FanLax Forum Poll

D1 Womens Lacrosse
seacoaster

Re: FanLax Forum Poll

Post by seacoaster »

FanLax Computer wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:23 pm After Today's Games, these are the top 10. You can see the whole list (and play with the categories) here.

Rank Team
1 North Carolina
2 Loyola Maryland
3 Southern California
4 Notre Dame
5 Dartmouth
6 Florida
7 Syracuse
8 James Madison
9 Michigan
10 Maryland
The FLC has Georgetown at No. 18. Is that before or after the loss to UC-Davis?

Can we just stop that right now? Can we give up the notion that Georgetown is a top 20 team?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:42 am

Can we just stop that right now? Can we give up the notion that Georgetown is a top 20 team?
"Ah, wait, no way, you're kidding...He didnt just say what I think he did, did he?"

Wow, I missed that completely. You are right. Cant lose to UC Davis if you are top 20.

Checking the FLC, it doesnt have UC Davis as a game for Georgetown, so I guess the loss didnt happen, statistically. Last game it shows Georgetown playing was against George Washington, and the next one is against Loyola. So, if it didnt happen, they could still be ranked #18.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:03 am
seacoaster wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:42 am

"Ah, wait, no way, you're kidding...He didnt just say what I think he did, did he?"

Wow, I missed that completely. You are right. Cant lose to UC Davis if you are top 20.

Checking the FLC, it doesnt have UC Davis as a game for Georgetown, so I guess the loss didnt happen, statistically. Last game it shows Georgetown playing was against George Washington, and the next one is against Loyola. So, if it didnt happen, they could still be ranked #18.
True. But it sure looks like it happened:

http://www.guhoyas.com/news/2020/3/8/wo ... davis.aspx

And congrats to UC-Davis; great win for those kids.
Dr. Tact

Re: FanLax Forum Poll week 5

Post by Dr. Tact »

So, I have some time this morning and am not going to wait for the big game tonight...so, my poll may mess things up if UNC doesnt win.....Also, I have decided that top-25 at this point is just guessing, so I am now down to 20.

1. UNC - Cant remove them, they have everything they need to win the Championship...will they stumble one game? Maybe tonight?
2. Syracuse - Nice can of whoop*ss laid on the Hokies. Still want to know about the RED Card. UVA, Louisville, ND, Loyola, Duke, UNC...wow what a murderer's row of games.
3. Loyola - nice team
4. ND - Below the top 3 for me because I expected more goals against Duke and certainly BC. But they are arguably #2 or 3 and I could agree with that.
5. NU - Best team with 2 losses and maybe 3 after tonight. Is Scane healthy? If not, it might be a big loss tonight.
6. USC - Undefeated, but...they have played who? toughest games 2 G win vs. Mich. and 1 G win against Stanford
7. Penn - Passed the eye test for me. They should not drop out of top 10 after Saturday's loss. Should they be in front of Dartmouth, I dont know.
8. Dartmouth - Undefeated and likely will still be when they play the traditional powers of Princeton/Penn in early April. Could be best in Ivy League.
9. Florida - Just don't know what to think of this team...game against the Mids tomorrow...will this be the team that beat SBU or the one that lost to Dartmouth? Still in my top 10.
10. SBU - Shut down Princeton, but I think Princeton hurt themselves as well. Maybe a tester at USC this week.
11. JMU - only loss to UNC. Should win next 2 and then @ UVA
12. Richmond - Good win over UVA. Nova might be a fun game.
13. Duke - lose to ND (yep), beat UVA (Huh)? this team is one to watch. They appear to be a better team than last year without the superstar. Penn game will be a good one. Win that and they are up to top 10 in my poll.
14. UMD - two very MD like games last week against Navy/Hofstra. Are the young turtles figuring it out?
15. Princeton - Drop in my poll because of yesterday. They seemed to focus on passing to center of 8 in front of goalie, it didnt work. Dont they have at least one top dodger?
16. UVA - Oh my how they have fallen...Guess losing two stars last year has really hurt this team. It isn't going to get an easier with Cuse, JMU, and PSU in the next 2 weeks.
17. Michigan - Winning games that they should, but haven't beat any top 20 teams...
18. Penn State - Tough 2 weeks with NU and UVA. Still have Mich, MD as well.
19. UMass - 4-1 but should be 12-1 going to Richmond in April.
20. Navy - I really cant believe this team is 2-3. FLA tomorrow....is Larkin OK?
Last edited by Dr. Tact on Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
FanLax Computer

Post by FanLax Computer »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:42 amThe FLC has Georgetown at No. 18. Is that before or after the loss to UC-Davis?

Humans, look at the time stamp. Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:23 pm. G'town is currently #27.
“I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them.” -Isaac Asimov
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

FanLax Computer wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:56 am
seacoaster wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:42 amThe FLC has Georgetown at No. 18. Is that before or after the loss to UC-Davis?

Humans, look at the time stamp. Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:23 pm. G'town is currently #27.
weird, when I went and looked earlier (this morning), there was no UC Davis game against Georgetown on the site....Oh well, it is right now, that is all that matters :oops:
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Here's where I am ahead of the tilt tonight in Evanston (BTN+):

1. UNC -- because UNC. Until and unless they lose, they're gonna stay here.
2. Notre Dame -- why No. 2 over Cuse? Because the Cuse had an 8 minute brain fart in the Dome, and have to pay for it.
3. Syracuse -- why No. 3 over Loyola? Because I went to graduate school there, MoFo; that's why.
4. Loyola -- this team should finish the regular season with a single loss.
5. NU -- still haven't factored in a Scane-less NU; if I have to, my guess is they slip to 7 or 8.

Now the hard(er) part:

6. Penn -- or Dartmouth? The Ivy is going to be a real war among the trio on the top.
7. Dartmouth -- they led UNH 12-0 at the half. UNH was once a pretty good program; they looked like a high school team in the first ten minutes in Hanover on Saturday.
8. SBU -- beat Towson and Princeton this week, neither game ever in doubt. Good team, not great. And Kennedy may be the fiercest midfielder in the women's game today.
9. USC -- I just cannot get this team into the rarefied air of the top five until they beat someone. Stretch their legs against ASU 3/13, and then feel the pain of playing SBU Sunday.
10. Florida -- I'm not sure how long they stay here. I can feel JMU, Richmond and, yes, Maryland breathing down their necks. Which is kinda gross.
11. Princeton -- look, three of my uncles and my niece went there, so...and F. Scott Fitzgerald. They gave SBU a creditable game; they are well coached and likely will not lose games they should not lose. Princeton's ranking will be sorted out by games against Florida, PSU, Dartmouth and Maryland. My guess is they drop. Sorry Uncle Jack (who is, happily, dead anyway).
12. JMU -- just getting better each week.
13. Richmond -- 7-0 and they've beaten...exactly one team whose star is falling, by a goal in OT. So....
14. Maryland -- two nice games, although Navy forgot how to play in the first half. I think Hofstra is a good team. CNR keeps playing the youngsters, and they keep getting better. She has four freshmen on the field at any given time. And it is only March.
15. Duke -- weird, right? Lose Olivia Jenner and Charlotte North, and they seem like a better team. Game against Quaker State on March 14 at home.
16. Michigan -- fine, whatevs....
17. UVA -- plummeting. As I look back up the list here, I'm just not sure who they can beat.
18. Denver -- I think the Vandy loss was a speed bump that Denver hit like they were driving a rental car.
19. UMass -- Straight on 'til Richmond.
20. PSU -- c'mon now; I really have no idea. BC? V-Tech? Colorado? Navy?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:23 am weird, when I went and looked earlier (this morning), there was no UC Davis game against Georgetown on the site....Oh well, it is right now, that is all that matters :oops:
Added this AM. You weren't wrong.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Polls by midnight...
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

UNC vs. ND on Sunday.
Caddy Day
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

I'm not sure what Richmond's case is to be ranked so high at this point. IL has them at 10, Lacrosse Mag at 13. Their one notable result was an OT win over UVA, which is 1-3 in their last four and falling fast. Richmond plays two teams this year that ever had any hope of being ranked: UVA and Umass. Even with the craziness of this season I don't know how you put a team with that schedule at 10. I'll take Duke over Richmond any day, with a stronger win over UVA, a similar score vs. William and Mary and the lessons learned from a one-goal loss to Navy and a couple pretty close games with NU and ND. Lacrosse Magazine doesn't even have Duke ranked above UVA, despite having almost identical resumes that includes a head-to-head win for Duke.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:33 pm I'm not sure what Richmond's case is to be ranked so high at this point. IL has them at 10, Lacrosse Mag at 13. Their one notable result was an OT win over UVA, which is 1-3 in their last four and falling fast. Richmond plays two teams this year that ever had any hope of being ranked: UVA and Umass. Even with the craziness of this season I don't know how you put a team with that schedule at 10. I'll take Duke over Richmond any day, with a stronger win over UVA, a similar score vs. William and Mary and the lessons learned from a one-goal loss to Navy and a couple pretty close games with NU and ND. Lacrosse Magazine doesn't even have Duke ranked above UVA, despite having almost identical resumes that includes a head-to-head win for Duke.
Good post and good food for thought.

Yeah, Duke wins by 6 goals, and is still behind UVA?

Florida gets pasted by Dartmouth, and the Inside Lacrosse/Maverik Poll has Florida two spots higher, Florida at No. 7 and Dartmouth at No. 9.

In my blather this morning, I tried to express some misgivings or uncertainty about Richmond, which I have at No. 13. UVA is the only credible team they've played (no offense to others), and it took OT to do it. Having said that, Duke is climbing in my poll and may, as you say, overtake RIchmond as the Spiders run through Villanova, VCU, George Mason and St. Joe's. If Richmond just squeaks past a few of these -- and I think St. Joseph's cound give them a game -- then wins alone won't keep them afloat.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

It's the Undefeated Fallacy. As irrational as it is, there's a mindset that says and believes, "But they're undefeated!" SOS is tangential if not ignored.
Caddy Day
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:09 pm It's the Undefeated Fallacy. As irrational as it is, there's a mindset that says and believes, "But they're undefeated!" SOS is tangential if not ignored.
Agreed. So what fallacy explains Florida and Dartmouth in the Maverik poll? The Hookah Fallacy? The Big Doober in Jamaica Fallacy?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Why? Because Dartmouth beat them? I agree, D'mouth should be ahead of them. But you could argue that FL has better wins and, more realistically, that Florida has a better lacrosse brand. The Lacrosse Brand Fallacy.
Caddy Day
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:18 pm Why? Because Dartmouth beat them? I agree, D'mouth should be ahead of them. But you could argue that FL has better wins and, more realistically, that Florida has a better lacrosse brand. The Lacrosse Brand Fallacy.
OK, I guess I will just say I don't much buy a better Florida lacrosse brand. SEC school, great facilities, can't win big games.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

FL consistently ranks higher. And has a unique, energetic vibe to it. Dartmouth is consistently ranked lower, has had some less-than-stellar seasons. As long as people are voting "with their gut", this stuff will factor in.
Caddy Day
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:26 pm FL consistently ranks higher. And has a unique, energetic vibe to it. Dartmouth is consistently ranked lower, has had some less-than-stellar seasons. As long as people are voting "with their gut", this stuff will factor in.
Yeah, understood. You just wish in a rational world that a head-to-head win would mean something, particularly when the winning team is undefeated.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:26 pm FL consistently ranks higher. And has a unique, energetic vibe to it. Dartmouth is consistently ranked lower, has had some less-than-stellar seasons. As long as people are voting "with their gut", this stuff will factor in.
FLA bugs me, because I think they could be really good....just not consistent. I fall into that Brand Fallacy.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:33 pm Yeah, understood. You just wish in a rational world that a head-to-head win would mean something, particularly when the winning team is undefeated.
Head-to-head wins are great because you get a W and your opponent gets an L. Double effectiveness accomplished in one game. But, otherwise, it's just another W, another L. That D'mouth beat FL doesn't mean a lot to me. Nor does D'mouth being undefeated. That D'mouth is undefeated and simply has better wins, that's where I scratch my head.
Caddy Day

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”