Salisbury vs CNU

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Dehuntshigwa’es

Salisbury vs CNU

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Anyone getting the sense the Gulls will be in an ugly mood for this game. Lynchburg beats Salisbury then loses to CNU( don’t care they won the second game) maybe a statement game coming from Salisbury. I just think they are do and may hit on all cylinders. Taking Gulls plus 8
Maggsedge

Re: Salisbury vs CNU

Post by Maggsedge »

If CNU offense looks the same way they did against lynchburg in game #2 I’m taking the Gulls by 8 as well!
Laxaholic123

Post by Laxaholic123 »

I don’t see CNU winning a single faceoff this game if Malamphy is playing. Hard to win a game if you aren’t getting any possession off the X. I wouldn’t bet against Salisbury by 8
2laxers

Post by 2laxers »

Salisbury by 8 doesn't seem hard to imagine. Lynchburg won by 7 with a late CNU goal and had 23 TOs. CNU goalie also had a great night with 17 saves.
Pinchnpop

Post by Pinchnpop »

Double dog dare ya! Salisbury by 16!
Wall Ball

Post by Wall Ball »

CNU has a good D, but when you don’t get a chance to rest, because you can’t win a FO. It will be tough. This is a bounce back game for the Captains. They need to keep it within 3 to keep their rankings and be taken seriously.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

CNU has a good D
In the past CNU (and others) have used a zone to good effect against the Gulls. Expect Coach Thompson to alternate M2M and a tight Zone to throw off the Gull offense. If Brom et al spend the day firing their cannons at the CNU goalie, who will step up to save the day? Like Ferrara and Moroney did last year against Stevens.

Sandlin and Leeds have the Defense firing on all cylinders and the Gull fogos are doing their jobs.

Expect another exciting game in this growing rivalry.
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

Gulls are playing well, but I'm not sure how much stock I am putting into CNU's last game. Without a doubt, the worst game CNU has played all year. Like the Gulls after Lynchburg, I think CNU learned a lot from their loss and will bounce back. With that being said, this is not the same Salisbury team that stumbled against Lynchburg in their first game of the year.

CNU going 3-20 at the dot isn't going to cut it against arguably the top face-off unit in D3. I'm curious if Coach Thompson plans to throw 2 poles on the wings? An extra pole could make it more of a dog fight out here for Malamphy and the gang and possibly slow down the great wing play we see from Woodward, Murphy, and freshman standout DeFazio. Maybe throw the shorty on Moroney and slide into a zone if the draw is conceded.

I'm really looking forward to Salisbury's defense and as mentioned they appear to be hitting on all cylinders. However, I hope Kness & Greik suit up on Saturday. Kness hasn't played since Colorado College (3/21) and Greik since Cabrini (3/19). Fortunately, the gulls are deep, but both guys are without a doubt starters on an already solid defensive unit.

The real question mark for me has to be the Gulls offense vs. CNU's defense and keeper. Which unit for the Gulls will show up? Even in some of their wins, the Gulls offense didn't appear to be in sync. Take the Cabrini game. 11 goals on 50 shots, 24 of those 50 were saves... CNU's keeper made 17 saves in their loss vs. Lynchburg. Without a doubt, the last 3 games have looked (game tape) and appeared (stat line) better, but the quality of the opponent was not the same either. I think the offense has done a much better job with spacing and banging the ball around rather than carrying without a specific purpose. Saturday should be a good test.

When it is all said and done, I'm going Gulls 12-7
VALaxfan1

Post by VALaxfan1 »

Been watching the SU games and they seem to getting a lot better about moving the ball and not letting the D get comfortable. If the Gulls keep working on the offensive chemistry, they'll be a favorite.
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

Some questionable calls by the refs - Halftime 15-7 Gulls
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

21 after 3 quarters..against a fine CNU defense who held LYN to 22 in 8 quarters..
2021 championship runs through Berkmans seagulls!
Wall Ball

Post by Wall Ball »

This is one sided. Berkman still holds a grudge from 2014 Captains upset of the Gulls in Newport News. Captains came close in 2018 in the tourney but ended up losing a barn burner.
Pinchnpop

Post by Pinchnpop »

Pinchnpop wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:57 pm Double dog dare ya! Salisbury by 16!
Sorry, off a few
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:48 pm Anyone getting the sense the Gulls will be in an ugly mood for this game. Lynchburg beats Salisbury then loses to CNU( don’t care they won the second game) maybe a statement game coming from Salisbury. I just think they are do and may hit on all cylinders.
You nailed it - CNU has some legit poles at close/LSM - This SU offense seems to be taking big steps in the right direction week after week - The play-by-play guys brought it up during the game, but it's exciting to see how many weapons they have out there and the chemistry seems to be improving week to week.

Defense was solid as expected - Take away the self inflicted penalties (along w/ some questionable calls by the refs) and I think CNU is held to single digit scoring. Props to the freshman John DeFazio. He's been solid with Murphy filling in at close - Defazio has been fun to watch play - kid is fast and plays good fundamental D.

Keep it rolling boys !!
jusreLaxin

Post by jusreLaxin »

Salisbury is being Lynchburg(ed) by St Mary's!

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”