COVID Proof Helmets

D1 Mens Lacrosse
socalref

COVID Proof Helmets

Post by socalref »

My son's new "COVID Proof" helmet was issued...

God forbid they sneeze inside these things... LOL

No new gear yet. Just retrofitting last years gear for practice. HOpefully, if they do play, this will be something they can take off by the time the season starts...

Typical Lax Dad

Re: COVID Proof Helmets

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

socalref wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:45 pm My son's new "COVID Proof" helmet was issued...

God forbid they sneeze inside these things... LOL

No new gear yet. Just retrofitting last years gear for practice. HOpefully, if they do play, this will be something they can take off by the time the season starts...

Looks like it will fog up!!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
socalref

Post by socalref »

Yeah. They're already bugging the equipment guys for a spray or something. Will be really fun when the weather turns...

I don't put much stock into these holding up against shots to the helmet. Once they flex, those tie down spots will snap...
Dyeingforyou

Post by Dyeingforyou »

Using that shield, found that removing the shield portion by the eyes reduces fogging a lot.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

No chance I would wear that as a goalie. That thing will absolutely shatter when it takes a 95 mph shot off the face mask. Did they consider that?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

socalref wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:44 pm Yeah. They're already bugging the equipment guys for a spray or something. Will be really fun when the weather turns...

I don't put much stock into these holding up against shots to the helmet. Once they flex, those tie down spots will snap...
i believe they've gotten rid of all the hits to the head with the new rules the last several years.
maybe for covid- spring 2021 we'll get a temporary rule on shooting space?
smoova

Post by smoova »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:06 pm No chance I would wear that as a goalie. That thing will absolutely shatter when it takes a 95 mph shot off the face mask. Did they consider that?
They're basically acetate, so they're not going to shatter, but they will fog unless you modify them as described above.
socalref

Post by socalref »

smoova wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:31 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:06 pm No chance I would wear that as a goalie. That thing will absolutely shatter when it takes a 95 mph shot off the face mask. Did they consider that?
They're basically acetate, so they're not going to shatter, but they will fog unless you modify them as described above.
I agree. I doubt they’ll shatter as well. I do think they’ll snap at the holes drilled for the zip tie and the top attachment point at the rear. The mask will flex and break. Even more so in the winter and early spring when it’s freezing.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

Is this a little overkill? I mean in a game it’s 10 against 10 on a massive field and you are safer outside. As for practices most of the players live and eat and party together so a plastic shield seems useless.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

bauer4429 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:51 pm Is this a little overkill? I mean in a game it’s 10 against 10 on a massive field and you are safer outside. As for practices most of the players live and eat and party together so a plastic shield seems useless.
Other than talking in a huddle, I don’t see the value of masks outside. Even in a huddle, I am not sure how much of a virus load a person would receive from an infected/asymptomatic person.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
socalref

Post by socalref »

This is all about mitigating legal and insurance claims.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Teats on a boar.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

socalref wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:26 pm This is all about mitigating legal and insurance claims.
When my son's club team sent out the offer to purchase these through their team store, they explicitly said that Cascade hadn't tested the shield's ability to limit or reduce virus spread. Completely all about optics and mitigating legal claims.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Wheels wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:51 pm
socalref wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:26 pm This is all about mitigating legal and insurance claims.
When my son's club team sent out the offer to purchase these through their team store, they explicitly said that Cascade hadn't tested the shield's ability to limit or reduce virus spread. Completely all about optics and mitigating legal claims.
Agreed, good business move. Short term revenue as well.

Whenever there is clear plastic/acetate/glass covering the eyes/face it is not good. Fog city. I lived it as a HS player before getting contacts senior year (going on the ice every hockey shift basically blind until the air flow let me see). In lacrosse, it was bad on humid/rainy days mostly. But watch NHLers, they wipe their visors after every shift on the bench. After NCAA hockey, what a relief to take the cage/visor off and see the ice like never before (it was beer league, but fun nonetheless).
viper

Post by viper »

Unknown Participant wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:27 pm

Whenever there is clear plastic/acetate/glass covering the eyes/face it is not good. Fog city. I lived it as a HS player before getting contacts senior year (going on the ice every hockey shift basically blind until the air flow let me see). In lacrosse, it was bad on humid/rainy days mostly. But watch NHLers, they wipe their visors after every shift on the bench. After NCAA hockey, what a relief to take the cage/visor off and see the ice like never before (it was beer league, but fun nonetheless).
I purchased a package of these shields for my 9 year old and we removed it 20 minutes in to his first practice with it when he could no longer see through it. Having said that my family is heavily involved in club (coaches and players) and we have yet to see any COVID issues (we are in MD) with all the outdoor practices and tournaments since it picked back up in July (fingers crossed).
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Bought a 3 pack of those shields too.
Not to wear, unless we absolutely have to- just if a league or county official gets a goofy idea.
Expected them to be like the older football shields. Not so much.
Much more flimsy. But they are marketed as "disposable."
I saw they switched their manufacturing to make PPE. Good for Cascade for trying to make a solution for laxers too.
These are crazy times.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

We scuba divers have a variety of excellent anti-fog products!
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Drcthru wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:47 pm

I'm sure, but did you have them in 79-80?
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I'm a big believer in the usefulness of masks and social distancing. This, however, seems illogical.

If players social distance at the restraining line and on the sidelines, the amount of close contact during play is quite short, and in a big outdoor area.

These shields create an incubation zone of hot, humid air around the eyes, nose and mouth. Also, they cut off purifying air flow. They were introduced when the disease was an unknown. They may be obsolete by now.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Unknown Participant wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:50 pm
Drcthru wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:47 pm

I'm sure, but did you have them in 79-80?
Yes. Pasturized cow spit! :lol:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”