Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
pcowlax

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by pcowlax »

random observer wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:26 am Millon is good but IMO his last name has boosted his profile. My feeling is someone else will be the top dog in that class whether IL recognizes it or not. Both he and Kellogg are reclasses who should really be 22s. Kellogg in particular would be on the older side of the grade above him (having said that his shot is legit; he was clocked at 102 mph as a 13 year old).
Yes, Kellogg will turn 20 in October of his freshman year. In a normal world this would make him quite old and put him senior season at 23 1/2. This year, he would be a youngin on some of these teams!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:05 am With respect to the players themselves - I know nothing - except that Mark Millon's son is apparently the "one" from that class and while I initially thought maybe Hopkins had an outside chance if somehow Millon and Junior were friends or something like that but I have come to understand that most will be really shocked if the young man doesn't end up at Penn State (Grant Ament continues to torture). There's one kid on the list that can bring it at 100 mph - there's a skill Hopkins needs in the worst way.
I believe the Millons are also close with Jay Dyer and they've been known to frequent Homewood Field. To be clear I too know nothing and I am not saying we have a chance to land the kid but I wouldn't be so certain that a familial connection to an alum of a certain program will be enough to get the kid to commit...he's going to be hearing from Duke/Maryland/UNC/UVA/ND/Ivies/etc—with all due respect to PSU, there's a reason O'Neill switched his commitment.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

https://www.lacrosseplayground.com/spec ... ant-ament/

This would likely be the source of the PSU theoretical advantage
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:42 am
random observer wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:26 am Millon is good but IMO his last name has boosted his profile. My feeling is someone else will be the top dog in that class whether IL recognizes it or not. Both he and Kellogg are reclasses who should really be 22s. Kellogg in particular would be on the older side of the grade above him (having said that his shot is legit; he was clocked at 102 mph as a 13 year old).
Yes, Kellogg will turn 20 in October of his freshman year. In a normal world this would make him quite old and put him senior season at 23 1/2. This year, he would be a youngin on some of these teams!
But in lax (as opposed to the $ sports), where the pinnacle of your career is likely to be in college, it makes a certain amount of sense to game the system like this.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:48 am https://www.lacrosseplayground.com/spec ... ant-ament/

This would likely be the source of the PSU theoretical advantage
story about a famed retired player, famed college player, potential stud, and 2 separate pictures in the story are at homewood. So many advantages we have.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

nyjay wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:51 am
But in lax (as opposed to the $ sports), where the pinnacle of your career is likely to be in college, it makes a certain amount of sense to game the system like this.
So if Im reading this right, this young man is a Rising Junior at Trinity Pawling and he’s the same age as many of the soon to be incoming freshmen at college?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:26 am 51, thought you answered that last year. He wants guys that can execute his system which means we're not supposed to expect IL cover boys anymore. The other questions are
-how he rebuilds. Grad students (amherst goalie) vs kids already enrolled at other schools (fernandez) vs true freshmen (next years freshman class), vs trying to fit guys he already has at homewood (the lineup this year).
-whether he continues the Petro tradition of getting a few guys on the roster every year whose fathers played at homewood.
-how he brings it all together. Going to be a lot of turnover next few years on top of everything this season.
I don't recall that was me - but maybe. I was talking out of turn if it was - because I have no idea - one can see that Cornell's couple of classes weren't full of 5 stars - but he had a generational 5 star in Teat - and 5 stars can also execute systems. Piatelli I guess was not a UA AA but he was pretty much everything else: US AA - 1st team USA today - ISL Player of the Year etc. Michael Long was a UA AA, New Jersey POY, US AA etc. and Milliman clearly recruited him so even though he may not have recruited all of these players his "system" had recognized talent within. And again - I am not advocating he recruit only IL 5 stars - but let's say there's an O'Neill out there or that Millon really is all that and a bag of chips (I have never seen him) - well I think you gotta put your hat in the ring.

I guess I also need someone to explain this magical "system" to me. He likes ball movement over individual dodging - He likes motion - Junior likes 2 man games - doesn't sound very revolutionary to me. Aside from Tiffany - who QK maintains just rolls the ball out for that insane amount of offensive talent - who wouldn't want those things?
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:01 am
nyjay wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:51 am
So if Im reading this right, this young man is a Rising Junior at Trinity Pawling and he’s the same age as many of the soon to be incoming freshmen at college?
He is currently a sophomore and is 17 (his birthday is public online, I am not speaking out of class here). He will turn 18 this fall as a junior. Certainly he is a very old high school student but these days the player who arrives at college still 17 is an outlier.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Game notes are up - Marcille is on the list of Key Personnel (So is Kirson So is Darby) I didn't check to see if this was new or status quo for the notes.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:36 am Game notes are up - Marcille is on the list of Key Personnel (So is Kirson So is Darby) I didn't check to see if this was new or status quo for the notes.
It's new

Peshko also added

Zinn moved from O middie to SSDM

Think those are the only changes.

Was hoping for a Big Ten tournament seedings scenario from Ernie—not that it matters a whole lot but I'm mildly curious if we'll be making the trip to Columbus or Happy Valley next week, or if we somehow pull off a miracle on Saturday what the chances would be of hosting a first round game vs. Mich or PSU.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:05 am Essentially 48 hours to a Maryland game and all is quiet - not much hope in Mudville I guess - it's all Milliman's fault - hoser - if only we had a Baird man coaching our Baird men things would be so much different. C'mon Jen!!

On a slightly more serious note - I ran across TX's first write-up of 2023 5 stars. I guess it was first put out there a couple weeks ago but I only just found it. Got me to wondering what Milliman's approach and structure to recruiting will be and how will it be different from what he did at Cornell? I used to have more than one reason to be at some of the bigger summer/fall tournaments in the mid-atlantic area and one thing you had to say about Petro - I almost always saw him or one of the AC's - but my one editorial is that since often Hopkins class would be full - they didn't appear very interested in the play on the field - more in BS'ing with their friends/brethern. But that could be true for many coaches that I didn't notice. With respect to the players themselves - I know nothing - except that Mark Millon's son is apparently the "one" from that class and while I initially thought maybe Hopkins had an outside chance if somehow Millon and Junior were friends or something like that but I have come to understand that most will be really shocked if the young man doesn't end up at Penn State (Grant Ament continues to torture). There's one kid on the list that can bring it at 100 mph - there's a skill Hopkins needs in the worst way.

Wombat: What would you want Milliman to say? I know some would like an in depth analysis of the current roster - others feel they deserve an explanation of the Epstein episode and others would like clarification on why he is not Sean Nadelen. I don't think he owes us any of those things.
I don’t expect much at all. That’s the point of this season.

And now I see these weekly missives are essentially mailed in.

Two sentences, and I gave you the second one in full, while adding “duh” to the end of it.
AOD

Post by AOD »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:08 am https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/13 ... 5724933121
Former @AmherstLacrosse goalie Gib Versfeld will head to @JHUmenslacrosse as a grad student, per @BlueStarLax. Versfeld (6'4, 210 lbs.) took over as the starter for the DIII runner-up in 2019, stopping nearly 55 percent of the shots he faced.
I assume the Annino connection helped here.

6'4'' goalie saved 55% for the D3 runner-ups in 2019. Can't hurt! Great name too.
Agree on the name. I would temper my enthusiasm until he's a little more battle tested. He played in 8 full games in 2019. And he played behind a very strong defense along with an offense that often controlled the ball and dominated the match.

In HS, he played behind Levine now of Princeton until his senior year. And his defense in HS included Chris Fake of Yale.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

Yea the DIII goalie seeing DIII shots who hasn't played a lacrosse game in two years is really going to get JHU back to the top! Amherst is the connection they want for recruiting / transfers? Interesting choice. Tillman, Tiffany, Breschi, Danowski must be laughing inside thinking about how easy recruiting will be. Didn't JHU used to go after the VERY best HS players in the country?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

courtdog wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:46 pm Yea the DIII goalie seeing DIII shots who hasn't played a lacrosse game in two years is really going to get JHU back to the top! Amherst is the connection they want for recruiting / transfers? Interesting choice. Tillman, Tiffany, Breschi, Danowski must be laughing inside thinking about how easy recruiting will be. Didn't JHU used to go after the VERY best HS players in the country?
Weird post
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:55 pm
courtdog wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:46 pm Yea the DIII goalie seeing DIII shots who hasn't played a lacrosse game in two years is really going to get JHU back to the top! Amherst is the connection they want for recruiting / transfers? Interesting choice. Tillman, Tiffany, Breschi, Danowski must be laughing inside thinking about how easy recruiting will be. Didn't JHU used to go after the VERY best HS players in the country?
Weird post
What's weird about it? JHU thinks a D3 goalie is the answer to their problems? Do you see how the D3 "best cover" guy at Syracuse is doing for their defense? Have you watched Syracuse play defense this year? You have to be able to see the justification
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Any and all lottery tickets will do at this point. If he isn't an improvement at the position no harm, no foul. At least one of the goals against scored this year was a "DIII shot" from a Graduate transfer that found his way to Michigan. Shots are shots and our #1 LSM is actually playing pretty well and he hadn't played organized lacrosse in basically 4 years, lord knows how often he picked up a stick during that time so I wouldn't be too worried about the time off. Some guys can just play, we'll see if this kid can.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Not only that, I presume an Amherst transfer does not burn a chit with Admissions.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

courtdog wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:12 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:55 pm
Weird post
What's weird about it? JHU thinks a D3 goalie is the answer to their problems? Do you see how the D3 "best cover" guy at Syracuse is doing for their defense? Have you watched Syracuse play defense this year? You have to be able to see the justification
Super weird. Nobody said or even implied he will be the "answer to our problems" or what will get us "back to the top." I'm also not sure Dino is laughing considering he took in a transfer from Amherst this year too.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

tiffany took in a guy from merrimack. maybe he was encouraged by a guy named curry from gettysburg. or lisicky from lynchburg.

none of those lower level guys can play. better to salivate over h.s. sophs now that you can't do it with frosh.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Wait a minute...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Milliman wrote:Following high school, he attended Gettysburg College where he was a three-time Division III All-America and three-time All-Centennial Conference pick.
This is the problem right here! This guy is the one warming up the goalies every game and he's only showing them DIII shots!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”