FanLax Forum Poll

D3 Mens Lacrosse
MrLax2U

Re: FanLax Forum Poll

Post by MrLax2U »

Gettysburg / Dickinson Game? I was not able to watch it, tried to follow on twitter, so I have no idea there even was a bench penalty. If it was on the Bullets I'm sure Coach J will clean that up he doesn't tolerate that type of antic very much.
Sorry, Laxdds;
I was referring to the Salisbury/CNU game.
I have to believe the Bullets should be in the 9-12 range.
Probably in with OWU and Denison due to their schedules. All three excellent schools, teams, coaches, conferences and traditions. Probably have to adjust when NESCAC starts playing.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

D3 MEN: FanLax Forum Poll (04/05/21)

https://fanlax.com/2021/04/05/d3-men-fa ... -04-05-21/
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Matnum, I didn't see my Poll #s.
Were my rankings that far off consensus?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Forum Polls due on Monday at noon...
Caddy Day
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Big news is start of NESCAC. Tufts looked impressive. Several mid-west schools are stepping up besides Big Red and the Bishops. Good for the sport and they’ll only get better. After a masterful performance against CNU Berkman’s Boys devolved into an offensive hot dog contest against SMCM.

1. RIT Uneasy lies the crown
2. York 9 – 0 Knocking on the door.
3. Gulls 8 – 1 Hot dog contest or team?
4. Tufts In a perfect world Tufts would play Ivy Lax; and they’d be upper tier.
5. Cabrini Defending NC
6. HSC 8 – 1 Rotan runs table until LYN May 1.
7. LYN Beat the Gulls
8. SJF 7 – 3 Are they better than the NESCAC runner up?
9. Stevenson Former NC; Eastern took them to OT.
10. CNU 6 – 3 Puncher’s chance; great coach on his way to D 1. Play the Gulls 2 maybe 3 times more.
11. Tie: Big Red and
12. OWU Before Covid Big Red was my choice for at least the semis.
13. Ill. Wesleyan 8 – 1 Iannucci’s gun slingers can run with anyone
14. Tie: Baldwin Wallace 8 – 1 and
15. John Carroll 8 – 1
16. Tie: Centre 8 – 1
17. Colorado College 7 – 2. Took down CNU
18. Grove City 5 – 1 Avenged their loss to Saint Vincent
19. SUNY Maritime 3 - 0 Expect them to represent the Skyline in the Dance come May.
VALaxfan1

Post by VALaxfan1 »

MrLax2U wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:55 pm Berkman’s Boys devolved into an offensive hot dog contest against SMCM.
Not sure this is a fair comment MrLax - and not sure who exactly you're talking about.
overandback

Post by overandback »

MrLax2U wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:55 pm Big news is start of NESCAC. Tufts looked impressive. Several mid-west schools are stepping up besides Big Red and the Bishops. Good for the sport and they’ll only get better. After a masterful performance against CNU Berkman’s Boys devolved into an offensive hot dog contest against SMCM.

1. RIT Uneasy lies the crown
2. York 9 – 0 Knocking on the door.
3. Gulls 8 – 1 Hot dog contest or team?
4. Tufts In a perfect world Tufts would play Ivy Lax; and they’d be upper tier.
5. Cabrini Defending NC
6. HSC 8 – 1 Rotan runs table until LYN May 1.
7. LYN Beat the Gulls
8. SJF 7 – 3 Are they better than the NESCAC runner up?
9. Stevenson Former NC; Eastern took them to OT.
10. CNU 6 – 3 Puncher’s chance; great coach on his way to D 1. Play the Gulls 2 maybe 3 times more.
11. Tie: Big Red and
12. OWU Before Covid Big Red was my choice for at least the semis.
13. Ill. Wesleyan 8 – 1 Iannucci’s gun slingers can run with anyone
14. Tie: Baldwin Wallace 8 – 1 and
15. John Carroll 8 – 1
16. Tie: Centre 8 – 1
17. Colorado College 7 – 2. Took down CNU
18. Grove City 5 – 1 Avenged their loss to Saint Vincent
19. SUNY Maritime 3 - 0 Expect them to represent the Skyline in the Dance come May.
You are not welcome at Centennial Conference tailgates....should there be any this season.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:53 pm Forum Polls due on Monday at noon...
Could you provide a link each Sunday? I can't ever seem to find it on the site.

Thx
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

You are not welcome at Centennial Conference tailgates....should there be any this season.
And I wanna be there. Whatda youse guys soive? The NESCAC nabobs lay out smoked salmon while the blue collar Gulls serve hot dogs and beans.

Centennial I'm guessing pulled pork and fried scrapple sandwiches with potato salad (Amish, egg, Philly and German) sides. Put a little Old Bay into your pickle juice and I'll have Bullets, Sho'men and Dickinson #s 1, 2 and 3 on my Poll.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Unknown Participant wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:56 pm you provide a link each Sunday? I can't ever seem to find it on the site.
https://fanlax.com/2020/01/30/fanlax-forum-polls/
Caddy Day
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

MrLax2U wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:35 pm
And I wanna be there. Whatda youse guys soive? The NESCAC nabobs lay out smoked salmon while the blue collar Gulls serve hot dogs and beans.

Centennial I'm guessing pulled pork and fried scrapple sandwiches with potato salad (Amish, egg, Philly and German) sides. Put a little Old Bay into your pickle juice and I'll have Bullets, Sho'men and Dickinson #s 1, 2 and 3 on my Poll.
MrLax, I am with you 1-8 although I might make a few minor adjustments... 9-the rest it seems as though you have been tailgating to much already. :D We in the Centennial have fantastic tailgates that our brilliant leadership says we can't attend, but I assure you they are awesome!
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

MrLax, I am with you 1-8 although I might make a few minor adjustments... 9-the rest it seems as though you have been tailgating to much already.
Greetings Laxdds, You're right and apologies; I should have ranked Gettysburg representing the Centennial ahead of Stevenson. I was thinking about a Stevenson/Cabrini rematch in the playoffs like several years ago when the two coaches earned something like 12 bench penalties in their game: and the Bullets slipped from my attention.

The real insult is that Coach J is not in the Lacrosse HoF. One of his men is doing a credible job playing for Syracuse and another is coaching @JHU. His coaching tree (including the one running through his former protege, Jim Berkman) is without equal.

Speaking of JHU, When the Milliman hire was announced I thought it was a first tentative step to the varsity lax programs rejoining their other sports in the Centennial. Now that would cause some waves in D3 lax.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

MrLax2U wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:15 am Speaking of JHU, When the Milliman hire was announced I thought it was a first tentative step to the varsity lax programs rejoining their other sports in the Centennial. Now that would cause some waves in D3 lax.
Recently there was a quip on Twitter from one of the talking heads of lacrosse that is DIII heavy on that platform. He said something to the effect of “Hobart and Hopkins, you’re DIII schools... Come home..”

I don’t see it happening, and I don’t know what sort of paperwork mess it would entail for those on scholarships etc, but it’s fun to dream. And it would be awesome.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

D3 MEN: FanLax Forum Poll (04/12/21)

https://fanlax.com/2021/04/12/d3-men-fa ... -04-12-21/
Caddy Day
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:02 pm D3 MEN: FanLax Forum Poll (04/12/21)

https://fanlax.com/2021/04/12/d3-men-fa ... -04-12-21/
I did mine, did it not come through? Here it is:

Tufts
RIT
Salisbury
Lynchburg
Cabrini
York
Gettysburg
Ursinus
Union
St John Fisher
St Lawrence
Stevenson
Williams
Colorado
Denison
Christopher Newport
Franklin and Marshall
Wesleyan
Stevens
Ithaca
Hampden-Sydney
Cortland
Wash & Lee
Endicott
Clarkson
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Unknown Participant wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:24 pm I did mine, did it not come through?
Look further down the page. It's there.
Caddy Day
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Recently there was a quip on Twitter from one of the talking heads of lacrosse that is DIII heavy on that platform. He said something to the effect of “Hobart and Hopkins, you’re DIII schools... Come home..”

I don’t see it happening, and I don’t know what sort of paperwork mess it would entail for those on scholarships etc, but it’s fun to dream. And it would be awesome.
In size, tradition, records etc. Hobart is D 3 and several years ago their President announced they were returning there. Alumni pressure forced him to back off I think b/c they wanted to keep their rivalries with Syracuse and Cornell and the NCAA doesn't currently allow inter division games. Under their deal with the NCAA I don't think Hobart is allowed to give lax scholarships. Maybe one of the Hobart alums on this board can fill us in.

Hopkins does give lax scholarships so they'd have to negotiate a transition with the NCAA. The way undergraduate admissions are trending at Hopkins they could as easily devolve into an MIT like lax program as become a powerhouse supplanting Salisbury.

Given their stellar graduate programs (Intl Affairs, Health/medical complex, APL etc.) Hopkins could phase out undergraduate study altogether like Rockefeller University in NYC and concentrate on its strengths. Not a crazy idea and I'd bet $s to donuts Mike Bloomberg has given it some thought.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

MrLax2U wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:03 pm

In size, tradition, records etc. Hobart is D 3 and several years ago their President announced they were returning there. Alumni pressure forced him to back off I think b/c they wanted to keep their rivalries with Syracuse and Cornell and the NCAA doesn't currently allow inter division games. Under their deal with the NCAA I don't think Hobart is allowed to give lax scholarships. Maybe one of the Hobart alums on this board can fill us in.
You're correct- unlike Hopkins in lax and a few other for hockey (Clarkson, Union, St Lawrence) that were grandfathered in and are allowed to give athletic scholarships- Hobart can only give financial aid.
richard

Post by richard »

Hobart and Hopkins will never go d3. Hobart alumni were adamant about it the last time around. Hopkins would go all d1 before having lax go d3. SLU, RPI, Colorado College, and Clarkson would probably all have gone D1 in everything to protect their hockey programs. I don’t blame them, it makes the schools unique.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Hi Richard, I've enjoyed reading your informative posts over the years and hope you start weighing in on the D 3 weekly Poll. I pulled the following off the Hopkins 2021 thread on the D 1 Forum.
GSP » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:55 pm
Reading the comments the last few weeks, as the losses pile up, one gets the distinct impression that long-time Hopkins loyalists are experiencing an ever increasing sense of inescapable post-empire malaise. The signs that everything is crashing down and the tradition is no longer salvageable are unmistakable. Recruiting is probably past the point of no return and the coaching staff has begun the process of eating its young.

The entrenched President and his minions, despite paying uninspired lip service to generate donations from long-term alumni, are at the very least totally uninterested in lacrosse as a D1 sport. In their heart of hearts, they pine for the day that the last vestiges of "lacrosse school" identity no longer impinge on their insatiable desire to be considered equal to the Ivies in academic reputation. You guys care far more about the program than they do or ever did. They come from a far different intellectual place and feel neither sense of pride nor even connection to the long and vaunted tradition of Hopkins lacrosse. As an outside observer, what is happening to Hop lacrosse reminds me of the scene in the movie "Tropic Thunder," where Tom Cruise elects to justify his jettonising of his formerly high-grossing star Ben Stiller who played Scorcher by saying the "The kids just aren't dressing up as Scorcher for Purim anymore." That is how Daniels sees Hopkins lacrosse.

Unless Hopkins experiences either a significant housecleaning in the upper levels of control or a forceful directive from Mike Bloomberg, the program will move to D3 within 5 years. I feel very badly for you guys!. You deserve far better!
I agree with you JHU would go all D 1 IF they got admitted to the Ivy League. Other than that I stand by MIT type D 3 or all graduate programs like Rockefeller University.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”