All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
63%
1 person.
15%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 68

seacoaster

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by seacoaster »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:14 am This is why the gov shouldn’t mandate anything.

It needs to be a choice. For the parents, for the teachers.

All schools should offer a simultaneous virtual and in person option. But instead we have governors, school superintendents and teachers unions who all know what’s best for your safety and your child’s safety.

Let people decide.

This is what happens when you rely on the government to think for you.
If it needs to be a choice, then each of the affected constituencies needs to be weighing in from the perspective of the interest they want to advance or the one they believe paramount. Kids' education? Staff health and welfare? Kid health and welfare? The public health ramifications of inadvertently creating spreader events? Umm, holy sh*t.

For better or worse, we have made school a governmental function in this country (while, inexplicably, doing a terrible job in civics education). Government at the municipal level sets budgets, lobbies the state government and State DOEs, accepts state and federal funds, manages curricula mandated elsewhere. I just don't see Government now stepping out of the public health issue of the last century and allowing a chiaroscuro of menu options, from town to town to town.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:07 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:14 am This is why the gov shouldn’t mandate anything.

All schools should offer a simultaneous virtual and in person option. But instead we have governors, school superintendents and teachers unions who all know what’s best for your safety and your child’s safety.

Let people decide.

If it needs to be a choice, then each of the affected constituencies needs to be weighing in from the perspective of the interest they want to advance or the one they believe paramount. Kids' education? Staff health and welfare? Kid health and welfare? The public health ramifications of inadvertently creating spreader events? Umm, holy sh*t.

For better or worse, we have made school a governmental function in this country (while, inexplicably, doing a terrible job in civics education). Government at the municipal level sets budgets, lobbies the state government and State DOEs, accepts state and federal funds, manages curricula mandated elsewhere. I just don't see Government now stepping out of the public health issue of the last century and allowing a chiaroscuro of menu options, from town to town to town.

A prescription for disaster.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Pretty funny how the r's are all now "Pro Choice" when it comes to kids health...
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Maybe we use Baron as a return to class barometer? And the public school kids can get the same mode of transportation and classroom/cafeteria density?

Barron Trump's Private School to Stay Closed Through October Due to COVID-19

https://time.com/5874742/barron-trump-s ... ronavirus/
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Let people decide.

Be safe for the publics. But infringing upon private schools for is complete bs. The issue becomes when government- now local health depts, (See Montgomery County, MD) stepping in and telling private schools they must go virtual.

Many private schools in MD are currently at capacity. I can tell you from personal anecdotes of 3 local Catholic schools- all were operating with vacancies last year. Well, what vacancies they had were gobbled up by parents who wanted to send their kids to in-person schools.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

CU88 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:27 am Pretty funny how the r's are all now "Pro Choice" when it comes to kids health...
And pretty funny how the democrats suddenly want to mandate what's best for people's individual health and limit choice.
Last edited by kramerica.inc on Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:03 am
youthathletics wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:51 am
jhu72 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:33 am A new interesting take on how the immune system works. It explains the wide dispersion of reactions to COVID.
Yes...BBC had a similar article a couple weeks ago: https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2020 ... eU6Oy9P4pI

Maybe if we stopped being such germaphobes, demanding antibiotics every Dr.s visit, and eating food that is a about 1 compound away from being plastic, we could build stronger immune systems and get our T-Cell counts higher.
My gut feeling tells me these guys are on to something. If they are correct, can prove it, they win a Nobel in medicine for the proof a few years from now. Obviously, this isn't about COVID specifically, it is a much broader discovery.
My favorite line: "That has been now confirmed in different continents, different labs, with different techniques, which is one of the hallmarks of when you start to actually really believe that something is scientifically well-established because it's found independently by different studies and different labs," said Sette.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Bart

Post by Bart »

RedFromMI wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:37 am
Bart wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:59 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:38 pm
Bart wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:01 pm
CU77 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:43 pm imrs.php copy.jpg
Boston Red Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez described his experience with covid-19 as feeling “like I was 100 years old.” Now, the 27-year-old left-hander will miss the 2020 season while recovering from a heart issue related to the illness.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... -covid-19/
Is the incidence of viral myocarditis greater with covid 19 than with other upper respiratory viral infections? This is a known complication for influenza
Recovered COVID Patients Often Have Heart Damage
https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020072 ... art-damage

July 30, 2020 -- A large number of patients who recover from the coronavirus may have heart damage weeks or months after they feel better, according to two new studies in JAMA Cardiology.

Released Monday, the studies reinforce the idea that COVID-19 attacks more than the lungs — it can damage other organs, too, even in people who were healthy before they contracted the virus.

In one study, researchers [SM1] from Germany analyzed MRI scans in 100 people between ages 45 to 53 who recovered from the coronavirus. Compared to scans of similar patients who didn’t have the virus, 78 had lingering heart damage and structural changes to their hearts. In addition, 76 of those patients had a biomarker usually found in heart attack patients, and 60 had heart inflammation.

Of the 100 patients recently recovered from COVID-19, 67 (67%) recovered at home, while 33 (33%) required hospitalization.

None of the patients had heart problems before the virus or experienced heart symptoms while they had COVID-19. They were “mostly healthy” before they got sick, the researchers said.

“The patients and ourselves were both surprised by the intensity and prevalence of these findings, and that they were still very pronounced even though the original illness had been by then already a few weeks away,” Valentina Puntmann, MD, a cardiologist at the University Hospital Frankfurt and a co-author of the study, told UPI.

“We found evidence of ongoing inflammation within the heart muscle, as well as of the heart’s lining in a considerable majority of patients,” she said.

In the other study, another team of researchers from Germany analyzed autopsy reports for 39 people between ages 78 to 89 who died from COVID-19 at the beginning of the pandemic. They found that the virus infected the heart in 16 -- or 41% -- of the patients.

“We see signs of viral replication in those that are heavily infected,” Dirk Westermann, MD, a cardiologist at the University Heart and Vascular Centre in Hamburg and a co-author of the study, told STAT.

“We don’t know the long-term consequences of the changes in gene expression yet,” he said. “I know from other diseases that it’s obviously not good to have that increased level of inflammation.”

Doctors have documented heart damage among COVID-19 patients worldwide. Boston Red Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez announced on Sunday that he wouldn’t start the season because he’s dealing with heart inflammation after contracting the coronavirus. He’s waiting for additional MRI results to determine whether he can play, according to WEEI.

“Back when I got COVID, I felt it all. I felt all the symptoms and everything,” he told the radio station. “Right now, I don’t feel all the symptoms. I got surprised when I got that from my heart because I don’t feel any symptoms from that. I didn’t feel anything from my chest.
Again, is this different From myocarditis from other biral respiratory illness? No doubt this is happening but does it happen at a greater rate?
I don't think these studies are deep enough to really say, but given how quickly some of the other locations of attack have been identified outside the lungs, my slightly educated guess is this is worse. And certainly could be much worse.
Are they finding this because they are lookin for this? What is the baseline we are comparing this too? I am not implying this is potentially bad but context matters.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

NJ: Woman gets leg broken in mask dispute- by assailant who wouldn't wear mask:

https://breaking911.com/shock-video-wom ... j-staples/
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:38 am

Let people decide.

Be safe for the publics. But infringing upon private schools for is complete bs. The issue becomes when government- now local health depts, (See Montgomery County, MD) stepping in and telling private schools they must go virtual.

Many private schools in MD are currently at capacity. I can tell you from personal anecdotes of 3 local Catholic schools- all were operating with vacancies last year. Well, what vacancies they had were gobbled up by parents who wanted to send their kids to in-person schools.
Cosmo, I confess I was not even thinking of the private schools. Yes, they will have to make their own calls on this, and cannot be regulated easily unless there is some evidence that in consequence of holding in-person school, teaching and associated activities they are causing a public health issue. But even those schools are accredited by the state, right? We are kind of in this together.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Let people decide.

Government is the appropriate arbiter in a public health crisis, not private businesses, whether schools or restaurants or...

Private businesses have competitive and profit interests in conflict to public safety, so regulation is necessary. And indeed, most businesses recognize that regulation, applied evenly, actually provides a roadmap for success over the long haul with no competitive disadvantage for those who would have complied voluntarily.

Friends of ours (Trump supporters) had postponed their daughter's wedding from June to the end of August, to be held on the eastern shore...was going to be a really nice event. A week ago we'd received an update on their plans to go forward. We were planning to go, but to eyeball the crowd as to whether people were wearing masks and staying apart. Serious concern, and other friends of ours were already bailing out of going, given the continued threat from the virus.

Citing new restrictions in MD, national counsel from Birx et al, the daughter just announced yesterday that they were canceling the large event, would do an online wedding, and do the party at some later date. Made no sense to have a large, potential super spreader event, with people from all over the country flying in...

Maryland, thank goodness, is recognizing that, though we're in better shape than many states, we nevertheless have more virus in the community than we did in March and a new crushing outbreak is but weeks away if we don't double down on the vigilance.

Frankly, I don't see how day schools of any type, public or private, can prevent the school setting from being spreader colonies to the families and to the teachers and staff. Theoretically everyone, students, teacher, staff could be in full PPE, but that doesn't appear to be anyone's actual plan. To expect hospital-like procedures to prevent infection spread just doesn't seem feasible, with younger kids unlikely to be sufficiently compliant.

Newest orders: https://governor.maryland.gov/2020/07/2 ... -advisory/
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:00 am

Let people decide.

Cosmo, I confess I was not even thinking of the private schools. Yes, they will have to make their own calls on this, and cannot be regulated easily unless there is some evidence that in consequence of holding in-person school, teaching and associated activities they are causing a public health issue. But even those schools are accredited by the state, right? We are kind of in this together.
Public health emergency trumps normal regulatory processes, so I don't think there's a significant legal impediment to the State controlling situations in which there are gatherings threatening public health, and closing situations that are non-compliant with whatever restrictions are put in place.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Actually, some things shouldn't be left up to personal choice:

Welcome to the Freedom Cafe! We trust you to make your own choices if you want to wear a face mask. And, in the same spirit of individual liberty, we allow our staff to make their own choices about the safety procedures they prefer to follow as they prepare and serve your food.

We encourage employees to wash their hands after using the bathroom, but understand that some people may be allergic to certain soaps or may simply prefer not to wash their hands. It is not our place to tell them what to do.

We understand that you may be used to chicken that has been cooked to 165 degrees. We do have to respect that some of our cooks may have seen a meme or a YouTube video saying that 100 degrees is sufficient, and we do not want to encroach on their beliefs.

Some of our cooks may prefer to use the same utensils for multiple ingredients, including ingredients some customers are allergic to. That is a cook’s right to do so.

Some servers may wish to touch your food as they serve it. There is no reason that a healthy person with clean hands can’t touch your food. We will take their word for it that they are healthy and clean.

Water temperature and detergent are highly personal choices, and we allow our dishwashing team to decide how they’d prefer to wash the silverware you will put in your mouth.

Some of you may get sick, but almost everyone survives food poisoning. We think you’ll agree that it’s a small price to pay for the sweet freedom of no one ever being told what to do - and especially not for the silly reason of keeping strangers healthy.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

USA's # 1 snake oil salesman:

and the cult of trumpism:

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

For the second time, the CDC has urged that schools must open.

Its not an economic crisis vs a healthcare crisis but a healthcare crisis vs a healthcare crisis. The damage to children by not opening schools is a greater health risk to a greater population than exposure to the virus.

The risk of children becoming seriously ill from COVID-19 is very low, while pediatricians emphasize the beneficial role schools play in children’s social development and mental health.

According to the CDC, prolonged school closures could worsen achievement gaps across income levels and racial and ethnic groups.

A study of 800,000 students by researchers at Brown and Harvard looking at how an online math program called Zearn was used found that student progress decreased throughout late April, particularly in low-income areas.

There are other benefits — such as identifying cases of child abuse.

The capital Washington saw a 62 percent decrease in child abuse reporting calls compared to last year, but more severe cases of child abuse were presented in emergency rooms.

The CDC concluded: “The best available evidence from countries that have opened schools indicates that COVID-19 poses low risks to school-aged children, at least in areas with low community transmission, and suggests that children are unlikely to be major drivers of the spread of the virus.”

Its that simple
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:16 am

Let people decide.

Public health emergency trumps normal regulatory processes, so I don't think there's a significant legal impediment to the State controlling situations in which there are gatherings threatening public health, and closing situations that are non-compliant with whatever restrictions are put in place.
But the arguments against Private schools is that they would be super spreaders and opening 100% as business as usual.

That's not the case.

These private schools are still compliant and implementing all CDC regulations. That is- following indoor capacity limits, sanitization, masks, distancing etc. This is not "school as usual." It's school in compliance with CDC guidelines.

The closures may be with good intentions, but there is still government overreach.
Typical Lax Dad

6ftstick wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:53 am For the second time, the CDC has urged that schools must open.

Its not an economic crisis vs a healthcare crisis but a healthcare crisis vs a healthcare crisis. The damage to children by not opening schools is a greater health risk to a greater population than exposure to the virus.

The risk of children becoming seriously ill from COVID-19 is very low, while pediatricians emphasize the beneficial role schools play in children’s social development and mental health.

According to the CDC, prolonged school closures could worsen achievement gaps across income levels and racial and ethnic groups.

A study of 800,000 students by researchers at Brown and Harvard looking at how an online math program called Zearn was used found that student progress decreased throughout late April, particularly in low-income areas.

There are other benefits — such as identifying cases of child abuse.

The capital Washington saw a 62 percent decrease in child abuse reporting calls compared to last year, but more severe cases of child abuse were presented in emergency rooms.

The CDC concluded: “The best available evidence from countries that have opened schools indicates that COVID-19 poses low risks to school-aged children, at least in areas with low community transmission, and suggests that children are unlikely to be major drivers of the spread of the virus.”

Its that simple
You should be upset with National leadership. This should have been reduced back in May/June. I said it back then....it’s basic common sense. Liberate the states.
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

CU88 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:29 am Maybe we use Baron as a return to class barometer? And the public school kids can get the same mode of transportation and classroom/cafeteria density?

Barron Trump's Private School to Stay Closed Through October Due to COVID-19

https://time.com/5874742/barron-trump-s ... ronavirus/
:roll: Wake up. In case you did not know, some schools have been holding summer school for few weeks. Kids eat in classroom.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:54 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:16 am

Let people decide.

But the arguments against Private schools is that they would be super spreaders and opening 100% as business as usual.

That's not the case.

These private schools are still compliant and implementing all CDC regulations. That is- following indoor capacity limits, sanitization, masks, distancing etc. This is not "school as usual." It's school in compliance with CDC guidelines.

The closures may be with good intentions, but there is still government overreach.
Correct. Here in MD, Montgomery County the health officials banned opening private schools, after they had planned to do it "SAFELY". Gov. Hogan then strongly disagreed with their decision. https://wjla.com/news/coronavirus/hogan ... o-pandemic
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”