Coaching Carousel

D2 Mens Lacrosse
LaxCoach13

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by LaxCoach13 »

KingPrat wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:13 am
LaxCoach13 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:39 pm Interesting, he loved it so much he left for a AC DIII JOB?
Probably (almost definitely) pays better. And more prestigious. Huge opportunities for camp money. Better QOL. etc. etc. etc....
Sorry but have a hard time believing a DIII asst job pays better then a DII HC job but also look at cost of living. It’s expensive to live in MA or the northeast, lot less expensive in the South. More prestigious? Says who Amherst has a good rep but rather lead my own program then be an asst. Camps maybe but there’s lots of camps in that area. Just saying
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

LaxCoach13 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:01 am
LaxCoach13 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:39 pm Interesting, he loved it so much he left for a AC DIII JOB?
Probably (almost definitely) pays better. And more prestigious. Huge opportunities for camp money. Better QOL. etc. etc. etc....
Sorry but have a hard time believing a DIII asst job pays better then a DII HC job but also look at cost of living. It’s expensive to live in MA or the northeast, lot less expensive in the South. More prestigious? Says who Amherst has a good rep but rather lead my own program then be an asst. Camps maybe but there’s lots of camps in that area. Just saying
Tusculum pays the HC 40k, I’m not sure about what Amherst pays the assistant’s but I’m pretty sure it’s somewhere in the same range.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

River Donkey wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:54 pm
Tusculum pays the HC 40k, I’m not sure about what Amherst pays the assistant’s but I’m pretty sure it’s somewhere in the same range.
i'm not an expert here but paying an assistant almost 40k seems out of this world.
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

More prestigious? Says who
I would love to find any sort of measurable where Amherst is not more prestigious than Tusculum...
lilax

Post by lilax »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:23 am
i'm not an expert here but paying an assistant almost 40k seems out of this world.
NESCACs assistants are paid very well. Talking to a former coach, the NESCAC coaches are paid just as much as some of the midlevel D1 coaches. This is because much of their salaries are based on annual donations and fundraising. Something the NESCAC schools have a lot of. 1 specific NESCAC team is paying assistants over 50k. With no fall ball and a delayed start to the season, those coaches can work more camps and showcases.

If his ultimate goal is coaching D1, Carrington might see Amherst as a better stepping stone than Tusculum. It’s not like he was breaking records there. His best year was 5 years ago at 11-4. Aside from that, they have been a .500 team in a conference that’s been getting better. He might have seen the writing on the wall.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

boredatwork wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:34 am
More prestigious? Says who
I would love to find any sort of measurable where Amherst is not more prestigious than Tusculum...
Prestige, like the heart, is a fickle thing. And our universities have squandered a lot of it in the last few years, particularly those most "prestigious" schools in the Ivy and NESCAC. The cost is outrageous, with a limited benefit in many cases, administrators and much of the faculty insufferable, and the treatment of students by many colleges during the last 18 months in particular has been disgusting.

I was one who seldom questioned the utility of college, or the relative prestige of any particular college, before 2020. My perspective has been altered significantly and permanently in the last 18 months on those two points, and I see many young people having those conversations now as well. Formally impregnable systems and structures are falling apart at breakneck speed. While before one might have just shrugged one's shoulders at the cost, if the utility of the ridiculously expensive thing is also called into question at some point then there's a problem. And that's where we are now, I think, with the four year college experience.

My point: Tusculum might have as much or more to offer going forward than Amherst. Maybe it was always that way and many of us just didn't notice. So swallow hard on that derisive tone.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Mars Hill Head Coach position no longer advertised on HR website...
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

River Donkey wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:25 pm Mars Hill Head Coach position no longer advertised on HR website...
Wondering if Carrington went back home, makes more sense then taking a AC job at a DIII
JustPassingThrough

Post by JustPassingThrough »

Lots of ACs also pick up grad degrees and Amherst offers easy access to UMass programs (and perhaps some tuition benefits). One more possible factor.
KingPrat

Post by KingPrat »

:lol: Always good to laugh with your coffee in the morning.

Amherst has one of the best paying assistant positions in the country at the D3 level. And with RD gone, I'm going to assume that the parents who pulled their program donations will start to give again, aiding in bolstering their 2nd asst position as well.

My comment about quality of life is aimed at the absence of Fall Ball in the NESCAC. Not saying it isn't strenuous, but it's a very different environment. NESCAC life is nice, and there's a reason coaches leave good jobs to coach in the conference. You move to MA understanding it's going to be expensive.

The fact that you're questioning the prestige of a school like Amherst vs. Tusculum is just.....well....incredible. It is. In every single metric. And having experience successfully recruiting students to the top liberal arts school in the country will open many more doors for him moving forward. He's done well at Tusculum, but this adds another feather to his cap and a major one at that. And that's not even mentioning they're a top 10 D3 team.

Working at a school like Amherst opens the doors to many other camps that you wouldn't necessarily work at Tusculum. LaxMasters and a couple others will pay over $2k for a weekend of work. And the opportunity to run their own camp and make BANK is huge. Good to Great drew 300+ kids at $600/ea. Do the math. Show me a D2 lax program clearing (likely) $50k+ off of a three-day camp.

I know it's hard to wrap heads around, but the Amherst job is a serious position. Working with Woodsy is a great opportunity, working in the NESCAC even more so. I hope he does well.
Last edited by KingPrat on Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
KingPrat

Post by KingPrat »

whoops
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Prat - I agree with you about 99%. Amherst has certainly been a top 10 team (top 2 in fact) very recently, but whether they can get back to that is a different question. The administration has completely effed up the situation, and hiring Woods is a good step but only if the administration can adapt. The NESCAC culture of viewing athletes like second class students runs deep, and I think all this has set Amherst back more than most of us realize.

Also, the Carrington possibility was mentioned here, but no where else that I've seen. Given AC's knee jerk hiring of Devoe, you have to ask if this is another mandated type of hire in the assistant spot, or maybe just speculation by some, expecting that and projecting Carrington as someone who might look the part. Either way, it's a pretty sad discussion, or implication, or whatever you want to call it, but one that Amherst has absolutely brought upon themselves.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
KingPrat

Post by KingPrat »

WhiteCarrera wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:59 am Prat - I agree with you about 99%. Amherst has certainly been a top 10 team (top 2 in fact) very recently, but whether they can get back to that is a different question. The administration has completely effed up the situation, and hiring Woods is a good step but only if the administration can adapt. The NESCAC culture of viewing athletes like second class students runs deep, and I think all this has set Amherst back more than most of us realize.

Also, the Carrington possibility was mentioned here, but no where else that I've seen. Given AC's knee jerk hiring of Devoe, you have to ask if this is another mandated type of hire in the assistant spot, or maybe just speculation by some, expecting that and projecting Carrington as someone who might look the part. Either way, it's a pretty sad discussion, or implication, or whatever you want to call it, but one that Amherst has absolutely brought upon themselves.
Absolutely. Whether they can return to that level of competition remains to be seen.

Just doing a little background on both Woods and Carrington, it looks as though Carrington was an assistant for Mars Hill in 2008, which was Woods' second year there. There is a preexisting relationship there, so not too big of a stretch that could be Carrington's landing spot.

I also agree that there could have been a nudge from administration given the recent happenings. If there's one thing that's certain, that administration is a dumpster fire.
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

LaxCoach13 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:04 pm Wondering if Carrington went back home, makes more sense then taking a AC job at a DIII
No chance. Mars Hill is almost as big of a mess as Tusculum (maybe bigger).

As mentioned he and Woods go back a ways and seems like a good match on paper.

Timing isnt great, so Tusculum will probably hire an assistant looking to cut their teeth. Cant see an established coach wanting to take that job with all the cutbacks, unless their situation is worse and they wanna leave dodge asap
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Good info - I'd not made the connection of their past time together. That could check a lot of boxes.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

I have a feeling that’s way off… I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s out of the game for a bit. He just recently got married and his wife his a HS administrator around the Knoxville area. I know from talking to several friends who played their back in the earlier years that the alumni and players were very thrown off by this move to step down and that there wasn’t anything going on inside the program. Sounds like Carrington might have just chosen family. I hope that’s not the case fiery coach that had the love and respect of his players and peers! He’d be missed for sure!
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

StuckinD2 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:59 pm I have a feeling that’s way off… I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s out of the game for a bit.
Unless something (dramatic) happened these past couple weeks (which I hope they didnt), he will be in the northeast soon. Still has the passion and drive to coach and I dont see him taking time off.

Good luck to him.
foshizzle

Post by foshizzle »

I'm very curious to see where Carrington ends up. Tons of passion.
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

Any word out of Mars Hill what they are going to do now? I don't see a job posted, do they have their replacement already? If so that may be a new record they way its been going this year.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

LaxCoach13 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:23 pm Any word out of Mars Hill what they are going to do now? I don't see a job posted, do they have their replacement already? If so that may be a new record they way its been going this year.
Job was posted for a couple of weeks but recently taken down.

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”