Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nrthcrosslax

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by nrthcrosslax »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:04 pm Any chance Jack Rapine returns to Hopkins to play his final season?

DocBarrister :?:
No inside information or anything but ima say no
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I fully believe there's some talent on D, but not sure who exactly. My view is that the old staff's over prescriptive nature adversely affected the D. Even Foley (who's actually pretty good), rarely looked good in their schemes. The D looked the same the couple of years despite player turnover. D and Goalie play has to be better next year, I mean, it can't really be that much worse.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I was virtually certain Calnan was going to start on D this year based on what I heard about the preseason and then what I saw with my own eyes in the Villanova scrimmage. Lyne came somewhat out of left field. He had been hurt for what felt like the 10th time and was not mentioned in any of the offseason reports from IL or anywhere else.

There are talented poles on this team and in the incoming class. Fernandez helps. Koesterer will have pieces to work with but it's definitely a project. I must say I kind of like the whole "Killer Bees" mantra the UMBC defense played with—I don't care what they call themselves as long as they play well together.

I'm still curious about Mike Gomez—he had an excellent reputation as a defender coming out of Long Island but has not sniffed the field through 1.5 seasons.

And yes, we need another SSDM or two. I wonder if Chambers will return to the team next year. Haven't heard anything about that.
Laxsmitty

Post by Laxsmitty »

I counted the roster it totals 45 kids + 18 incoming freshmen + 1 transfer to date = 64 kids. Last year some of the kids had to share lockers. Isn't there a rule as to how many kids can travel to an away game? I recall someone once saying it was 40? That is a big roster with a lot of kids doing nothing during practice (and games) as only your starters and second line really get any practice time. Will be interesting to see how staff handles such a big roster.

Anyone think that the coach will come in and give everyone the chance to show what they can do or does he stick with the same starters who have been less than stellar the past few years? Keep Epstein as starter is easy but what about everyone one else? Wide open tryout?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

64 guys. that's amazing.
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

geez enough with the hop
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Laxsmitty wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:37 pm I counted the roster it totals 45 kids + 18 incoming freshmen + 1 transfer to date = 64 kids. Last year some of the kids had to share lockers. Isn't there a rule as to how many kids can travel to an away game? I recall someone once saying it was 40? That is a big roster with a lot of kids doing nothing during practice (and games) as only your starters and second line really get any practice time. Will be interesting to see how staff handles such a big roster.

Anyone think that the coach will come in and give everyone the chance to show what they can do or does he stick with the same starters who have been less than stellar the past few years? Keep Epstein as starter is easy but what about everyone one else? Wide open tryout?
If PM doesn’t follow the Lars Tiffany model on how to take over a program he should have his head examined. Open try outs, releases and new blood seeing the field paid off with a National Championship quickly.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

When he took over as HC at Cornell, PM was not afraid to move personnel as needed to maximize the team's potential (in his view of course). One starting attack was switched to SSDM, other starters became backups. The SSDM convert did a credible job in that role for the next 2 years. PM's mantra of "50 man mission" kept everyone on track (as far as I could tell as a distant observer). Of course for Hop the mantra might need to be changed to "70 man mission" ...
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Truth is, no one knows what Epstein’s mobility looks like.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

hofpride wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:31 pm geez enough with the hop
geez enough with the hof
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

flalax22 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:02 pm
Laxsmitty wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:37 pm I counted the roster it totals 45 kids + 18 incoming freshmen + 1 transfer to date = 64 kids. Last year some of the kids had to share lockers. Isn't there a rule as to how many kids can travel to an away game? I recall someone once saying it was 40? That is a big roster with a lot of kids doing nothing during practice (and games) as only your starters and second line really get any practice time. Will be interesting to see how staff handles such a big roster.

If PM doesn’t follow the Lars Tiffany model on how to take over a program he should have his head examined. Open try outs, releases and new blood seeing the field paid off with a National Championship quickly.
I mean so did inheriting a roster/recruiting classes with Matt Moore, Michael Kraus, Dox Aitken, Ian Laviano, Ryan Conrad, Jared Conners, etc.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

the number is awful-we know what WOMBAT would prefer, but Hopkins is heavily reliant on foreign students whose fall might not be guaranteed at this point and a lot of schools are worried about kids coming back or switching to more affordable schools so admissions might be ok w/the guaranteed spots. Need that $.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:53 pm

I mean so did inheriting a roster/recruiting classes with Matt Moore, Michael Kraus, Dox Aitken, Ian Laviano, Ryan Conrad, Jared Conners, etc.
Amen jrn19. And may not have even taken that team to the final four if the refs didn’t give them a phantom pipe goal
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:47 pm Truth is, no one knows what Epstein’s mobility looks like.
He should be fine by 2021 unless there is a setback. He may not play much in the fall—but then again, there may not BE a fall ball.

Knowing that kid’s work ethic, if I’m an opposing defenseman I’d be terrified of what he might be working on while housebound this offseason.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:19 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:53 pm

Amen jrn19. And may not have even taken that team to the final four if the refs didn’t give them a phantom pipe goal
2019 Cavs had an incredible, historic even last two months and the performance on Memorial Day was truly impressive, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a title team live a more charmed existence. Three straight overtime wins after starting the season 1-2. 6-1 all season in 1 goal games. A goal that didn't go in the net to tie their QF game; goal with 6 secs left or something in regulation to just make it to OT in the semifinal. Just every break you could imagine.

Lars is def a very good coach, but if you're going to follow his "model" on taking over a program, take into account all of that too.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:49 pm
johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:47 pm Truth is, no one knows what Epstein’s mobility looks like.
He should be fine by 2021 unless there is a setback. He may not play much in the fall—but then again, there may not BE a fall ball.

Knowing that kid’s work ethic, if I’m an opposing defenseman I’d be terrified of what he might be working on while housebound this offseason.
My first reaction to your fall ball comment: then why the hell did he start in the Loyola game?
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

Agree 100%. Is there any better way to eliminate any sense of politics that was present under the old regime? With the possible exception of Epstein, has there been any kid on that team that should be automatically given their previous position/play time?
Please don’t say Williams and definitely not Desimone. Both of the boys have had there chance multiple times over the last 3 and 4 years. Sorry, I did forget the outstanding game Deso had against Towson and Cole against Towson and the mount. Forget what I said they should be given there spots back....uncontested.
Let’s hope he does take Lars approach. Get the best guys out there and cut the fat. See what these guys are made of.
DMac

Post by DMac »

What would make anyone think they have a starting position with a new coach coming in?
C'mon you guys, of course he's going to take a look at what he's got and pick his starters out from there. No brainer, no?
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:41 pm Epstein
Williams
Murphy
Angelus
Degnon
Zinn
Grimes
McDermott
Concannon

Assuming good health and no more transfers in or out, that is a very talented top 9 for Milliman to work with in his first year. Also Baskin, DeSimone, Keogh, and the other incoming freshmen: Bauer, Chauvette, Martin, Raposo, Peshko, Tallino, LaDrido (lots of names ending in 'o' apparently). Will be another achievement if PM keeps that class completely in tact. So far I haven't heard of any defections, though there was one in the following class.

Epstein and Williams were just building some solid chemistry toward the end of 2019—felt like they were really learning how to play off each other. Obviously didn't get to keep that up with Epstein's injury this year.

Still need a goalie, and Koesterer has his work cut out for him with that defense, but it's hard not to be more optimistic about the future now than we were a few weeks ago.
Hopfan16 seems to have it figured out already. Let's see what they're made of.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

It would be great if PM could get something out of DeSimone.
You have to wonder what happened to him. He was highly touted out of HS, was MVP of the HS All Star Game, had a good freshman campaign, then pretty much vanished.
Was it injuries? loss of confidence? Out-of-shape? Too much pressure...?
He showed a lot of potential as a freshman.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”