of a lot of grassroots work. There are years of evidence that wlax is moving in a great direction, and now all of a sudden because this might be the only format we can get into the Olympics at this time, the same people who have been moving the game forward have a hidden agenda to destroy the game? What??
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Also DMac, you keep saying this requires less skill. That is absolutely not true. Opening up the field by playing 6v6 rewards high-IQ players who can think two steps ahead, and between the breakneck pace that creates and the fact that the field dimensions are reduced, there is very little time to think or room for error. This version demands MORE skill, not less (which is why it would be a great practice exercise). Just because the most skilled players in the world can make it look easy, doesn't mean it doesn't require skill.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Baloney, it requires less skill, there is plenty and plenty and plenty of room for error in this game as a loss of possession is going to cost you next to nothing. You don't have to be nearly as close to a complete player in this game as you do the field game. Sure, it's a run and gun fast paced game which is great for street ball or a practice drill, but it does not take more skill. You play lousy D and get beat and your opponent scores, what happens then? Your opponent get the ball back and come right back at you? Nope, no biggie you get the ball back and go the other other way, D doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot (no draw diminishes the value of a possession as well as the cost of an error/poor D). A fast paced game doesn't equal more skill. If you want to make this a more fair game, shrink the goals...a lot...and allow a whole lot more contact (we playing box now?). This version doesn't require more skill, it requires more endurance and speed.
I've played both box and field lacrosse and I understand the difference. Box will make you think quicker and play faster but it also allows for a whole lot more error which isn't nearly as costly as in the field game, and the box game is a whole lot more about speed/quickness/endurance than the field game (which again, does not equate to more skill). This game is going to happen and it doesn't matter what I think, but I'd bet you dollars to doughnuts that there is indeed an agenda here. The graceful, elegant, field game is being looked at as a dinosaur here like a movie is to Tik Tok. Fan's (that casual fan's) attention span doesn't allow for such a slow paced and pretty game as the field version so let's "grow the game" with a different one.

Edit: Ask yourself this, does the flow of this game look more like basketball or lacrosse? Is that what the casual fans wants (yup)? Would the money people in lacrosse $ell the game out in the name of "growing the game" (yup, we've already seen that, this is phase two)?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

DMac: "....it requires less skill, there is plenty and plenty and plenty of room for error in this game as a loss of possession is going to cost you next to nothing. You don't have to be nearly as close to a complete player in this game as you do the field game. Sure, it's a run and gun fast paced game which is great for street ball or a practice drill, but it does not take more skill. You play lousy D and get beat and your opponent scores, what happens then? Your opponent get the ball back and come right back at you? Nope, no biggie you get the ball back and go the other other way, D doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot (no draw diminishes the value of a possession as well as the cost of an error/poor D). A fast paced game doesn't equal more skill. If you want to make this a more fair game, shrink the goals...a lot...and allow a whole lot more contact (we playing box now?). This version doesn't require more skill, it requires more endurance and speed."

Completely agree with this. One of the things I love about women's lacrosse is that, at its best, it is a game for intelligent people; you cannot be a dummy and play the game well. And this really fun and exhausting 6v6 version totally diminishes the completeness required of a player, and the intelligence and risk-evaluation of the players.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:13 pm DMac: "....it requires less skill, there is plenty and plenty and plenty of room for error in this game as a loss of possession is going to cost you next to nothing. You don't have to be nearly as close to a complete player in this game as you do the field game. Sure, it's a run and gun fast paced game which is great for street ball or a practice drill, but it does not take more skill. You play lousy D and get beat and your opponent scores, what happens then? Your opponent get the ball back and come right back at you? Nope, no biggie you get the ball back and go the other other way, D doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot (no draw diminishes the value of a possession as well as the cost of an error/poor D). A fast paced game doesn't equal more skill. If you want to make this a more fair game, shrink the goals...a lot...and allow a whole lot more contact (we playing box now?). This version doesn't require more skill, it requires more endurance and speed."

Completely agree with this. One of the things I love about women's lacrosse is that, at its best, it is a game for intelligent people; you cannot be a dummy and play the game well. And this really fun and exhausting 6v6 version totally diminishes the completeness required of a player, and the intelligence and risk-evaluation of the players.
Totally agree. I watch a lot of defense and I think the schemes,slides, team defense and athletes that stop your first attack and then make it really hard to score is one of the great things about the current game. The defense that exhausts the shot clock is a part of the game that will not be shown in that 6v6 game. That is hard and when a defense can do that , they lift the whole team. Like football (and maybe soccer, basketball, hockey) defense wins games. The run and gun doesn't allow that to happen to the same level as the current game. We all know defensive standouts/AA that can take over a game...it's subtle, but an important part that I fear would be lost in that hectic shooting gallery. I don't know enough about Goalies, maybe they become a bigger part of the 6v6, but with all the open space, it may be hard to stop anything. Maybe there is a reason that indoor Men's lax has the goalies in the steroid pads and a mini goal....sure wouldn't want that for the beautiful game.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Happy Thanksgiving to y'all. I hope all of you are enveloped in your families and loved ones, eating too much and avoiding the family psychodramas that I remember when my Irish family overdid things in my youth. There is much to be thankful for. Hope we get our game back in 2021, and that Dr. Tact's daughter scores a couple or three in the semis.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:10 am . There is much to be thankful for. Hope we get our game back in 2021, and that Dr. Tact's daughter scores a couple or three in the semis.
We are hoping for a return to playing. Men's forum seems to think that like the current football schedule, the games will be scheduled with intermittent cancellations based on covid status, which will help the big rosters like Cuse.

We have a tourney for the youngest D tomorrow. No spectators. I'm "coaching" so I am allowed 😁. Top 20 HS in our area, but no parents for the 4 hour tourney.

Spent an hour watching you tube videos of oldest D in high school.... Just to get my fix. 🐕🐶😊 I know. its kinda lame....
spartanslynx

Post by spartanslynx »

Selena Lasota joins Iroquois Nationals for the Super Sixes event 24-25 October
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

spartanslynx wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:50 pm Selena Lasota joins Iroquois Nationals for the Super Sixes event 24-25 October

Always liked Selena when she played at NU, but I still will have ZERO interest in this format.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:59 am
spartanslynx wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:50 pm Selena Lasota joins Iroquois Nationals for the Super Sixes event 24-25 October

Always liked Selena when she played at NU, but I still will have ZERO interest in this format.
Ditto on both.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Anyone watch any of this?
Thoughts?
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

DMac wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:43 pm Anyone watch any of this?
Thoughts?

I did not...and will not.
The better more Athletic version of this just started...it's called the NBA, Men's and Women's College Basketball. That's my bloviated, know it all opinion on the 6 v 6.

What are your thoughts DMac?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”