Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:09 pm web posting on 2021 coming to Hopkins - says he committed to follow Milliman and play for him and JGJR
https://phillylacrosse.com/2020/mainlin ... s-hopkins/
Salesianum has produced some solid D1 lacrosse players. Small private school in Wilmington but they play a lot of good teams. Can't remember the last Blue Jay from the great state of Delaware. Must have been at least 20 years if not longer.

Choose 3 Hopkins defensemen: Think it has to be Petro, Durkin, and either Greenberg or DeTomasso. https://www.instagram.com/p/CB3RXTFDFgR/
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:04 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:09 pm web posting on 2021 coming to Hopkins - says he committed to follow Milliman and play for him and JGJR
Salesianum has produced some solid D1 lacrosse players. Small private school in Wilmington but they play a lot of good teams. Can't remember the last Blue Jay from the great state of Delaware. Must have been at least 20 years if not longer.

Choose 3 Hopkins defensemen: Think it has to be Petro, Durkin, and either Greenberg or DeTomasso. https://www.instagram.com/p/CB3RXTFDFgR/
Take Mitchell over all of them, first.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:11 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:04 pm

Take Mitchell over all of them, first.
he sucked!!! pia. but petro gets the nod bt the 2. suffice to say having 2 tall dudes with wheels and checks is not a picnic.
durkin is modern day and it can't all be old guys.
never saw greenberg.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Watched the Naptown game. Only two kids who stuck out to me were McAdorey and Arceri (Sweetlax FOGO). McDermott was in the next tier. Martin and Arteaga were pretty anonymous. Can we just give Duke a couple of trophies and be done with it? They're gonna be really, really good over the next 3-4 years. Gonna be painful to watch.
molo

Post by molo »

Petro is the clear number one. He was the best defenseman on the team, probably best in the country for three years. Not only a superior cover guy, he was a smooth stick handler who could switch from his natural left to his excellent right to throw a pinpoint clearing pass. Primarily a close dman, he bumped up to lsm for his legendary battles with Gary Gait.
Greenberg was a superb cover guy who famously took Maryland star Bob Boniello out of his natural ball handling role, rendering him a creaseman in an epic game against the Terps.
DeTo was the next great Hopkins dman until Petro, with whom he played during Petro’s freshman year, came along.
Steve Mitchell was the first lsm to be named first team AA. He was named as a middie before the AA team included a designated spot at lsm. He effectively created the position. When he played, there was no limit on poles, most teams using two on face-offs and running rope units of two poles and one ssdm.Frequently, the lsms of that era were the number three, four, or five dmen and would not infrequently move to close after starting their careers at lsm, somewhat like modern era attackmen who run out of the box for a year or two before moving into starting attack spots. Steve essentially created the modern lsm role as a different position and I would thus call him the best Hopkins lsm but list it separately from close d. Keep in mind that a guy a year or two ahead of Steve, Brad McLam, who played fb on the BJ football team, was also pretty much a career lsm, and quite a good one, himself.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I'll take Petro 1, 2 and 3. Maybe just because we overlapped, but the guy was an animal. Quick, physical and abusive. No one wanted to play against him. He just beat the crap out of attackmen. And then took the ball away and went the other way. DeTo was great too, but his job was so much easier because of 43, so can't include him. Petro was a scary pickup hoops player too. Generally best to stay out his way, given he was the best athlete on campus. He apparently used to suit up when he was an assistant at Penn and just abused kids. Forget about the ball and your stick, you were lucky to keep your gloves on.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

nyjay wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:45 pm DeTo was great too, but his job was so much easier because of 43, so can't include him.
Puzzled by the reference here - to whom are you referring to with the number 43? - Petro - the 43 I think of - was only with DeTommaso for one year '86 and I think Petro had to play more against Carolina in the '86 semis because DeTo was hurt and Hopkins lost a game they never should have lost. Are you referencing Quinn (#21) or Mitchell (#44)?

BTW - for those voting for Mitchell they say they are doing an LSM vote

Anyway - usually agree with your posts all the way but can't here - John DeTomasso was one of the ALL TIME greats - his battles with Tim Nelson were terrific lacrosse theater - some of best 1v1 - still hear ol Leif Elsmo - "mano a mano"

If you are saying a great goalie makes a defenders job easier - I agree - but most of these defenders played in front of fantastic goal tending. Greenberg played in front of Piggy, Deto played in front of Quinn, and Petro played in front of QK who was a 4 x AA. I saw EVERY one of these players in person a fair amount - and Petro/DeTo and Greenberg (the two 3X 1st teamers and the defender who won the Enners) are my votes with Durkin an alternate. IMO - this one is not as hard as the attack was.
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

molo wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:27 pm Greenberg was a superb cover guy who famously took Maryland star Bob Boniello out of his natural ball handling role, rendering him a creaseman in an epic game against the Terps.
DeTo was the next great Hopkins dman until Petro, with whom he played during Petro’s freshman year, came along.
1. Greenberg
2. Petro
3. DeTo
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:40 am If you are saying a great goalie makes a defenders job easier - I agree - but most of these defenders played in front of fantastic goal tending. Greenberg played in front of Piggy, Deto played in front of Quinn, and Petro played in front of QK who was a 4 x AA.
Which begs the question, who was the best goalie/defenseman combination of all time?
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

[/quote]

Puzzled by the reference here - to whom are you referring to with the number 43? - Petro - the 43 I think of - was only with DeTommaso for one year '86 and I think Petro had to play more against Carolina in the '86 semis because DeTo was hurt and Hopkins lost a game they never should have lost. Are you referencing Quinn (#21) or Mitchell (#44)?

[/quote]

You should have been puzzled by the reference - I was confusing a couple of things. My knowledge really starts in 89 - wasn't following or around before that, so will trust everyone else on John De Tommaso and Mark Greenberg. Who was the Italian guy who played pole with Petro on the 89 team? I think he wore 42?
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

That '89 defense was Pietramala, Billy Dwan and (Steve?) Ciccarone #42, I think. Pretty solid defense with Q in net.

One of the better championship games I ever attended versus Cuse at College Park.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Pretty sure the guy I'm thinking of James DeTommaso, John's little brother. Can't seem to find a roster from that year. I think Billy Dwan was the third guy.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Steve Ciccarone was #42 in 1989. His dad, a legendary Hopkins coach, passed away a year earlier.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

are there any Petro guys buried on the current roster/recruits who might thrive under milliman or grant jr for whatever reason. Have to be one or two who get second looks, a tweak or two to their games or some confidence and end up making improvements. Even when Petro was running things we'd see a john kastner come out of nowhere.

wondered the other day if the school has looked at renovating homewood. I honestly don't see where the issue is right now unless there's some structural stuff. I know they redid the baseball field, the tennis courts and some other facilities and did well, but it's not something that really seems like it needs much help.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:17 pm
are there any Petro guys buried on the current roster/recruits who might thrive under milliman or grant jr for whatever reason. Have to be one or two who get second looks, a tweak or two to their games or some confidence and end up making improvements. Even when Petro was running things we'd see a john kastner come out of nowhere.

wondered the other day if the school has looked at renovating homewood. I honestly don't see where the issue is right now unless there's some structural stuff. I know they redid the baseball field, the tennis courts and some other facilities and did well, but it's not something that really seems like it needs much help.
It was recently renovated—that whole walk-up area next to Cordish with the Bob Scott statue was only put in a few years ago. Sounds like you haven't been to a game in quite awhile. The stands are fine, the field is gorgeous with the new turf. Only thing I can think of is maybe the bathrooms could be spruced up a tad but then again runrussellrun would probably ruin them again the minute he stepped inside.

The obvious candidate to take a leap under the tutelage of JGJR though he is not buried on the roster is Cole Williams. If ever there was a big lefty attackman who knew how to back his man down from the wing, it's Junior. Perhaps he can teach Cole a thing or two to help him be more consistent game to game. One under-the-radar guy I have my eye on is Tallino...he is not a large man but he kind of reminds me of Tinney in his dodging—quick lefty with some creative moves to get to the cage.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:17 pm are there any Petro guys buried on the current roster/recruits who might thrive under milliman or grant jr for whatever reason.
So by buried I am going to infer "never played" and by mentioning JGJR I am going to assume you mean offensive players and in actuality the numbers are few and they are mostly sophs/freshmen eligible so not surprising they didn't get to play much in the first 6 games but the candidates are these:
- the infamous Alexander Mabbett
- all the aforementioned sophs "Brunner, Schreiber, Krampf, Cohen, Handsor, Burnett

There's nobody else except if you want to throw Shilling in there because he only played EMO

So I might go where '16 went - which is: can the new staff's approach re-energize any players and besides Williams the obvious candidate is DeSimone. Keogh returning from injury is another interesting player that you could hope thrives under some of the 2 man games I saw from Air Force.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

nyjay wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:06 am so will trust everyone else on John De Tommaso and Mark Greenberg.
You can get a glimpse of Deto against Tim Nelson in the 11 minute snippet of Hop/Cuse '84 title game on youtube. It was quite a 1v1 war until Nelson's own brother - trying to clear Deto off of his brother near the crease - took out his knee and blew out the ACL. Nelson was a super player - that's for sure. In the rematch in the '85 title game - Nelson was likely not 100% and Deto/Quinn owned that day.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:43 pm
jhu06 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:17 pm are there any Petro guys buried on the current roster/recruits who might thrive under milliman or grant jr for whatever reason.
So by buried I am going to infer "never played" and by mentioning JGJR I am going to assume you mean offensive players and in actuality the numbers are few and they are mostly sophs/freshmen eligible so not surprising they didn't get to play much in the first 6 games but the candidates are these:
- the infamous Alexander Mabbett
- all the aforementioned sophs "Brunner, Schreiber, Krampf, Cohen, Handsor, Burnett

There's nobody else except if you want to throw Shilling in there because he only played EMO

So I might go where '16 went - which is: can the new staff's approach re-energize any players and besides Williams the obvious candidate is DeSimone. Keogh returning from injury is another interesting player that you could hope thrives under some of the 2 man games I saw from Air Force.
Agree about Keogh and DeSimone. The offense is fun to talk about but the bigger question IMO is which of the young poles with theoretical upside does Koesterer mold? And will he be able to develop anyone that Petro wouldn't have? Between Rodgers, Jaronski, Calnan, Ruddy, Smith, etc., there are several guys who have shown some good things on tape in high school (and in Jaronski's case, some nice moments as a freshman) but remain unknown/unproven commodities as college players. A lot depends on JK's ability to help turn a couple of those guys into quality players. That's to say nothing of the lingering SSDM question, which is even more hazy.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

molo wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:27 pm Greenberg was a superb cover guy who famously took Maryland star Bob Boniello out of his natural ball handling role, rendering him a creaseman in an epic game against the Terps.
That is my recollection, from that championship game, I believe the Terps were favored in that game because of Boniello and that great offense.
The picture I remember is of Boniello standing in the muddy crease, towards the end of the game when the outcome was beyond doubt, sort of a Y.A. Tittle moment.
Pete Worstell was hurt and didn’t play in that game as I recall.
LPs #38 was a key defenseman also on that team.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I've said it before - I think there are going to be a couple of guys come out of the woodwork and surprise. Probably more on defense, as the offense is pretty full of guys who we know can play. Our SSDM play has been so bad for so long that I absolutely believe that a large part of the problem was scheme related. I think Glassmeyer will turn out to be pretty good. Not sure Lilly is quick enough. One of the more of the incoming guys should help too.

I think it's a similar situation with the poles. Colwell is above average (if not great) and a captain, so he'll play. Reinson showed some real flashes as an LSM his freshman year, but didn't seem to get better (which was a typical pattern with the old staff). I think he can play either close or rotate with Fernandez at LSM and will help next year. Jaronski can play too. Add in Smith and we should be fine. I think Blake Rodgers is the under the radar one to watch.

The more I look at this roster, the more optimistic I become. But then I remember just how good the top end teams are going to be next year and my expectations get appropriately tempered. Sticking with my prior prediction - I think this team is top ten most of the year and loses in the quarters.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”