Hobart 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FL-GO

Re: Hobart 2021

Post by FL-GO »

Great to finally have a game to look fwd to this weekend.
Bartman

Post by Bartman »

Is there a game day temperature minimum to play outdoors? Assuming no fans(?),just wondering if I should bring my lawn chair and blanket to watch from Hamilton Street, or settle for the bubble online.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It’s going to be cold out and I believe wet. Wife and I are going to be 2hrs away in Binghamton this weekend and thought about going but a four hour mid trip, round sub trip to stand outside the fence and freeze my wet balls off just didn’t make sense.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:21 pm It’s going to be cold out and I believe wet. Wife and I are going to be 2hrs away in Binghamton this weekend and thought about going but a four hour mid trip, round sub trip to stand outside the fence and freeze my wet balls off just didn’t make sense.
I was watching MSM play someone earlier this year and there was probably 18-24 inches of snow on the ground. One guy standing along the fence behind the goal. He's a real one, and I respect that. But he's also crazy!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Moved south from NYC about 11yrs or so ago but after growing up in upstate NY winter he’ll I got soft in like four seasons living in Georgia. I have become a southern pu**y with respect to cold weather. And fast.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

The older I get the colder I get!
Looks like low 20’s at game time
This one might be a live streaming Saturday!
Likely in the bubble.
Has anyone seen MSM?
I’ve seen bits and pieces , some very good some not.
5 games against good teams under there belts .
Will definitely be a challenge
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

As with most teams, the offense is ahead of the defense at seasons start. This coupled with a number of players being quarantined recently (they are finished with it), places an additional burden on the players. MSM will be ticked. They did score more than any other team has on a solid GTown defense. A slow start won't end well for the Statesmen.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Overheard: Very likely to be in the Bubble and NO non-essential allowed. Also heard we had some live-action scrimmaging with a DIii Rochester team on Monday. I see players around town, always masked up ... I think we have everyone available to play. Saw Barthelme the other day .... he is a giant.
After a full year, one thing I dont expect is a slow start or flat emotions. If this were on the Boz, and people were allowed to attend, it would be a sellout. Everyone in Geneva ( and on campus) wants some fun excitement.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It certainly isn’t helpful being way behind most of our competition in game prep (and ironing out any Covid related kinks). However the flip side is this team has some unfinished business dating back to 2019 and the talent to make the most of this season as it is. They should be fully motivated, Fire in the belly to get over that hump that they’ve been working for.

Still is crazy impressive to read the start of last year, regardless of competition, with wins of 22-8, 26-9 & 21-13. And even after showing up and coming up short at Cuse folks we’re sort of dejected that we “only” beat Binghamton 16-9. Even with the seniors that have left as would’ve been the case anyways a lot of dynamic talent is there and really the best part was probably that they looked well into 3rd line kids like they were a cohesive unit of one most of the season. Really synchronized I thought.

I’m ready for sat.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

As good as the team was on offense last year, it is just that..last year. If this years team thinks they are last years offensive threat, they're mistaken. It is a totally different team, that has yet to play anyone in a real game. So, I'm in a "show me" mode. Until they win a game, it's a blank slate.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Agree with Old Bartman
Lots to look forward to with this team, however losing the likes of Holden, Scott, Delpha.... Would be tough on any squad
To say nothing of Lucchesi
Let’s hope for the best , but they will be way behind MSM
In game readiness.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

In the 80's we played UNC, Hopkins(2x), SU, UVA as first games. All, except SU, had already played 4 games or so. Being a league game with MSM makes it more crucial, but Hobart will be ready to play, imho. Rick Gilbert, Knaus, Darkie, Grimaldis', MarcVan, Gilliam, Miller, etc., etc. -- new pieces will emerge and this year's version will be fine. Personally, I'll hold off on conjecture, speculation and the like until I see the product on the field.
Laxfan1234

Post by Laxfan1234 »

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

FMUBart wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:07 am In the 80's we played UNC, Hopkins(2x), SU, UVA as first games. All, except SU, had already played 4 games or so. Being a league game with MSM makes it more crucial, but Hobart will be ready to play, imho. Rick Gilbert, Knaus, Darkie, Grimaldis', MarcVan, Gilliam, Miller, etc., etc. -- new pieces will emerge and this year's version will be fine. Personally, I'll hold off on conjecture, speculation and the like until I see the product on the field.
I played against those dudes....fun memories
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Noticed no mention of Herlihy, Delaney, Durkin & Durkin. All whom I expected to see some playing, especially Herlihy. Has the injury bug already claimed these and others?
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Every year it seems as though Hobart struggles with injuries. People used to blame the hard indoor surface of the fieldhouse, not sure why it is an ongoing problem these days...
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

No Herlihy = huge loss.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Best of luck to the Statesmen as they open their season tomorrow!
Laxrules10

Post by Laxrules10 »

Herlihy is out with an ACL injury.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Laxrules10 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:46 pm Herlihy is out with an ACL injury.
Heard Romm suffered the same injury.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”