All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Kismet

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by Kismet »

"Chris Murphy
@ChrisMurphyCT
1. There is a shortage of the Coronavirus testing reagent.
2. Much of the reagent supply comes from Europe.
3. Pissing off Europe by not giving them prior notice of the travel ban was totally unnecessary."

I don't get this - why didn't we, at least, give them a heads up? Aren't, after all, our friends and allies? :roll:

..and at today's presser with Ireland PM DOPUS praising how well the UK is doing in handling the virus......except Ireland is an independent country and not part of the UK. Somebody call the IRA. :oops: :lol:
Last edited by Kismet on Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

foreverlax wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:09 pm
6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:30 pm
57 American deaths. 60% in one location.
No....38 have died. 30 of them in one state.
Yes - I was also wondering where the 57 number came from. No one I have seen is reporting this.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:17 pm
foreverlax wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:09 pm
6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:30 pm
57 American deaths. 60% in one location.
No....38 have died. 30 of them in one state.
Yes - I was also wondering where the 57 number came from. No one I have seen is reporting this.
Probably on Twitter.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Kismet wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:13 pm "Chris Murphy
@ChrisMurphyCT
3. Pissing off Europe by not giving them prior notice of the travel ban was totally unnecessary."

I don't get this - why didn't we, at least, give them a heads up? Aren't, after all, our friends and allies? :roll:
I was unaware of this. JESUS F*ING CHRIST! This explains why the fed and state governments are treating testing kits like gold. Probably explains the report coming out of the H of R that test kits are incomplete.

Don't know but would speculate that OD is retaliating for our inability to get the needed component from the Euros, quickly enough. It is the way his mind works. This travel ban will not help the situation.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Kismet wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:13 pm "Chris Murphy
@ChrisMurphyCT

..and at today's presser with Ireland PM DOPUS praising how well the UK is doing in handling the virus......except Ireland is an independent country and not part of the UK. Somebody call the IRA. :oops: :lol:
UK is doing worse than half the Euro nations banned (at least were last night).
DMac

Post by DMac »

A good example of why many of us said it's scary to have this guy as the Prez. Has nothing to do with snowflakes for all you Trump supporters, has everything to do with his being unfit and too stupid to be the Prez.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

BHO right about now.....here it comes, :lol:

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:27 pm
6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:01 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:55 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:51 am

:roll:
I saw this live. What a joke. He calls for non-partisan cooperation, then tells us what great leadership OD displays. Just like 6ft. They call for this is serious and no time for politics - all the while injecting politics into the discussion. :roll:
The politics and mass panic is coming from YOU and those like you.

Trump closed the borders to China in January. Thank goodness or things would be worse.He was labeled a xenophobe.

The borders you insist should be open.
I never once said banning Chinese travel was a bad idea. NOT ONCE. I have in fact on a number of occasions said the action helped. I also said it did not help as much as the Chinese self imposed travel ban, worldwide.

Pay attention.

PS - there is now evidence that the virus was already in the US, undetected at the time, prior to Trump's border closing.
PSS -- so what ? The travel bans & restrictions limit the number of new carrier vectors inserted into the population.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:40 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:27 pm
6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:01 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:55 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:51 am

:roll:
I saw this live. What a joke. He calls for non-partisan cooperation, then tells us what great leadership OD displays. Just like 6ft. They call for this is serious and no time for politics - all the while injecting politics into the discussion. :roll:
The politics and mass panic is coming from YOU and those like you.

Trump closed the borders to China in January. Thank goodness or things would be worse.He was labeled a xenophobe.

The borders you insist should be open.
I never once said banning Chinese travel was a bad idea. NOT ONCE. I have in fact on a number of occasions said the action helped. I also said it did not help as much as the Chinese self imposed travel ban, worldwide.

Pay attention.

PS - there is now evidence that the virus was already in the US, undetected at the time, prior to Trump's border closing.
PSS -- so what ? The travel bans & restrictions limit the number of new carrier vectors inserted into the population.
As jhu72 compliments the EU and is upset over the Trump travel ban, along with also acknowledging the virus was already in the US, as if it is not in the EU. He must eat "waffles" all the time.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

@kasie hunt NBC news just reported that Republicans' objections to the House Democrats' emergency coronavirus bill include issues related to abortion.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

What is problem with travel ban?

Of the 35 states reporting infections, 30 of them have infections which originated in Europe per reporting I have read.

Unless this stat is wrong, it makes perfect sense for European travel ban.
The parent, not the coach.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

If the ban makes sense, why exclude Uk, Ireland, Romania? The CDC has done 77 coronavirus tests this week. Why do Redfield and Azar still have jobs?
Last edited by Trinity on Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:51 pm Breaking News: The European Union’s governing body condemned President Trump’s Europe travel ban, saying the decision was “taken unilaterally and without consultation”.

This oughta make your head spin...my guess is some of you will agree with the EU.

#OrangeManBad
Did the EU ever restrict travel from China ? If so, when ?
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

The virus is already here, so a travel ban from Europe is not very effective at this point in time. The state level encouragements regarding social distancing is _far_ more effective in flattening the coming spike in infections. Example is NY state banning all gatherings of over 500 people, and for those places that hold under 500 reducing capacity to 50%. NCAA bb tourney to limit spectators to basically a few families. MLB and NBA suspending. Major conference bb tourneys cancelled.

As it should be the smart folks are not listening to this administration unless it is a trusted person like Fauci. It is just a shame to see the incompetence of the administration as lives _could_ be saved by better government leadership
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

The virus is already here, so a travel ban from Europe is not very effective at this point in time. The state level encouragements regarding social distancing is _far_ more effective in flattening the coming spike in infections. Example is NY state banning all gatherings of over 500 people, and for those places that hold under 500 reducing capacity to 50%. NCAA bb tourney to limit spectators to basically a few families. MLB and NBA suspending. Major conference bb tourneys cancelled.

As it should be the smart folks are not listening to this administration unless it is a trusted person like Fauci. It is just a shame to see the incompetence of the administration as lives _could_ be saved by better government leadership
old salt

Post by old salt »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:12 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:51 pm Breaking News: The European Union’s governing body condemned President Trump’s Europe travel ban, saying the decision was “taken unilaterally and without consultation”.

This oughta make your head spin...my guess is some of you will agree with the EU.

#OrangeManBad
Look, it is pretty clear there is no data, other than the outbreak in Italy - this alone - that warrants this action. If you discount Italy, and consider the EU zone, they are as a group doing A LOT better than we are at the time of this decision! Their numbers look a lot more like South Korea than they do the US, or China, or Italy. There is no indication that I have seen that things are spreading from Italy through the rest of the EU. It is unlikely to, given Italy's recent action to lockdown the whole country.

Is this a good idea? As a scientist I am neutral on it. It is not going to make a big difference. It certainly won't hurt, other than economically. They will retaliate and this will cause more economic harm. It is also a clear slap in the face to our one time allies. As someone interested in foreign affairs - THIS IS A TOTAL BONE HEAD MOVE!

To me this looks to be a totally political decision -- something for Trump's base. We all know how effective they think any wall is. If you don't believe me, that this is political, why did Orange Duce refer to coronavirus as "a foreign virus" during the part of his speech announcing this action?
Why discount Italy ? That's like saying discount WA in the US
Show us EU aggregate data on community spread to support your hypothesis.

Focus on Denmark. ...the rest of Scandinavia is also startling.

The agita over the EU ban is over hyped. It's not in place yet. Business travel & tourism is way down anyway.
Last edited by old salt on Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Jim Malone wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:48 pm What is problem with travel ban?

Of the 35 states reporting infections, 30 of them have infections which originated in Europe per reporting I have read.

#OrangeManBad. I am sure jhu, MD, and trinity will let us know shortly.
~Livy
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Trinity wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:46 pm @kasie hunt NBC news just reported that Republicans' objections to the House Democrats' emergency coronavirus bill include issues related to abortion.
These people are totally f**d up!
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:58 pm
Jim Malone wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:48 pm What is problem with travel ban?

#OrangeManBad. I am sure jhu, MD, and trinity will let us know shortly.
Closing the barn door after the horse is out much?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

old salt wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:57 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:12 pm

#OrangeManBad
Look, it is pretty clear there is no data, other than the outbreak in Italy - this alone - that warrants this action. If you discount Italy, and consider the EU zone, they are as a group doing A LOT better than we are at the time of this decision! Their numbers look a lot more like South Korea than they do the US, or China, or Italy. There is no indication that I have seen that things are spreading from Italy through the rest of the EU. It is unlikely to, given Italy's recent action to lockdown the whole country.

Is this a good idea? As a scientist I am neutral on it. It is not going to make a big difference. It certainly won't hurt, other than economically. They will retaliate and this will cause more economic harm. It is also a clear slap in the face to our one time allies. As someone interested in foreign affairs - THIS IS A TOTAL BONE HEAD MOVE!

To me this looks to be a totally political decision -- something for Trump's base. We all know how effective they think any wall is. If you don't believe me, that this is political, why did Orange Duce refer to coronavirus as "a foreign virus" during the part of his speech announcing this action?
Why discount Italy ? That's like saying discount WA in the US
Show us EU aggregate data on community spread to support your hypothesis.
-- Prove Italy continues to infect the rest of EU.

Focus on Denmark. ...the rest of Scandinavia is also startling.

The agita over the EU ban is over hyped. It's not in place yet. Business travel & tourism is way down anyway.
-- Agreed this might change as cooler heads prevail. It is clear there is no good reason for this.

Return to “POLITICS”