Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Mightyjoe

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Mightyjoe »

jhu06 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:01 pm podcast was pretty good recap of what we've talked about here for awhile. I was mildly surprised foy/dixon raised the issue of d3/lack of admin support again w/reporting to back up the concerns among coaches/alumni. foy working hard on trolling us that Hopkins isn't a big part of the game anymore. xanders clearly reads this forum and thinks we're (me) are too hard on players. xanders thinks the present and future of Hopkins lacks depth. Petro wasn't very good in recent years at finding/developing overachieving fraser types.

kind of surprised grant was able to find a hopkins hat in a brick and mortar store out there.
Xander is no journalist. He looks for Qs from his peers, he says nothing and repeats everyone. His biggest agenda on that cast was to defend the thought that he was the one that started the BS of Hopkins going to D3.

He's a joke :lol:
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:57 pm
MusaCyanocitta wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:15 pm let us not forget that they fired one of the three greatest defensemen ever. Great player != great coach.
Not a bad point - they also parted ways - can you fire a volunteer? - with the second greatest goalie ever (IMO)
I hope you are thinking about Piggy and not Tillman Johnson in the mud bowl.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Always Piggy - no goalie has a better CV

I had a hard time concentrating on the podcast. I thought Foy asked some decent questions and I had no real problem with MD's answers but TX did seem to repeat some thoughts from this forum. I still - even though I am an alum - don't get this criticality of Koesterer being a former Hopkins player and how important that is. He's going to do what to help PM in that regard? Make sure the memorial war flags are on back of the goal? What else - sing "To Win"? "Johhnie Hopkins on to Victory?" I think Messrs Cordish, Townsend, Cowan etc. are going to make themselves known to PM all by themselves. Who exactly does PM need to get introduced to? Cornell Willis? Will PM not catch a banana? I don't get it. It isn't like the Sowell situation @ Navy where - even if you didn't go to an academy - you have to "get" what life choices these people have signed up for and what they really value. I - more than most - understand and have been around for what has made Hopkins lacrosse unique and historically significant but face it - it is changing - the students don't care anymore for the most part and the alums/fans can watch on TV.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

JHU Men’s Lacrosse tweeted:

“ALERT - @HopkinsSports to host Q&A with mlax coach Peter Milliman, air 2005 NCAA Championship game on May 16... details here - https://hopkinssports.com/news/2020/5/1 ... oming.aspx
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:14 pm Always Piggy - no goalie has a better CV

I had a hard time concentrating on the podcast. I thought Foy asked some decent questions and I had no real problem with MD's answers but TX did seem to repeat some thoughts from this forum. I still - even though I am an alum - don't get this criticality of Koesterer being a former Hopkins player and how important that is. He's going to do what to help PM in that regard? Make sure the memorial war flags are on back of the goal? What else - sing "To Win"? "Johhnie Hopkins on to Victory?" I think Messrs Cordish, Townsend, Cowan etc. are going to make themselves known to PM all by themselves. Who exactly does PM need to get introduced to? Cornell Willis? Will PM not catch a banana? I don't get it. It isn't like the Sowell situation @ Navy where - even if you didn't go to an academy - you have to "get" what life choices these people have signed up for and what they really value. I - more than most - understand and have been around for what has made Hopkins lacrosse unique and historically significant but face it - it is changing - the students don't care anymore for the most part and the alums/fans can watch on TV.
I’m not part of the program and even I know there is a significant history and protocols about how Hopkins conducts the program off the field with regards to it’s players. It is 100 plus years of tradition that the alumni and players would not want to see disappear because the new coach simply wasn’t aware. Having JK helps retain some of the traditions and rites of passage players go through and yes it’s more than just catching a banana.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

You don't want the alums to be too upset for a number of reasons—you need them saying good things about the program and the coaches to recruits, families of recruits, etc. You need them happy to represent the school in public, you want them hanging around the Cordish Center when recruits visit, attending games, showing up for alumni weekend, and, yes, donating. I wouldn't assume that a lot of the alum donors would just continue giving their time and money in the way that they had been if they felt left out of the process entirely. A head coach has to be a bit of a politician...there are contingencies to please in a college program. He doesn't need the FanLax vote but he'd be stupid not to want the support of guys like Rabil, Harrison, Riordan, Dixon, Zim, and, yes, Quint K. You want QK saying positive/hopeful things about the team on ESPNU.

Having said all that—OF COURSE you don't hire an alum solely for the sake of it if he's not up to par as a coach. Luckily Koesterer was an excellent pick regardless. For my money he's one of the best young defensive assistants in the country and he just so happens to be an alum.

In other news: Jack Rapine and Matt Hubler were both (somewhat unexpectedly) drafted to the PLL tonight. Jim Stagnitta's Whipsnakes took Hubler with the last pick in the draft.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

With the 14th pick the lacrosse world is reminded that nepotism is alive and well in the lacrosse world. Hubler was a serviceable player but to suggest he was in the top 14 graduating seniors is a bit of a reach.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:04 pm You don't want the alums to be too upset for a number of reasons—you need them saying good things about the program and the coaches to recruits, families of recruits, etc. You need them happy to represent the school in public, you want them hanging around the Cordish Center when recruits visit, attending games, showing up for alumni weekend, and, yes, donating. I wouldn't assume that a lot of the alum donors would just continue giving their time and money in the way that they had been if they felt left out of the process entirely. A head coach has to be a bit of a politician...there are contingencies to please in a college program. He doesn't need the FanLax vote but he'd be stupid not to want the support of guys like Rabil, Harrison, Riordan, Dixon, Zim, and, yes, Quint K. You want QK saying positive/hopeful things about the team on ESPNU.
No argument except you could post that about ANY program
flalax22 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:47 pm there is a significant history and protocols about how Hopkins conducts the program off the field with regards to it’s players. It is 100 plus years of tradition that the alumni and players would not want to see disappear because the new coach simply wasn’t aware.
Protocols? Is this lacrosse or an episode of 24? Dammit Chloe!! Maybe Koesterer can open up a socket for Milliman. I knew and know some of the greatest players in Hopkins history - I understand there is tradition and historical significance of the sport to the school - that's why it's the only DI sport. I was there for 4 of the 9 year consecutive finals appearances. I just can't quite figure out why a non alum couldn't negotiate this pressure packed minefield and understand tradition without the help of someone who went there and someone who's been gone for 8-9 years. Again, this tradition and protocol packed arena had less than 10 people on the conference call to introduce the new coach and almost half of them were from Inside Lacrosse. It's not a big deal except everyone mentions it and no one can give good concrete examples of what it means. No alums would give a flying leap about whether another alum was on the sidelines if the Jays went 12-4 every year and won a NC or two. Cordish Center would be no less crowded. Winning cures all ills.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:04 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:04 pm You don't want the alums to be too upset for a number of reasons—you need them saying good things about the program and the coaches to recruits, families of recruits, etc. You need them happy to represent the school in public, you want them hanging around the Cordish Center when recruits visit, attending games, showing up for alumni weekend, and, yes, donating. I wouldn't assume that a lot of the alum donors would just continue giving their time and money in the way that they had been if they felt left out of the process entirely. A head coach has to be a bit of a politician...there are contingencies to please in a college program. He doesn't need the FanLax vote but he'd be stupid not to want the support of guys like Rabil, Harrison, Riordan, Dixon, Zim, and, yes, Quint K. You want QK saying positive/hopeful things about the team on ESPNU.
No argument except you could post that about ANY program
flalax22 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:47 pm there is a significant history and protocols about how Hopkins conducts the program off the field with regards to it’s players. It is 100 plus years of tradition that the alumni and players would not want to see disappear because the new coach simply wasn’t aware.
Protocols? Is this lacrosse or an episode of 24? Dammit Chloe!! Maybe Koesterer can open up a socket for Milliman. I knew and know some of the greatest players in Hopkins history - I understand there is tradition and historical significance of the sport to the school - that's why it's the only DI sport. I was there for 4 of the 9 year consecutive finals appearances. I just can't quite figure out why a non alum couldn't negotiate this pressure packed minefield and understand tradition without the help of someone who went there and someone who's been gone for 8-9 years. Again, this tradition and protocol packed arena had less than 10 people on the conference call to introduce the new coach and almost half of them were from Inside Lacrosse. It's not a big deal except everyone mentions it and no one can give good concrete examples of what it means. No alums would give a flying leap about whether another alum was on the sidelines if the Jays went 12-4 every year and won a NC or two. Cordish Center would be no less crowded. Winning cures all ills.
And there are a lot of programs with alums as either HC or assistants. Duke, Maryland, Cuse, Cornell, Loyola, Carolina, all big programs with alums as either their HC or have assistants who are alums. Some of it is due to the relatively incestuous and "everybody knows everybody" nature of lacrosse world coaching, but as HF16 pointed out, if you have a good coach who's an alum, it helps smooth things over, placates people who's support and $ you want, and makes everyone a bit happier.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

MusaCyanocitta wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:15 pm
nyjay wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:18 am ...
It remains sad that Petro isn't the head coach and that he couldn't pull out of the slide. I wish it didn't have to happen. But it did. And the program is in much better shape now than it was 6 weeks ago.
Or so we hope. But we have absolutely no evidence that it's true.

And for those of you idjits who are excited about JGJR just because he was a terrific player, let us not forget that they fired one of the three greatest defensemen ever. Great player != great coach.
I think there's empirical evidence that Milliman and Koesterer can coach. Cornell was #2 this year in Scoring Offense in 2020, while UMBC was #6 in Scoring Defense. Last I checked, scoring is what determines the outcomes of games. Hop was #54 is Scoring Defense while #52 in Scoring Offense. Milliman and Koesterer would certainly appear to be an upgrade.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Rapine drafted? I thought all he did was eat cookies and ice cream. He couldn’t play at JHU this year but gets drafted to the PLL, makes sense.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:56 am
MusaCyanocitta wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:15 pm
nyjay wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:18 am ...
It remains sad that Petro isn't the head coach and that he couldn't pull out of the slide. I wish it didn't have to happen. But it did. And the program is in much better shape now than it was 6 weeks ago.
Or so we hope. But we have absolutely no evidence that it's true.

And for those of you idjits who are excited about JGJR just because he was a terrific player, let us not forget that they fired one of the three greatest defensemen ever. Great player != great coach.
I think there's empirical evidence that Milliman and Koesterer can coach. Cornell was #2 this year in Scoring Offense in 2020, while UMBC was #6 in Scoring Defense. Last I checked, scoring is what determines the outcomes of games. Hop was #54 is Scoring Defense while #52 in Scoring Offense. Milliman and Koesterer would certainly appear to be an upgrade.
I think there is more than enough evidence that Koesterer knows what he's doing but you do have to account for strength of schedule. The Jays played three top five offenses in 2020 in Princeton, North Carolina, and Syracuse, while UMBC played only one top 10 team (Georgetown) and that was the game their defense didn't fare particularly well—though admittedly it did hold the Hoyas 2.5 goals below their season average.

We know that great players don't necessarily make great coaches but I think JGJR was likely hired for many obvious reasons outside of his lacrosse acumen: the big one that comes to mind starts with an R and rhymes with "beruiting." I wouldn't be surprised if Milliman ultimately still calls the shots on offense. Don't think it's going to be a scenario like how Petro mostly gave Benson free reign to do whatever he wanted. It'll probably be a close collaboration. Interested to see how that plays out. JGJR is the legend but Milliman's Cornell offenses were ridiculous, so surely he'll have some input on scheme/pace/style/etc.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Grant had a virtual meeting with his new players on Monday night, but had to make a quick stop at a local apparel store first.

“I snuck out today, put on my mask and bought a Johns Hopkins hat,” Grant Jr. said while referencing a recent trip to the store.

“I wanted to have it for my call with the guys tonight. Obviously, 24 hours ago, I didn’t have this job, so I would have no reason to have this stuff otherwise,” he joked.

Hmmmmmmmm.....I don't know about that quote. Jr's not exactly expressing the kind of reverence and bowing down to Hopkins that I would expect from a new hire, especially an outsider. "That stuff"? That stuff! He might as well have said, "that woman". Milliman has been the same way in his interviews. I think they're sandbagging. I think I'm getting a Charlie/Maverick here. I think they just don't want everyone to know they've fallen for us....

Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:36 am
I think there is more than enough evidence that Koesterer knows what he's doing but you do have to account for strength of schedule. The Jays played three top five offenses in 2020 in Princeton, North Carolina, and Syracuse, while UMBC played only one top 10 team (Georgetown) and that was the game their defense didn't fare particularly well—though admittedly it did hold the Hoyas 2.5 goals below their season average.
How many UA AAs does UMBC have on their roster? Hopkins is loaded with them.
Given the talent level compared to strength of schedule I would say you can make a good argument that JAMO is getting more out of less while the JAYS were getting less out of more this past season.

A great player can teach skills, like shooting, but I also feel like we're going to see a more wide open free wheeling offense. I like the Canadian influence and style of play. An uptempo offense fueled by good FOs and a solid, even if unspectacular, defense can win games in the shot clock era. Even if they don't win big they'll at least be fun to watch.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Second Black Monday quote about 2/3 of way down Re: Top Gun

https://tvline.com/gallery/greys-anatom ... man-quote/
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:40 am
Grant had a virtual meeting with his new players on Monday night, but had to make a quick stop at a local apparel store first.

“I snuck out today, put on my mask and bought a Johns Hopkins hat,” Grant Jr. said while referencing a recent trip to the store.

“I wanted to have it for my call with the guys tonight. Obviously, 24 hours ago, I didn’t have this job, so I would have no reason to have this stuff otherwise,” he joked.

Hmmmmmmmm.....I don't know about that quote. Jr's not exactly expressing the kind of reverence and bowing down to Hopkins that I would expect from a new hire, especially an outsider. "That stuff"? That stuff! He might as well have said, "that woman". Milliman has been the same way in his interviews. I think they're sandbagging. I think I'm getting a Charlie/Maverick here. I think they just don't want everyone to know they've fallen for us....

Pitstop, good stepping stone to Duke
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:45 am How many UA AAs does UMBC have on their roster? Hopkins is loaded with them.
Actually - on defense there are not many on Hopkins' roster and only 1 played. Rapine would have been another but I believe Reinson, Gomez and Marcille are the UA AAs on defense.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:06 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:45 am How many UA AAs does UMBC have on their roster? Hopkins is loaded with them.
Actually - on defense there are not many on Hopkins' roster and only 1 played. Rapine would have been another but I believe Reinson, Gomez and Marcille are the UA AAs on defense.
LOL Coaches get double, triple, ney quadruple negative points for running off their best defenseman just before the season started.
Hey, wasn't Rapine just drafted by the MLL?
That was a brilliant move by our former staff.
Were they trying to lose to get the number one draft pick or something?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:06 am
Giacalone was one too, though I guess it's still a little unclear if he's coming back next year. Scott Smith will probably be another one if they're still doing that this summer.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Feel like Milliman has been playing a little coy about his knowledge of Hopkins. Played pickup games with Nadelen as a kid. Coached Ranagan and Radziewicz on Indoor Team USA. Coached against Hopkins at Princeton, etc...

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”