Johns Hopkins Coach Search

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Homewood15

Re: Johns Hopkins Coach Search

Post by Homewood15 »

CU77 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:21 am Talk of Hop moving to D3 is nonsense. Hobart tried that a few years ago, and the alums stopped it cold. And that was Hobart. At Hop, the campus wouldn't survive the nuclear combustion.

Insider tip: no university president really likes big-time sports of any kind, but they all make their peace with it. Daniels is no different.
Such a bizarre topic. Hopkins lacrosse dropping down to Division 3 would be like BU Hockey dropping down to D3. Storied programs that regularly recruit top talent and are the best Men's team on campus. Both overdue for a title. It's not going to happen.
Homewood15

Post by Homewood15 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... kins/20969

“I’d say I’m a players’ coach, and I’m going to give them a lot of freedom,” he says. “I was a big two-man guy, picking on and off-ball. The rules are a little different, but I think we can do some interesting things there, play off each other, be creative and put them in the best situation possible.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__nzMElXXeg
2:20

"He's the quarterback of the offense, he's like having an assistant coach on the field." - Q

Would love to see him and Milliman on the sidelines together. If Milliman is the type of recruiter he's said to be, pairing him with Steele could be a homerun. I can only imagine the talent they could recruit to Hopkins together and how fun their offense would be to watch. What HS kid wouldn't want to play for and learn from Steele?
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Today, Monday, April 27, Johns Hopkins will introduce Coach Peter Milliman as the new Head Coach of Johns Hopkins’s men’s lacrosse team.

You can watch the video conference here.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:33 am People getting serious all of a sudden.

We’ve beaten that horse to death already.
Right?

I used all the emojos... laughy, smiley

C'Mon people-

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Round peg, round hole.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:29 am Round peg, round hole.
For the JHU administration and the price point they were looking for, certainly. For the job overall, maybe.

Nads was cut from too similar a cloth as Petro. And the 0-6 did bite him in the behind. That press release doesn't read as good as Milliman's.

If Pete's the right guy, remains to be seen. His ascension at Cornell had some interesting twists and turns and circumstances. He appeared to be able to navigate the politics at Cornell quite well for his benefit. That is a skill he'll need at JHU with the alumni there and following in the steps of a legend like Petro.

Hopkins Athletic Department wanted a clean sweep from the previous Hopkins coaching network. Good for the short term goals of the athletics department. We'll see if it translates to a significant improvement on the field over Petro. But to be honest, I don't think a change in on-field results at JHU was even the goal.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:32 am So he played there a few years. Out of curiosity, why didn’t Milliman ultimately graduate from Gettysburg?
Does anyone know?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Are you going there’s some juicy story there? Seems like I’ve seen at least a half dozen posts on this topic.

Biggest mistake ND ever made was firing George OLeary, having a degree to coach a sport never made sense to me.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Congratulations to the great Institute of Johns Hopkins University (Yes, I have ties as my wife was employed at JHU for a couple years), for the wonderful hire of a great Coach, Pete Milliman. Your last coach also came via Cornell and brought the institution 2 National Championships.

You have hired a great Lacrosse coach and even better person. I wish Coach Milliman great success at JHU, and can only be thankful to Pete for returning the great tradition of Cornell Lacrosse to National Prominence, the past 3 years.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:13 am Are you going there’s some juicy story there? Seems like I’ve seen at least a half dozen posts on this topic.

Biggest mistake ND ever made was firing George OLeary, having a degree to coach a sport never made sense to me.
No.
No story that I know of. People transfer for a number of reasons. I don't think it's a disqualifying factor at all. Probably quite the opposite. Just curious, since the resume is being touted and it is seems incomplete there.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:22 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:13 am Are you going there’s some juicy story there? Seems like I’ve seen at least a half dozen posts on this topic.

No.
No story that I know of. People transfer for a number of reasons. I don't think it's a disqualifying factor at all. Probably quite the opposite. Just curious, since the resume is being touted and it is seems incomplete there.
He didn’t graduate from college?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:18 am Congratulations to the great Institute of Johns Hopkins University (Yes, I have ties as my wife was employed at JHU for a couple years), for the wonderful hire of a great Coach, Pete Milliman. Your last coach also came via Cornell and brought the institution 2 National Championships.

You have hired a great Lacrosse coach and even better person. I wish Coach Milliman great success at JHU, and can only be thankful to Pete for returning the great tradition of Cornell Lacrosse to National Prominence, the past 3 years.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Thumbs up, Joewillie. Good luck with the Big Red coaching search. They have an amazing track record of finding great coaches. I'm sure this time will be no different.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

O'Leary got canned for falsifying his CV. Are you implying that Milliman lied and he actually did graduate from Gettysburg?
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Nice hire!

Try and give the guy 4 years before calling for his head. ;)
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

thatsmell wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:39 am But to be honest, I don't think a change in on-field results at JHU was even the goal.
I’d be willing to wager that wins and losses had nothing to do with this. This is a culture change replacing an old school coach who was distasteful to a woke administration and the institution putting the alumni in their place. They clipped the trifecta of big lacrosse donors in the knees. In short you’re welcome to give and you’re welcome to cheer but your influence is gone.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:30 am

O'Leary got canned for falsifying his CV. Are you implying that Milliman lied and he actually did graduate from Gettysburg?
Yeah he was so ashamed of graduating from aa centennial conference school he’s burying the lead...

No reality is I jumped to the argument that having any degrees is not a prerequisite. Maybe OLeary should’ve stuck at GaTech but he built the team that got Scott Frost his sweet gig at Nebraska.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

thatsmell wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:39 am
jhu72 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:29 am Round peg, round hole.
For the JHU administration and the price point they were looking for, certainly. For the job overall, maybe.

Nads was cut from too similar a cloth as Petro. And the 0-6 did bite him in the behind. That press release doesn't read as good as Milliman's.

If Pete's the right guy, remains to be seen. His ascension at Cornell had some interesting twists and turns and circumstances. He appeared to be able to navigate the politics at Cornell quite well for his benefit. That is a skill he'll need at JHU with the alumni there and following in the steps of a legend like Petro.

Hopkins Athletic Department wanted a clean sweep from the previous Hopkins coaching network. Good for the short term goals of the athletics department. We'll see if it translates to a significant improvement on the field over Petro. But to be honest, I don't think a change in on-field results at JHU was even the goal.
Bingo.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

foreverlax wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:31 am Nice hire!

Try and give the guy 4 years before calling for his head. ;)
Yes. Its a good hire. Hopefully the alumni get behind him and support him. It will make a difference.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

calourie wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:40 pm
Chitown wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:20 pm
Chitown wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:28 am Just thinking :idea: If Hopkins hires Millman, it would indicate that the Admin. has decided to "institutionalize" the lacrosse Coach position. None of the Yale, Cornell, Princeton or Penn Coaches came to their Univs with renown lacrosse playing or coaching backgrounds. Those Univs attract lacrosse players based on the Univs general reputation, not the Coaches' reputation. That makes the coaches fungible, and more easily replaceable. Maybe you don't need a "great" coach, just players who can pick up a GB, are athletic, and can catch & throw.

So if Hopkins hires Millman, it will mean that the Admin is entirely in "control". 8-)

Also, one thing for sure: Hopkins will NEVER EVER hire as the Coach someone who is a former Maryland lacrosse player. So count out the Georgetown Coach. :mrgreen:
President Daniels, Alanna Shanahan, and the current JHU AD run the Show. That is the message here. The Coaches are fungible. It will be interesting to see what happens going forward, BUT Hopkins lacrosse alumni are not going to hang around the Cordish Center and shoot the breeze with the lacrosse coach anymore. Want to talk with someone about lacrosse? Make an appointment with Alanna or the AD from now on. :o
Interesting two post comments by Chitown. Would point out that things changed at Yale after initially hiring Shay in much the manner that Chitown seems to think applied to the four Ivies mentioned as well as the JHU just now with Millman. Once Shay clearly elevated the Yale program from meh to stellar the Yale administration actually recognized this advance by paying Shay his worth within reason, as well as making him the face and mouthpeice for Yale lacrosse, moves which rendered him non-fungible enough to indicate he wasn't interested in the JHU job when they reached out to see if he would be interested. Things may well work out for Millman in a similar fashion should he reenergize the Hopkins program in short order. I doubt Hopkins will give Millman the seven year benefit of the doubt Yale gave Shay without exercising the fungibility clause, but success has a way of dramatically changing the dynamic for all involved.
Except the Shay hire/change came without a change in the Athletic Department (Tom Beckett remained the AD long after hiring Shay) and admin (Richard Levin was President for Shay's entire time until he retired in 2013.). Shay and Beckett also got 90s lax alums from the Waldvogel era like Reese and O'Neil involved in fund raising and upgrades to the stadium facilities to support the program long before they were in the top championship mix.
Last edited by Kismet on Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”