Big Ten 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Big Ten 2022

Post by DocBarrister »

Ok, time to open this thread.

I think the Blue Jays are going to make some waves in the B1G next season. Hopkins will return a young and talented team that will be eager to start winning again.

Plus, we want that darn wooden crab. :twisted:

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Re: Big Ten 2022

Post by HopFan16 »

A lot depends on transfers in and out. We should know more about that in a few weeks.

Maryland loses at least Bernhardt, Grill, Brown, Holden, maybe DeMaio
Hop loses Williams, Lyne (?)
PSU loses O'Keefe, Arceri, Foulds, Cardile, Kneese
OSU loses LeClaire, Terefenko, Henrick, Wenz
Rutgers loses Charalambides, Mullins, Kirst 1, Kirst 2
Mich loses Myers, Papa, while Buckanavage and Mack are transferring (neither played much in '21)

Hopkins and Michigan appear to lose the least amount of talent from their 2021 teams. According to IL, Maryland brings in the best freshman class, followed by PSU, OSU, Mich, Hop, and then Rutgers.

This would be my pre-transfer shot-in-the-dark ranking of the six teams headed into next year. I reserve the right to change this several times prior to January 2022:

1. Maryland
2. Hopkins
3. Michigan
4. Penn State
5. Rutgers
6. Ohio State

There is not much separating 2-6, IMO.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:24 pm A lot depends on transfers in and out. We should know more about that in a few weeks.

Mich loses Myers, Papa, while Buckanavage and Mack are transferring (neither played much in '21)

Hopkins and Michigan appear to lose the least amount of talent from their 2021 teams. According to IL, Maryland brings in the best freshman class, followed by PSU, OSU, Mich, Hop, and then Rutgers.

This would be my pre-transfer shot-in-the-dark ranking of the six teams headed into next year. I reserve the right to change this several times prior to January 2022:

1. Maryland
2. Hopkins
3. Michigan
4. Penn State
5. Rutgers
6. Ohio State

I’m a bit more optimistic ... I am hoping it is Hopkins-Maryland competing for the top two spots, with the rest of the B1G not too far behind.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:41 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:24 pm A lot depends on transfers in and out. We should know more about that in a few weeks.

1. Maryland
2. Hopkins
3. Michigan
4. Penn State
5. Rutgers
6. Ohio State

I’m a bit more optimistic ... I am hoping it is Hopkins-Maryland competing for the top two spots, with the rest of the B1G not too far behind.

DocBarrister
I agree, I think 1-6 will be very tight. Maryland was great this year, but when you lose Bernhardt you aren’t that scary anymore. Penn State was the best team in the country for 2 years straight, lose one guy for this season and it’s back to the drawing board. Let’s see if they pick anyone up from the portal but if not, it’s a whole new ball game. Big ten will be a dogfight.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

From the portal, didn't OSU pick up the backup UNC goalie?
Strange that a backup might be the best pick-up so far, but he just might be.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:59 pm From the portal, didn't OSU pick up the backup UNC goalie?
Strange that a backup might be the best pick-up so far, but he just might be.
Kid has a crazy rep cause he won ACC Frosh of the Year but he wasn’t good in 2020 and lost his job for a reason. Maybe he’ll be good but we have to see

They have to fix that defense first
Young Warrior

Post by Young Warrior »

BigTom5 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:47 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:41 pm

1. Maryland
2. Hopkins
3. Michigan
4. Penn State
5. Rutgers
6. Ohio State

DocBarrister
I agree, I think 1-6 will be very tight. Maryland was great this year, but when you lose Bernhardt you aren’t that scary anymore. Penn State was the best team in the country for 2 years straight, lose one guy for this season and it’s back to the drawing board. Let’s see if they pick anyone up from the portal but if not, it’s a whole new ball game. Big ten will be a dogfight.
I dont disagree with much here - Maryland is the champ until knocked off.

I think Hop / Michigan should be 2/3 and seem a clear step ahead of the rest. Neither loses much and Michigan almost literally loses nobody who got significant minutes absent Myers. Both have young talent and seemed to grow up and get better as the season went along.

Rutgers seems to be the reverse of Michigan - they lose TONS
OSU loses guys too but has more to work with
Not sure where PSU goes - Losing Ament/Sabia last year and OKeefe this year - tough.

Will be nice to see them compete OOC next year and am curious how the coaches challenge their teams.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

we're in the top of the first of the grand game of musical chairs w/this offseason and the questions
-what kids come back
-what transfers do teams add/subtract
-what schools have the best young talent from 19/20/21 classes ready to rise
-does benson return at maryland
-what schedule changes are teams able to make-rutgers and ohio state have for years needed to add ooc
-what direction does milliman take hopkins
-now that rutgers has broken through, what does michigan need to take that step
-who are the presumptive first team all conference next spring and poy
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:24 pm

4. Penn State
Unfortunately, Tambroni has his work cut out.
Not much opportunity, with an all B1G schedule,
to break in the younger players, Canyon Birch played
some and produced, none of the freshmen I was
tracking saw time.

They’ll have to look to the transfer portal for immediate
upgrades or run the risk of falling behind other B1Gs.
Even then, I don’t know how much help they’ll get there.
The final pieces from the Grant Ament era are departing,
so, you’re looking at a very young team, a complete turnover really.
Let’s hope these last two classes, including the one starting up in a few months, are as good as they
appear to be.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

1. Maryland
2. Hopkins
3. Michigan
4. Penn State
5. Rutgers
6. Ohio State

The conference will be better next year than this year, but in some ways, I think it will kind of look a lot like it did this year. You'll have two teams at the top that probably won't sweat a NCAA bid too much. But 3-6, IMO, won't be in the same class as the top 2. I don't see PSU or OSU improving a whole heck of a lot within the conference. They'll schedule well (maybe play a SoCon sched!!!), so they won't finish the season with a horrible record. Rutgers will be really interesting. They now have a core of players who have had success. I'm going to guess that Brecht brings in two or three good transfers. If Michigan can take the next step with the young guys and learn to win, they'll be dangerous...but they don't have a roster loaded with players to finish higher than 3rd or 4th.

And, man...the Hop-MD game is going to be VERY physical. Will be really surprised to see either team win two games against each other (regular season then conference tournament game). Knowing the NCAA, they'll bracket them together for a QF game.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Wheels wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:08 pm
1. Maryland
2. Hopkins
3. Michigan
4. Penn State
5. Rutgers
6. Ohio State

The conference will be better next year than this year, but in some ways, I think it will kind of look a lot like it did this year. You'll have two teams at the top that probably won't sweat a NCAA bid too much. But 3-6, IMO, won't be in the same class as the top 2. I don't see PSU or OSU improving a whole heck of a lot within the conference. They'll schedule well (maybe play a SoCon sched!!!), so they won't finish the season with a horrible record. Rutgers will be really interesting. They now have a core of players who have had success. I'm going to guess that Brecht brings in two or three good transfers. If Michigan can take the next step with the young guys and learn to win, they'll be dangerous...but they don't have a roster loaded with players to finish higher than 3rd or 4th.

And, man...the Hop-MD game is going to be VERY physical. Will be really surprised to see either team win two games against each other (regular season then conference tournament game). Knowing the NCAA, they'll bracket them together for a QF game.
I agree the big ten will be better...the other factor is we go back to the regular 5 game conference schedule....it's very tough to beat someone 2 times let alone 3 times...playing someone two or three times lets the team that got beat the first times gain a mental advantage...that happens in every sport...so this year was intertesting...won't be like that next year...you get one chance in the reg season

I wouldn't sleep on Rutgers...no doubt they lose their top three scorers and that is an issue that needs to be addressed via the portal or via a young rising star...but everyone beyond that is back...the middle of the field at Rutgers brings back experience and lots of athletes, they are solid defensively and return most guys that held UNC to 5 goals under their scoring average and when they lost most face offs to Lehigh, it was the defense and the middle of the field guys that dominated that game in round one....they are all back and those guys now know how to win....I also agree, Brecht will add at least two impact offensive transfers, and maybe more...bank on it...it will happen

Now I'm not saying RU will win the conference, but putting them at the bottom considering what others lose as well...not sure I agree

I'd stack it like this pre portal activity:

1 - Maryland
2 - Hopkins
3 - Rutgers
4 - Michigan
5 - PSU
6 - OSU

Maryland will be Maryland...Hopkins will be much improved and a continued version of the team that played really well in their last four games...Michigan was young, has a lot of talent...how will they progress...that's key for them...PSU and OSU lose a lot, but they will surely re stock...it's really gonna be a great League next year...and frankly I thought it was a very good League this year...Maryland was elite, Rutgers was very very good, and then as the season went along, everyone except PSU got better...

But man, lots of time and lots of things will change when the portal announcements heat up...I just have a feeling RU will get some portal action as they have immediate open spots and it's a place that is 3 guys away from being really really good again...but they will need help via transfers....

Should be fun...
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:42 pm
Wheels wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:08 pm
1. Maryland
2. Hopkins
3. Michigan
4. Penn State
5. Rutgers
6. Ohio State

I agree the big ten will be better...the other factor is we go back to the regular 5 game conference schedule....it's very tough to beat someone 2 times let alone 3 times...playing someone two or three times lets the team that got beat the first times gain a mental advantage...that happens in every sport...so this year was intertesting...won't be like that next year...you get one chance in the reg season

I wouldn't sleep on Rutgers...no doubt they lose their top three scorers and that is an issue that needs to be addressed via the portal or via a young rising star...but everyone beyond that is back...the middle of the field at Rutgers brings back experience and lots of athletes, they are solid defensively and return most guys that held UNC to 5 goals under their scoring average and when they lost most face offs to Lehigh, it was the defense and the middle of the field guys that dominated that game in round one....they are all back and those guys now know how to win....I also agree, Brecht will add at least two impact offensive transfers, and maybe more...bank on it...it will happen

Now I'm not saying RU will win the conference, but putting them at the bottom considering what others lose as well...not sure I agree

1 - Maryland
2 - Hopkins
3 - Rutgers
4 - Michigan
5 - PSU
6 - OSU

Maryland will be Maryland...Hopkins will be much improved and a continued version of the team that played really well in their last four games...Michigan was young, has a lot of talent...how will they progress...that's key for them...PSU and OSU lose a lot, but they will surely re stock...it's really gonna be a great League next year...and frankly I thought it was a very good League this year...Maryland was elite, Rutgers was very very good, and then as the season went along, everyone except PSU got better...

But man, lots of time and lots of things will change when the portal announcements heat up...I just have a feeling RU will get some portal action as they have immediate open spots and it's a place that is 3 guys away from being really really good again...but they will need help via transfers....

Should be fun...
Good analysis ... Thanks.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:42 pm I agree the big ten will be better...the other factor is we go back to the regular 5 game conference schedule....it's very tough to beat someone 2 times let alone 3 times...playing someone two or three times lets the team that got beat the first times gain a mental advantage...that happens in every sport...so this year was intertesting...won't be like that next year...you get one chance in the reg season

1 - Maryland
2 - Hopkins
3 - Rutgers
4 - Michigan
5 - PSU
6 - OSU

Should be fun...
With Rutgers having experienced success this past year and learning how to win, they're going to be alright for sure. Once Brecht fills out the roster with some help, I think you're placement of them will be spot on.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Rutgers badly needs a faceoff guy. Dugenio helped in spots but they need a consistent answer there to compete with the other guys in the conference. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there are many elite FOGOs in the portal right now...maybe the kid from Hobart who was >60% though he faced pretty weak competition.

If we're speculating, Connor Morin of Notre Dame is in the portal and a NJ native, could help fill a bit of the void left by Chams/Mullins/Kirst. Talented kid but didn't play much for Corrigan.
AOD

Post by AOD »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:58 pm Rutgers badly needs a faceoff guy. Dugenio helped in spots but they need a consistent answer there to compete with the other guys in the conference. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there are many elite FOGOs in the portal right now...maybe the kid from Hobart who was >60% though he faced pretty weak competition.

If we're speculating, Connor Morin of Notre Dame is in the portal and a NJ native, could help fill a bit of the void left by Chams/Mullins/Kirst. Talented kid but didn't play much for Corrigan.
Brecht has no choice but to recruit transfers for attack. He has one junior A, and 2 second year As, and three first year As. Not much depth even though he's had six years to recruit behind Mullins and Bides.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

AOD wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:23 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:58 pm Rutgers badly needs a faceoff guy. Dugenio helped in spots but they need a consistent answer there to compete with the other guys in the conference. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there are many elite FOGOs in the portal right now...maybe the kid from Hobart who was >60% though he faced pretty weak competition.

Brecht has no choice but to recruit transfers for attack. He has one junior A, and 2 second year As, and three first year As. Not much depth even though he's had six years to recruit behind Mullins and Bides.
I mean a lot of guys came and went while Mullins and Bides were still there. Jules Heningburg had an entire career in between Bides.
AOD

Post by AOD »

jrn19 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:27 pm
AOD wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:23 pm

I mean a lot of guys came and went while Mullins and Bides were still there. Jules Heningburg had an entire career in between Bides.
Not in between, but close. Jules and Bides entered RU the same year.
molo

Post by molo »

Maryland will be excellent as usual. Hopkins will be better. Michigan seems to be improving but I thought that a few years ago. Rutgers loses a lot but has matured as a program. Penn State and Ohio State underperformed this year. Will they improve next year?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

molo wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:07 pm Maryland will be excellent as usual. Hopkins will be better. Michigan seems to be improving but I thought that a few years ago. Rutgers loses a lot but has matured as a program. Penn State and Ohio State underperformed this year. Will they improve next year?
I’ve got a feeling on Penn State. They feel like a potential bounce back candidate. They had some injuries, everything went wrong. There’s some young talent on that roster and they bring in a really good recruiting class. Better luck, young talent taking a next step, I think they can improve

Ohio State I am.....less confident
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

1. Maryland
2. Hopkins
3. Michigan
4. Penn State
5. Rutgers
6. Ohio State

You sure Rutgers loses “all” those players. Hmm

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”