Recruiting Thread: D1-D2-D3-NAIA-MCLA

HS Boys Lacrosse
DQKing

Recruiting Thread: D1-D2-D3-NAIA-MCLA

Post by DQKing »

As there is no real recruiting forum on the site I'm starting this thread in order to create an area where folks can ask questions/discuss the process, give advice etc.

My thought is that every kid's decision is his own and it should be the best fit for him academically, athletically, mentally and socially regardless of what division/level it is. With that in mind I'd like to keep it positive if someone is discussing specifics on a program or similar.

Some general questions to get the ball rolling:
  • Who is more influential: HS coach or club coach?
  • How meaningful are prospect days? Does the level of meaningfullness differ based on division/level?
  • Do coaches look at DOB and understand that some kids mature faster or are a whole year older in some cases?
  • How important is HS game film versus summer film? Does it differ depending on the year of the recruit.

Hopefully this thread gets some traction and can be a good resource for everyone.
Badlands

Re: Recruiting Thread: D1-D2-D3-NAIA-MCLA

Post by Badlands »

OK, I'll jump in. I'm no expert but have been through the process.

Who is more influential: HS coach or club coach?

Was going to say club coach, but I think it depends on who is better known and who has the better relationship with the college coach.

How meaningful are prospect days? Does the level of meaningfullness differ based on division/level?

Can be very meaningful, especially if the kid has narrowed the list down to just a few schools. Has an impact on the coach that you bothered to see the school.

Do coaches look at DOB and understand that some kids mature faster or are a whole year older in some cases?

Don't know. My experience is that coaches want the kids they are looking at to be good enough when they're looking at them. In most cases, they aren't going to advocate for a kid who isn't there yet by saying "but this kid is young for his age or he only started playing last year." Now, if the kid is good enough, those things are bonuses and points that you could make sure the coach knows about.

How important is HS game film versus summer film? Does it differ depending on the year of the recruit.

Use what you have. Anything is better than nothing. If the HS game film is against stronger competition than the summer film and the kid is looking strong, use that. Some kids play in weak HS leagues and their only decent film is summer games.
backerzone

Post by backerzone »

My son went through the grinder- he had 3 coaches in 4 years high school. It was 100% the club contact. I doubt any coach except the locals saw a single minute of his high school games.
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

Some clubs better than others and well connected. The club coach can really help you.
High school matters if you go to a top 10 private school. Look them up.
Showcase and tournaments. There are some very legit ones and others not so much
Good
Under armour all am
Maverik showtime
Adrenaline blackcard
NLF CHAMPIONSHIPS
NAPTOWN
NXT Philly showcase in fall
Inside lacrosse events

Dominate and you will get recruited.
novalax1

Post by novalax1 »

DQKing wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:07 pm As there is no real recruiting forum on the site I'm starting this thread in order to create an area where folks can ask questions/discuss the process, give advice etc.

My thought is that every kid's decision is his own and it should be the best fit for him academically, athletically, mentally and socially regardless of what division/level it is. With that in mind I'd like to keep it positive if someone is discussing specifics on a program or similar.

Some general questions to get the ball rolling:
  • Who is more influential: HS coach or club coach?
  • How meaningful are prospect days? Does the level of meaningfullness differ based on division/level?
  • Do coaches look at DOB and understand that some kids mature faster or are a whole year older in some cases?
  • How important is HS game film versus summer film? Does it differ depending on the year of the recruit.

Hopefully this thread gets some traction and can be a good resource for everyone.
Club coaches are usually more influential in my experience - they see the coaches on the recruiting trail every summer and build relationships specifically to get your son/daughter recruited.

Don't get caught in the hype of PDs... they can be a helpful tool to get on the radar of schools that you're interested in, but it's also a numbers game as it's usually a source of income for assistants. There's nothing wrong with playing more lacrosse though. It is a great way for kids that don't play club ball to get exposure.

Film is film either way. Depending on where you're from geographically, your child's HS film might be significantly better/worse than someone else's. But any film is better than no film, especially in this day and age where many coaches are not able to recruit in person due to COVID restrictions.
DQKing

Post by DQKing »

Next Question:

How serious are tournaments regarding their "Stay To Play" policies?

I'm sure this is another money maker for the tournament but do they enforce this? I have been collecting hotel points for years and would like to use them but looks like this is just another added expense.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I'm sure there are real benefits to be had from these tourneys, including just having the opportunity to play lacrosse, but... Holy crow, these things sound like a money grab.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
smoova

Post by smoova »

DQKing wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:29 am Next Question:

I'm sure this is another money maker for the tournament but do they enforce this? I have been collecting hotel points for years and would like to use them but looks like this is just another added expense.
Short answer: Stay-to-play policies are generally not enforced.

Long answer: I've been gleefully feeding money into the club lacrosse machine for the last 6 years at tournaments/showcases all over the country and the only event that I have ever seen enforce a stay-to-play policy was a 2017 WSYL qualifier where every player was required to book a room through a single agent. There were only ~10 teams in the qualifier so it was easy for the event to cross-check rosters and registrations. Since then, I don't think we have ever stayed in one of the "required" hotels and I have never heard of another event even trying to enforce a stay-to-play policy (even though they all have them).
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

DQKing wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:29 am Next Question:

Many of these tournaments are already struggling to handle the minimum insurance paperwork.
Few if any are enforcing these rules.
And PS- its easier to gain forgiveness than permission.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

With hundred s of players with extended eligibility the first words that come to mind for current recruits are due diligence and caveat emptor. Most teams bring in 10-15 freshman and that class will see about 30 percent attrition by their senior year. Only 16-22 players see the field in most games and in some programs not everyone travels. At least for the next several years recruits will be facing transfers or graduate students taking roster spots. “Would this school be the right fit if lacrosse wasn’t in the equation” is a question you have to be able to answer.
Malty

Post by Malty »

Will tough to navigate for the next 3-4 classes. Everyone in college lacrosse got an extra year of eligibility. That's roughly 2500 D1 players who that could take another year. Add to that D2/D3 studs who might seek a 5th year in D1. Add to that any players in the Ivy league - some players that would have finished this spring will have 2 more years. Add to that HS 2020's that will redshirt this year. With all the 5th years, smaller travel rosters and less games, there will definitely be more redshirts. And probably in 2022 and 2023 too.
LaxFan#2019

Post by LaxFan#2019 »

I remember when we were going through process with both of my boys. With my oldest, we felt chasing tournaments and showcases were key. Are we playing on the right club teams etc…In the end, where you live makes a difference. We started in the Midwest and moved East. Massive difference in exposure at the High School level.

Depending on your commitment and geography, you don’t have to play on a high level club team to get the attention. If you have D1 potential, they will find you. It’s true. My oldest gained interest from all levels except D1. Decided on D3 and looking back, would of went MCLA or D2 if he did it over. My other son had all levels of interest. Top 10 D3 and low level D1. He didn’t play on high level club teams. His exposure came from High School fall ball leagues, special out of season team events and coaching connections. He took his name out of the hat so to speak and the recruiting efforts stopped going into his Senior year. He didn’t have interest playing at the next level.

A few diamonds in the rough get noticed late in their junior and senior year but if you aren’t on the radar, start being honest with yourself and look at the other options. You will always have a team to play on. NCAA D3 and NAIA coaches need to put “heads in the beds” don’t forget that.
A couple of folks bring up a great point. The pandemic, extra playing year, grad transfers will have an effect for the next several years. This brings me to my point when selecting a school. It’s been brought up in past threads but you really have to ask yourself the questions.

• Can I see myself at this school for 4 years?
• Kids chase the NCAA dream. Nothing wrong with playing MCLA and enjoy the large campus activities. Very competitive teams at the MCLA level and school could be cheaper in the long run.
• D3 schools can and will be demanding on and off the field. Captains practice are real.
• Don’t commit based on the coach being there for the 4 years.

The forgotten side of visiting a school. This really doesn’t apply to D1. Of course you are going to see all the positives of a campus. For some families this is your first recruiting experience. It’s a great for any family. Before you commit to a school, dig deeper beyond just the financial cost

• My son had 3 kids transfer to his school the last 2 seasons from the same school. Not because of playing time but cliques and hostile environments. If you weren’t in the fraternity, you were considered an outsider. Look out for a toxic environment. The team should be your fraternity. A coach will easily place the burden on “senior leadership” wasn’t up to par speech. In the end, the coach has allowed that type of behavior.
• Slush funds: Find out how much you have to pay each year. You could shell out $300-$750 a year on travel funds to keep the boys fed on road trips and home game family tailgates.
• Not all schools provide swag. It’s expected to buy additional equipment. Work out gear, alternate helmets, travel attire etc.. Find out what the anticipated costs might look like.
• When you travel, do you share a bed or get your own bed. Trust me, you kid might end up sleeping on the floor on road trips. Hasn’t happened to us, but can happen.
• Understand the campus. How outdated are the dorms? Can kids live off campus? Make sure they show you the real Freshman dorms. If you are required to stay on campus all 3-4 years you better commit based on the education you will get and not lacrosse. Especially if you are going to a small older D3 school. It can be tough as kids mature and are tired of sharing 2-4 shower stalls for every 30-40 on a floor.
• How long are the dining halls open? Late practices and lack of dining facilities at D3 schools can leave a dorm bound kid hungry after a late practice.
• Understand why the coach has 50 plus on the sidelines? You better be good or it could be a long grueling season or 4 years sitting on the sidelines. Opposite of that, why do you have a small bench? That’s just as concerning.

In the end, your child will have an idea of what feels good for them. I’ve personally seen recruiting at high level D3-D2 and the rest of the pack that are starting new programs and selling the dream. It’s about the education, friendships and fun you have along the way. Playing the game is a bonus. Don’t stress about the fear of missing out. It happens fast so enjoy the experience.
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

Laxfan 2019, that might be the best post I have ever seen. Thanks for the brutal honesty.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

LaxFan#2019 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:16 am • Can I see myself at this school for 4 years?
Great post but this is the first and foremost question. A real bad injury summer before freshman year, followed by three eventual All-Americans coming in at my position in the class behind me, basically derailed my college career. Still ended up very happy with my college experience even though lacrosse wasn't a part of it for all four years. The game can get taken from you. Make sure you end up at school you'll still enjoy if that happens.
DQKing

Post by DQKing »

I've been going through some rosters and noticed some roster issues with a school my son is interested in. Not D1 but the overall atmosphere and school interests him. I get it that smaller schools are about getting "heads in beds." This particular one had less than 5 juniors on the team. When I looked at their roster from 2 years ago however it had 20+ incoming freshman. Obviously kids don't stay and an obvious red flag.

Another thing I read (maybe on the D1 board, can't remember now) is that if the head coach isn't talking to you then he probably doesn't want you or care so probably not a good fit.

From those that have been through it what are some other "red flags" people should be on the look out for in the recruiting process?
DQKing

Post by DQKing »

Curious if anyone has any comments regarding the D2 showcases here: www.d2lax.com (Also under Halo Lax I think)
Good?
Bad?
Indifferent?

Also see above post: Any "red flags" people should be on the look out for in the recruiting process?
Yubby10

Post by Yubby10 »

Any help/advice here is appreciated and was wondering if this is a "red flag" someone mentioned previously or real interest.

Son is a junior and has been getting interest from a few top D2 and D3 schools (and others) based of film he sent them as well as some showcases he attended over the summer. When these schools reach out to him they address him by name, comment on something he may have said in the email as well as comment on things they saw in the film he sent them or his performance in the a showcase. He has reached out to a handful of D1 schools. Really only one gets him excited and the rest are the same level of interest for him as the D2/D3 schools.The one that is of real interest did respond (HC) personally initially and did say they are rounding out their 2022 class and hadn't really started to focused on 2023's yet so be patient. Record wise this school is typically around .500 year after year if that matters in the equation. He received an invite to a prospect day but it was a generic email which I'm sure was sent to a multitude. Son responded directly to HC saying he cannot make the date because of travel (500+ miles) but we would look at a later date (they have multiple days). HC responded saying please consider the next one.

I'm a bit jaded by all the money grabs in lacrosse and find it difficult to know what genuine interest may be. All correspondence has been email as well so don't know if that means anything. Curious as to thoughts from others who may have been through it before.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Yubby10 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:13 pm Any help/advice here is appreciated and was wondering if this is a "red flag" someone mentioned previously or real interest.

Son is a junior and has been getting interest from a few top D2 and D3 schools (and others) based of film he sent them as well as some showcases he attended over the summer. When these schools reach out to him they address him by name, comment on something he may have said in the email as well as comment on things they saw in the film he sent them or his performance in the a showcase. He has reached out to a handful of D1 schools. Really only one gets him excited and the rest are the same level of interest for him as the D2/D3 schools.The one that is of real interest did respond (HC) personally initially and did say they are rounding out their 2022 class and hadn't really started to focused on 2023's yet so be patient. Record wise this school is typically around .500 year after year if that matters in the equation. He received an invite to a prospect day but it was a generic email which I'm sure was sent to a multitude. Son responded directly to HC saying he cannot make the date because of travel (500+ miles) but we would look at a later date (they have multiple days). HC responded saying please consider the next one.

I'm a bit jaded by all the money grabs in lacrosse and find it difficult to know what genuine interest may be. All correspondence has been email as well so don't know if that means anything. Curious as to thoughts from others who may have been through it before.
My son is a 2022 who committed to a NESCAC on 7/1. Most of the coaches who were really interested in him moved from personal emails to texts/calls in the first month of communication, but some stayed with emails for the entire recruiting period. Getting exposure to coaches in smaller, controlled environments was critical to my kid's success. Our experience was very unique because of COVID, the resulting extension of the DI Dead Period and campus closures, but my advice to folks in your shoes is to attend the on-campus prospect camp for any school that is (i) in your kid's top 15 and (ii) where the coach is communicating with personal emails/texting. If you cannot attend a prospect camp or if attending that many camps is impractical, find smaller showcases where several of the schools of interest are in attendance. For my son, Lacrosse Masters camps were invaluable. Always hit the coach with a text/email in the week prior to the camp/showcase.
Last edited by smoova on Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hatey McLife

Post by Hatey McLife »

Long-timer lurker here, but I recently cycled through the process this topic covers and felt I could add some value so here we are. My opinions - and they are only that, opinions - are below.

Re: influence - Neither HS nor Club Coaches had much impact in my son's recruitment. Of note our experience with club ball was (in hindsight) laughably bad and he chose to not play club his soph and junior yrs of HS. It is therefore no surprise club coach had no impact at all on recruitment. HS was willing and able to help, but we had a surprising amount of success self-marketing (so to speak). Basically came up with a target list, contacted (or tried to) coaches on this list directly, and followed-up if desired/necessary. Worth mentioning our initial contact included highlights from HS game film and/or showcases as he progressed through that season.

Re: prospect days - opportunistically useful, largely a waste of time. Developed a "formula" so to speak to measure the disparity between those two options. If the initial interest from a college was an invite to their prospect day, that equalled a hard pass. If the intial interest was a brief conversation (or text) and was followed up by a interest in talking further, we would consider attending a prospect day. For what its worth, we did not attend the prospect day for the College he ultimately committed to. My sense is, on average, less than 5 players on a 50-player roster come from prospect days, so again, not entirely useless but a lingshot. Another "tell" to help decipher whether its a money grab or the school is truly using prospect days as a recruiting tool: cost and attendance. A college charging a meaningful amount more than its peer group, with twice (or more) the amount of attendees (ask the coach for a general idea), is a good sign that day is a money grab. The disparity got worse as you moved up divisions - my sense is if a D1 school is interested, they will find you (or you them), no prospect day needed.

Re: age/phys characteristics - not going to be able to help much here, unfortunately. We started the recruiting process relatively late and therefore don't have a good frame of reference for how much coaches compare/contrast over a period of time. The single most important piece of recruiting for my son, and I would argue for the broader audience, is film. Take ownership of it - produce, direct, edit, update, etc., until it is pristine. Cannot be longer than 3 min either. Attach to your intial contact with coaches and send updated versions as appropriate. Also, a lot of coaches didn't reply right away (or for a longer period of time) but ultimately did, so don't get too disheartened if you are met with radio silence. Politely, yet consistently keep at it.

Re: film - see above lol. Got ahead of myself it seems.

Lastly, private summer workouts were SIGNIFICANTLY more effective - on multiple fronts - compared with club ball. Assuming its possible, find a local kid who played/plays the same postion as your son and chat him up about running through some drills with your son for an hour or so, 2-3x/week. Given the change in NCAA regs., I think you can even pay him (the going rate) for his time. It was this sort of individualized attention that vastly improved my son's skill set, execution, confidence, understanding of mechanics/schemes, etc.

Hope this helps.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Good stuff, Hatey. Thanks for sharing this helpful info.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”