UNC 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

Re: UNC 2021

Post by molo »

Gray is naturally on IL’s first team midseason AA list. The whole first midfield was honored although I would have had Anderson higher than HM. Bowen deservedly named first team as well.
Oak St

Post by Oak St »

Dominate win to get the confidence back. Kreig with another 13 save performance, over 60%.

Think Tucci won 12 in a row at one point

Cuse D really bad. Potential to not get a bid b/c of it.

Go Heels !!
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Another really impressive outing from the midfielders against Notre Dame. Henry Schertzinger has one incredibly quick first step.
molo

Post by molo »

Right now it’s hard to determine whether UNC or Duke is number one. Impressive win today.
bananas

Post by bananas »

molo wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:29 pm Right now it’s hard to determine whether UNC or Duke is number one. Impressive win today.
UNC. Winning without assistance from equipment and official calls. Duke could have four ACC losses.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Difficult to parse. UNC passes the eye test more and has best offense in the country to me; Duke could and maybe should have lost all of their games. However Duke has no clear weaknesses and while the UNC defense is getting better I do still have some questions. I think it’s a weakness.

Next week should tell more
maddog9718

Post by maddog9718 »

Goalie, face off, and defense were all solid. Two really good team wins in a row. Hope they can make it three.

ND is really good. It didn't feel like any of UNC's goals came easy.
bananas

Post by bananas »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:40 am Difficult to parse. UNC passes the eye test more and has best offense in the country to me; Duke could and maybe should have lost all of their games. However Duke has no clear weaknesses and while the UNC defense is getting better I do still have some questions. I think it’s a weakness.

UNC has the best offense in game and ND has the best team defense Duke defense is no better than UNC . Duke has Naso and plays slower. Harris is a help defender , not a true shutdown defender ie Kielty or Bowen and the rest of their defensive personnel at close, lsm and dm is average. Looking forward to next matchup and will be taking UNC.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

bananas wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:09 pm
jrn19 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:40 am Difficult to parse. UNC passes the eye test more and has best offense in the country to me; Duke could and maybe should have lost all of their games. However Duke has no clear weaknesses and while the UNC defense is getting better I do still have some questions. I think it’s a weakness.

UNC has the best offense in game and ND has the best team defense Duke defense is no better than UNC . Duke has Naso and plays slower. Harris is a help defender , not a true shutdown defender ie Kielty or Bowen and the rest of their defensive personnel at close, lsm and dm is average. Looking forward to next matchup and will be taking UNC.
Bowen isn’t a shutdown defender either. UNC didn’t even put him on Sowers in the first game; they put Macri on him. Bowen might be the best defender in America but it’s because he’s a freaking vacuum off the ground and an utter monster in the middle of the field and in transition because he’s the best athlete on the field
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

Recent article about Graham Harden, captain of the undefeated '91 national championship team and Schmeisser Award winner, who continues to inspire through his battle with ALS: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports ... s1KdTDIoP8.
Finish Strong
bradensa

Post by bradensa »

What a great win for UNC over Duke yesterday. UNC continues to shine with its balanced effort across the entire team led by Chris Gray and Justin Anderson. The 2nd midfielder line continues to add tremendous offensive value. These guys are firing on all cylinders.

Great work by the defense as well. The best defense was our 2nd quarter barrage of winning face offs and ground balls. Macri, Bowen, and team are continually improving. We also know our next area of opportunity - protecting off-ball movement above the crease while the ball’s at X.

UNC made a strong argument to be the #1 seed in the national tournament. They’ve clearly outperformed Duke despite their matching ACC record. UNC’s combined margin of victory in its ACC wins is 20 goals while Duke’s is 4 with four only-1-goal wins. At the same time, UNC’s 2 losses have come from a total of 3 goals, while Duke has lost by a total of 8 goals in an equal number of losses.

Maryland is clearly the wild card when it comes to seeding. It’s hard to argue that they’ve played anyone substantial, opting for a conference-only schedule in a clearly weaker conference than that of the ACC. And while the selection committee likely doesn’t consider near-losses, Maryland’s narrow escape of the losing Hopkins should be recognized appropriately relative to UNC’s outperformance.
TAV

Post by TAV »

bradensa wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:20 am What a great win for UNC over Duke yesterday. UNC continues to shine with its balanced effort across the entire team led by Chris Gray and Justin Anderson. The 2nd midfielder line continues to add tremendous offensive value. These guys are firing on all cylinders.

Great work by the defense as well. The best defense was our 2nd quarter barrage of winning face offs and ground balls. Macri, Bowen, and team are continually improving. We also know our next area of opportunity - protecting off-ball movement above the crease while the ball’s at X.

UNC made a strong argument to be the #1 seed in the national tournament. They’ve clearly outperformed Duke despite their matching ACC record. UNC’s combined margin of victory in its ACC wins is 20 goals while Duke’s is 4 with four only-1-goal wins. At the same time, UNC’s 2 losses have come from a total of 3 goals, while Duke has lost by a total of 8 goals in an equal number of losses.

Maryland is clearly the wild card when it comes to seeding. It’s hard to argue that they’ve played anyone substantial, opting for a conference-only schedule in a clearly weaker conference than that of the ACC. And while the selection committee likely doesn’t consider near-losses, Maryland’s narrow escape of the losing Hopkins should be recognized appropriately relative to UNC’s outperformance.
+1
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

bradensa wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:20 am What a great win for UNC over Duke yesterday. UNC continues to shine with its balanced effort across the entire team led by Chris Gray and Justin Anderson. The 2nd midfielder line continues to add tremendous offensive value. These guys are firing on all cylinders.

I mean, UNC has a 2 goal win over a bad High Point team. Every team has close wins or "near-losses" on their resume.

Nonetheless, no, the NCAA doesn't consider the score of your W-L's, just the W-L's
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Colin Krieg has completely surpassed any of my expectations for him over the course of this season. The freshman plays with the grit and poise of a seasoned veteran, and now I completely understand why Caton Johnson just decided to transfer instead of trying to win the starting spot back - Krieg is a beast!

Seeing him shut down fellow freshman Brennan O'Neill (who everyone totally gushes over) right on the crease 2-3 times bodes well for us against the dookies in the coming years.
maddog9718

Post by maddog9718 »

10 10 2 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:17 pm Colin Krieg has completely surpassed any of my expectations for him over the course of this season.
+1

I wasn’t sold early in the season, but it seems he brings his best performances in the biggest games.

One guy who caught my eye against duke was Lance Tillman. He’s gotten bigger, and he’s got some wheels. He should be on the first mid line next year.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Here’s what I’m showing for Chris Gray,
he just passed 300 pts,
Chris Gray Boston University/UNC 2018–
53 games 146 goals 155 assists 301 point 5.68 ppg
That’s up there with the greats,
at least in points per game.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Carolina earns the #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament and is in a great position to make it to the final four, needing to beat Monmouth and the winner of Lehigh/Rutgers.
maddog9718

Post by maddog9718 »

Congrats to Chris Gray, ACC Offensive POY

https://twitter.com/UNCMensLacrosse/sta ... 6609387520
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

So if Chris Gray returns (he has another year I believe), he’s going to blow by the scoring record I think. By my calculation he’s up to 314pts (151,163) through today. Thompson holds record at 400 flat. You never know but even whatever he gets this year in at least one more game and 14+ next year he needs 86 in min 15 games which isn’t easy but an avg of around 5.6/Gm where he’s over 5/Gm for his career. And I suspect he plays assuming Health closer to 20 more games between this year and next.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

Any word on Tanner Cook's anticipated return? My hope is that Breschi was resting him vs. Monmouth and that he'll be back next weekend. The Heels will need him if they're going to make a deep run that culminates on Memorial Day.
Finish Strong

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”