Should you be allowed a time out in overtime?

D1 Mens Lacrosse

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 26

AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Duke/Carolina game went to OT. Each team had a few minutes btw end of regulation and OT plan. So what does Duke do win the FO and then calls a TO.

Why should be able to take a TO. You have 80 seconds to sub-on player and get shot.

I don’t think it should be allowed and if you are going to allow it then make the team take a shot first.
flyerfan17

Re: Should you be allowed a time out in overtime?

Post by flyerfan17 »

Guessing this will come out close to 50/50, seems like HS it's an automatic TO but in college not so much. Was a little surprised by it last night but Duke wasn't so good with the ball in clears and mayhem situations so I'm assuming it was predetermined
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Just like in basketball, there are timeouts to retain possession.

Another possible situation: you win the FO, but one of your guys gets hurt. Instead of playing 5 on 6 offense and burning up valuable shot clock time, you call time out.

Most cases, it’s strategy. There is no more important time in the game than that moment.

And for some coaches, their job might hinge on whether your 18-22 year olds perform in the next minute or two.

There is nothing wrong with calming them down and getting everyone to execute the next play.

Nothing wrong here. Unless your team lost. Boohoo.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

The NFL's adoption of new OT rules (can't win on a FG on your first possession) could be an interesting modification but for TOs in OT. Can't call one on your first possession (both teams) but can thereafter.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Wheels wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:44 pm The NFL's adoption of new OT rules (can't win on a FG on your first possession) could be an interesting modification but for TOs in OT. Can't call one on your first possession (both teams) but can thereafter.
i think once you get into changing rules like timeouts for on field play in only certain circumstances it's a bit of a mess.

doesn't mean you can't limit timeouts. one would be if you have any timeouts left, you can carry one over.

another could be just one timeout for all of the overtimes, and extend the ot to 6 minutes.

i had to be somewhere when the uva umd 6 ot game was going on. timeouts as soon as it got in the box for both sides. game went on for 3 hours and someone (don't remember who) was very unhappy with my tardiness.
smoova

Post by smoova »

No - IMO, fewer opportunities for coaches to interrupt the flow of the game and play puppet-master is always better.
spartanslynx

Post by spartanslynx »

No - and pro lacrosse har already taken this step
molo

Post by molo »

As a player who was a complete backup most of the time and a coach who was a bit of a control freak, I say no. It’s easy enough to sub without a TO. I would be in favor of fewer TOs in general.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”