Post by jrn19 »

keno in reno wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:44 am
NYterp09 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:38 am
jrn19 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:35 am
NYterp09 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:32 am
jrn19 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:30 am
NYterp09 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:26 am
jrn19 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:19 am
keno in reno wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:17 am Cuse is not getting in over Rutgers
They're going too. Not saying it's the right decision or you gotta love it; but the 2 Virginia wins are just so much more than anything else Rugers has that it'll be enough. Also, no bad losses on their resume in terms of who they lost too (how they lost obviously a different ?.)

Cuse and Rutgers might both get in; but Rutgers ain't getting in over Cuse
Why are you assuming the committee won’t look at how bad many of those cuse losses were? The opponent obviously matters but so does the competitiveness of the game. At least I think it should.
Because the committee has said in the past and has this for years that MoV or in this case margin of defeat doesn't matter. Just the win or the loss.
Right but that’s because they could rely on traditional metrics like RPI...they can’t do that this year so how can they not factor in the eye test?
Even if they do; Cuse still has 2 wins Rutgers doesn't. So you're weighing the 2 wins vs bad losses. Wins probably gonna win out in that case
Right I’m just not sure that two wins (over the same team) should outweigh four embarrassing, blowout losses
Yep, it all depends. This aint the basketball selection committee with literally thousands of intersecting data points to analyze. Most people who simply watched the lacrosse games this season would say Syracuse does not deserve a bid. They sucked and/or just gave up in a third of their games. But maybe their 2 wins over UVA override that.

Who knows if Rutgers is even the main competition against Syracuse for the bid? Rutgers is a good team. They probably would not beat UVA twice this year, but they also wouldn't quit playing like Syracuse did...TBD
I don't think there is competition for Cuse for a bid. They're in. If they had lost y'day, diff story. But they won. Rutgers competition is Army and Loyola IMO and I don't know where they go for that
stupefied

Re: 2021 NCAA Tournament

Post by stupefied »

Rutgers would have gotten in if they had split with Maryland but they couldn't hang. Being beaten by a 4-9 Hopkins team sealed their fate. Cant make much of a case when your only wins were agaisnt 4-7 and 3-9 teams .
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Comparing Rutger's record to SU's is silly. Sure, 4 losses, 3 of which came against top 5 teams. I guess you guys don't think much of UVA to discount those 2 top 5 wins so easily, one of which was of the "embarrassing, blowout" variety. And, SU beat 5 OOC teams. VT, SB, Alb, and RoMo are not elite teams but solid teams that on any given day could hang with anyone. Not RU's fault they couldn't play OOC but thems the facts mam.

Face it, SU is in and could get a low seed (depending on criteria of course). Now unless their defense has an epiphany of sorts and/or Porter can shake off being shell-shocked, I don't think they go far. The first round game alone will be a major challenge.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:02 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:58 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:51 pm Also, what does “I can’t say what I know” mean

If you have examples of the NCAA doing what you said, please provide them. You’re the one who made the claim
Then I said forget it but you won’t let me. Completely consistent and logical but whatever.
You can forget whatever you want. It's an internet comment board. No one's making you post
So you don’t want to and just keep arguing or don’t understand certain English words? Sweet. I decided to get some sleep. Much. More productive than this inane debate.

“This is an internet board and we’re all obnoxious keyboard warriors who want to make specious arguments to make us feel better about our teams even in the face of reality.” This is what’s going on with a whole lot of BigTen fans this year.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:19 am
keno in reno wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:17 am Cuse is not getting in over Rutgers
They're going too. Not saying it's the right decision or you gotta love it; but the 2 Virginia wins are just so much more than anything else Rugers has that it'll be enough. Also, no bad losses on their resume in terms of who they lost too (how they lost obviously a different ?.)

Cuse and Rutgers might both get in; but Rutgers ain't getting in over Cuse
This is rational. It’s consistent with the application, regardless of RPI, in the past. Just because they throw RPI out doesn’t mean they ignore the principle of who you’ve beat. Unless they explicitly said they would not consider the wins and losses on any level it would be extreme to assume otherwise
See Martin, Malcolm
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Loyola Men’s Lacrosse To Withdraw From Patriot League Championships Due To COVID Protocol

BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Due to a positive COVID-19 test from the Tier 1 testing pool of Loyola University Maryland men’s lacrosse team, the Greyhounds will withdraw from the Patriot League Championship Game out of an abundance of caution due to health and safety protocols.

After an 11-10 win over the U.S. Military Academy on Friday night, Loyola was due to play Lehigh University in the Championship Game on Sunday, May 9. By virtue of the no-contest, Lehigh will be the 2021 NCAA Division I Men’s Lacrosse Championship.

Loyola will evaluate its ability to be availability for NCAA Championships competition.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:57 am Loyola Men’s Lacrosse To Withdraw From Patriot League Championships Due To COVID Protocol

BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Due to a positive COVID-19 test from the Tier 1 testing pool of Loyola University Maryland men’s lacrosse team, the Greyhounds will withdraw from the Patriot League Championship Game out of an abundance of caution due to health and safety protocols.

After an 11-10 win over the U.S. Military Academy on Friday night, Loyola was due to play Lehigh University in the Championship Game on Sunday, May 9. By virtue of the no-contest, Lehigh will be the 2021 NCAA Division I Men’s Lacrosse Championship.

Loyola will evaluate its ability to be availability for NCAA Championships competition.
So will the selection committee name a COVID replacement team if some other team has to pull out between now and next weekend
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Good question. I doubt they'll make it public and... my guess is that if a team pulls out, the opponent in the bracket will just get a bye.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
camskidamski

Post by camskidamski »

Sucks for those Loyola boys...work that hard in tourney time and BAM...saw it in basketball though so not surprised. Wonder if it was a false positive (probably)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:16 am Good question. I doubt they'll make it public and... my guess is that if a team pulls out, the opponent in the bracket will just get a bye.
See I knew Hopkins folks were up to something. They’re getting themselves into this tourney one way or another even if it means creating a second pandemic!
See Martin, Malcolm
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:22 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:16 am Good question. I doubt they'll make it public and... my guess is that if a team pulls out, the opponent in the bracket will just get a bye.
See I knew Hopkins folks were up to something. They’re getting themselves into this tourney one way or another even if it means creating a second pandemic!
They are awfully close to Loyola’s campus. 😉😂
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Either that or the boys decided to celebrate the Army win at a W BMore gentlemen’s club to celebrate.
See Martin, Malcolm
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

leonard punctuating one of the most laughable selection processes in recent memory.

my condolences army. and delaware.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Weird bracket.

My initial reactions:

- UNC has a cakewalk to the Final Four
- If Cuse can get by Georgetown, they get to play the only other team in the field they know they can beat in the QF. Lucky them
- Why the Duke - High Point rematch? Feel like they could have switched Duke and Maryland's first round games
- Loyola got in because their win over Georgetown became more valuable than Army's over Syracuse
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

wgdsr wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:28 pm leonard punctuating one of the most laughable selection processes in recent memory.

my condolences army. and delaware.
loyola would've ripped lehigh today. outside of zeisselburger it's a 500 team. CBS has a good one in washburn, hope the Patriot league realizes how lucky it is to have games w/cameras that aren't in outer space like maryland, broadcasters that aren't 19 year olds from their frat house like btn, and color guys that aren't sideshow homer clowns like anish on espn.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:36 pm Weird bracket.

My initial reactions:

- If Cuse can get by Georgetown, they get to play the only other team in the field they know they can beat in the QF. Lucky them
- Why the Duke - High Point rematch? Feel like they could have switched Duke and Maryland's first round games
- Loyola got in because their win over Georgetown became more valuable than Army's over Syracuse
Hounds are in because they just beat Army
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

My initial reactions:

Army beat Loyola convincingly at Ridley a couple weeks ago and lost by one on Friday. I think Army should have been in over them. Terps got screwed over - 3 seed with ND in the second round? C'mon now.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

My initial reactions:

Agree with that last point. No one wants to say it and of course, obviously the team would have killed to play but in regards to making the tournament....not the worst thing for Loyola to cancelled vs Lehigh. Again, of course they wanted tons in their way in but if they had played and lost, no way they are in. If G’town had lost to Denver, very possible it could have been Army again. Weird, weird year.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

I’m not sure why anyone thought Delaware was getting in.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

nyjay wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:44 pm Terps got screwed over - 3 seed with ND in the second round? C'mon now.
At Notre Dame.

If the selection committee had such a hard time understanding how good MD is because of the conference-only schedule, why did they let Rutgers in?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”