Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Kismet

Re: Racism in America- Week 4 of Unrest

Post by Kismet »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:32 am
Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:06 am Peter Brown, your links do not prove that the slippery slope is real. It proves that you're not alone in your slippery slope perspective. But that doesn't make it true. Removing statues of southern military leaders during the civil war does not lead to removal of George Washington from all american currency.
As someone wisely said on my Twitter feed - people like Washington and Jefferson, while being slaveholders helped to establish a framework for their eventual freedom. They set up a philosophy that inevitably led to the conclusion that slavery was wrong.

Now if we just can get it in our heads that promoting large prison populations with exploitable labor is really almost the same thing...
NUANCE is dead in 2020 America. BOTH sides of any debate.
Good luck with this.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:36 am https://www.prisonpolicy.org/blog/2017/04/10/wages/

And when you have the warden from Shawshank it gets a lot worse.
https://www.thenation.com/article/archi ... son-labor/
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:43 am From CNN:

(CNN)Growing up in the South, Robert P. Jones attended Southern Baptist churches, Sunday schools, even a Southern Baptist college.

But it was only in seminary, in his mid-20s, that Jones says he learned the full truth about Southern Baptists' white supremacist roots. The denomination was founded to defend slavery and did not formally rebuke its past until 1995, when Southern Baptists voted to apologize for their history of racism.

Jones was a social scientist before he realized how stubbornly racist ideas can persist in white churches.
"White Christian churches have not just been complacent; they have not only been complicit," he writes in his book, "White Too Long: The Legacy of White Supremacy in American Christianity," publishing next month.

... "Rather, as the dominant cultural power in America, they have been responsible for constructing and sustaining a project to protect white supremacy and resist black equality," he writes. "This project has framed the entire American story."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/19/us/white ... index.html

DocBarrister
I've met him, smart, caring guy. Very thoughtful and rigorous.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:06 am Peter Brown, your links do not prove that the slippery slope is real. It proves that you're not alone in your slippery slope perspective. But that doesn't make it true. Removing statues of southern military leaders during the civil war does not lead to removal of George Washington from all american currency.
As someone wisely said on my Twitter feed - people like Washington and Jefferson, while being slaveholders helped to establish a framework for their eventual freedom. They set up a philosophy that inevitably led to the conclusion that slavery was wrong.

Now if we just can get it in our heads that promoting large prison populations with exploitable labor is really almost the same thing...
on the side of each of these perspectives. and wash & jeff the good and the bad should always both be examined.

fyi, maybe the 1st? washington statue went down in portland last nite.
Last edited by wgdsr on Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

Kismet wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:42 am

NUANCE is dead in 2020 America. BOTH sides of any debate.
Good luck with this.
i couldnt agree any more, kis.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Yup, if we truly want to reduce violence and incarceration, we need to belly up to this issue and decriminalize drug usage. Make it a public health issue and dramatically increase mental health, nutrition, etc.

Save a ton of money and build a far more just society in the process.

And I'm speaking as one who has never taken an illegal substance, but whose family has had lots of abuse of substances, alcoholism in particular but also an opiod related death.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:46 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: https://www.prisonpolicy.org/blog/2017/04/10/wages/

No joke. CCA (corrections corp of America) has killed it for years.

I’m addition, banks generally buy a lot of municipal bonds for their liquidity/securities book, often what’s called General Obligation bonds which carry the full faith and taxing authority of said community (and count as 1/5 of an asset with the regulators) otherwise called Ad Valorem. Rock solid. They’ll also buy muni bonds backed by certain revenues (1/2 and asset in regulatory calculations) but typically limit it to essential services, which for most of the universe is utilities and water&sewer fee bonds. However, I’ve seen a handful in doing Capitala raises that own prison revenue bonds and felt they were essential services - “what are they going to do, foreclose, build condos and let the prisoners run free”.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:11 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:46 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: https://www.prisonpolicy.org/blog/2017/04/10/wages/

No joke. CCA (corrections corp of America) has killed it for years.

I’m addition, banks generally buy a lot of municipal bonds for their liquidity/securities book, often what’s called General Obligation bonds which carry the full faith and taxing authority of said community (and count as 1/5 of an asset with the regulators) otherwise called Ad Valorem. Rock solid. They’ll also buy muni bonds backed by certain revenues (1/2 and asset in regulatory calculations) but typically limit it to essential services, which for most of the universe is utilities and water&sewer fee bonds. However, I’ve seen a handful in doing Capitala raises that own prison revenue bonds and felt they were essential services - “what are they going to do, foreclose, build condos and let the prisoners run free”.
Yep. They don’t call them RANs for nothing!
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:52 am

on the side of each of these perspectives. and wash & jeff the good and the bad should always both be examined.

This Portland? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portlandia_(TV_series)

I don’t think people take Portland seriously. My nephew graduated in 2019 from a school called Linfield maybe 45min away and niece is at a school called a Lewis & Clark and have seen the impact on Portland even on kids who grew up in the Bay Area (my nephew told me last summer that he realized as he got out in life more how much of a bubble the Bay Area is telling me he used to believe half the country’s population was LGTBQ and now understands it’s a good bit smaller than that). And they both went to a nice private hs called Bentley thanks to the largesse of my brother in laws brother (recently retired seniors managing partner of a labor law firm in Boston called Ropes Grey) not just running around SF all childhood.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:05 pm
Yup, if we truly want to reduce violence and incarceration, we need to belly up to this issue and decriminalize drug usage. Make it a public health issue and dramatically increase mental health, nutrition, etc.

Save a ton of money and build a far more just society in the process.

And I'm speaking as one who has never taken an illegal substance, but whose family has had lots of abuse of substances, alcoholism in particular but also an opiod related death.
Really terrific podcast w the author of a book on psychedelic treatment if anyone is interested. Host is a generally “right” leaning Economics professor at George Mason by the name Russ Roberts.

https://www.econtalk.org/michael-pollan ... your-mind/
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:32 amAs someone wisely said on my Twitter feed - people like Washington and Jefferson, while being slaveholders helped to establish a framework for their eventual freedom. They set up a philosophy that inevitably led to the conclusion that slavery was wrong.
It's a great point. More important than what you're currently doing is what you aspire to do and, eventually, accomplish. Even if what you accomplish is creating a foundation for succeeding generations. This is very american. The importance of aspirations.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:17 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:52 am

This Portland? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portlandia_(TV_series)

I don’t think people take Portland seriously. My nephew graduated in 2019 from a school called Linfield maybe 45min away and niece is at a school called a Lewis & Clark and have seen the impact on Portland even on kids who grew up in the Bay Area (my nephew told me last summer that he realized as he got out in life more how much of a bubble the Bay Area is telling me he used to believe half the country’s population was LGTBQ and now understands it’s a good bit smaller than that). And they both went to a nice private hs called Bentley thanks to the largesse of my brother in laws brother (recently retired seniors managing partner of a labor law firm in Boston called Ropes Grey) not just running around SF all childhood.
That wasn’t a state sponsored decision in Portland was it? Protesters damaging public property. Probably a crime that should be enforced if the perpetrators can be identified. Not sure it reflects a policy decision. I don’t understand this Mississippi flag using the confederate flag. It can’t be a historical / culture remnant of Mississippi because it wasn’t the “pre-war” flag. Seems to have been making a political statement. This is the United States of America. Use an American flag...not the flag of people that fought against this country. Where are all the folks that killed Kaepernick for kneeling? You know what’s offensive to the USA flag? The confederate flag.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Go to: Tupelo, Jackson, Hattiesburg, Biloxi, etc and you’ll understand why. Have met some incredibly decent people in the state but you feel something off in the air simply crossing the border from AL to MS.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Minnesota Twins remove statue of former owner Calvin Griffith from outside Target Field

https://www.startribune.com/twins-remov ... 571365382/

"While we acknowledge the prominent role Calvin Griffith played in our history, we cannot remain silent and continue ignoring the racist comments he made in Waseca in 1978," the team said in a statement. "His disparaging words displayed a blatant intolerance and disregard for the Black community that are the antithesis of what the Minnesota Twins stand for and value."

I well remember when he said he was glad to move the Washington Senators team to the Twinkie cities because it was a land of "good, hard working white people".
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
njbill

Post by njbill »

Rolfe waived his court appearance today. This means he didn’t ask for bond and will remain in jail. Not sure about this, but I presume he has a right to request bond at a later time. Perhaps he and his lawyer are waiting for things to calm down. Or perhaps they are concerned for his safety were he to be released into the community.

The DA has announced they will not seek the death penalty. He also said the case may not go before a grand jury until January.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:26 pm
I'm glad we are all onboard that for-profit prisons are inhumane, grotesque, and antithetical to America. That is good news., I take agreement when I can find it. And if Republicans have promoted them, shame on the Republican Party. I would tell you that for-profit prisons proliferated under Clinton, but that's ancient history the way our days roll buy now lol.
Anyone here think it is a coincidence that the Clinton's came out of Arkansas and that the most powerful family in the state happens to also own a regional investment bank that was the leading underwriter of private prison securities in the country....?

I am sure there is nothing to see there ..... nothing at all.....

Isn't it funny that while the lower classes get shafted, the extremely wealthy and their politician puppets keep getting richer?

And isn't it hilarious that when the working classes start figuring out that they are getting the shaft from globalism, exported slavery, and Versailles like wealth disparity and start working together - we suddenly have a borderline race-war on our hands?
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

HooDat wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:45 pm
I'm glad we are all onboard that for-profit prisons are inhumane, grotesque, and antithetical to America. That is good news., I take agreement when I can find it. And if Republicans have promoted them, shame on the Republican Party. I would tell you that for-profit prisons proliferated under Clinton, but that's ancient history the way our days roll buy now lol.
Anyone here think it is a coincidence that the Clinton's came out of Arkansas and that the most powerful family in the state happens to also own a regional investment bank that was the leading underwriter of private prison securities in the country....?

Isn't it funny that while the lower classes get shafted, the extremely wealthy and their politician puppets keep getting richer?

And isn't it hilarious that when the working classes start figuring out that they are getting the shaft from globalism, exported slavery, and Versailles like wealth disparity and start working together - we suddenly have a borderline race-war on our hands?
yes yes and yes!!!

spot on.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Typical Lax Dad

HooDat wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:45 pm

+1

It’s ruling class, gentry and peasants. Keep the peasants fighting over scraps.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”