NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
pcowlax

Re: NESCAC 2020

Post by pcowlax »

There are no rules that I know of specifically relating to in conference transfers. You don’t have to sit out a year or something like you often have to do in D1 football. That said, you can’t just transfer willie nillie like you can in football, the schools don’t work that way in terms of admissions and the uhm, flexibility, that football has. They would still have to apply to transfer in the normal time frames. As someone else said, really only Tufts (with very minor exceptions) would be able to take 5th years. I think we might see a few transfers within NESCAC but not many.
jerseyman

Post by jerseyman »

Maybe it’s just me, I can’t imagine that Amherst will have a flood of kids looking to leave because of the recent events affecting the lacrosse program. You are at Amherst. If you are smart enough to get into a NESCAC, I assume you picked the school for the school, and not for the lacrosse. Not to mention, transferring from Amherst to say, Williams or Tufts, is NOT the same as transferring from Salisbury to CNU, or Utah to Syracuse. Let’s get real. If you don’t have the grades to get into Williams or Tufts as a transfer, I can’t imagine lacrosse is going to make a difference.
nehslaxfan

Post by nehslaxfan »

Why couldn’t someone at Amherst who loves lacrosse and wants to compete transfer to Williams, Midddlebury, Tufts or Wesleyan etc? While I agree it is not all about lacrosse if you can go to a great school and have a great lacrosse experience why not go for it?
Patlaxer

Post by Patlaxer »

In over 20 years of watching NESCAC lacrosse I can’t remember a single significant player switching schools.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

We’re ignoring the very incident that caused Amherst lacrosse’s current penalties. For them to transfer somewhere else, somewhere else will have to want them.

In their press release, the school cited a failure of the team as a whole to voluntarily identify the individuals involved, and a team wide culture that supported the alleged behavior. (Be that true or false)

What institution in their right mind would bring a part of that in, let alone do it before they’ve “served their sentence”? (GPAs and Shooting%s be damned)

This would be like navigating a minefield. Soak that in through the eyes of a University President.
jerseyman wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:22 pm transferring from Amherst to say, Williams or Tufts, is NOT the same as transferring from Salisbury to CNU, or Utah to Syracuse. Let’s get real. If you don’t have the grades to get into Williams or Tufts as a transfer, I can’t imagine lacrosse is going to make a difference.
For those that need it said, the schools of the NESCAC are the elite, but they’re not the only schools with any sort of standards. This is DIII lacrosse we’re talking about here, not some top flight DI football/basketball program. A basket weaving major who never shows for class at school X isn’t going to get a pass getting in to school Y on account of his faceoff percentage. No need to put down others to elevate yourself.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

DeepPocket obviously hasn’t done his homework on the situation as the remainder of the team was exonerated by both the President and the Black Student Union. Regardless, this one still has legs:

https://www.recorder.com/Keeping-Score- ... s-34512084
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Hate to have to be the one to say it but, tainted is tainted. Especially today. Especially through the eyes of institutions of higher learning. (Not my opinion, just my observation)

You are correct in that I don’t have all the info. I did google “Amherst lacrosse exonerated” just now. I got nothing but stories about the incident. I’m not saying your wrong. I’m saying it’s an all to familiar case of “accused on the front page, exonerated on the back page” and that right there is prime example of the taint that lingers.

I heard about the incident without doing homework. I heard nothing about the exoneration. I actually follow DIII lacrosse, Imagine I’m a dean who doesn’t.

PS - If they’re exonerated, are next years post season punishments still being imposed? :?:
Last edited by DeepPocket on Sat May 30, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Lax3 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:55 pm DeepPocket obviously hasn’t done his homework on the situation as the remainder of the team was exonerated by both the President and the Black Student Union. Regardless, this one still has legs:

https://www.recorder.com/Keeping-Score- ... s-34512084
"Rashad Devoe is making his seventh coaching stop in 10 years, most recently as head coach at Hampton (Va.) University. During a recent YouTube interview, the 45-year-old native of upstate New York was asked when he picked up his first lacrosse stick. “I was a basketball guy,” he replied."

:?
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

smoova wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:08 pm During a recent YouTube interview, the 45-year-old native of upstate New York was asked when he picked up his first lacrosse stick. “I was a basketball guy,” he replied."

Erin Quinn never played lacrosse. Did a pretty decent job coaching it.
SidelineHorn

Post by SidelineHorn »

Patlaxer wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:51 am In over 20 years of watching NESCAC lacrosse I can’t remember a single significant player switching schools.
Only guy who comes to mind is Ave Cook...Best defenseman at Bates and finished up at Tufts.
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:49 pm
smoova wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:08 pm During a recent YouTube interview, the 45-year-old native of upstate New York was asked when he picked up his first lacrosse stick. “I was a basketball guy,” he replied."

Erin Quinn never played lacrosse. Did a pretty decent job coaching it.
Mike Daly falls into that category as well.
nehslaxfan

Post by nehslaxfan »

SidelineHorn wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:53 pm
Patlaxer wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:51 am In over 20 years of watching NESCAC lacrosse I can’t remember a single significant player switching schools.
Only guy who comes to mind is Ave Cook...Best defenseman at Bates and finished up at Tufts.

But in the twenty years of watching the conference have you ever seen a situation quite like this?
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

I’m a former NESCAC player and current friend of an Amherst father. My understanding is that current players had nothing at all to do with any of the actions that have brought about punishment by the school, as has been verified by many, including Black Student Union. The schools position is that, as teammates, they all are accountable for the actions, speech and thoughts of each other at all times, and so must be punished. Absolutely absurd, even more so given the incident took place in the room of the seniors involved, with no other teammates around who could have intervened. Current and incoming kids are are also very good lacrosse players who chose Amherst in large part because of JT, because of teams national competitiveness, and chance for continued success in NCAAs. School has absolutely betrayed the kids, disrespected them, shown no loyalty, has made them black sheep among the community, and now hired a coach clearly not intent nor qualified toward national lacrosse prominence. In one year, the team will have gone from a national runner-up to a hollow puppet of administration’s goals. Would not surprise me at all if there were a mass exodus of current and committed players. These guys are very smart, very good, and hopefully if they sought it would have chances elsewhere, at a place that would value them as individuals and their commitment to the sport.
Patlaxer

Post by Patlaxer »

1 Not happening. There will not be a “massive exodus” of Amherst players.
2 Not happening. There will not be large numbers of graduated NESCAC players enrolling as grad students to get to play another year of lacrosse. These kids have NESCAC degrees and will begin to go conquer the world.
3 Will happen. Amherst lacrosse will survive and be a lot more competitive then people on this forum believe.
a. There exists a core of talented underclassmen recruited by JT who will stay
b. An Amherst degree is a ticket to success in life and quality players, as with other NESCAC schools, will want to play there.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Patlaxer wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:04 am 1 Not happening. There will not be a “massive exodus” of Amherst players.
2 Not happening. There will not be large numbers of graduated NESCAC players enrolling as grad students to get to play another year of lacrosse. These kids have NESCAC degrees and will begin to go conquer the world.
3 Will happen. Amherst lacrosse will survive and be a lot more competitive then people on this forum believe.
a. There exists a core of talented underclassmen recruited by JT who will stay
b. An Amherst degree is a ticket to success in life and quality players, as with other NESCAC schools, will want to play there.
Agree with every statement above, except first line in # 3
lilax

Post by lilax »

JT was an excellent recruiter, but Devoe will have to develop those new recruits and I think you'll see Amherst take a step back not because of coaching, but just a changing of the guard. You can't have success in the NESCAC with freshman and sophomores.

Amherst has sustained heavy graduation losses over the last 2 years. Look at their scoring in the 4 games played in 2020. 5/6 Leading scorers were seniors.

No more of the All NESCAC attack line of Coffey, Wolf or Minicus. Some great midfielders are gone in Soleberg, Norton, Mahon, Herrick and Norton. Their transition game takes a huge hit with losses of McAfee, Mallette and Lair. Castro was a 3 year starting defenseman and Finazzo was an AA FOGO when he was healthy. Thats a lot of awards and accolades graduating.

My only concern is, the jury is still out on if Coach Devoe can develop players. With his constant movement, it is tough to identify if teams truly got better under his coaching.

By all accounts he is a great guy and I hope it works out for him.
bighoss74

Post by bighoss74 »

Chlastawa to Fairfield. Stags are a dark horse out of the CAA next year if Beckwith returns for a 5th year.
Patlaxer

Post by Patlaxer »

I wasn’t suggesting that Amherst would win the NESCAC next year. I was suggesting that the returning team would be more competitive then posters on this forum seem to suggest. I personally predict they will be a midlevel NESCAC team and win their share of games. Even with a new unproven coach, there is enough talent on the returning roster to be competitive.
Last edited by Patlaxer on Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
overandback

Post by overandback »

PicLax wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:24 am I’m a former NESCAC player and current friend of an Amherst father. My understanding is that current players had nothing at all to do with any of the actions that have brought about punishment by the school, as has been verified by many, including Black Student Union. The schools position is that, as teammates, they all are accountable for the actions, speech and thoughts of each other at all times, and so must be punished. Absolutely absurd, even more so given the incident took place in the room of the seniors involved, with no other teammates around who could have intervened. Current and incoming kids are are also very good lacrosse players who chose Amherst in large part because of JT, because of teams national competitiveness, and chance for continued success in NCAAs. School has absolutely betrayed the kids, disrespected them, shown no loyalty, has made them black sheep among the community, and now hired a coach clearly not intent nor qualified toward national lacrosse prominence. In one year, the team will have gone from a national runner-up to a hollow puppet of administration’s goals. Would not surprise me at all if there were a mass exodus of current and committed players. These guys are very smart, very good, and hopefully if they sought it would have chances elsewhere, at a place that would value them as individuals and their commitment to the sport.

I feel extra badly for Amherst lax players for many of the reasons you mention. In retrospect it was inevitable and the right thing to do, but what sticks with me is how quickly the college pulled the plug on Spring term. They are in the business of educating students and deserted their mission weeks ahead of colleges in NYC and other hot spots early on. I wonder if that decision had anything to do with the lacrosse incident...or the upcoming election?
viper

Post by viper »

DeepPocket wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:59 pm Hate to have to be the one to say it but, tainted is tainted. Especially today. Especially through the eyes of institutions of higher learning. (Not my opinion, just my observation)

You are correct in that I don’t have all the info. I did google “Amherst lacrosse exonerated” just now. I got nothing but stories about the incident. I’m not saying your wrong. I’m saying it’s an all to familiar case of “accused on the front page, exonerated on the back page” and that right there is prime example of the taint that lingers.

I heard about the incident without doing homework. I heard nothing about the exoneration. I actually follow DIII lacrosse, Imagine I’m a dean who doesn’t.

PS - If they’re exonerated, are next years post season punishments still being imposed? :?:
Dan Annino has been hired to the staff at Johns Hopkins. Not bad for a guy who has been as you say "tainted".

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”