Looking Forward to 2022

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Looking Forward to 2022

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

More good news for 2022. Increased TV coverage.

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... v-coverage
BCGold

Post by BCGold »

Good news

Women’s lac is growing in leaps and bounds, the more coverage the better, good news!
OuttaNowhereWregget

ASUN Conference grows back to six teams.

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... conference
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:27 am More good news for 2022. Increased TV coverage.

Read this and found the quotes from Liz Robertshaw laughable. She's ONLY concerned about Division 1! She doesn't give a crap about what happens in D2 and D3. I have been hearing this from coaches in those Divisions for years. I agree that the coverage of Men's and Women's Lacrosse is not equal. However, have the women done all that they can to make their product stronger and bring more fans and viewers in?

That answer would be NO! Ask the top D2 and D3 coaches and reps what have the D1 people done over the past 10 years to bring them into the fold? That would be very little to nothing. The D2 and D3 Finals are played in non-descript locations.
The absolute BEST thing that I read in the article was the involvement of 3 people I respect : Karin Brower Corbett(Penn), Dennis Short(Rollins College) and Kate Livesay(Middlebury). Karin, who has made Penn one of the top programs in D1, coached at D3 Drew University at one time. Dennis Short was once an assistant at Ursinus College, then he was an assistant at Ohio State before becoming the Head Coach at Rollins College. Kate Livesay played at Middlebury for the legendary Missy Foote. She then coached at Middlebury as an assistant , left to become the HC at NESCAC Rival Trinity where she won the National Championship, and then returned to her Alma Mater as HC...and won her second NC. Those three coaches are the sparks of hope that maybe Women's Lacrosse can unite and really grow.
Last edited by LarryGamLax on Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:42 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:27 am More good news for 2022. Increased TV coverage.

Read this and found the quotes from Liz Robertshaw laughable. She's ONLY concerned about Division 1! She doesn't give a crap about what happens in D2 and D3. I have been hearing this from coaches in those Divisions for years. I agree that the coverage of Men's and Women's Lacrosse is not equal. However, have the women done all that they can to make their product stronger and bring more fans and viewers in?

That answer would be NO! Ask the top D2 and D3 coaches and reps what have the D1 people done over the past 10 years to bring them into the fold? That would be very little to nothing. The D2 and D3 Finals are played in non-descript loctions
The absolute BEST thing that I read in the article was the involvement of 3 people I respect : Karin Brower Corbett(Penn), Dennis Short(Rollins College) and Kate Livesay(Middlebury). Karin, who has made Penn one of the top programs in D1, coached at D3 Drew University at one time. Dennis Short was once an assistant at Ursinus College, then he was an assistant at Ohio State before becoming the Head Coach at Rollins College. Kate Livesay played at Middlebury for the legendary Missy Foote. She then coached at Middlebury as an assistant , left to become the HC at NESCAC Rival Trinity where she won the National Championship, and then returned to her Alma Mater as HC...and won her second NC. Those three coaches are the sparks of hope that maybe Women's Lacrosse can unite and really grow.
I don't know, but have you ever heard a D1 basketball coach, D1 baseball coach, D1 golf coach or any other D1 NCAA coach talk about D2 and D3 schools that play the same sport?
Bart

Post by Bart »

TNLAX wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:08 pm

That answer would be NO! Ask the top D2 and D3 coaches and reps what have the D1 people done over the past 10 years to bring them into the fold? That would be very little to nothing. The D2 and D3 Finals are played in non-descript loctions
I don't know, but have you ever heard a D1 basketball coach, D1 baseball coach, D1 golf coach or any other D1 NCAA coach talk about D2 and D3 schools that play the same sport?
In all fairness Coach Robertshaw was being quoted as the head of the IWLCA not as the coach.

That being said, is what Larry said wrong?
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

TNLAX wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:08 pm

They don't have to because they can stand on their own. Basketball, Baseball(Softball), Golf are all on TV...both Men's and Women's. That ain't the case with Lacrosse! Women's Lacrosse has been bitching for years about not being equal to the Men, but the Men play all 3 Division Championships at the same site...on the same weekend. The Women don't do that...nor do they try. Their D2 Final is played in a place like Forgottensville, Iowa and the D3 Final is played in Massaville, Virginia. I don't see many D1 coaches coming forward to say this isn't right. I still remember in 2017 how they went chasing "the Men" to interject themselves into the Men's Tournament at Foxborough, MA. They drew 11,000+ in a Stadium that holds over 60,000+...and tried to claim that as some kind of victory. Meanwhile the Men's D2/D3 Final drew...30,000+. That's more than double the Women's D1 at the same site. Oh BTW...that 11,00+ at Foxborough only drew 1300 or so more than the the previous "record" at Unitas Stadium at Towson University.

Those are the REASONS that Women's D1 needs to talk about, support and unite with D2 and D3. However, I know that many D1 Elitist snots don't care about anything but D1. I know many of you don't think much of the coaches or the players in those Divisions. Your disdain is obvious.
Last edited by LarryGamLax on Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OuttaNowhereWregget

I couldn’t care less about D2 D3. How could I? I’ve never seen either. Even if I could, I have more than enough just following women’s D1. I don’t care about men’s lacrosse either because again, there is more than enough in women’s D1 to intrigue, entertain and keep busy with. Even in D1, I only know so many teams before I run out of capacity to fit any more conferences/teams/games in. Even with my limited exposure, my cup runneth over when it comes to NCAA Women’s D1 lacrosse. It’s a fantastic sport and a full time endeavor to keep up with in even a limited way.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:42 pm I couldn’t care less about D2 D3. How could I? I’ve never seen either. Even if I could, I have more than enough just following women’s D1. I don’t care about men’s lacrosse either because again, there is more than enough in women’s D1 to intrigue, entertain and keep busy with. Even in D1, I only know so many teams before I run out of capacity to fit any more conferences/teams/games in. Even with my limited exposure, my cup runneth over when it comes to NCAA Women’s D1 lacrosse. It’s a fantastic sport and a full time endeavor to keep up with in even a limited way.
Well, I am sorry to see this ^^^^. I have enjoyed many D1 and D3 games...for different reasons. Is the quality the same, most likely not. Is the effort the same, heck yes. Is it enjoyable, for me, yes. There are many young ladies who take the D2/D3 route for quality of life, experience, and yes, with some, lack of D1 talent.

Having two Ds that are very different, I am just as proud of the youngest going to a top 10 D3 lax program as I am the oldest going to a top 10 D1. Different field, different competition, different stresses, but same game. I think that some of the top D3 programs could compete with top 30 through top 40 D1s.

Not trying to convince you or change your opinion. I was a D1 snob until my D#3 decided that she would rather win at a top D3 school then be stuck in a bottom 60 D1 program with little to no chance of winning. Big decision for a tweener who had D1 offers. Kind of a goofy twist on the Gladwell "Big fish Small pond" theory. I will support her for 4 years just like I did with #13. Maybe we will get a natty through her :D
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

A story to add to my previous comments. Years ago, I saw a young woman play Goalie for a top 40(at that time) D1 team and she was spectacular! Led the nation in Save Pct (by about 5 points) and was the BEST Goalie in D1. If she had played for a top 10-15 team, she would have helped any of them. I made a phone call to ask a person on the All-American selection committee why this player had not been selected AA. At first I was told she didn't play for a good team, but I was able to refute that. I was then told that "if she was so good, then she should have gone to a better school(program)". My retort was about her talent and her accomplishments in that particular season. I was then told to "mind my business and how dare I question the hard work of the Committee". Nice, huh?

I ended the call with a couple of curse words and then, dropped the call.

So remember, a guy can win the Tewaaraton playing at Colgate University(Peter Baum, 2012), but an outstanding Goalie can't make AA because she didn't attend a top 10-20 program. Yep, that's the equality they want, but fairness and honesty...not interested.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:42 pm I couldn’t care less about D2 D3. How could I? I’ve never seen either. Even if I could, I have more than enough just following women’s D1. I don’t care about men’s lacrosse either because again, there is more than enough in women’s D1 to intrigue, entertain and keep busy with. Even in D1, I only know so many teams before I run out of capacity to fit any more conferences/teams/games in. Even with my limited exposure, my cup runneth over when it comes to NCAA Women’s D1 lacrosse. It’s a fantastic sport and a full time endeavor to keep up with in even a limited way.
That's a crap excuse, but if you want to work that one then go right ahead.
To me, by limiting your capacity you chose to limit your knowledge. And I do realize that it's all different for me because my business is based on knowing. I can't be successful if I don't know.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Tell D#2 DMac sez you go whitchyo bad self girl, love that decision!! I'm not sure what you mean by the less stress part, D#2 will be as fired up for her games as D#1 was and the stress aint gonna be no different on Poppy.
This couldn't care less about D2 and D3 is nothing more than a typical attitude of the casual fan/company team softball...slow pitch...player/street ball athlete. There are tons of good athletes and good competition (as most of us know) at those levels. Some of the best games I've seen were at Hobart when they were D3. I couldn't take the William Smith Herons' lacrosse at that time though. '62 wlax resembled today's game but pretty much only by the skirts and pony tails.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:22 pm That's a crap excuse
How so?
Bart

Post by Bart »

DMac wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:19 pm Tell D#2 DMac sez you go whitchyo bad self girl, love that decision!! I'm not sure what you mean by the less stress part, D#2 will be as fired up for her games as D#1 was and the stress aint gonna be no different on Poppy.
This couldn't care less about D2 and D3 is nothing more than a typical attitude of the casual fan/company team softball...slow pitch...player/street ball athlete. There are tons of good athletes and good competition (as most of us know) at those levels. Some of the best games I've seen were at Hobart when they were D3. I couldn't take the William Smith Herons' lacrosse at that time though. '62 wlax resembled today's game but pretty much only by the skirts and pony tails.
Difference between a fan of lacrosse and a “lacrosse fan”.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:16 pm
Well, I am sorry to see this ^^^^.
Why is that?
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:24 pm
How so?

As I said I understand how I see this thing and how others don't. I just try to never disrespect a talented player from any Division. There are very talented players who choose their school based on a lot of factors...or just a few. Again, I respect that and I try to show it by going to the games and watching them when I can. I'm about players and not so much about who they play for.
Like everyone else I have programs that I cheer for and others I don't, but I still respect the game...at all levels.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:58 pm
How so?

As I said I understand how I see this thing and how others don't. I just try to never disrespect a talented player from any Division. There are very talented players who choose their school based on a lot of factors...or just a few. Again, I respect that and I try to show it by going to the games and watching them when I can. I'm about players and not so much about who they play for.
Like everyone else I have programs that I cheer for and others I don't, but I still respect the game...at all levels.
I posted that I didn't have the capacity to fit any more lacrosse into my life--that I didn't have the capacity for it. How was I making a crap excuse?
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:04 pm
How so?

I posted that I didn't have the capacity to fit any more lacrosse into my life--that I didn't have the capacity for it. How was I making a crap excuse?

You know what? I'll correct myself. It's not a crap excuse...it's YOUR excuse. Accepted. You stay in D1 and I'll be interested in the sport overall.
DMac

Post by DMac »

You forgot one word, Larry. It's your phony excuse.
I couldn't care less and my D1 schedule is so jammed
packed hardly mean the same thing.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:09 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:04 pm
How so?

You know what? I'll correct myself. It's not a crap excuse...it's YOUR excuse. Accepted. You stay in D1 and I'll be interested in the sport overall.
excuse (noun) 1. a reason or explanation put forward to defend or justify a fault or offense.

Why is it an excuse at all? I'm puzzled as to why you are trying to paint this as a negative. I absolutely love and adore women's lacrosse. Is it required that fans of D1 women's lacrosse must also watch, learn and embrace/support D2 and D3 or else they're not real fans and just making excuses? Whose standard is this? You have no idea who I am as a person, what I deal with in my life and family or what other commitments I have that require my time and attention. It's very unfair of you to judge me the way you are, Larry. Why are you trying to spin my lack of time/capacity to include other divisions in lacrosse as a negative?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”