Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cletus

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by Cletus »

glaxer24 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:16 pm In today’s Lehigh vs Loyola game, at around 15:58 in the 2nd, a Loyola defender butt checked their attacker and it was legal... I thought butt checks were illegal?
It is indeed illegal, but as you’ll see in this clip, the refs miss a lot of fouls:

https://youtu.be/GRo8P_jrgrQ
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

Cletus wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:04 am
glaxer24 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:16 pm In today’s Lehigh vs Loyola game, at around 15:58 in the 2nd, a Loyola defender butt checked their attacker and it was legal... I thought butt checks were illegal?
It is indeed illegal, but as you’ll see in this clip, the refs miss a lot of fouls:

Interesting clip :lol: The ref was right in front of that play, same with when the butt check occurred
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

glaxer24 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:29 am

Interesting clip :lol: The ref was right in front of that play, same with when the butt check occurred
I know—I crack up every time I watch it.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Good to see that big shaggy head of red hair back in the house. Weren’t hardly the same without him.
Cletus

Who graduates/who opts for another year?

Post by Cletus »

It will make next year interesting. What will teams look like if the boatload of returning grad students, seniors and redshirts due to covid all graduate this spring? Once the backlog of seniors graduate, teams will look drastically different. Take NC for instance, if all their grad students, redshirt seniors and seniors (12 total) all graduate this year, it will look like a completely different team next year, and no longer a shoe-in for the ACC title (regular season or conference title). For next year, anyway...
Cletus

ACC and Big 10 coordination

Post by Cletus »

The two biggest and best conferences in D1 have done a nice job dovetailing their conference playing time schedules.

The ACC starts Wednesday with all 4 quarterfinal games being played starting at noon with ideal seacoaster spacing of 2-1/2 hours allotted for each game.

The Big 10 starts Thursday with all three 1st rd games played beginning at 2pm with even better seacoaster spacing as each game is allotted 3 hours each.

And here's where the dovetailing is at its finest:

Friday both conferences beam their semifinals. ACC at noon and 2:30pm. Big 10 at 5 and 8pm.

Sunday is the only day there's trouble as both finals start at noon. But in this age of modern technology, replays make seeing both games easy.

Good times in women's lacrosse these days.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

I do not believe that a butt check is illegal. There are legal ways to check the bottom of the stick, but in doing so, the stick must be away from the body and the check must also go away from the body/face without hitting hands/body. https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xp ... story.html

There are so many fouls that can occur from butt checking that it is not seen as a safe check -reaching across the body, causing either stick to go towards the head, hitting the hands or other body part, hooking, illegal contact, dangerous contact, illegal use of the crosse...Lots of reasons not to do it, but the act of checking the bottom of the stick is not illegal, AFAIK.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:09 am

I do not believe that a butt check is illegal. There are legal ways to check the bottom of the stick, but in doing so, the stick must be away from the body and the check must also go away from the body/face without hitting hands/body. https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xp ... story.html

There are so many fouls that can occur from butt checking that it is not seen as a safe check -reaching across the body, causing either stick to go towards the head, hitting the hands or other body part, hooking, illegal contact, dangerous contact, illegal use of the crosse...Lots of reasons not to do it, but the act of checking the bottom of the stick is not illegal, AFAIK.
I don't know if this fits the context or not but this is from the NCAA rule book for 2020 & '21, See item 5.

n. Illegal Use of the Stick: Using the stick in a dangerous and/or intimidating
manner. For example:
1. Directly poking or waving the stick near an opponent’s face;
2. Roughly or recklessly checking an opponent’s stick. Any part of a stick
may be checked in a direction toward the body if the check is controlled.
No player’s stick may hit or cause an opponent’s stick to hit an opponent’s
body;
3. Making a sweeping check from behind that contacts an opponent’s body;
4. Reaching across an opponent to check the stick when one is level with or
behind their opponent;
5. Using the webbed area of one’s stick to hook the bottom end of an
opponent’s stick
; or
6. Any other action with the stick that, in the official’s opinion, amounts to
dangerous or intimidating play.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Cletus wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:20 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:09 am

I don't know if this fits the context or not but this is from the NCAA rule book for 2020 & '21, See item 5.

n. Illegal Use of the Stick: Using the stick in a dangerous and/or intimidating
manner. For example:
1. Directly poking or waving the stick near an opponent’s face;
2. Roughly or recklessly checking an opponent’s stick. Any part of a stick
may be checked in a direction toward the body if the check is controlled.
No player’s stick may hit or cause an opponent’s stick to hit an opponent’s
body;
3. Making a sweeping check from behind that contacts an opponent’s body;
4. Reaching across an opponent to check the stick when one is level with or
behind their opponent;
5. Using the webbed area of one’s stick to hook the bottom end of an
opponent’s stick
; or
6. Any other action with the stick that, in the official’s opinion, amounts to
dangerous or intimidating play.
Yes that is hooking as I mentioned above. That isn't the intent of the butt check, but one of the possible fouls
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:50 am Yes that is hooking as I mentioned above. That isn't the intent of the butt check, but one of the possible fouls
Ah, I see.
Cletus

Is this supposed to be a rare occurrence?

Post by Cletus »

In the last two or three weeks, I have seen this happen 4 times for sure, and maybe even 5 if memory serves. Is this rare? Are goalies getting more aggressive? I just have never seen this in years past. The goalie commits a foul, and has to line up on the 12 behind the shooter. Anyone else out there feel this is rare or has this greenhorn not watched enough lacrosse over the last eight years?

TNLAX

Re: Is this supposed to be a rare occurrence?

Post by TNLAX »

Cletus wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:41 am In the last two or three weeks, I have seen this happen 4 times for sure, and maybe even 5 if memory serves. Is this rare? Are goalies getting more aggressive? I just have never seen this in years past. The goalie commits a foul, and has to line up on the 12 behind the shooter. Anyone else out there feel this is rare or has this greenhorn not watched enough lacrosse over the last eight years?

Seen it happen a few times this season, maybe as goalies, and all players, are getting more athletic they are rooming more from the crease.

But to me it is another example of the many rules that need to be changed in the women’s game. You are basically giving a goal to the team that was fouled. I don’t mind the fact that a penalty is called , but giving a player an empty net 8 meter is just silly.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

When a goalie leaves the goal circle she is a field player. Or you can tune into a PAC 12 game where this rule is. To enforced! :lol:
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Cletus wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:41 am In the last two or three weeks, I have seen this happen 4 times for sure, and maybe even 5 if memory serves. Is this rare? Are goalies getting more aggressive? I just have never seen this in years past. The goalie commits a foul, and has to line up on the 12 behind the shooter. Anyone else out there feel this is rare or has this greenhorn not watched enough lacrosse over the last eight years?

yes, but did she make the shot??
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:34 am

she did
njbill

Post by njbill »

Haha. I can think of at least once where I saw a player miss a shot like that. Bet you have too.

It’s like a 2 foot putt.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

njbill wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:45 am

Haha. I can think of at least once where I saw a player miss a shot like that. Bet you have too.

It’s like a 2 foot putt.
Heard a rumour....that they may move Final Four from Towson to PPL Park in Phily. Anyone hear anything about this?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Ouch. I'm losing my fastball. I only know one of these girls, the one from Jersey. And she's definitely deserving. I think Terp Nation is going to like her next year.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”