JUST the Stolen Documents/Mar-A-Lago/"Judge" Cannon Trial

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: The Politics of National Security

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:40 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:33 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:15 am
RedFromMI wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:49 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:57 am
youthathletics wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:54 am Great move for accountability. Meanwhile, in Realville....
Yes, in the real world:

"With a written release or a written report, you avoid the back-and-forth of questions, some of which could be quite probing. And I think, I think the DNI would like to avoid that and avoid the risk of saying something that might incur the wrath of the President,"

Enjoy your Sunday.
And by controlling the narrative through the written submissions, the administration can conflate things like Chinese favoring a Biden win with Russia not only favoring a Trump win but working actively through media like FB to gin up support for Trump and suppress votes for Biden.

They all do it becomes the message, when in fact the preponderance of the activity is Russia meddling, just like in 2016.
So you'd rather it be verbal, left for interpretation, then have no way to prove it.....just like ole' times? It avoids mistakes like in the "pass it on game" where the story changes....this holds Schiff & Nunes accountable and forces them to play in the sandbox together.
There is no restriction on submitting written statements and reports, the only thing being eliminated is the back and forth of being questioned and challenged on how statements are characterized.

Here's the thing...what does the Trump Administration believe should be actually classified and, thus kept from public knowledge? The sources and methods of the intelligence gathering (ok, full agreement) or the conclusions drawn from such intelligence???

The latter appears to be the issue. When a statement was put out previously that conflated the Russian active measures campaign with the China preference, characterizing them similarly, only through congressional questioning was the statement re-done to draw the appropriate distinction.

Now, should the American public know???
I don't think this aspect should be behind closed doors at all...put Ratcliffe under oath and ask him, in full public view, hard questions on what's actually happening, without need for revealing sources and methods.

So, do Trump supporters really think the American public shouldn't know exactly how the Russians are meddling this go round? should they see examples of social media disinformation? what topics and views are they doing this around? should they hear about troll farms and bots? Are there Russian agents physically in the United States? Are there activities to penetrate election infrastructure?

Seriously, should voters not know?

Or is just cool to stay mum because it's designed to help Trump?
Maybe we are talking past others pov on this. DNI is not hiding them from the public...persay, the DNI sends them to Schiff and Nunes et al, who can then inform 'the people' congress, as they see fit. Maybe your argument is that the DNI will only send bland intel, which would mean your tin foil hat is on and you do indeed believe in the deep state, otherwise I still believe it forces the INtel committee to play with others balls and get along.
Not sure what you mean by this...if Ratcliffe is framing the intel, holding back on what is particularly damning about the active measures campaign, and instead frames it as a 'preference' equivalent to the China 'preference', then he can't be challenged.

Or any similar holdback or framing.
Note that the above already happened, indeed just happened, and is clearly what the Trump crew would like to be able to pitch to the American public leading up to the election. That's not tinfoil, it just happened. Nor is it 'Deep State', it's Trump-control of the DNI...how many DNI's has it taken to get to the Rat?

There's no validity to an argument that written information is less leak-able than verbal responses...the issue is entirely about message control and the avoidance of closer scrutiny...through the election. Yet that's the logic being pushed by the Trump crew, that they're worried about leaks...in other words, they really don't want to tell Congress and the American people something. So, they won't put it in writing...
DocBarrister

Mike Pompeo is the worst secretary of state in history

Post by DocBarrister »

Mike Pompeo is the worst secretary of state in history

... As secretary of state, Mike Pompeo has presided over the collapse of negotiations with North Korea, the failure of a pressure campaign against Iran and an abortive attempt to oust Venezuela’s authoritarian regime. On his watch, China has carried out genocide in its Xinjiang region and the suppression of Hong Kong’s freedoms without resistance from Washington until it was too late.

... The pressure campaign against Iran has been Pompeo’s signature cause: Trump announced the U.S. withdrawal from the multilateral accord restraining Iran’s nuclear program 13 days after Pompeo became secretary of state in April 2018. The president said he wanted to negotiate another deal, but Pompeo quickly moved to head that off, setting a dozen far-reaching conditions Tehran would have to meet and letting it be known his own goal was regime change.

Which, of course, hasn’t happened. Despite mounting U.S. sanctions and a drone strike killing its most important general, the regime of Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has remained intact and has stepped up its uranium enrichment. By this summer Iran had quintupled the stockpile of enriched uranium it had when Pompeo’s crusade began.

... When a 30-day waiting period expires in late September, the Trump administration may insist that global sanctions on Iran are back in force. If it does, the attempted fiat probably will be ignored by most of the world, including the leading democracies. The United States will stand visibly isolated. And Mike Pompeo’s tenure as history’s worst secretary of state will have reached its apotheosis.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... Fstory-ans

Hillary Clinton helped Barack Obama win a Nobel Prize by restoring American leadership and global respect in foreign affairs.

Mike Pompeo, on the other hand, has turned out to be a malignant, ignorant, and incompetent piece of trash ... just like Trump and his supporters.

It’s going to take a decade to clean up this mess.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Is Trump a Russian Agent?

Post by DocBarrister »

Truly astonishing that this has never been investigated.

But law enforcement officials never fully investigated Mr. Trump’s own relationship with Russia, even though some career F.B.I. counterintelligence investigators thought his ties posed such a national security threat that they took the extraordinary step of opening an inquiry into them. Within days, the former deputy attorney general Rod J. Rosenstein curtailed the investigation without telling the bureau, all but ensuring it would go nowhere.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/30/us/p ... tment.html

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
6ftstick

Re: Mike Pompeo is the worst secretary of state in history

Post by 6ftstick »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:10 am Mike Pompeo is the worst secretary of state in history

... As secretary of state, Mike Pompeo has presided over the collapse of negotiations with North Korea, the failure of a pressure campaign against Iran and an abortive attempt to oust Venezuela’s authoritarian regime. On his watch, China has carried out genocide in its Xinjiang region and the suppression of Hong Kong’s freedoms without resistance from Washington until it was too late.

... The pressure campaign against Iran has been Pompeo’s signature cause: Trump announced the U.S. withdrawal from the multilateral accord restraining Iran’s nuclear program 13 days after Pompeo became secretary of state in April 2018. The president said he wanted to negotiate another deal, but Pompeo quickly moved to head that off, setting a dozen far-reaching conditions Tehran would have to meet and letting it be known his own goal was regime change.

Which, of course, hasn’t happened. Despite mounting U.S. sanctions and a drone strike killing its most important general, the regime of Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has remained intact and has stepped up its uranium enrichment. By this summer Iran had quintupled the stockpile of enriched uranium it had when Pompeo’s crusade began.

... When a 30-day waiting period expires in late September, the Trump administration may insist that global sanctions on Iran are back in force. If it does, the attempted fiat probably will be ignored by most of the world, including the leading democracies. The United States will stand visibly isolated. And Mike Pompeo’s tenure as history’s worst secretary of state will have reached its apotheosis.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... Fstory-ans

Hillary Clinton helped Barack Obama win a Nobel Prize by restoring American leadership and global respect in foreign affairs.

Mike Pompeo, on the other hand, has turned out to be a malignant, ignorant, and incompetent piece of trash ... just like Trump and his supporters.

It’s going to take a decade to clean up this mess.

DocBarrister :?
Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama set the northern rim of Africa and the entire middle east ON FIRE.

Add John Kerry and you have the worst international team in US history.

Trump already cleaned their mess up.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

The moment when the Justice Department lost the chance to dismiss General Flynn's case
Are there any circumstances when a court could deny an unopposed prosecutor’s motion to drop a case? Yes, corruption.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 450667001/

► Never mind that in a 1985 case named United States v. Hansen, then-D.C. Circuit judge Antonin Scalia established that there need be no open investigation it to be a crime to lie to the FBI. https://casetext.com/case/united-states ... 1566827650
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
CU88

Post by CU88 »

President Trump has disparaged the intelligence of American military service members, asked that wounded veterans be kept out of military parades, and described service members who died in war as “losers,” “suckers,” and other insults. According to multiple unnamed senior aides who witnessed the remarks, in 2018 Trump declined to visit a cemetery where American war casualties were buried because he feared his hair would become disheveled in the rain, and remarked “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.” On the same European trip, Trump described marines killed in battle as “suckers” for having lost their lives.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
old salt

Post by old salt »

CU88 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:25 am President Trump has disparaged the intelligence of American military service members, asked that wounded veterans be kept out of military parades, and described service members who died in war as “losers,” “suckers,” and other insults. According to multiple unnamed senior aides who witnessed the remarks, in 2018 Trump declined to visit a cemetery where American war casualties were buried because he feared his hair would become disheveled in the rain, and remarked “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.” On the same European trip, Trump described marines killed in battle as “suckers” for having lost their lives.
Anyone who would make a claim like that & not go in the record, is a gutless coward.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

old salt wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:40 pm
CU88 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:25 am President Trump has disparaged the intelligence of American military service members, asked that wounded veterans be kept out of military parades, and described service members who died in war as “losers,” “suckers,” and other insults. According to multiple unnamed senior aides who witnessed the remarks, in 2018 Trump declined to visit a cemetery where American war casualties were buried because he feared his hair would become disheveled in the rain, and remarked “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.” On the same European trip, Trump described marines killed in battle as “suckers” for having lost their lives.
Anyone who would make a claim like that & not go in the record, is a gutless coward.
What do you have to say about IMPOTUS on John McCain?

“I never called … John a loser and swear on whatever, or whoever, I was asked to swear on, that I never called our great fallen soldiers anything other than HEROES,” o d tweeted today. Do you honstly believe this BS??

Except o d has most definitely called McCain a loser — in fact, he was so proud of doing so in 2015 that he tweeted a headline of him saying exactly that.

Or

When o d did call McCain a “loser” in 2015, questioning his status as a war hero and saying of the former prisoner of war, “I like people who weren’t captured.”

What do you think about American POW's? Or A POTUS who "doesn't like" them?

Remember when the White House raised it flag back to full staff; when ever other flag in the country was at half staff?
What do you think of a POTUS who does that for McCain?

No you blindly attack those "gutless cowards" while ignoring the public statements of IMPOTUS. But I get it, he is your guy and you will do as told.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Like a guy that ducks the army claiming bone spurs....
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

CU88 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:00 pm

“I never called … John a loser and swear on whatever, or whoever, I was asked to swear on, that I never called our great fallen soldiers anything other than HEROES,” o d tweeted today. Do you honstly believe this BS??

Except o d has most definitely called McCain a loser — in fact, he was so proud of doing so in 2015 that he tweeted a headline of him saying exactly that.

Or

When o d did call McCain a “loser” in 2015, questioning his status as a war hero and saying of the former prisoner of war, “I like people who weren’t captured.”

Remember when the White House raised it flag back to full staff; when ever other flag in the country was at half staff?

No you blindly attack those "gutless cowards" while ignoring the public statements of IMPOTUS. But I get it, he is your guy and you will do as told.
John McCain would find you embarrassing.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:27 pm
It's just a job he wasn't interested in.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:40 pm
Oh. I see.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

old salt wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:39 pm
CU88 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:00 pm

Or

John McCain would find you embarrassing.
And you DEPLORABLE.
Typical Lax Dad

You were right!!
Per @JenGriffinFNC: This former official heard the President say about American veterans: “’What’s in it for them? They don’t make any money?’ It was a character flaw of the President: he could not understand why someone would die for their country, not worth it.”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:31 pm
You were right!!
Per @JenGriffinFNC: This former official heard the President say about American veterans: “’What’s in it for them? They don’t make any money?’ It was a character flaw of the President: he could not understand why someone would die for their country, not worth it.”
You & Trump finally agree on something. It's a job. They volunteered.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:24 pm
You were right!!
You whining?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:25 pm
You were right!!
You whining?
Again he tries to actually provide cover for Trump. Sad.

Now Fox News confirms the report...
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:10 pm
You were right!!
You whining?

:roll: ...that's hardly confirmation. FNC was just put in touch with the same 4 unnamed sources,
Believe Bolton. He has no reason to defend Trump. Bolton said Kelly recommended that Trump not go.
This was thoroughly covered when it happened. Trump went to a WWI cemetery closer to Paris the next day, also in the rain.
This is a desperate hail mary rehash by Biden, coordinated with his media lackeys.

Trump has made no secret about his feeling of futility for our losses in "endless wars". He ran on it.
As a young Ivy intellectual, did you never question the senseless carnage of WW-I, & ask why the US was dragged into a war between inbred European royalty, feuding over the spoils of empire. I know my USMC great uncle did, as he suffered from the effects of mustard gas the rest of his life. You obviously weren't enthused enough about Vietnam to volunteer.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

I thought you didn’t speculate. A desperate gambit by “Biden, coordinates with his media lackeys”? The problem is that the phrases and statement attributed to Trump sound exactly like him; are completely in character; and are embodied in his and his family’s own choices about public service.

Thanks for the history lesson. And the easy effort at diminishing MD by invoking his Ivy education and lack of military service is telling. And small. Well done.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:25 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:10 pm
You were right!!
You whining?

:roll: ...that's hardly confirmation. FNC was just put in touch with the same 4 unnamed sources,
Believe Bolton. He has no reason to defend Trump. Bolton said Kelly recommended that Trump not go.
This was thoroughly covered when it happened. Trump went to a WWI cemetery closer to Paris the next day, also in the rain.
This is a desperate hail mary rehash by Biden, coordinated with his media lackeys.

Trump has made no secret about his feeling of futility for our losses in "endless wars". He ran on it.
As a young Ivy intellectual, did you never question the senseless carnage of WW-I, & ask why the US was dragged into a war between inbred European royalty, feuding over the spoils of empire. I know my USMC great uncle did, as he suffered from the effects of mustard gas the rest of his life. You obviously weren't enthused enough about Vietnam to volunteer.
Bolton also said that the reported statements may have happened when he wasn't in the room.

Who do you think these senior officials are that Fox and the rest of the media should ignore as liars?

No, actually I was never in the isolationist camp, though certainly the horror of war was a big part of my own perspective growing up expecting to go to Vietnam. I would very certainly not have avoided the call, but I was indeed greatly relieved when the war ended and my high school class of '76 did not even receive a draft number. Our military was overstaffed at that point, so I didn't feel any urgency to serve at that point.

On WWI, no, my perspective wasn't about 'in-bred royalty', more about 'nationalism', yes imperialism, but looking further across history, the nationalist expansionist impulse, to take others property, people, bounty at the point of the sword. Specific to WWI, certainly the futility and horror of trench warfare was clear.

Return to “POLITICS”