Big Ten 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
AreaLax

Re: Big Ten 2022

Post by AreaLax »

Big Ten, Pac-12, ACC alliance expected to be formally announced soon: Sources

Schools within the three conferences believe they are like-minded, that they want to continue to prioritize broad-based sports offerings and that the academic profile of their institutions matters — as does graduating athletes. For example, Big Ten schools sponsor an average of 24.8 sports per campus, with the ACC (23.8) and Pac-12 (22.9) not far behind. SEC schools offer an average of 19.9 sports.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

hmmm wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:24 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:07 pm
jhu06 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:39 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:57 pm
hmmm wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:30 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:00 pm
jhu06 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:50 am If ohio can raise $21 million for something that looks like a suburban rec league enterprise those schools can field mens d1 teams.
Homewood is kind of a POS.
Gasp!!! Homewood is not a POS. It was built in 1906. People don't call Wrigley and Fenway a POS. Plus with Cordish, the lax teams have fantastic facilities.
Cordish is not as impressive as it once was. People have passed that facility by.
Cordish comes with 130 years of storied tradition on the sports most iconic venue. Go on google type in a new basketball, baseball or football stadium and read all the glitzy headlines from when it was built then realize it was demolished 20 years ago and fenway, wrigley, lambeau and msg are still there.
I don’t see how that makes it nice. That’s great Hopkins is so storied, but kids don’t care that much and now it’s becoming a D3 school trying to keep up with the growing resources of the rest of the B1G. I don’t see kids lining up to play at UCLA just because they play in the rose bowl. Homewood feels like it hasn’t been updated in years, aside from the lacrosse community in Baltimore, it just isn’t that great of a venue. I really couldn’t care less about who used to play there in their hay day. New Yankee stadium > old yankee stadium.
There's no better atmosphere in the whole sport of lacrosse than a Hopkins/MD game at Homewood. I don't even think that's debatable. If you've attended one of those games and don't agree I don't think there is anything anyone can say that would change your mind on Homewood.
I’m really not arguing that. Atmosphere is another thing. I’m saying that “physically” homewood kinda stinks. I understand how it’s all intertwined, but the venue itself is being caught up with, if Hopkins continues to decline, the atmosphere will lessen over the next 20 years.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Hopkins is spending $25 million to redo the athletic center attached to homewood it changed up 20 years ago just before I got there so I'm sure your comments have actually been considered there. The problem is that 80 percent of events there probably get less than 25 percent capacity and so it doesn't really get the wear and tear that other facilities do and there isn't the impetus to update to meet revenue and other modern issues.

Homewood was built in 1906 but unlike a lot of the stadiums from that era it doesn't really have any interesting or unique characteristics except all the success of the teams that have used it.

ggait, we'll see.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:38 pm
jhu06 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:50 am If ohio can raise $21 million for something that looks like a suburban rec league enterprise those schools can field mens d1 teams.
Gasp!!! Homewood is not a POS. It was built in 1906. People don't call Wrigley and Fenway a POS. Plus with Cordish, the lax teams have fantastic facilities.
Cordish is not as impressive as it once was. People have passed that facility by.
Cordish comes with 130 years of storied tradition on the sports most iconic venue. Go on google type in a new basketball, baseball or football stadium and read all the glitzy headlines from when it was built then realize it was demolished 20 years ago and fenway, wrigley, lambeau and msg are still there.
I don’t see how that makes it nice. That’s great Hopkins is so storied, but kids don’t care that much and now it’s becoming a D3 school trying to keep up with the growing resources of the rest of the B1G. I don’t see kids lining up to play at UCLA just because they play in the rose bowl. Homewood feels like it hasn’t been updated in years, aside from the lacrosse community in Baltimore, it just isn’t that great of a venue. I really couldn’t care less about who used to play there in their hay day. New Yankee stadium > old yankee stadium.
There's no better atmosphere in the whole sport of lacrosse than a Hopkins/MD game at Homewood. I don't even think that's debatable. If you've attended one of those games and don't agree I don't think there is anything anyone can say that would change your mind on Homewood.
I’m really not arguing that. Atmosphere is another thing. I’m saying that “physically” homewood kinda stinks. I understand how it’s all intertwined, but the venue itself is being caught up with, if Hopkins continues to decline, the atmosphere will lessen over the next 20 years.
Truly what are you even talking about

They’re perfectly normal metal bleachers in fine condition like 99% of other lacrosse venues. You go and you sit down and you look at the field. Good views no matter where you sit. Nice new entry staircase area with the Bob Scott statue. Please provide the evidence that “Homewood physically stinks.” The bathrooms could probably afford to be painted or something but I don’t think I’ve ever been in a “nice” college stadium bathroom. There is nothing physical about the venue whatsoever from a fan perspective that stinks or is “a POS.” You’re acting like the place is falling apart. It’s totally normal. Class of 52, Rutgers, Byrd, Ridley, Jonny U, list goes on—it’s the exact same at these places so if Homewood is a POS then so is basically every lax venue that wasn’t built in the last 5 years.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:10 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:38 pm
Truly what are you even talking about

They’re perfectly normal metal bleachers in fine condition like 99% of other lacrosse venues. You go and you sit down and you look at the field. Good views no matter where you sit. Nice new entry staircase area with the Bob Scott statue. Please provide the evidence that “Homewood physically stinks.” The bathrooms could probably afford to be painted or something but I don’t think I’ve ever been in a “nice” college stadium bathroom. There is nothing physical about the venue whatsoever from a fan perspective that stinks or is “a POS.” You’re acting like the place is falling apart. It’s totally normal. Class of 52, Rutgers, Byrd, Ridley, Jonny U, list goes on—it’s the exact same at these places so if Homewood is a POS then so is basically every lax venue that wasn’t built in the last 5 years.

As a UMD fan Totally agree. Homewood is the best lacrosse stadium in a cool area. The Wrigley, Fenway, Lambeau field types are the best.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Well thats anachronistic to the existence of Hop. Unless that’s your point.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Jackson Reid, Justin Inacio, and Griffin Hughes are back for their 5th year At OSU
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:26 am Well thats anachronistic to the existence of Hop. Unless that’s your point.
the throwback jersey games were cool. Instead of switching the uniforms and helmets every week wish they'd do a heritage game every year at homewood w/a rival where they do throwbacks from a random decade like they've done w/maryland a few times.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:07 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:26 am Well thats anachronistic to the existence of Hop. Unless that’s your point.
the throwback jersey games were cool. Instead of switching the uniforms and helmets every week wish they'd do a heritage game every year at homewood w/a rival where they do throwbacks from a random decade like they've done w/maryland a few times.
Should find a way to play where the old Washington club played or something. Like ugly sweater Christmas you guys roll the dice on a hashtag nightmare and bring back the ugliest girls from hop you can dig up and stuff them into cheerleader outfits strategically placed behind the opponents end.

I’d love to have Hobart set up a game on tribal grounds (unless that would violate something for them which I’m not aware of), even a triple header w Syracuse and Cornell. We would require that fans be allowed to bring trout to the game as a stipulation of course. And Hobarts groundskeepers have already offered to provide their services in their free time to manage the playing surface too!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Got another 7yr student athlete for you here to add to then list

https://www.d3football.com/columns/arou ... -long-road
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Will this be Michigan's breakout year? Don't forget that:

-Coach Conry will be in his fifth year in Ann Arbor.
-Most to all of the talent will be his.
-Conry has recruited great.
-The Wolverines were playing well at the end of last season.
-They had a very young team last season.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Michigan been a sleeping giant .Howard did a nice job with basketball team, need to rid themselves of Harbaugh.
a fan

Post by a fan »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:36 am Will this be Michigan's breakout year? Don't forget that:

All of which is irrelevant because they have to get through Hopkins, Maryland, O State, Rutgers, and Penn St. to get an NCAA bid.

They were 3-9 against those teams last year. Which tells me that no, he hasn't recruited great.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

a fan wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:35 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:36 am Will this be Michigan's breakout year? Don't forget that:

All of which is irrelevant because they have to get through Hopkins, Maryland, O State, Rutgers, and Penn St. to get an NCAA bid.

They were 3-9 against those teams last year. Which tells me that no, he hasn't recruited great.
No, that doesn’t mean he hasn’t recruited great. Don’t forget that, up until recently, lots of the talent wasn’t his. His team was very young last year. Mostly freshman and sophomores. Could that have been a factor? Not sure. Also, coaching has a lot to do with success and failures of a program, too. Could he maybe not be the coach who can get them to being a rock-solid program? We will see. This coming season, as I will continue to say, we will get a better than ever idea on him as a coach of a program in a major conference.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

stupefied wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:14 am Michigan been a sleeping giant .Howard did a nice job with basketball team, need to rid themselves of Harbaugh.
Michigan has some nice talent...young guys ready to break through...doing it is easier said than done...but they will get their shots at Maryland, Hop, Rutgers, OSU and PSU...we will see. UM fans should be bullish...or maybe a better approach is to be cautiously optimistic

You are right on Harbaugh...UM football hasn't won a big ten title since 2004
a fan

Post by a fan »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:16 pm No, that doesn’t mean he hasn’t recruited great. Don’t forget that, up until recently, lots of the talent wasn’t his.
When 3/4's of the recruits are yours, and you're 3-9? Come on. You're not doing a great job recruiting for that season. But I don't put that on Conry....it's the program that's sending elite kids elsewhere.
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:16 pm His team was very young last year. Mostly freshman and sophomores. Could that have been a factor? Not sure. Also, coaching has a lot to do with success and failures of a program, too.
Not to take you on a tangent, but I don't agree at all if we're talking about taking a D1 Lacrosse program to Final Fours with consistency. Recruiting is everything, with anything else being a distant fourth place.

Conry is case in point. He's a top notch, very young coach, who coached teams to multiple Final Fours, and multiple Big Ten titles. He's not winning at UMich because he doesn't have the talent , relative to Final Four teams. Period.
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:16 pm Could he maybe not be the coach who can get them to being a rock-solid program?
If anyone can do it, he can. But as I tried to tell you when he was hired on Laxpower----Michigan isn't the draw you think it is. And their record has shown I was correct. It's a brand new program, and it takes time to get elite recruits to show up with any regularity.

If I"m the AD at Michigan? I'm holding on to Conry for a heckuva lot longer, so long as I'm happy with how the kids are doing in the classroom as well as off the field.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:36 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:16 pm No, that doesn’t mean he hasn’t recruited great. Don’t forget that, up until recently, lots of the talent wasn’t his.
When 3/4's of the recruits are yours, and you're 3-9? Come on. You're not doing a great job recruiting for that season. But I don't put that on Conry....it's the program that's sending elite kids elsewhere.
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:16 pm His team was very young last year. Mostly freshman and sophomores. Could that have been a factor? Not sure. Also, coaching has a lot to do with success and failures of a program, too.
Not to take you on a tangent, but I don't agree at all if we're talking about taking a D1 Lacrosse program to Final Fours with consistency. Recruiting is everything, with anything else being a distant fourth place.

Conry is case in point. He's a top notch, very young coach, who coached teams to multiple Final Fours, and multiple Big Ten titles. He's not winning at UMich because he doesn't have the talent , relative to Final Four teams. Period.
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:16 pm Could he maybe not be the coach who can get them to being a rock-solid program?
If anyone can do it, he can. But as I tried to tell you when he was hired on Laxpower----Michigan isn't the draw you think it is. And their record has shown I was correct. It's a brand new program, and it takes time to get elite recruits to show up with any regularity.

If I"m the AD at Michigan? I'm holding on to Conry for a heckuva lot longer, so long as I'm happy with how the kids are doing in the classroom as well as off the field.
They were 8-6 Paul’s last year and his first year. Had ranked recruiting classes then. Lost kids like Lombardi and had multiple flips under Conroy, more than under Paul. Everyone uses the “he needs his guys thing” and itsp nothing more than air cover to buy time rather than reality 80-90% of the time it’s utilized as a heuristic.

You’re last comment is true for all but maybe 3-4 programs in college lacrosse. It’s not a business despite what some wanna bes will insist-thats the HD club circuit not college.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

I hope you are right that Conry IS, indeed, a top-notch, very young coach. But when he coached teams to multiple Final Fours and Big Ten titles, he was an assistant. Now he is a head coach. Yes, there have been several excellent assistants at high levels in all of sports who have gone on to be very fine head coaches in top conferences, too. On the other hand, there have been many rock-solid assistants at the highest levels who ended up NOT doing so well as head coaches at the same level. The difference between being a head coach and an assistant coach is like night and day. Now, as for Conry, we will see what ends up being the case for him in the long run. I do hope he is an example of a coach who ends up having done great in a top conference as both an assistant and as a head coach. Since even more of the talent will be his in 2022, and since the Wolverines were looking quite a bit improved at the end of 2021, I definitely have confidence in him. And yes, he has recruited quite well. He has gotten a tremendous amount of players who have been 4* and higher. By the way, Michigan is, indeed, the draw I think it is. Even if they haven't had great success, they are still getting lots of highly-recruited players. Think about what they have to offer. Yes, multiple other programs have the same things, but still:

-a member of one of the better conferences in College Lacrosse
-a beautiful, lacrosse-only stadium and top-notch facilities
-a beautiful campus
-one of the finest state schools in America
-one of the finest major college towns in America

Michigan is a program that has the potential to be great. Yes, regardless of the results, Conry is recruiting very well. Let's see if that can start translating into solid seasons.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:53 am

I hope you are right that Conry IS, indeed, a top-notch, very young coach. But when he coached teams to multiple Final Fours and Big Ten titles, he was an assistant. Now he is a head coach. Yes, there have been several excellent assistants at high levels in all of sports who have gone on to be very fine head coaches in top conferences, too. On the other hand, there have been many rock-solid assistants at the highest levels who ended up NOT doing so well as head coaches at the same level. The difference between being a head coach and an assistant coach is like night and day. Now, as for Conry, we will see what ends up being the case for him in the long run. I do hope he is an example of a coach who ends up having done great in a top conference as both an assistant and as a head coach. Since even more of the talent will be his in 2022, and since the Wolverines were looking quite a bit improved at the end of 2021, I definitely have confidence in him. And yes, he has recruited quite well. He has gotten a tremendous amount of players who have been 4* and higher. By the way, Michigan is, indeed, the draw I think it is. Even if they haven't had great success, they are still getting lots of highly-recruited players. Think about what they have to offer. Yes, multiple other programs have the same things, but still:

-a member of one of the better conferences in College Lacrosse
-a beautiful, lacrosse-only stadium and top-notch facilities
-a beautiful campus
-one of the finest state schools in America
-one of the finest major college towns in America

Michigan is a program that has the potential to be great. Yes, regardless of the results, Conry is recruiting very well. Let's see if that can start translating into solid seasons.
More top assistants don’t work. There’s more Kerwicks, Dirrgyl and Haus than Sowell (if you want to put him in the successful bucket) and others. Tillman, Lars took multiple HC gigs, many attribute much of Lars’ success to Kirwin.

Don’t follow the rankings-Hop has top classes and did little for years with them. It’s a self fueling process so as long as folks like you prop up Mich they get kids and because those kids were on the Mich recruiting list they get ranked.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”