Big Ten 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: Big Ten 2021

Post by Wheels »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:44 pm
Will those P5 schools be providing opportunities for athletes?
Please elaborate.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Wheels wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:13 pm
Please elaborate.
Will those schools be providing athletic opportunities for male athletes? I was wondering how the schools will get around title IX?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:18 pm
Please elaborate.
Will those schools be providing athletic opportunities for male athletes? I was wondering how the schools will get around title IX?
I think it'd operate the same way does now. If a school has 85 football scholarships among all of its sports (whether those are NCAA-sponsored sports like lacrosse or revenue sports like basketball), it will have be in T9 compliance. It's the same story for academic scholarships regardless of funding source. Universities get "funding" from all kinds of granting sources, and the overall allocation of those funds must meet T9 requirements.

Really, all athletic departments do is transfer tuition, room, and board monies over to the university anyway. I imagine that'd be the same deal. Like the DOD funding a $10M grant to a college of engineering on some campus, the scholarships or stipends that get spent on students are just internal budget transfers from the college to the university. In the case of a separate athletic structure for football and basketball, they'll just fund the academic scholarships for the players.

I'm not a lawyer but I do have a good sense of the CRA and Titles VII and IX. I also have a good sense of how university funding models work. I'm pretty sure that a separate structure for football and basketball wouldn't be difficult for a university to handle. The NCAA would still sponsor non-revs. Not much would change except that it would acknowledge what we've all known for years. That "amateurism" for football and basketball is a farce.

There are lots of lawyers on here....I'm sure they can respond!
Typical Lax Dad

Wheels wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:17 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:18 pm
Please elaborate.
I think it'd operate the same way does now. If a school has 85 football scholarships among all of its sports (whether those are NCAA-sponsored sports like lacrosse or revenue sports like basketball), it will have be in T9 compliance. It's the same story for academic scholarships regardless of funding source. Universities get "funding" from all kinds of granting sources, and the overall allocation of those funds must meet T9 requirements.

Really, all athletic departments do is transfer tuition, room, and board monies over to the university anyway. I imagine that'd be the same deal. Like the DOD funding a $10M grant to a college of engineering on some campus, the scholarships or stipends that get spent on students are just internal budget transfers from the college to the university. In the case of a separate athletic structure for football and basketball, they'll just fund the academic scholarships for the players.

I'm not a lawyer but I do have a good sense of the CRA and Titles VII and IX. I also have a good sense of how university funding models work. I'm pretty sure that a separate structure for football and basketball wouldn't be difficult for a university to handle. The NCAA would still sponsor non-revs. Not much would change except that it would acknowledge what we've all known for years. That "amateurism" for football and basketball is a farce.

There are lots of lawyers on here....I'm sure they can respond!
Thanks. I re-read your initial posts. This post helps clarify your point. Thanks
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

Wheels wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:24 pm
jrn19 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:43 pm I can’t see Iowa State and Kansas getting a look. I think they go after UVA or UNC - probably UVA cause they’re comparatively easier - and then go to Notre Dame and see if they’re interested to join and make a 16 team league. Then if ND says no put an ultimatum that if they do say no, they’ll go try and get Georgia Tech.

Ultimately Notre Dame is the fish the Big Ten wants. They’re the biggest one left with Oklahoma and Texas moving. Anything the B1G does is with how do we most attract Notre Dame in mind.
The new college football playoff expansion guarantees the Notre Dame will never join a conference. While they won't get an auto-bid in the new format, if they're ever ranked in the Top 10, there's no way they don't get an at-large. The ACC missed their chance to force them into their conference. Now it's gone.

Aside from the B12 imploding, the other big loser in all of this is the ACC. They have a terrible TV deal with ACC that locks them in until 2036. Now with ESPN going all in on the SEC, which will now include OU and Texas, very, very few ACC games will ever get priority over almost any SEC game. Most of the ACC games will get shoved onto ESPN3 or ESPN+.

And that's why maybe UNC and UVA (or GT) think really hard about jumping. Not only will they get $20M+ more a year, they'll actually get exposure.

Jim Delaney was a genius. The last time the B1G did their TV rights, he chose a smaller term so that the B1G would go to negotiate again in 2023. So all of this chaos is going on, ESPN is gobbling up the SEC and keeping the ACC locked in, and Fox and CBS now need to look for inventory. The B1G is going to get paid.
The B1G has confirmed that AAU membership is still a requirement, so factor that into all analysis.

If we assume prior rationale for adding members then the B1G would be looking to add schools that provide new media market access. If so, then UVA or VT are redundant to MD. Pitt is redundant, ISU is redundant, etc. UNC gets you access to the NC market, but it is unclear whether if existing access to BTN is involved.

If the new additions is done purely on a streaming situation, then you'd go for the biggest #brand possible.

Colorado is an addition that makes sense. Would the B1G want to pair a western with an eastern addition? Does geography matter at all? Previously they've had a contiguous footprint requirement, but of any constraints that seems the least likely to matter in this situation.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

ckstevenson wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:32 am
jrn19 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:43 pm I can’t see Iowa State and Kansas getting a look. I think they go after UVA or UNC - probably UVA cause they’re comparatively easier - and then go to Notre Dame and see if they’re interested to join and make a 16 team league. Then if ND says no put an ultimatum that if they do say no, they’ll go try and get Georgia Tech.

Ultimately Notre Dame is the fish the Big Ten wants. They’re the biggest one left with Oklahoma and Texas moving. Anything the B1G does is with how do we most attract Notre Dame in mind.
The new college football playoff expansion guarantees the Notre Dame will never join a conference. While they won't get an auto-bid in the new format, if they're ever ranked in the Top 10, there's no way they don't get an at-large. The ACC missed their chance to force them into their conference. Now it's gone.

Aside from the B12 imploding, the other big loser in all of this is the ACC. They have a terrible TV deal with ACC that locks them in until 2036. Now with ESPN going all in on the SEC, which will now include OU and Texas, very, very few ACC games will ever get priority over almost any SEC game. Most of the ACC games will get shoved onto ESPN3 or ESPN+.

And that's why maybe UNC and UVA (or GT) think really hard about jumping. Not only will they get $20M+ more a year, they'll actually get exposure.

Jim Delaney was a genius. The last time the B1G did their TV rights, he chose a smaller term so that the B1G would go to negotiate again in 2023. So all of this chaos is going on, ESPN is gobbling up the SEC and keeping the ACC locked in, and Fox and CBS now need to look for inventory. The B1G is going to get paid.
The B1G has confirmed that AAU membership is still a requirement, so factor that into all analysis.

If we assume prior rationale for adding members then the B1G would be looking to add schools that provide new media market access. If so, then UVA or VT are redundant to MD. Pitt is redundant, ISU is redundant, etc. UNC gets you access to the NC market, but it is unclear whether if existing access to BTN is involved.

If the new additions is done purely on a streaming situation, then you'd go for the biggest #brand possible.

Colorado is an addition that makes sense. Would the B1G want to pair a western with an eastern addition? Does geography matter at all? Previously they've had a contiguous footprint requirement, but of any constraints that seems the least likely to matter in this situation.
Not sure I agree with last post. The Big already went after Virginia hard once before and Virginia declined. UNC Is a huge brand and a bigger one than most schools in the Big so any conference would want them as well……we will give you VPI and their rural mountain TV market. West Virginia would appear to have a more similar academic and sports profile to existing Big members than either UNC or Virginia.
Typical Lax Dad

blue angels wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:22 am

Not sure I agree with last post. The Big already went after Virginia hard once before and Virginia declined. UNC Is a huge brand and a bigger one than most schools in the Big so any conference would want them as well……we will give you VPI and their rural mountain TV market. West Virginia would appear to have a more similar academic and sports profile to existing Big members than either UNC or Virginia.
How is WVU more like most Big Ten Schools than UNC or UVA? I had always thought of UNC as a Big Ten type School, but never WVU. Hadn’t thought about it..Just wondering how WVU is more like Big Ten Schools? WVU has reminded me of University of Cincinnati, Louisville or maybe Rutgers but it was just an impression. Could be because of the conferences they have played in over the years.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:45 am

How is WVU more like most Big Ten Schools than UNC or UVA? I had always thought of UNC as a Big Ten type School, but never WVU. Hadn’t thought about it..Just wondering how WVU is more like Big Ten Schools? WVU has reminded me of University of Cincinnati, Louisville or maybe Rutgers but it was just an impression. Could be because of the conferences they have played in over the years.
WVU does not work for the Big Ten academically. You are absolutely right that UNC/UVA are much more in line with the Big Ten schools. So are several Pac 12 teams.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

hmmm wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:04 am

WVU does not work for the Big Ten academically. You are absolutely right that UNC/UVA are much more in line with the Big Ten schools. So are several Pac 12 teams.
It’s insane that anyone thinks that academic profiles have anything to do with this. It is 100% about TV and advertising markets.
Typical Lax Dad

InsiderRoll wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:18 am
hmmm wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:04 am

It’s insane that anyone thinks that academic profiles have anything to do with this. It is 100% about TV and advertising markets.
I was just wondering how WVU is more like Big Ten schools than UNC and UVA. I had never thought of the Mountaineers that way.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

On a Maryland site, I've been arguing that the B1G should add the University of Toronto. Checks every box. Will take Toronto a while to be competitive in the B1G for football...but not as long to be competitive with KU football (!!!)...but Toronto brings everything. Elite university. 40 varsity sports (including lacrosse and hockey). Massive TV market that would probably function as a national media market. There's 1 Canadian university (Simon Fraser) that plays D2 already. UofT is an infinitely better add than KU + Random University. It's on with adding Notre Dame.

Will it happen? Nope. But it'd be a big boy move.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Wheels wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:28 pm

On a Maryland site, I've been arguing that the B1G should add the University of Toronto. Checks every box. Will take Toronto a while to be competitive in the B1G for football...but not as long to be competitive with KU football (!!!)...but Toronto brings everything. Elite university. 40 varsity sports (including lacrosse and hockey). Massive TV market that would probably function as a national media market. There's 1 Canadian university (Simon Fraser) that plays D2 already. UofT is an infinitely better add than KU + Random University. It's on with adding Notre Dame.

Will it happen? Nope. But it'd be a big boy move.
The university of Toronto is on par with adding Notre Dame? :lol:
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:30 am I was just wondering how WVU is more like Big Ten schools than UNC and UVA. I had never thought of the Mountaineers that way.
Rust Belt.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:00 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:30 am I was just wondering how WVU is more like Big Ten schools than UNC and UVA. I had never thought of the Mountaineers that way.
Rust Belt.
Rutgers and Maryland in Rust Belt?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”