Denver 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FlyEaglesFly

Re: Denver 2021

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

BigTom4 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:35 pm
jrn19 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:27 am Denver’s great at moving the ball and finding passing lanes and has a really strong and skilled attack unit with a great shooter in Walker....but the dodging is suspect. Hannah is elite but the rest of the midfield other elite defenses will feel comfortable leaving shorties on. So they’re going to be aggressive and press out on them and see how those middies who struggle to dodge respond to it.
You know what else is suspect? Your take here. Nova has a strong rope unit and had a great defensive game plan. Denver is going to be just fine, and given their strength at the FO X, could be a very scary matchup in the quarters for your terps.
I don’t think his take is suspect at all. No one is saying Denver isn’t going to be fine, or have a chance to advance in the NCAA’s - they certainly do. But if there is a team weakness, this is certainly it. Outside of Hanna, seems like their next best matchup has been Cotler on a SS. Morrill has been very underwhelming with his dodging ability, IMO. But Denver has been so good at being slick with screens, seals, picks, off the ball, shooting etc.

Just like Maryland’s weakness would be the face off dot.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

BigTom4 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:35 pm
jrn19 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:27 am Denver’s great at moving the ball and finding passing lanes and has a really strong and skilled attack unit with a great shooter in Walker....but the dodging is suspect. Hannah is elite but the rest of the midfield other elite defenses will feel comfortable leaving shorties on. So they’re going to be aggressive and press out on them and see how those middies who struggle to dodge respond to it.
You know what else is suspect? Your take here. Nova has a strong rope unit and had a great defensive game plan. Denver is going to be just fine, and given their strength at the FO X, could be a very scary matchup in the quarters for your terps.
I mean....Denver’s 2nd and 3rd middies have a combined 27 goals in 14 games. Jack Hannah has more goals *by himself* than those two. Obviously Hannah is an elite player but Cotler and Sullivan are averaging a little over a goal a game while drawing short sticks. They are clearly who the defense targets.

I love though how you are unable to think about anything outside the prism of how it affects Maryland. It must suck to have something in your head that you think about every waking hour of the day. Cant imagine having a lacrosse team of 18-22 year olds getting to me that badly
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

DU-fan wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:53 pm Pretty impressive stat for Denver defense and goalie play. And Georgetown :)

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/lacrosse-men ... vidual/225

1 Phil Goss Brown Sr. GK 1 60 60 5 5.00
2 Owen McElroy Georgetown Sr. GK 11 580 662 69 7.13
3 Noah Lode Monmouth Sr. GK 7 435 435 55 7.57
4 Jack Thompson Denver So. GK 13 594 782 81 8.17
5 Liam Entenmann Notre Dame So. GK 9 524 541 75 8.57
Hoping that the Denver defense and goalie play can continue through the BE and NCAA tournaments. Owen McElroy and Jack Thompson at #1 and #3 in GAA for all D1 goalies.

All championship teams are built on a strong defense.

I expect Georgetown to rebound from their Loyola loss. The Villanova BE semi-final will be a tough one.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/lacrosse-men ... vidual/225

GOALS-AGAINST AVERAGE
Last updated May 4, 2021 - Through games May 4, 2021

1 Owen McElroy Georgetown Sr. GK 12 640 722 80 7.49
2 Noah Lode Monmouth Sr. GK 8 495 495 66 7.99
3 Jack Thompson Denver So. GK 14 655 843 91 8.32
4 Liam Entenmann Notre Dame So. GK 10 577 601 81 8.41

Owen McElroy and Jack Thompson at #2 and #9 in Save Percent for all D1 goalies.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/lacrosse-men ... vidual/224

Last updated May 4, 2021 - Through games May 4, 2021
1 Brett Dobson St. Bonaventure Jr. GK 9 539 539 79 123 .609
2 Owen McElroy Georgetown Sr. GK 12 640 722 80 122 .604
3 Christopher Yanchoris Siena Jr. GK 8 495 495 81 119 .595
4 Will Mark LIU So. GK 10 574 585 123 179 .593
5 Spencer Rees Navy Sr. GK 9 534 540 88 126 .589
6 Teddy Dolan Binghamton Jr. GK 9 500 543 81 113 .582
7 Brendan Krebs Manhattan Sr. GK 8 502 502 78 108 .581
8 Liam Entenmann Notre Dame So. GK 10 577 601 81 112 .580
9 Jack Thompson Denver So. GK 14 655 843 91 124 .577
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

DU dispatched Providence rather easily in the BET semi, 14-5, as Morrill and Walker were able to feed off each other all day long.

A better team like 'Nova or G'town is not going to let that DU connection work, so secondary scoring will be crucial to win a BE title for Denver.
darkhaha

Post by darkhaha »

A competitive game, but kind of a disappointing effort in the second half. It looked like we were the team that had the dogfight on Thursday. I feel like we’ve been out-coached, outplayed and out-hustled by Georgetown for three years in a row in the Big East championship game.

Thompson hung in there in the first half and went toe to toe with McElroy, but in the second half the defense really let him down. The good news is that we’re most likely still in the NCAA tournament, but we’re going to have to pick it up a couple notches…
calourie

Post by calourie »

Good, hard fought game with goaltending the difference. Not that Thompson was bad, but McElroy was outstanding. Both teams should show well in the NCAAs, thinking G'town should get no lower than a 6th seed, and Denver in at 7 or 8. Any seed from 5on down is likely to get some quality opposition. Interesting to see who if anyone gets homefield advantage round one, having no clue on "the "THE COMMITTEE's" thoughts on the matter.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

calourie wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:28 pm Good, hard fought game with goaltending the difference. Not that Thompson was bad, but McElroy was outstanding....
Yes, McElroy was outstanding for Georgetown. He stood on his head, took away goals, including one with the butt end of his stick from a Morrill shot toward an upper corner. Morrill had two assists; would have had over twice as many against a lesser goalie. When JMo scored late in the third quarter to put Denver up 8-6, the Pios looked to be in pretty good shape...but then Georgetown started the 4th Q with four straight goals. Cotler looks over 10 pounds heavier than during his Yale days. At times Denver's ride looked very good; hope they can ramp that up in the NCAA's.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Tough loss.

Most stats favored Denver, except goals, assists, and saves. Owen McElroy and the Georgetown defense won the game for Georgetown. Georgetown also managed the clock with time outs better. I think a turnover that lead to a goal could have been prevented with a time out in the 3Q during a clear.

Assists 7 GU 4 DEN
Shots 27 GU 42 DEN
SOG 20 GU 24 DEN
EM 0-0 GU 0-2 DEN
Saves 15 GU 10 DEN
Clears 19-26 GU 15-19 DEN
Face offs 8-23 GU 15-23 DEN
TO 15 GU 14 DEN
CT 9 GU 5 DEN

Georgetown took advantage of the midi match ups.
- Georgetown midi's had 7 goals and 4 assists on 17 shots
- Denver midi's had 3 goals and 1 assist on 20 shots
Pio9

Post by Pio9 »

Full credit to Georgetown, they make big plays when they need too. Denver calls a time out on last possesion and that's the best shot they can come up with? No back up either? hmmm...
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

Another disheartening loss to Georgetown with a BE title on the line. Certainly a pattern here...

Georgetown was full value for making the biggest plays late in the game when the nerves get all jangly - the Hoyas scored four goals to DU's one in the fourth quarter and made five out of six saves in the fourth quarter, with DU going just 2 of 6. There's your ballgame.

The stats will tell you that this was a very winnable game for Denver and I think it's fair to say that execution level for Denver was substandard in the fourth quarter. Coach Tierney has 47 years of experience and is to my mind, the greatest coach this game has ever produced. Certainly, he knows the mental side of this game, and the upgrade in team mental toughness that must be achieved in order for Denver to be a factor in NCAA play, now that the proverbial safety net is now being removed.

In my mind, there is much more to this issue than the coaches. This is a senior-laden DU team, with tons of 5-year guys with experience. Frankly, we should be seeing more senior leadership on this team than we saw yesterday and those seniors need to show the way on the field. They need to reach deeper inside themselves to find the grit and confidence.

Show time, boys.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Congrats to Georgetown on another close win. I thought I heard the announcer say that Georgetown had won the runout to the end line four times? I don't know whether they've found a hole in the DU rotation on backing up shots and were coached up to be extra aggressive, or it was just bad luck for DU/good hustle by Georgetown, but losing four possessions that way hurt down the stretch.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Time to focus on our first NCAA game.

Sunday, May 16 at 5:30 p.m. MT
Denver (12-4)
Loyola Maryland (9-5)
Peter Barton Lacrosse Stadium - Denver, CO

Loyola is peaking at the right time. I am not sure what to fully make of the Georgetown Loyola game.
darkhaha

Post by darkhaha »

Anyone know if they’ll be allowing fans other than friends and relatives of players at Barton?
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

Yes-- Tickets will be issued to family members and offered via a VIP exclusive presale.

limited Unsold tickets will go on sale to the public Tuesday at 12 pm MT. General admission tickets are $20.

Considering three teams are flying to Denver, the Pioneers should be very happy with this first round assignment. There are two recent ex-Greyhounds on the DU roster (Boland and Devereaux) which should help DU with game prep. That said, Loyola beat Georgetown this year, so they can play, assuming Covid does not knock them out this week as it did to Loyola last week in the Patriot League tournament.

All in all the NCAA respects DU. Kudos to DU’s Brandon McNeill (an NCAA lax committee member this year) for whatever behind-the-scenes work had to be done to convince a money-and-travel-tight NCAA to fly three teams to Denver in a pandemic, when they could have chosen another eastern host and flown the Pioneers somewhere eastern this year, thus saving 2-3 more flights on a basically non-revenue generating tourney this year.

Well done.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

History of Denver vs. Loyola. 3-3. Last 3 games decided by 1. Two in OT.

https://denverpioneers.com/sports/mens- ... ryland/554
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Great pregame hype. But unfortunately, as a lifelong Hounds fan, I think you guys will be fine. This is not the same Loyola team from 7 years ago.
We cant draw a slide to save our lives, our defense is complacent, and our expected strengths- faceoffs and goaltending have been "meh" all season. ​
DU has too much talent for the Hounds. I like the Pios in a cakewalk, unfortunately.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

I think the game will be very close and tough.

Some Denver call outs for key players/positions for the tournament.

https://www.collegecrosse.com/2021/5/12 ... tournament

The Most Important Players of the NCAA Tournament
Who are the players who will have the biggest impact on their team’s fortunes this May? We take a look at a few below

By Jake Nazar@jake_nazar May 12, 2021, 8:00am EDT
The Denver Midfield
This should really read “The Denver Midfield aside from Jack Hannah.” You know what you’re getting from the massive midfielder from Milford, Ohio. 2nd on the team in goals with 34, he’s a First Team All-American and the best offensive midfielder in the entire country. He can dodge past any shortie with ease and even against tough poles. And his unique blend of size with slippery hands and good stick skills makes him hard to defend even when defended well off the dodge or in tight spaces. The question for Denver is….what do the rest of the midfielders do? In the Pios’ last two games against Georgetown, their only two losses since February, their remaining first midfielders Lucas Cotler and Ted Sullivan combined for 3 goals. The second midfield of Riley Curtis, Schuyler Blair, and Ellis Geis had just 2 goals. That’s 5 goals from Denver’s five midfielders outside of Jack Hannah. With Alex Simmons emergence as a dodging and passing option at the attack (31 goals, 21 assists, 52 points) as opposed to the more one dimensional JJ Sillstrop, you know have to pole the Pios entire attack unit of Jackson Morrill, Ethan Walker, and Simmons. Hannah will get a pole as well. That means when the first midfield is on, Cotler and Sullivan are getting shorties. When the 2nd midfield is on, someone is getting a pole. A real disadvantage for Denver. Someone from those five midfielders beyond Hannah needs to prove they can punish a short stick matchup and open up space for the shooters like Walker on the wing or Hannah with his big shot up top. This is why Denver struggled so much on offense in their final two meetings against an elite defense like Georgetown’s. And the road to Hartford is paved with elite defenses for the Pios. Loyola? Top 10 in adjusted defensive efficiency. Duke? Same. If they get there? Maryland or Notre Dame more likely than not, Top 5. There are elite defenses who will feel comfortable with matchups against Denver, unless Cotler or Sullivan or the 2nd midfield take off and become consistently threatening dodging presences, at which this Denver offense could be as deadly as anyone. But as of yet, we haven’t seen it.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... yer-/57895

Staff Debate: Who Will be the First Round's Breakout Player?
Wednesday May 12th, 2021 10:30am
Matt Kinnear (@MattKinnear)
Jack Thompson, G, Denver — For whatever reason, Thompson’s flown under the radar throughout the year. “I think he’s one of the best out there. I’d rather him be great and unheralded than be heralded and not so good,” Bill Tierney said to me earlier in the year. He stole the Pioneers’ most recent game against Villanova — you could argue he is responsible for the Wildcats not making the NCAA Tournament. That was the best single-game goalie performance from a Pioneer since 2003. What’s great about him is that his saves are timely; he doesn’t always put up gaudy numbers like that day, but he’ll make the big save to preserve a one-goal lead at the end of the game.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

It is bummer that the season is over. We were so close.

Hats off to Loyola and I wish them good luck against Duke.

This was first time Denver got 6 penalties in a game this season. Prior to the game we averaged 2.3 penalties / game. Prior to the game, our opponents averaged 4.2 / game. The stats are pretty even on home and away games.

We either changed our style and became reckless on defense, or the officiating crew called this game differently. I want to watch the game again as it felt like the calls did not go our way, but it always feels like that when you are losing.

- Loyola scored 3 EMO goals on 5 man up opportunities.
- Denver scored 2 EMO goals on 4 man up opportunities.

We got in a big whole in the 2nd quarter, and ultimately it was too big to come back from. It felt like every time we got close to tying the score, we got a penalty.

Denver won most of the stats:
- Shots 48 vs. 36
- Shots on goal 29 vs. 21
- GB's 37 vs. 22
- Face offs 23 vs. 7

Loyola won these stats:
- Saves 16 vs. 7
- Turnovers 12 vs. 16

I don't want to blame the refs. I'll watch the game and hold my judgement. But, you can't win if you get 6 penalties.
DMac

Post by DMac »

You can if you completely dominate the face off X though. Oh, wait....
Pio9

Post by Pio9 »

DU Fan- Thanks for the break down. The refs had nothing to do with that brutal 1st half. Some calls were marginal, but some were fairly egregious and poorly timed.Pios Couldn't execute with a 90 second emo when it counted and of course another missed shot late in the game with no back up????? The commentators even mentioned that Toomey was aware of the no back up issue during the season. We all expected much more out of a senior/grad student/transfer team. Pios just dug themselves to big a hole and yet were just a c*nt hair from getting it to overtime. This year was very dissapointing. Cherry on top was being awarded a home playoff game and not taking advantage. Congrats to Loyola.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”