Transfer Portal

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by jrn19 »

Sportin' Life wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:41 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:05 pm
AreaLax wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:35 pm Chris Jastrzembski twitter
Former Holy Cross FOGO Dan O’Connell is officially admitted at Duke, according to a source.
2nd for Duke. Hear more on the way
This one’s kinda confusing for me. I don’t think he’s better than the guys they’ve got tbh.
I don't know about that. Jordan Ginder took 167 of Duke's 233 FOs this season and had a .593 win %. O'Connell took 145 of HC's 158 FOs for a .662 win %. Level of competition should be factored in but O'Connell was the statistically stronger FOGO.
O’Connell had one game this year where he faced off against a FOGO or two FOGO’s better than 50%. Lehigh. Otherwise every one of his games he was going against a sub-50% FOGO. Ginder meanwhile went up against Stathakis, Gallagher, and Savio, who are all elite.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:36 pm hmm, if I understand your math, they have 4-5 transfers out each year, replaced with 4-5 transfers in.
Are there 5 other programs with that kind of movement?
3?
Are all of the out-flowing transfers landing at one or two or five schools? Obviously, no. Are all of the in-flowing transfers ending up at Maryland? Obviously, no.

Syracuse looks like it has a lot a guys leave and then takes big freshman classes (which probably is what leads to so many kids transferring out later). Ohio State takes a lot of transfers. I don't know if they have a lot of guys transfer out or just quit the game. Jacksonville markets itself as "Transfer U." Notre Dame takes grad students. Georgetown takes a lot of PG kids. Before COVID, many Ivies took in transfers (Ierlan, Gallagher, Burkinshaw, etc.). I don't know how many Ivy players transferred out. Taking out the 5th year Ivy and PL players this year, there are a lot of players on the market. They go somewhere, even if it's down a level or two. Anecdotally, it looks like the NEC is where a lot of the scout team-type players from the high major programs transfer to.

Ty Xanders could probably answer your question. He has the database and could easily sort columns to find out. I only really follow the ins and outs of Maryland, so I don't know which freshman get homesick or which scout team players from other programs leave.

In the end, I think this is all a distinction without difference. On a 45 person roster, there's always going to be some level of attrition. At the top levels, high ranked recruits enter every year, so there's unbelievable competition. Some kids want to play, so they leave. There's a ton of innuendo here around Maryland having a culture problem (or specific posters accusing Tills of being disingenuous, a flat out liar, or even abusive). Maybe there's a great YouTube conspiracy theory video out there explaining Tillman's diabolical deception.

In reality, Tillman simply manages his roster differently than some other coaches. Some might not replace departed transfers at all. Some might take large freshman classes to fill departed transfer spots. Some might take more walk-ons knowing that the bottom 5 spots on the roster will never see the field at all. Tills replaces his open spots with transfers. Probably helps project recruiting a little easier.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Let's not forget to mention the obvious advantage of convincing players at positions you don't necessarily need more of to transfer in: you deprive your rivals of the chance to land them. I'm sure Tills, Et Al. all have this in the back of their minds while they are advertising their respective programs to these transfers/recruits.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I'm not bothered by Marylands transfer stuff to be honest. Wins over top 5 terp teams at the end of seasons or b1g tournaments have saved 5-6 Hopkins seasons over the last 15 years. They've been a much easier foe to handle than loyola, duke and some other folks who've murdered our seasons. Just looking for a list of the guys transferring into maryland/from where and those leaving and where they went+how that compares to other schools. Tillman does it his way, and it seems to work. Not sure if danowski/the ivies/petro had the same academic ease to get kids in. There were some college hoops coaches back in the day I don't remember who, maybe huggins at cincy or something who were always great at getting juco kids to come in and help them.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Wheels, I wasn't actually being critical, it simply sounded like a much bigger rotation in and out of transfers than I'm aware of at many other schools. Lots of schools do some. Very few, at least to my memory, take in 5 in a single year.

May be a very different situation these next couple of years.

I agree that Syracuse brings in very large classes and a bunch drop or leave.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

jhu06 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 4:36 pm I'm not bothered by Marylands transfer stuff to be honest. Wins over top 5 terp teams at the end of seasons or b1g tournaments have saved 5-6 Hopkins seasons over the last 15 years. They've been a much easier foe to handle than loyola, duke and some other folks who've murdered our seasons. Just looking for a list of the guys transferring into maryland/from where and those leaving and where they went+how that compares to other schools. Tillman does it his way, and it seems to work. Not sure if danowski/the ivies/petro had the same academic ease to get kids in. There were some college hoops coaches back in the day I don't remember who, maybe huggins at cincy or something who were always great at getting juco kids to come in and help them.
Lefty Driesell probably got the odd JUCO to come in...or close to it
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu06 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 4:36 pm I'm not bothered by Marylands transfer stuff to be honest. Wins over top 5 terp teams at the end of seasons or b1g tournaments have saved 5-6 Hopkins seasons over the last 15 years. They've been a much easier foe to handle than loyola, duke and some other folks who've murdered our seasons. Just looking for a list of the guys transferring into maryland/from where and those leaving and where they went+how that compares to other schools. Tillman does it his way, and it seems to work. Not sure if danowski/the ivies/petro had the same academic ease to get kids in. There were some college hoops coaches back in the day I don't remember who, maybe huggins at cincy or something who were always great at getting juco kids to come in and help them.
Jerry Tarkanian at UNLV
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Mitch Wykoff, (Gettysburg, Defense) to Cuse.

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/12 ... 1426832386
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:20 pm Mitch Wykoff, (Gettysburg, Defense) to Cuse.

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/12 ... 1426832386
Nice get for Cuse.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Updating HopFan16's list

Albany - Davis Diamond (attack/midfield), Isaiah Skidders (attack), Teioshontathe McComber (attack)
Bellarmine - Morgan Macko (attack)
Boston University - Max Tetreault (FOGO)
Bryant - David DeMartino (defense)—>Trinity
Brown - Ryan Finlay (defense)
Bucknell - Will Yorke (attack), Connor Shears (defense), Hunter Newman (LSM), Grayson Burns (attack), Matt Fedorjaka (midfield)
Canisius - Cade Talbert (goalie)
Colgate - Griffin Brown (attack/midfield) —> Maryland, Nicky Petkevich (attack), Parker Baddley (LSM), John Donahue (defense), Cooper Belanger (midfield), Jesse Rosenblatt (attack)
Furman - Luke Majick (midfield), Alec van de Bovenkamp (goalie)x->OSU, Luke Muter (defense)
Hartford - Cullin Walsh (goalie)
Harvard - Myles Hamm (attack), Beau Botkiss (defense), Austin Madronic (attack)*, Nigel Andrews (midfield)
Hobart - Sam Lucchesi (goalie), PJ Delpha (defense), Eric Holden (attack)—>Maryland, Justin Scott (A/M)
Hampton - Ian Groom(FO)
Hofstra - Whit Stopak (attack), Ryan Kinnard (midfield), Eric Wenz (defense)—>OSU, Nick Williams (attack)
Holy Cross - Justin Lynskey (attack), Sean Mullaney (midfield), Dan O'Connell(FO)—>Duke
Hopkins - Jack Rapine (defense), Alex Gainey (goalie), Alex Concannon (midfield)
Lafayette - Beaudan Szuluk (defense)
Maryland - Dylan Pallonetti (attack/midfield)—>Stony Brook, Jack DeSantis (defense)—>OSU
Merrimack - Davis Cronin (FOGO), Charlie Bertrand (attack)
Michigan - Matt Trowbridge (goalie), Finn Goonan (LSM)
Mount St. Mary's - Evan Falkowski (midfield)
Notre Dame - Michael Farnish (Defense)
Ohio State - Josh Kirson (goalie), Christian Tomei (goalie) —>Jacksonville
Penn - Kyle Gallagher (FOGO)---> Notre Dame, Kyle Thornton (defense)--->Notre Dame
Penn State - Collin Almeida (Midfield), Brad Santore (Midfield)
Princeton - Michael Sowers (attack)—>Duke, Connor McCarthy (midfield), Phil Robertson (attack)
Providence - Sean Lahey (attack)
Richmond - Mick Burden (FO)
Robert Morris - Austin Popovich (midfield)
Rutger - Demetrius Stevenson (Midfield) —> Delaware; Zach Groff (goalie)
St. Bonaventure - John Kilcommons(attack)
St. John’s - Kyle McBride(LSM)
St. Joseph's - Mike Adler (goalie)
Syracuse - Jared Fernandez (LSM)—> Hopkins, Jacob Nelson (attack), Sean Donnelly(attack), Luke Strang (goalie), Andrew Kim (midfield), Justin Kim (midfield), David Lipka(midfield)
UMass - Matt Baugher (attack), Jack Geiger (Midfield)
UMass Lowell - Matt Murakami (goalie)
UMBC - Steven Cornwell (LSM)
Utah - Mac Costin (midfield), Liam Donnelly (goalie) —> Albany, Jimmy Perkins (A/M), Nick Hapney (defense)
Virginia - Xander Dickson (attack)
Vermont - Drew Lenkaitis (attack), Ben French (attack)
Wagner - Jake Garb (attack)
Yale - BJ Burlace (defense)—>MARYLAND; Jackson Morrill (attack)—>Denver, Lucas Cotler (midfield)—> Denver, Brian Ward (LSM)

* in the portal for the future 2023
Div 2/3
Gettysburg - Mitch Wykoff(Defense) —> Syracuse

Hopkins - Williams removed from the portal
Last edited by AreaLax on Mon May 11, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Former Holy Cross FOGO Dan O’Connell is officially admitted at Duke, according to a source.
This one’s kinda confusing for me. I don’t think he’s better than the guys they’ve got tbh.
O’Connell is a beast on the field and a high integrity teammate. He is a top protege of Joe Nardella, arguably the best FO coach in the country. Platooning is almost never a bad idea at FO. This helps prevent injuries and burnout while throwing confusing looks at the opposition. This is a great pick-up.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Can Opener wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:09 pm
O’Connell is a beast on the field and a high integrity teammate. He is a top protege of Joe Nardella, arguably the best FO coach in the country. Platooning is almost never a bad idea at FO. This helps prevent injuries and burnout while throwing confusing looks at the opposition. This is a great pick-up.
They already have a platoon though, which was my point. He may/probably is better than Stein, but I don't think he's better than Ginder. They already had two good guys. That's what made it a bit confusing from my perspective. If they had just had 1 and needed a 2nd, I'd get it.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

jrn19 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:18 pm
Can Opener wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:09 pm
They already have a platoon though, which was my point. He may/probably is better than Stein, but I don't think he's better than Ginder. They already had two good guys. That's what made it a bit confusing from my perspective. If they had just had 1 and needed a 2nd, I'd get it.
Probably not much different than UMd bringing in Holden and Brown. :idea:
Live Free or Die!
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

Looks like ol’ Dano is pulling out all the stops to get another natty. I guess his avalanche of top 5 recruits wasn’t creating enough of a slam dunk for him. Based on recent reports about Zion, coaches in Durham are all about winning by any means necessary. :lol:
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

why hofstra underclassman looking to transfer? PT?
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

Stopak is from Ohio and was hurt last year. Faced more competition for PT this year. Nice player, would love to see him return.

Kinnard is a senior, DNP much this year. Wenz is graduating. Williams is from Colorado, saw some time on EMO last year, but is behind Ryan Tierney on the depth chart.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

TX twitter
.@CuseMLAX redshirt junior David Lipka has entered the portal as a grad student, according to multiple sources. Lipka posted 24 points while on Syracuse's first midfield unit in 2019 and 3g/3a through five games on the second line this spring.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Surprised. Lipka is a solid player for a contender which Orange are. Better put a plug in that drain
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

stupefied wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:10 pm Surprised. Lipka is a solid player for a contender which Orange are. Better put a plug in that drain
He was a starter last year and got bumped down this year. Probably wants to try and see if he can start somewhere
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:28 pm
stupefied wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:10 pm Surprised. Lipka is a solid player for a contender which Orange are. Better put a plug in that drain
He was a starter last year and got bumped down this year. Probably wants to try and see if he can start somewhere
Has he heard of John Grant, Jr.?

Just wonderin’ ....

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”