Here is where we stand in terms of conference results only:

Delaware is 6-1, and hosts UMass.

Drexel is 5-2, and visits Towson.

UMass is 4-3 and visits Delaware.

Hofstra is 3-4 and hosts Fairfield.

Towson is 3-4 and hosts Drexel.

Fairfield is 0-7 and visits Hofstra.

So, here are my questions:

1. Are Delaware and Drexel the only current two LOCKS to make the CAA Tournament?
2. If Delaware and Drexel both win, who gets the #1 seed?
3. If the answer to #1 is yes, what has to happen for each of the other three contending teams to get in?
10stone5

Re: Colonial Athletic Association 2021

Post by 10stone5 »

Win and you’re in,
the rest is just a bunch of fluff.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:17 pm Win and you’re in,
Yes, but only four teams make the tournament. What if UMASS, Towson, and Hofstra finish 4-4. One will get left out.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:37 pm Here is where we stand in terms of conference results only:

Delaware is 6-1, and hosts UMass.

Drexel is 5-2, and visits Towson.

UMass is 4-3 and visits Delaware.

Hofstra is 3-4 and hosts Fairfield.

Towson is 3-4 and hosts Drexel.

Fairfield is 0-7 and visits Hofstra.

So, here are my questions:

1. Are Delaware and Drexel the only current two LOCKS to make the CAA Tournament?
2. If Delaware and Drexel both win, who gets the #1 seed?
3. If the answer to #1 is yes, what has to happen for each of the other three contending teams to get in?
1) yes
2) Delaware. They’re a game ahead ahead in the standings
3) UMass: Win and they are in
Hofstra: Win and Towson loss and they are in for certain. They also could make it in if they win and Towson wins depending on what the tiebreaker is. I don’t know the tiebreaker scenarios. Anyone do?
Towson: Win, Hofstra and UMass loses. They would have the H2H over UMass and Hofstra would be 3-5.

I’m not sure what the tiebreaker is if all 3 are 4-4.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:20 pm
Yes, but only four teams make the tournament. What if UMASS, Towson, and Hofstra finish 4-4? One will get left out.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

There is a committee to decide tie breakers. So, hold your horses.
Neverplaydown

Post by Neverplaydown »

If Towson wins they are in. 100 percent
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Yes, but only four teams make the tournament. What if UMASS, Towson, and Hofstra finish 4-4. One will get left out.
Its the CAA,
one bid only,

if you don’t win, none of that stuff matters.
Tiebreakers, who cares at this stage of the season.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Neverplaydown wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:11 pm Delaware looked great Saturday. Towson was worst effort all year. Can someone explain the logic of not playing kitchen behind. How did that work out. Play a zone if that’s the case. Del dominated in every aspect of game. All that said I would bet Towson gives much better effort against Drexel. Win and in. They hold tie breaker over Hofstra and U mass. Also they get in with 3 way tie. Hope to get 4 seed and rematch with Del.
Towson was to soft on Kitchen. Zungalia could have matched up on CK. Delaware’s offense was in full swing. Del played well and Towson did not extend out on really good shooters. I would think about short sticking CK and lock down the rest. Let him go to the goal and let him have 2 or 3. It’s when he starts the offense and distributes the ball is when Delaware is tough to stop. When he drives up w a short stick on him - have a quick slide .

What’s interesting in our Baltimore lacrosse circle is that UMBC is the best team in the area (Hopkins, Loyola, Towson & Navy). Maryland is a DC school.
lillaxman

Post by lillaxman »

Last week of the regular season, should be hearing about the All CAA teams here soon. Until about three weeks ago I thought Tierney was run away for player of the year, after his play in the CAA I personally dont think he deserves it. We'll see if his dad pulls some string..lol.

Throw down your teams
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

lets beat FF on fri then worry about the other horseshit
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:30 am What’s interesting in our Baltimore lacrosse circle is
that UMBC is the best team in the area (Hopkins,
Loyola, Towson & Navy).
That close defense for UMBC, I really like, they can
shut teams down. Don’t really know their offense.
Navy, though, almost had the shutout going against
Army, one goal until well into the 2nd half, and they
have so many horses.

Who’s going to win the CAA automatic qualifier ?

I don’t know.

But the Hens are the favorite at this moment in time.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

lillaxman wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:57 am Last week of the regular season, should be hearing about the All CAA teams here soon. Until about three weeks ago I thought Tierney was run away for player of the year, after his play in the CAA I personally dont think he deserves it. We'll see if his dad pulls some string..lol.

Throw down your teams
Kitchens IMO is POY. The set shooters don’t get the snaps without him running the show.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:25 pm
Its the CAA,
one bid only,

if you don’t win, none of that stuff matters.
Tiebreakers, who cares at this stage of the season.
Well you have to have the tiebreaker to get into the tournament to have a chance at that one bid. That’s the entire point
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

lillaxman wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:57 am Last week of the regular season, should be hearing about the All CAA teams here soon. Until about three weeks ago I thought Tierney was run away for player of the year, after his play in the CAA I personally dont think he deserves it. We'll see if his dad pulls some string..lol.

Throw down your teams
Pre-season the Hens only had one player on the All-CAA team - Charlie Kitchen

There are a few guys that I think under-performed on the pre-season list which could open up some spots.

Here is the pre-season list:

Dylan Beckwith attack
Reid Bowering attack
Chris Connelly attack
Charlie Kitchen attack
Ryan Tierney attack
Collin Mailman midfield
Taylor Strough midfield
Jeff Trainor midfield
Michael Altmann LSM
Brian Herber FOGO
Sam Eisenstadt defense
Sean Quinn defense
Koby Smith defense
Bobby Casey goalie

Due to injury or underperformance I would think that the post-season Attack list would no longer have Reid Bowering or Chris Connelly. Beckwith, Kitchen and Connelly were all really solid this year. I might add Michael Robinson, Tye Kurtz, Aidan Coll or Justin Lynskey to that first team. Robinson and Kurtz lead the league in PPG during conference play.

On Midfield I am not sure I would include Collin Mailman or Taylor Strough to the first team list. I think Ryan Genord, Jack Mulcahy, Kevin Tobin, Riley Forte or Mark Beida had stronger seasons than the preseason group.

Michael Altmann was great at LSM. I would think that Mo Sillah could get votes there as well.
Brian Herber was the best FOGO so no questions there.
On defense, I would replace Sam Eisenstadt with Owen Grant. That is really no disrespect to Eisenstadt who is a talented close defender, but he is certainly not a shut-down guy like Smith, Quinn and Grant.

Bobby Casey actually has the lowest save percentage of any goalie in the CAA. I thought he was a stretch in the pre-season list especially given the freshman performance of Matt Knote against top-level competition. Knote should be the guy here.

My $.02.
Last edited by Henpecked on Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HU34

Post by HU34 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:07 am

Throw down your teams
Kitchens IMO is POY. The set shooters don’t get the snaps without him running the show.
Season is not over. It's a three horse race. Tierney & Kitchen neck and neck with Trainor in 3rd. Winner will be determined by how their respective teams finish out.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Tierney's pre-CAA season does not compare favorably to the impact he has had within the conference. He went nuts with big stats against St. Johns, Wagner, Sacred Heart and Stony Brook where he averaged just under 6 goals a game (5.75).

In the CAA play he has averaged just 2.14 goals a game which ties him for 8th in the conference. He averages 3.57 points per game (5th best in the conference) and well behind Charlie Kitchen's leading 5.71 points per game.

I don't think this is a contest in my opinion.

Kitchen was pre-season POY. I think that stands. Particularly with his team having a 6-1 record in conference.
Last edited by Henpecked on Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

BTW, congratulations to Tierney and Trainor on their selections in the PLL draft. I am shocked that no one picked Kitchen. Does the PLL have UFAs like the NFL?
HU34

Post by HU34 »

Henpecked wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:48 am Tierney's pre-CAA season does not compare favorably to the impact he has had within the conference. He went nuts with big stats against St. Johns, Wagner, Sacred Heart and Stony Brook where he averaged just under 6 goals a game (5.75).

In the CAA play he has averaged just 2.14 goals a game which ties him for 8th in the conference. He averages 3.57 points per game (5th best in the conference) and well behind Charlie Kitchen's leading 5.71 points per game.

I don't think this is a contest in my opinion.

Kitchen was pre-season POY. I think that stands.
I hear you. In conference and team results weigh heavy. I have much respect for Kitchen. That being said Tierney is the better lacrosse player. If Hofstra sneaks in to CAA tournament I think he deserves it.
Neverplaydown

Post by Neverplaydown »

I disagree Tierney is a very selfish player. No idea what team means. Kitchen is better. Towson is going to Winn CAA tourney

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”