THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by jhu06 »

that wasn't bang bang it was premeditated murder which you could tell easily. IL on their feed has a clip of the last minute plus and you can see that williams sent rowlett back to the lockerroom hard as time expired. easily his best work of the year.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Drcthru wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:15 pm I had to turn the sound off on ESPN. Can't listen to these morons.
You are completely off base. First, the North Carolina announcers said Hopkins had the “most illustrious” program in lacrosse history. Second, they got the number of Hopkins national lacrosse championships correct (44, NOT 9 :roll: ). Third, they used the term “sin bin” for the penalty box. Fourth, the female student announcer sounded kinda cute.

Under the trademarked DocBarrister Objective Lacrosse Announcer Rating Scale (“DOLARS”), each of those four items above garners 20 bonus points each. That means today’s North Carolina announcing team scored 120 on the 100 point DOLARS register, a new record.

In other words, today’s announcing team was, objectively speaking, the greatest lacrosse announcing team of all time. :shock: :o

So show some darn respect.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Great win for the Jays. Now if only we could play in that type of slop every week to cover our glaring athletic shortcomings more often!
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:01 pm Great win for the Jays. Now if only we could play in that type of slop every week to cover our glaring athletic shortcomings more often!
UNC in many ways was a good match up for Hopkins, I wasn't overly impressed with their athleticism. They also seem to have more than their fair share of smurf sized converted attackmen masquerading as midfielders.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

hopkins had lost 8/10 to unc and those teams didn't get blown out 35-21 in baltimore to loyola/towson. it was a strong win aside from the 2nd quarter, reinson, 1st midfield/cole williams.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

DMac goes low, ankle biting again.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:07 pm
Drcthru wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:15 pm I had to turn the sound off on ESPN. Can't listen to these morons.
You are completely off base. First, the North Carolina announcers said Hopkins had the “most illustrious” program in lacrosse history. Second, they got the number of Hopkins national lacrosse championships correct (44, NOT 9 :roll: ). Third, they used the term “sin bin” for the penalty box. Fourth, the female student announcer sounded kinda cute.

Under the trademarked DocBarrister Objective Lacrosse Announcer Rating Scale (“DOLARS”), each of those four items above garners 20 bonus points each. That means today’s North Carolina announcing team scored 120 on the 100 point DOLARS register, a new record.

In other words, today’s announcing team was, objectively speaking, the greatest lacrosse announcing team of all time. :shock: :o

DocBarrister 8-)
I think she's an ex unc laxer. "That guy" was how she reffered to 95% of players today which is unacceptable considering she knew she had this game for awhile and the rosters have been out for months. Did John Skipper cancel Ryan Flanagan (who has had this game in the past) like he did Barstool Van Talk (which was a great show)?

DOLARS-fantastic. Quint tweeted he hadn't found the new lp message boards. Hope he sees that.
nyclaxfan

Post by nyclaxfan »

I watched the limited UNC-Hopkins highlights on YouTube and saw more dirty hits from Hopkins, but did not see the hit mentioned in earlier posts by Cook. UNC captain Kelly got slammed in the shoulder/back on a late hit and the Rowlett got buried in the back on the last faceoff.

I hope Hopkins loses the rest of your games.

A separate post mentioned UNC smurfs at midfield. Epstein is not necessarily a muscle man.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:55 pm that wasn't bang bang it was premeditated murder which you could tell easily.
What?...sheesh...

If possible, can someone post the result of alleged "murder" plot?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Cook’s hit was one of the most dangerous I’ve seen. Nothing less than an elbow to the head at full speed. North Carolina staff needs to have a chat with the young man about sportsmanship and safety.

DocBarrister
Last edited by DocBarrister on Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Wow such vitriol for a stupid lacrosse game played in unbelievably bad conditions. Newsflash - both of these teams can pretty safely make Memorial Day week-end picnic plans. There's not enough firepower - offensively or defensively to make that kind of a run. So I would relax.
While the field conditions and the weather would cloud any observations - that won't stop me:
- As far as the murder plot - I think trying to be objective it certainly appears that Cook thought about what he was doing and took a head shot - he received a 2 minute non-releasable which was probably the appropriate penalty - could have been ejected and given 3 but unless you have a rep for that sort of stuff that was going to be the call
- I've read Doc's posts for well over a decade and you wouldn't have to take off your shoes to count the number of times I agree but I think he is right about one thing - Hopkins defense is too passive. You can observe multiple times where the Hopkins defender plays off his man by a couple yards and basically allows the UNC player to go where he wants to go. One time McManus let one of the middies just alley dodge and get a nice left rip that missed but he never got within 4/5 feet of the kid. Contrast that to when Hopkins had the ball and players were running for their life.
- The difference in the game was Hopkins exploiting the three transition opportunities while Carolina did not. While you are not shocked by Kuhn scoring - Colwell and Hubler were not on the pre-game whiteboard for 20% of your O.
- Speaking of McManus - Petro is acting differently - the little interference hit McManus made after Darby had the ball for a couple seconds was the stuff of youth league - there was a time when that kid would have been advised to start putting in to the transfer portal - but he was right back out there - maybe after the hit by Cook - he wished he was in the doghouse.
- Speaking of Petro - I thought leaving your two second half time outs in your pocket was not great strategy. You call a time out in the first couple minutes of the game to save a possession but not in the 4th quarter? There were several times I was saying "Time out - Time out". Epstein had an incredible ground ball middle of the 4th during one of those momentus scrums but he was up against the sidelines and had little room and turned it over. How about when you are up 3 with a 1:08 left and you have Zinn running untouched down the middle of the quagmire? Are you surprised that a freshman who had played little in the game started a sequence that turned it over and you had to sweat out the last 30 seconds?
- Hopkins defensive rotations and support and finding the weakside player was alot better - perhaps aided by the conditions - still some horrible ball watching on a couple Carolina goals
- Marr made the momentum turning play anticipating the defensive flip back to the goalie
- A hard game to officiate made even harder by the conditions but how in the world did DeSimone end up in the box on the last penalty called against Hopkins - must of been something I didn't see - I would have called a loose ball push or a foul on Carolina
- Other than Marr - Hopkins does not have alot of outside shooting threats
- It will be interesting to see going forward whether Nareweski is really a force or he is exploiting the opposing player - Savio and Tucci likely not the strongest face-off men he will see - wings have to help the kid
- I counted 19 ground balls by the starting 10 - with Darby only getting 2 so a much better effort and result on that particular issue
- Even in the mud the Blue Shirt Black Shorts combo is the best in all the land
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:39 am Cook’s hit was one of the most dangerous I’ve seen. Nothing less than an elbow to the head at full speed. North Carolina staff needs to have a chat with the young man about sportsmanship and safety.

DocBarrister
Just like Mahr last weekend, a calculated head shot... two very similar plays, both players are cheap
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

laxbro11 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:05 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:39 am Cook’s hit was one of the most dangerous I’ve seen. Nothing less than an elbow to the head at full speed. North Carolina staff needs to have a chat with the young man about sportsmanship and safety.

DocBarrister
Just like Mahr last weekend, a calculated head shot... two very similar plays, both players are cheap
Isn't a Hopkins alum TV announcer the one calling for "blood" :lol:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyclaxfan wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:18 am I watched the limited UNC-Hopkins highlights on YouTube and saw more dirty hits from Hopkins, but did not see the hit mentioned in earlier posts by Cook. UNC captain Kelly got slammed in the shoulder/back on a late hit and the Rowlett got buried in the back on the last faceoff.

I hope Hopkins loses the rest of your games.

A separate post mentioned UNC smurfs at midfield. Epstein is not necessarily a muscle man.
Here is the Cook hit on McManus: https://www.instagram.com/p/BuPLV42BEif/

It's as clear cut a case of targeting as I've ever seen in lacrosse.

Also, I'm not seeing Rowlett get hit anywhere on the final faceoff. The player Williams hits is not Rowlett. It's a different UNC defenseman, either Macri or Egan. Rowlett is several yards away. The hit is also not in the back.

Rowlett does, however, throw a punch in that little scuffle after the game was over. Hopefully no ACC officials were watching. Cook also has a hold of Epstein's facemask. Just take the L and get off your gross muddy "field."

A few other observations of the actual game:

- 51 is right, transition game was huge yesterday. At this point Kuhn is a bigger threat on offense than half of our offensive middies.
- McManus got beat later on but he at least showed an ability to stop his matchup and put in a good defensive shift—something the other #3 SSDMs have yet to show. My guess is his role grows. The hit in which a UNC player's helmet popped off looked like a soft call to me. Both players collided evenly, one guy's helmet was not strapped in tight enough, thus he wins the penalty.
- Can't tell on the first Kelly no-goal dive but on the second one he very obviously steps in the crease before jumping. Even with the mud it was clear as day
- This offense struggles mightily against aggressive defenses that press out. The munchkin middies are all a turnover waiting to happen. No team is going to pack it in on D against the Jays and let them move the ball quickly.
- Williams was not good but I think he had it a tad harder than most yesterday—his center of gravity is too high for a muddy field. He had trouble with his footing and couldn't really cut as he's used to doing—his go-to spin move to get to his left hand was not an option
- DeSimone is not making the sophomore leap I expected him to
- It may be that Narewski has performed well against weaker competition (relative to the Woodalls and Arceris of the world) but I have not seen him get beat cleanly very often—the ones he loses he's at least making it a scrap and cutting off a transition opp for the other team. And if not for the mud he would have won many more cleanly to himself yesterday. I like what I'm seeing. Best of all—he's an athlete capable of getting out of trouble himself. No more no-look hail mary passes over the shoulder
- Still hard for me to get a read on Darby—he seems to save a few that he shouldn't every game and then give up a few that he should save. He had one or two very impressive kick saves yesterday but there was on—Atayan's 2nd goal maybe?—that has to be blocked.

Princeton is coming off a heartbreaker to UVA, and we all know what happened last time at Class of '52 Stadium. Jays can't count on the Tigers to lose their cool and give them extra penalties as UNC did. The strategy starts and ends with defending Sowers—Foley has to have a good game
Last edited by HopFan16 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Define targeting. Is it leading with your forearm, stick to your left and not involved in the hit, and hitting your "target" in the chest with your forearm?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DMac wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:28 am Define targeting. Is it leading with your forearm, stick to your left and not involved in the hit, and hitting your "target" in the chest with your forearm?
Maybe next time skip the gym and hit up the eye doctor
DMac

Post by DMac »

I see it just fine, but then again I'm not looking at it through blue glasses. You completely exaggerated this "attempted murder". Far from the "worst case of targeting ever seen".
On to the next game.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DMac wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:42 am I see it just fine, but then again I'm not looking at it through blue glasses. You completely exaggerated this "attempted murder". Far from the "worst case of targeting ever seen".
On to the next game.
He tried to take the kid's head off. Full elbow extension into the head. That wasn't a lacrosse play.

If I were you I'd be more concerned with the visiting Black Knights today than a hit that occurred in a Hopkins game yesterday.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Maybe we can get one of those techie guys to do some slo mo/freeze frame on the play.
Maybe you will then be better able to see that the contact was made to the chest, the head was not targeted.
Bluejayfan2

Post by Bluejayfan2 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:07 pm

DocBarrister 8-)
Doc, cute like Amy Farrah Fowler ? Actually broadcast reminded me of Hop Lax in the early 80's when games were broadcast from the basement of the Hollander Dorm and the signal didn't make it to St Paul Street

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”