D1 Womens Lacrosse
Laxfan500

Re: Gentlemen’s Wagers

Post by Laxfan500 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:03 pm
seacoaster wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:47 am
DMac wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:12 am
seacoaster wrote
DMac, do we have a wager of some sort on BC losing both games of the doubleheader to an injured and depleted Notre Dame?
Yes we do, and how 'bout we make the "some sort" something from the Dollar General? ;)
BC's looking mighty good these days, pretty scary team.
ND just gave the unbeatable a scare though. We'll see
what happens but I'm not oozing with confidence about
this wager right now.
I am just thinking the BC offense will have trouble with ND's very able defense, and that BC's defensive defensive youngsters are going to have more trouble than in past games (except the UNC game). Dollar General is fine. Right to call oneself, for 48 hours, the King of Stupid Bets would suffice.
In Fairness to UNC it’s prob the best thing for them . A near loss but still a win prob shakes them out of their complacency. They had a bad game in bad weather. Let’s see in ACCs how it all plays out. BC hasn’t played a top team in a while. Beating up on VT not same as ND or Syr. Next two weekends going to be exciting !
Also...look out for huge games from Howe and Choma.
Cletus

An amendation

Post by Cletus »

I should probably have put this in the opening post, but, to the winner belong the spoils, which includes a little good-natured ribbing and gloating. As it is in the real world, so it should be on here.

Or another way of saying it:

My post, my rules 😉🤣
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

DMac wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:36 am Thanks, C, but no and methinks sc would be a whole lot better off without this sidekick. I'm just an a-hole with a whole lot of BS while he, on the other hand, is pretty damn bright and a whole lot more professional.
I think a better way to characterize you is a knowledgeable and very funny participant on the women’s boards. The other stuff? We’re all guilty at one time or another. I got both hands raised on that.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:44 am
Can Opener wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:12 am SC -- Do you want some action on this statement? "BC plays Notre Dame twice in Chestnut Hill, and then Syracuse twice in the Dome. I can see BC going 1-3 in those games, best case scenario." I will take the over with a beer on the line. Delivery method TBD. BTW, as much as I'd like to win a free beer and as much as I root for the Eagles, I sincerely hope that everyone on ND is healthy and plays well this weekend.
So what's the bet, CO?
If BC wins only one or zero out of the next four games, you get the barley pop. If BC wins two or more, then I get the glory and the suds. Maybe we settle up in person at the Final Four. (My daughter is dying to go.) Or at a Portsmouth watering hole.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Can Opener wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:53 pm
seacoaster wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:44 am
Can Opener wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:12 am SC -- Do you want some action on this statement? "BC plays Notre Dame twice in Chestnut Hill, and then Syracuse twice in the Dome. I can see BC going 1-3 in those games, best case scenario." I will take the over with a beer on the line. Delivery method TBD. BTW, as much as I'd like to win a free beer and as much as I root for the Eagles, I sincerely hope that everyone on ND is healthy and plays well this weekend.
So what's the bet, CO?
If BC wins only one or zero out of the next four games, you get the barley pop. If BC wins two or more, then I get the glory and the suds. Maybe we settle up in person at the Final Four. (My daughter is dying to go.) Or at a Portsmouth watering hole.
It's a bet. BC goes 1-3 or 0-4, I win. BC goes .500 or better, you get the beer.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:03 pm
In Fairness to UNC it’s prob the best thing for them . A near loss but still a win prob shakes them out of their complacency. They had a bad game in bad weather. Let’s see in ACCs how it all plays out. BC hasn’t played a top team in a while. Beating up on VT not same as ND or Syr. Next two weekends going to be exciting !
[/quote]

Not to be a nitpicker, but the week before the Va Tech game, BC played #8 Duke and won 17-15 in a come-from-behind victory. Prior to that, they played #16 Louisville back to back. 7 of the Eagles' 10 games have been against ranked opponents. Otherwise, I agree with your analysis that ND's defense and goalie are a plus, while North in the draw circle seems to get stronger every game. I think it will largely come down to strength on strength -- can BC's remarkable O figure out ND's excellent D? Kayla Treanor has done a terrific job of making adjustments and evolving the offense as the season has progressed. After Louisville face guarded North in the first game and forced OT, Treanor tweaked the plan and BC won the second game 18-3. I don't think there has been a bigger point swing in these ACC double headers all season. The bottom line is that this is a great matchup and has the potential to be the best two-game series of the year in the ACC. If either team sweeps, it should lock up the #4 seed in the NCAA tournament.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

DMac wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:12 am
seacoaster wrote
DMac, do we have a wager of some sort on BC losing both games of the doubleheader to an injured and depleted Notre Dame?
Yes we do, and how 'bout we make the "some sort" something from the Dollar General? ;)
BC's looking mighty good these days, pretty scary team.
ND just gave the unbeatable a scare though. We'll see
what happens but I'm not oozing with confidence about
this wager right now.
I'd go with ND winning both in this matchup. However, BC does have the home field advantage. I have a feeling that ND will shut off North like they did with Hoeg from UNC.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Cletus wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:21 am Seeing as how an occasional wager between gentlemen arises here, I thought it good to create a thread for safe keeping of such wagers and challenges.

A Gentleman’s Wager, as you all know, does not involve any monetary reward. But if anyone wants to dangle gummy bears or Starbucks gift cards, well, that’s between the gentlemen involved.

We’ve already had a few wagers put forth on these boards. For instance:

Laxfan500 and I have a wager this weekend. Laxfan stated that Syracuse would beat Louisville in both games by 15 points or more. I challenged that. And thus we have our bet.

I think 8meterPA and I have one cooking, as well.

DMac also has a good one, but I will let him tell you about that if he feels so inclined.
Well 14 yesterday was pretty darn close.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxfan500 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:10 am Well 14 yesterday was pretty darn close.
Indeed!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Carney's lightning bolt pipe shot (hit two of 'em) woulda made it 15.
She needs to hone her skills in a bit, I guess. ;)
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

DMac wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:25 am Carney's lightning bolt pipe shot (hit two of 'em) woulda made it 15.
She needs to hone her skills in a bit, I guess. ;)
Laxfan made a good call, no doubt. Think it will be any closer next game, D? Did you get the sense that the Cards quit in the face of the high powered Orange offense the way the Cavs did?
DMac

Post by DMac »

I do think it will be closer as I'd bet Gary will have many more of his back ups in the game earlier.
I'm sure he wants to get his starters some running time to keep them sharp and in game form but
I'll be surprised if some who don't get a lot of playing time will get quite a bit today.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

DMac wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:36 am I do think it will be closer as I'd bet Gary will have many more of his back ups in the game earlier.
I'm sure he wants to get his starters some running time to keep them sharp and in game form but
I'll be surprised if some who don't get a lot of playing time will get quite a bit today.
You mean, we might even get to see Molly Carter??
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

So I am sure I owe DMac some generic brand window cleaner from Dollar General. Do I also owe Can Opener a beer sometime in town in the post-Plague era?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Since it's a Dollar Store wager it's winner's choice from their vast selection of inventory so I'm thinkin' I'm gonna switch to one of those little blind squirrel ornaments/statues. If you can find one of those I'll take that rather than the window cleaner, think it would look nice in my herb garden.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:06 pm So I am sure I owe DMac some generic brand window cleaner from Dollar General. Do I also owe Can Opener a beer sometime in town in the post-Plague era?
Happy to go double or nuthin’ on BC winning one at the dome. If Syracuse sweeps, you win. If BC wins one or both, I win. Are you game?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Can Opener wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:14 am
seacoaster wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:06 pm So I am sure I owe DMac some generic brand window cleaner from Dollar General. Do I also owe Can Opener a beer sometime in town in the post-Plague era?
Happy to go double or nuthin’ on BC winning one at the dome. If Syracuse sweeps, you win. If BC wins one or both, I win. Are you game?
Sure.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:29 am
Sure.
To paraphrase a famous Seinfeld episode, these BC wins are making me thirsty. :D
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:00 pm
Sure.
To paraphrase a famous Seinfeld episode, these BC wins are making me thirsty. :D
Your team earned it. A really impressive two weeks of lacrosse.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:01 am
Can Opener wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:00 pm
Sure.
Your team earned it. A really impressive two weeks of lacrosse.
Thanks. Just got my second shot yesterday. C u soon at a seacoast pub. I'll bring the pretzels.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”