Ivy League

D1 Mens Lacrosse
RumorMill

Re: Ivy League 2020

Post by RumorMill »

Or the standard two year graduate program and play lax for one of them.
renault

Post by renault »

RumorMill wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:11 pm Or the standard two year graduate program and play lax for one of them.
What standard two year graduate program?

The most popular two year program is the MBA, but getting an MBA immediately after undergrad would be a terrible idea for the vast majority of Ivy grads.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

renault wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:13 am
RumorMill wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:11 pm Or the standard two year graduate program and play lax for one of them.

The most popular two year program is the MBA, but getting an MBA immediately after undergrad would be a terrible idea for the vast majority of Ivy grads.
You are absolutely right.

This is a process. Like anything else in life; when something important is taken from you, you look for a way to reclaim it. Any flicker of light is a ray of hope. That is what we are going through right now. It's smart for these players to explore every potential option that may interest them.

How many seniors will actually take the extra year option? The non-Ivy guys will have that option. Good for them if they want it. One of the highest profile seniors, on a team with a legitimate shot at a ring, where everything is in place, has decided to move on.

As for our Ivy guys, the mental gymnastics have been nothing short of an emotional roller coaster; withdrawal, don't withdrawal, graduate with your class, seek out new schools. The extra year at their beloved Ivy has been denied. So the next option is to go to another team. As bitter a pill as denial is to take, does anyone think that a lot of our high profile seniors who would have that option really want to put on the uni of another school to play for another year?

How many of these guys had grad school in their plans in Jan? What kind of one-year grad program is worth it after coming off an Ivy degree? Can they slide into Fuqua at Duke (2 years)? Law school (3 more years) at this late date at Duke, Gtown, or UVa? Have any of these players taken the proper tests (LSAT, GMAT, GRE, etc)?

Those are the mental gymnastics. Now how about the financial gymnastics. How many Ivy guys could get the entire next year paid for with one of the existing 12.6 scholarships available? If not, where does the balance come from? Parents. And after getting an undergrad degree from their respective Ivy, what parent is going to think its a good idea for their son to get a hastily arranged, one-year grad degree in order to play another year of lacrosse?

Underclassmen? So they missed a half year. They can come back next year and play. Bad stuff happens, but it is not the end of the world. Perspective. They valued an Ivy degree when they chose to attend. Do we really think many will transfer just to get a redo?
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Is anyone really surprised at the position that HYP took on this? This was a chance for the "always fearful of athletics" Ivy League presidents to take a stand, which is what they did. All of the knuckleheads on this site - I am the king knucklehead - care so much more about athletics than the Ivy presidents do, so we would naturally have a tendency to expect the extra year. But I am not surprised in the least and their argument has validity in context of the time of year - less than 45 days until the end of the semester - and the reality that the kids who would leave aren't leaving due to injuries.

What I am surprised about is that they are leaving it up to the individual schools. Why bother with league based rules if each school can decide on a policy? That makes no sense.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

QuakerSouth wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:44 am

You are absolutely right.

This is a process. Like anything else in life; when something important is taken from you, you look for a way to reclaim it. Any flicker of light is a ray of hope. That is what we are going through right now. It's smart for these players to explore every potential option that may interest them.

How many seniors will actually take the extra year option? The non-Ivy guys will have that option. Good for them if they want it. One of the highest profile seniors, on a team with a legitimate shot at a ring, where everything is in place, has decided to move on.

As for our Ivy guys, the mental gymnastics have been nothing short of an emotional roller coaster; withdrawal, don't withdrawal, graduate with your class, seek out new schools. The extra year at their beloved Ivy has been denied. So the next option is to go to another team. As bitter a pill as denial is to take, does anyone think that a lot of our high profile seniors who would have that option really want to put on the uni of another school to play for another year?

How many of these guys had grad school in their plans in Jan? What kind of one-year grad program is worth it after coming off an Ivy degree? Can they slide into Fuqua at Duke (2 years)? Law school (3 more years) at this late date at Duke, Gtown, or UVa? Have any of these players taken the proper tests (LSAT, GMAT, GRE, etc)?

Those are the mental gymnastics. Now how about the financial gymnastics. How many Ivy guys could get the entire next year paid for with one of the existing 12.6 scholarships available? If not, where does the balance come from? Parents. And after getting an undergrad degree from their respective Ivy, what parent is going to think its a good idea for their son to get a hastily arranged, one-year grad degree in order to play another year of lacrosse?

Underclassmen? So they missed a half year. They can come back next year and play. Bad stuff happens, but it is not the end of the world. Perspective. They valued an Ivy degree when they chose to attend. Do we really think many will transfer just to get a redo?
I never thought many Ivy League seniors would move on to other schools. It may amount to a handful each year. A high level player looking for another option to play? 3 or 4 a year. Most athletes have had enough after 4 years of college sports. That includes most starters.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Typical Lax Dad

Lax3 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:10 am Is anyone really surprised at the position that HYP took on this? This was a chance for the "always fearful of athletics" Ivy League presidents to take a stand, which is what they did. All of the knuckleheads on this site - I am the king knucklehead - care so much more about athletics than the Ivy presidents do, so we would naturally have a tendency to expect the extra year. But I am not surprised in the least and their argument has validity in context of the time of year - less than 45 days until the end of the semester - and the reality that the kids who would leave aren't leaving due to injuries.

What I am surprised about is that they are leaving it up to the individual schools. Why bother with league based rules if each school can decide on a policy? That makes no sense.
You have to look at what is the existing policy for withdrawal dates at each School. Princeton and Cornell and I believe Penn were inside the withdrawal date at least one week ago. Yale’s has lapsed as had Brown, I believe. I thought schools would stick with existing policy. Princeton decided against it for athletes. An athlete can still withdraw and come back.... they just can’t come back and play lacrosse next year. If the student is involved in other campus activities, they can pick it back up when they come back.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

I think the mental adjustment for seniors at this stage of the game is a high bar. A schedule has been in their head for over 3 1/2 years. They've been planning their lives around graduating, leaving, and moving on to the next chapter.
Last edited by QuakerSouth on Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sting The Corner

Post by Sting The Corner »

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... ty-rulings

Sounds like Cornell and Brown trying to make it happen for their Seniors. Still would be quite surprised if admin allows.
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

Sting The Corner wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:53 am https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... ty-rulings

Sounds like Cornell and Brown trying to make it happen for their Seniors.
Penn too which was reported in previous articles and implied in this one.
Typical Lax Dad

QuakerSouth wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:52 am I think the mental adjustment for seniors at this stage of the game is a high bar. A schedule has been in their head for over 3 1/2 years. They've been planning their lives around graduating, leaving, and moving on to the next chapter.
I don't disagree... though a handful may have thought about it a month ago when the season was cancelled. I see this as being an option for future grads looking to play another year at another school. Many will just press pause on their careers.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

If campuses are still closed in the fall, I wonder how many kids will choose not to go back for the semester? I have not heard a single student who thinks the value of the online classes is anywhere close to the on-campus experience, but the schools are charging the same amount.
renault

Post by renault »

QuakerSouth wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:44 am

SNIP

SNIP
The one-year programs make a lot more sense than any two-year MBA program. These programs are essentially just a fifth year of undergrad, used as cash cows for universities and sold to students who struck out at OCR.

They usually have (relatively) nonexistent admissions standards, at least when compared to actual MBA programs. They have no real academic requirements. Win/win scenario as long as the kid can afford to waste the money on another year of school.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

While I understand that it might not be a student's initial inclination, if the ACC/B1G schools noted are offering a one year MFIN or MM, or a two year MBA on a fully paid (or mostly paid) basis, it is a huge economic incentive to play another year of lacrosse in college. My assumption is that this option "free" grad school will only be available to the best of the best. For someone like Sowers or Teat or TD, who might consider the option of going pro and selling their personal "brand", an MM or MBA would be useful training for such an entrepreneurial career path. I know that a few big name lacrosse pros have gone back for part time MBAs, which is a more taxing use of time in later life. All of that said, I have no knowledge of how generous these schools really can be.
renault

Post by renault »

faircornell wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:46 am While I understand that it might not be a student's initial inclination, if the ACC/B1G schools noted are offering a one year MFIN or MM, or a two year MBA on a fully paid (or mostly paid) basis, it is a huge economic incentive to play another year of lacrosse in college. My assumption is that this option "free" grad school will only be available to the best of the best. For someone like Sowers or Teat or TD, who might consider the option of going pro and selling their personal "brand", an MM or MBA would be useful training for such an entrepreneurial career path. I know that a few big name lacrosse pros have gone back for part time MBAs, which is a more taxing use of time in later life. All of that said, I have no knowledge of how generous these schools really can be.
For 99% of people, especially Ivy grads, doing an MBA immediately after college (either a one-year add-on or a less-than-impressive two-year program) is a terrible decision.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

renault wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:32 am
faircornell wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:46 am While I understand that it might not be a student's initial inclination, if the ACC/B1G schools noted are offering a one year MFIN or MM, or a two year MBA on a fully paid (or mostly paid) basis, it is a huge economic incentive to play another year of lacrosse in college. My assumption is that this option "free" grad school will only be available to the best of the best. For someone like Sowers or Teat or TD, who might consider the option of going pro and selling their personal "brand", an MM or MBA would be useful training for such an entrepreneurial career path. I know that a few big name lacrosse pros have gone back for part time MBAs, which is a more taxing use of time in later life. All of that said, I have no knowledge of how generous these schools really can be.
For 99% of people, especially Ivy grads, doing an MBA immediately after college (either a one-year add-on or a less-than-impressive two-year program) is a terrible decision.
I agree. For the relatively few players who can get 1-2 years of free education in a MM or MBA, it could be a very interesting decision to consider. Although I have not kept track of the number currently, in the past leading MBA programs would allow somewhere around 1% of their class to be fresh graduates, so your 99% estimate is well taken.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

MBA programs are filled with people who have worked for awhile and are incredibly social experiences. A friend told me she partied harder at HBS than college. I feel like coming straight from college and still having to maintain a D1 athlete schedule, these kids would be fish out of water (and not really even allowed to jump in the pool) in MBA programs. It doesn't benefit the player or the business school.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Laxxal22 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:30 am MBA programs are filled with people who have worked for awhile and are incredibly social experiences. A friend told me she partied harder at HBS than college. I feel like coming straight from college and still having to maintain a D1 athlete schedule, these kids would be fish out of water (and not really even allowed to jump in the pool) in MBA programs. It doesn't benefit the player or the business school.
MBA, yes, to do a first rate program without some time in the work world is not advisable. A degree of a third rate program might even be a minus on a resume for an Ivy grad. I wouldn't say that my wife partied harder at HBS than at Dartmouth, but indeed the interpersonal opportunities are a huge part of the experience.

However, taking another year of classes in an area incremental to prior work is not necessarily a waste, any more than senior year of college is a waste.

Whether that's some practical business oriented courses or computer science courses or international relations or...the extra year also means another whack at an internship which itself could be the most valuable aspect.

In the long run, 5 years instead of 4 is not going to make a hill of beans difference to one's career. But the practice of using one's time to make forward progress, to learn and grow, will have lifelong benefits.

But save the MBA experience for when it will be more valuable.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

100%. There a lot of possibilities for a valid/beneficial one year of study while saving the MBA experience for a potentially more appropriate time of life.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

Laxxal22 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:30 am MBA programs are filled with people who have worked for awhile and are incredibly social experiences. A friend told me she partied harder at HBS than college. I feel like coming straight from college and still having to maintain a D1 athlete schedule, these kids would be fish out of water (and not really even allowed to jump in the pool) in MBA programs. It doesn't benefit the player or the business school.
I found MBA school to be filled with a bunch of people that finally had a social life for the first time in their lives. They would get "high school" drunk almost every weekend, likely because they didn't do it when they were teenagers.
Bluecollar

Post by Bluecollar »

From that US Lacrosse Magazine article, it seems Penn, Dartmouth, and Brown are "trying to work with senior student athletes". Would that mean helping them do a 5th year and a second major? Thats one way to stay around as an undergrad.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”