Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
44WeWantMore

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by 44WeWantMore »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:25 am While I've made my position on this issue quite clear I am compelled to say again - completely disagree with anyone that doesn't think the roster size is an issue. There are so many correlations and potential ramifications it's ridiculous.
1. The magic number of 23/24 - that leaves 35/36/37 kids that will never leave the bench in a competitive game. While there are many I am sure that get tremendous value out of being on a DI team while not getting to start or play all that much - 35 (and let's face it -if more than half the team is not playing the problem starts at that number) cannot be good for team chemistry - parents/friends/players themselves - way more birds to start chirping in the nest
2. As '16 pointed out - practice - if you can't give 35 kids any game experience you have to them practice time - it makes practices harder to run and takes time and reps away from the 23 that will play.
3. Facilities/staff - aside from space that is probably optimal for 45 or so - Hopkins has 4 coaches and very few trainers - this isn't Clemson where they can hire someone to hold on to the pants of their DC so he doesn't get a penalty for going on the field - 60ish kids have to stretch the facilities to the limit.
4. Recruiting - While any individual hypothesis on why a kid left or decommitted I've put out there may be incorrect - undoubtedly Hopkins has lost recruits over the past several years when the roster size has ballooned due to the fact that an attackman may not want to join a team that already has 12 of them or whatever
5. Money - Hopkins is a very expensive school (duh) I believe that the potential competitiveness for certain recruits could also be increased by being able to offer slightly bigger pieces of the 12.6 pie. 12.6 divided by 60 = .21 12.6 divided by 40 = .31 - the numbers are thrown out there as examples -I know not everyone receives athletic aid or gets the exact same amount - the point is still relevant.

Having depth is important - injuries of course happen and you need the next man up to get the job done but 60 is absurd. It just is. The Hopkins women's volleyball team went 35-0 and never had more than something like 9-10 players so they never held a true intrasquad scrimmage. I am going to bet every single one of them contributed and felt very much a part of the team. Do you really think a team where 62% of the players never really play can say the same thing? If you do fine - afraid that means an agree to disagree situation.
Not saying they actually did this, but Volleyball would be an easy sport to recruit some men to round out their scrimmages. Recently, the Duke Alumni magazine did a feature about the men who scrimmage against their women's BBall team. Granted it was in an alumni magazine, but it seemed that all concerned were happy.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Virtually all "off campus" housing where upperclassmen live is within a few blocks of the Homewood campus. The vast majority of juniors and seniors live in either a rowhouse or in one of the apartment complexes on Charles St., St. Paul, North Calvert, and occasionally out to Guilford, though not often past it—all sandwiched between one block above University Parkway to the north and roughly 27th St to the south. There are "off campus" apartments that are technically closer to campus than some "on campus" buildings. Unless you live on the freshman quad, the distinction between off- and on-campus housing at Hopkins is increasingly meaningless from a geographic standpoint—just depends who you're paying rent to and whether you need a J-Card to swipe in.

Two latest freshman intros:
DiMarsico: https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 7064963076
Looks to be a fairly athletic goalie out of the Pittsburgh area—some nice stops in his highlight reel but I can't imagine the competition out there is too scintillating

Chase LaDrido: https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 6609891328
Middie from California, was highly touted when he committed what feels like a decade ago (fact check: it was in 2016) but haven't heard a peep about him since then and he seems to have fallen out of IL's rankings

Pretty clear to me Petro made an effort to go outside the usual recruiting areas for the 2020 class with these kids from western PA, Cali, Canada, Utah, Georgia, Florida...will be very interesting to see what the new staff can get out of them.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:47 pm It's been awhile since I lived there. they charge you a lot to live and eat on campus to help pay the adminstrative bloat. off campus is better, big row houses. no ra's, more WOMBAT style living. just don't get shot or mugged.
Row houses?!?

They now have privately-owned luxury apartments, specifically designed for students, across the street. I would rent one of those were I a student at Hopkins today.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:28 am So with many saying the roster is unmanageable at the current number I will ask again. What was Petro thinking and what was his motivation? He wasn’t going to cut guys he recruited. So anybody have an idea of what his plan was with his 65 man squad?
My guess is that Petro wanted a huge roster to help ensure he had the 20 or so players he actually needed on the field to win, and win now.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I don’t have time to look this up, but this 60-65 squad thing: how many are COVID fifth years?

I’m not going to divide by 5 and say it is 12 or 13.

But whatever the number is, subtract that off, and you would have a number in the mid-50s, if it hadn’t been for the suspended season and NC$$ ruling.

Let the guys play - REPRESENT!!!!

It’s not like other schools won’t have similar roster expansion.

And effing Duke somehow managed 5th years and broke through their glass ceiling with NC$$ help.

Maybe this situation will help break drought 2.0.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:23 pm I don’t have time to look this up, but this 60-65 squad thing: how many are COVID fifth years?
Now that Colwell is not coming back, it's only one (Williams). Lyne and Giacalone are listed as redshirt seniors, which I take to mean they would have returned next year with or without the NCAA extension. But if you want to include them, it's still only three. We wouldn't be in the mid-50s yet.

There are 62 players on the roster right now by my count, including the three transfers who aren't officially listed online yet.

The issue is not returning seniors but rather the increasing size of the incoming freshman classes. The last two have each had 18 guys:

2016 - 12
2017 - 13
2018 - 15
2019 - 18
2020 - 18

I don't think it's a stretch to say that the failure to consistently develop players in the last few years has some connection to the large class sizes. It's kind of like the reason colleges prefer smaller class sizes and brag whenever the professor-to-student ratio is low. Individual attention, closer relationships, etc. The staff has limited time and resources. Players absolutely should be doing work on their own but there's no substitute for quality 1-on-1 coaching, IMO. Isn't that what they are there for?

This may matter less this time next year, as the 2021 class currently only has 6 guys and Milliman has said it's probably not going to get much bigger. Add a FOGO and maybe another middie or two and call it a day. (Right now it's 2 A, 2 D, 1 M, 1 LSM.)
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

And he may be positioning Hopkins to have room for later commits. Which I fully support.
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

Hopkins added a '21 commit from the Syracuse area, Defenseman/LSM Brackton Bowler.

I think he's one of the best defenseman in Upstate NY, but has flown under the radar because he doesn't play for a high profile club team.

Originally committed to Binghamton, he is at CBA Syracuse and is coached by Beardsley.

Very athletic and aggressive, which is what you'd expect with his head coach.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCs6GbdBp4Y/
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

D2fan wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:37 pm Hopkins added a '21 commit from the Syracuse area, Defenseman/LSM Brackton Bowler.

I think he's one of the best defenseman in Upstate NY, but has flown under the radar because he doesn't play for a high profile club team.

Originally committed to Binghamton, he is at CBA Syracuse and is coached by Beardsley.

Very athletic and aggressive, which is what you'd expect with his head coach.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCs6GbdBp4Y/
Thanks for the scoop!

Athletic and aggressive ... hopefully, that is the future of the Hopkins defense.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Any intel on Logan Blondell who recently transferred out of Hopkins?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Laxbuck wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:13 am Any intel on Logan Blondell who recently transferred out of Hopkins?
Heard he is going to St. Joe's. Showed some promise as a big and athletic presence in the middle of the field in very brief glimpses late in the 2019 season but I have no real idea why he left the team.
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:24 pm Not sure why there is so much discussion of roster management.

A head coach who can’t manage his roster has no business being a head coach. It’s Coaching 101.

I have no doubt Coach Milliman will get a handle on the roster. Much more interested in seeing what he does with it.

DocBarrister 8-)
And that is the Correct Answer. ;)

60 players on a lacrosse roster is simply ridiculous. Practice would be chaos and confusion. No one would be receiving any meaningful coaching. Do that and you get fired :roll:

Those who have suggested 6 goalies is just fine: I don't think so. Goalies take a lot of Coaches time, Stopping shots, how to clear, etc.
Two goalies is fine, three goalies is the max. Just slow it down in time for a given practice or even a game. The warm up of a goalie: when I played, only a Coach could warm up a Goalie ( goalies' psyche and confidence was considered a delicate thing). Long shots, first softly , then stronger. Next short shots: high and low. This all takes "practice time". Then Full field scrimmage, 2 goalies and when the ball is at the other end of the field. one goalie is just a "spectator" for approx. 50% of the time. So those of you who think 6 goalies on a roster is "just fine", how does that work in real time ?? With just 3 coaches and a volunteer assistant??

Never. Do that as a Coach, and you will have failure and mediocre play and will be fired. I don't expect the new Coaches will do that.
I have "hope" for rational coaching. :)

I expect the new coaches to shake of the Roster and have (maybe) 40 players
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:09 pm
jhu06 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:47 pm It's been awhile since I lived there. they charge you a lot to live and eat on campus to help pay the adminstrative bloat. off campus is better, big row houses. no ra's, more WOMBAT style living. just don't get shot or mugged.
Row houses?!?

They now have privately-owned luxury apartments, specifically designed for students, across the street. I would rent one of those were I a student at Hopkins today.

DocBarrister 8-)
you go to college in baltimore to live la vida jimmy mcnulty not the millionaire and his wife.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

At this point, much of Charles Village seems like it's actually part of campus . . .
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

posting.php?mode=quote&f=290&p=168753

I disagree with the 2 goalie plan, 3 tops .... goalies’ bodies take an absolute beating in practice and games. The only protection they have is the chest and cup zone, everything else is fair game for ball welts. The athletic ones that drop and a scrap around also suffer knee and groin injuries. Maybe that’s something only a parent of a goalie would recognize. They all deserve full scholarships with the beating their bodies take.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Hopkins Athletics has announced the passing of Jerry Smith who was the long time owner of PJs Pub.

“ Sad to report the passing of Jerry Smith. Jerry was one of the great JHU fans and touched the lives of so many current & former Blue Jays. RIP Jerry ... you will be missed. #ForeveraBlueJay”
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:25 am While I've made my position on this issue quite clear I am compelled to say again - completely disagree with anyone that doesn't think the roster size is an issue. There are so many correlations and potential ramifications it's ridiculous.
1. The magic number of 23/24 - that leaves 35/36/37 kids that will never leave the bench in a competitive game. While there are many I am sure that get tremendous value out of being on a DI team while not getting to start or play all that much - 35 (and let's face it -if more than half the team is not playing the problem starts at that number) cannot be good for team chemistry - parents/friends/players themselves - way more birds to start chirping in the nest
2. As '16 pointed out - practice - if you can't give 35 kids any game experience you have to them practice time - it makes practices harder to run and takes time and reps away from the 23 that will play.
3. Facilities/staff - aside from space that is probably optimal for 45 or so - Hopkins has 4 coaches and very few trainers - this isn't Clemson where they can hire someone to hold on to the pants of their DC so he doesn't get a penalty for going on the field - 60ish kids have to stretch the facilities to the limit.
4. Recruiting - While any individual hypothesis on why a kid left or decommitted I've put out there may be incorrect - undoubtedly Hopkins has lost recruits over the past several years when the roster size has ballooned due to the fact that an attackman may not want to join a team that already has 12 of them or whatever
5. Money - Hopkins is a very expensive school (duh) I believe that the potential competitiveness for certain recruits could also be increased by being able to offer slightly bigger pieces of the 12.6 pie. 12.6 divided by 60 = .21 12.6 divided by 40 = .31 - the numbers are thrown out there as examples -I know not everyone receives athletic aid or gets the exact same amount - the point is still relevant.

Having depth is important - injuries of course happen and you need the next man up to get the job done but 60 is absurd. It just is. The Hopkins women's volleyball team went 35-0 and never had more than something like 9-10 players so they never held a true intrasquad scrimmage. I am going to bet every single one of them contributed and felt very much a part of the team. Do you really think a team where 62% of the players never really play can say the same thing? If you do fine - afraid that means an agree to disagree situation.
1. Top college football teams have ~100+ guys on the field (85 on scholly); the rest are walk-ons. Over half never see the field.
2. They could practice on a scout team
3. The Hop has the money for facilities, but yes Coaching/Staffing is a big issue as it is capped by ncaa.
4. The year of COVID will be awkward for all. Many teams will be going big.
5. The 12.6 scholly pie is a drop in the bucket. While lax is generally considered a sport of mostly full-pays, with Bloomberg money I hear that Hopkins is moving towards HYPS-level of generosity, i.e., what many would be consider high income is still eligible for need-based aid. Moreover, how many of those 60 have actually been offered a scholly vs. preferred walk-on?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

bauer4429 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:58 pm posting.php?mode=quote&f=290&p=168753

I disagree with the 2 goalie plan, 3 tops .... goalies’ bodies take an absolute beating in practice and games. The only protection they have is the chest and cup zone, everything else is fair game for ball welts. The athletic ones that drop and a scrap around also suffer knee and groin injuries. Maybe that’s something only a parent of a goalie would recognize. They all deserve full scholarships with the beating their bodies take.
I dunno about the full scholarship idea ;) but I'd agree that a modern team, with no JV team to draw on, needs a minimum of 3 healthy goalies, preferably four on the roster.

Beyond that and it's too much standing around.

But less, and your tenders are going to take too much of a beating in practice. Nothing worse than being beaten up, especially hands, knees, shins, feet. My dad, my son, and I all college goalies. Game today is faster, nearly everyone can shoot a cannon, and there's simply more chances to take a shot wrong, gloves really don't protect, nothing on your arms and legs, etc.

I recall being a freshman tender up in Hanover in February pre-season practices in the mud, trying to make the varsity at least, hopefully starter, 2 upper classmen and the goalie from the #1 team from the Island were the competition. One of the freshmen was likely to play JV or both of us. We were running a drill with attack man behind feeding cutting midfielder, shot...no defenders, midfielder needed simply to catch and shoot. Again and again these guys were hitting me, colder than bejesus, man the ball stung, heavy and hard shots to the thigh would take my legs out, shots off the foot, arms, shoulder, head, shins...it was ridiculous and seemed endless...and then after practice I'd stay behind with guys wanting more shots, one after another a couple of steps in from the midline...sometimes the knuckleheads would get impatient and I wouldn't be fully set...brutal.

We kept 2 on varsity, one 'retired', and the freshman from the Island played JV, moved up to varsity with me for 2 years then 'retired' too. I started the four years and was extremely fortunate to never be seriously injured, though certainly played through a lot of bruises...darn attack men loved to aim for my elbow during clears... I contrast that with my son's experience, where despite having 4 on the roster, there was rarely a 5 game stretch with all four healthy, with the senior his freshman year breaking his foot, the next year the starter hurt his back and the next year my son won the job, having had hip surgery as a freshman, playing through a torn shoulder labrum the last two years, then 3rd concussion playing lax eventually ending his career. So many injuries these days, much more so than in my day or my dad's day.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

flalax22 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:21 pm Hopkins Athletics has announced the passing of Jerry Smith who was the long time owner of PJs Pub.

“ Sad to report the passing of Jerry Smith. Jerry was one of the great JHU fans and touched the lives of so many current & former Blue Jays. RIP Jerry ... you will be missed. #ForeveraBlueJay”
Damn. He was a great guy, looked out for the team, and was also known as “Coach Smith”. Always fun to talk to.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:21 pm Hopkins Athletics has announced the passing of Jerry Smith who was the long time owner of PJs Pub.

I wasn't a pjs diehard or insider, but I loved the place and it was one of the few things about Hopkins socially that made you feel like you were at a real college and not some study bot. I don't know what the kids do now, but condolences to those of you that knew him well. I remember after the 04 tournament loss going in there and he was consoling a bunch of guys. Him and Petro, real passing of a moment.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”