Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by jhu06 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:15 am Given the circumstances, Pete has done a good job with this squad. He is tinkering and trying to find the best way to execute JGJ's offense with the personnel he has. This personnel was clearly not born to run this style of offense.

A few random thoughts on yesterday:

How many times was Epstein going to take a low angle shot and hit the goalie right in the chest/gut? Regardless of JGJ's style, Epstein seems to be underperforming (in relation to all the hype over him coming out of Landon). I have watched them play 2-3 times this year and he looks like just another guy.

Kirson was solid low, but that could also be a result of how much he drops low on nearly every shot. He has good hands and attacks the ball well. It is frustrating to watch an accomplished goalie essentially concede the top third of the cage on every shot. If the coaching staff isn't recognizing this on film, it is negligent on their part. If I am an opponent, I am dropping my stick to my hip or three quarters and shooting high every time.
he needs to spend the next 5 weeks giving the freshmen and sophomores he feels might be of use in 2022/23 every rep and game opportunity to see if they're worth keeping around long term. that's not quitting, it's investing in the future.

In addition to the srs moving on feels like we'll have a ton of turnover again and the question starts to become what transfers we can bring in who better fit what Milliman is trying to do.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Flipping this roster (if that is what everyone thinks is necessary) will take time. You can do it in college basketball in one year (see Arkansas this year), but college lacrosse is a different beast. With the size of the roster and early recruiting, it takes time to get it turned over. You can bring in transfers to fit your scheme, but without their full compliment of eligibility that would be more of a band aid approach. Really, Pete needs 3-4 years. I doubt the Hop alums will allow for that though...
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

There is a delicate balance between needing to put a competitive team on the field now that isn't embarrassing while also wanting to think about the future. He can't just start all freshmen or new guys because we'd lose every game badly, including to Michigan, and that would be awful for morale in and around the program. So he has to try to put the best team possible on the field at the same time as evaluating what he'll have next year and in the future. It's not easy and it's not an enviable position—taking over programs, especially one with the tradition and expectations of Hopkins, is difficult.

06's suggestion that he bench DeSo, Reinson, and Williams—inarguably three of our best players—is mindblowingly glib. Obviously that is not going to happen, they're part of the core of the team. But what you can do is experiment around them, on the margins, in other roles where there is less certainty. Play with the midfield rotations, try out a younger goalie, give the freshman FOGO some chances when the two veterans are both struggling, mix a Scott Smith in with McManus and Szuluk at 3rd D/LSM, etc. He's done a little bit of that but I would expect to probably see some more of that over the second half of the season.

At 2-4, we would need to go 4-0 over the remainder of the regular season to ensure we finish at least .500 and even qualify for an at-large bid. Even 3-1 would put us at 5-5 which would mean we'd need to win at least one B1G Tourney game to be eligible. There are really only two ways to make the NCAAs and both are extremely unlikely: Go 4-0 now (to finish 6-4 and with wins over Maryland and Rutgers, we'd be in the conversation), OR go 3-0 later, starting May 1, to win the conference tournament. Point being: You certainly don't have to "give up" on this season, but the more important thing is to build a foundation for the next year and the following years. The staff might not have the exact personnel they want but things like team culture can carry over even as the players on the field change. There are good players in the sophomore and freshmen classes that are going to be at Homewood for several more years.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

These seniors are 4-9 in their last 12 HF16. I think Harrisons group lost 6 games in 4 years. These are not Johns Hopkins Lacrosse quality players even with how low the bar has been raised the last few years. I'd rather win 1 game the rest of the year w/younger kids and use it as a spring board the next few years than watch Epstein play catch with a goalie or zinn throw the ball out of bounds or watch baskin basically do nothing.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:01 am These seniors are 4-9 in their last 12 HF16. I think Harrisons group lost 6 games in 4 years. These are not Johns Hopkins Lacrosse quality players even with how low the bar has been raised the last few years. I'd rather win 1 game the rest of the year w/younger kids and use it as a spring board the next few years than watch Epstein play catch with a goalie or zinn throw the ball out of bounds or watch baskin basically do nothing.
You're so boring
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:04 am
jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:01 am These seniors are 4-9 in their last 12 HF16. I think Harrisons group lost 6 games in 4 years. These are not Johns Hopkins Lacrosse quality players even with how low the bar has been raised the last few years. I'd rather win 1 game the rest of the year w/younger kids and use it as a spring board the next few years than watch Epstein play catch with a goalie or zinn throw the ball out of bounds or watch baskin basically do nothing.
You're so boring
so is losing the same way for 15 years.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I found the problem:

Hopkins Stuck
Hopkins Stuck
E6D1F05C-523F-4449-844A-5A81F5FE5472.jpeg (44.03 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

As a Terps fan, I would absolutely welcome Epstein or Zinn as a transfer to our program.

Assuming that helps your cause out of course.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:04 am
You're so boring
That should be last 13.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

PulpExposure wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:15 pm
As a Terps fan, I would absolutely welcome Epstein or Zinn as a transfer to our program.

Assuming that helps your cause out of course.
:D
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

One of your better ones Wombat
Can't quit on the season or the seniors who are contributing
For all the thoughts that switching Williams to attack had to be done - they just tied their worst offensive output for the season.

If there are games that slip out of control one way or another - I am all for putting younger players in for some time before complete complete last 2 minutes mop up
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

:roll: :?

That is ridiculous.

I’m all for investing in young and developing players by giving them some playing time, but you don’t give up on a season or even a game ... ever. The Blue Jays will unquestionably be in the B1G tournament. That means they can win the league title and earn an AQ to the NCAA tournament. Until that last whistle blows, Coach Milliman and his team should be aiming to do just that.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

It is difficult to have "patience", but this will be a journey to get back to teams that are in competition for a NC every year. Not going to happen with an addition of a few players here and there. To be in NC competition again will be be difficult. I believe that these Coaches have a Plan, and former JHU players are not as anxious as many of you are. (they stay in contact and have "chat" emails, with as many as a 100 former players on just one site). They cite "lessons" from former Coaches on "basics. They are encouraged, knowledgeable, and support these Players and Coaches. Progress is being made.

I know many of you believe the stories of a few really "great" players that carried some historically great JHU teams, BUT those players were surrounded by really "good" players. who played as a Team, with great fundamentals. It takes a while for that to develop.

On this site you get the occasional know-it-all, who will recount some good game that they once played. So what!

At Hopkins, the goal is consistent excellence in the Game, year after year. That is not easy to do. Give it time. Practice after practice after practice, Drill after drill after drill. It will happen. Progress :)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Williams is who he is, a good player who will get you a few point every game, but he's been essentially just as productive coming out of the box as he was starting at attack. The difference is his shooting percentage has jumped quite a bit as a midfielder—36% this year (third best on the team behind DeSimone and Degnon) vs. 25% for his career prior to this. He deserves a lot of credit but that is mostly due to the position switch allowing him to pick his spots instead of forcing the issue when he was an attackman. I get putting him back on attack following Grimes' shooting struggles but Williams at midfield was the correct move IMO. Let Grimes shoot through it, or put Degnon down there—probably the team's best shooter right now, it's not rocket science to suggest maybe he should be shooting it more. Reminder that Chauvette who was competing with Grimes to start has been injured—no clue about his status moving forward. Angelus, McDermott, and Keogh can all play attack in a heartbeat but then you have no lefties.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:24 am I found the problem:

E6D1F05C-523F-4449-844A-5A81F5FE5472.jpeg
You’re going to need a bigger boat.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

the 4-9 veterans
williams has 14 points and 12 turnovers. His offensive teammates
Baskin 3 pts 2 turnovers 1 penalty,
angelous 10 pts 8 turnovers shooting 20 percent
keogh 10 pts 5 turnovers shooting 25 percent
zinn 2 pts 8 turnovers shooting 9 pecent
we're not winning with these guys.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:18 pm the 4-9 veterans
Where'd Epstein go? Two seconds ago he was on your list of worthless players who should be cut
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HF16 you are what your record says you are and over the last 13 games the veterans on this roster have shown they can't seize opportunities to put teams away like yesterday when penn state had a number of turnovers, can't stop runs like the ones the terps had a few weeks ago and rutgers went on and can't consistently make winning plays. Milliman has the freedom and job security of a long term contract and it's time to put that to use now rather than in the fall by seeing who else he has on the roster. Baskin, zinn, angelus, williams, keogh. These are not winning players. Not with the coach that recruited them, not with the coach that inherited them. There is no short, medium or long term interest of the program in playing these guys and probably a few others on the defensive end who I've left off because it's hard to read that from tv. They don't win, they've been given enough of a shot, let's see what mcdermott has. Let's see what grimes does when he's not on a field w/5 seniors he might be defferring to. Let's see if Pleshko or any of these other guys down the roster might have something.

The goalie situation is another matter.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:18 pm the 4-9 veterans
Well, sure...but did you really expect dramatically different performance?
Reduced practices aren't exactly a formula for dramatic positive change.

I'd be looking 4-5 years out. I'm not surprised to hear from Chitown above that such is the attitude of most Hop alums.

Now, I made the same case when UVA changed out its coaching staff... and then the new staff beat my timeline by quite a bit, so it's certainly possible that a breakthrough could happen sooner...but that's not where the odds are.

ok, so I read above that what you're advocating is to let younger guys play, regardless of outcome, team competitiveness, etc...let'em grow. I'd bet we'll see continued experimentation, but it's not as if they're going to tell the seniors to pack their bags...that'd be a terrible culture setter.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Pleshko
jhu06 wrote:Peschko
jhu06 wrote:Pescko
The only interesting thing about your posts is seeing what fun new way you will misspell Peshko this time. It's not a super hard name.

If you don't see any short, medium, or longterm interest in playing a kid like Angelus then you know absolutely nothing about the sport of lacrosse, but I think most of us already understand that.

Williams not a "winning" player is just more meaningless drivel. Setting aside the fact that it's a deeply flawed premise, I'm not even sure it's true by your definition—Williams was instrumental in the 2018 season and Big Ten championship win which was probably our second best season since 2008. 5 goals against Maryland in the conference tourney, 50 pts on the season. He has helped Hopkins win lots of games. Blaming anything on your best players is so dumb that it almost defies belief. The reason Williams has played, and continues to play, is because he's better at lacrosse than the guys who are not playing.

Still waiting to hear what happened to Epstein and his 101 career points through 26 games on your list of players who are unworthy of playing at Homewood.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”