Maryland 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: Maryland 2020

Post by jrn19 »

AreaLax wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:55 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:29 pm
Cooter wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:23 pm Fairman hasn't been shooting well the last few games.
He seems to be running around just fine.
Forget not shooting it well, outside of Notre Dame where he shot a bunch - and the whole team shot it a lot - he’s averaging not even 4 shots a game. 3 vs Nova and 3 today. Ball gets to him and he just passes it off, doesn’t even really attempt to run past anyone. I don’t want him to be hurt but i’ve never seen him look this average.
Agree his shooting is off. But both in last weeks game and today game on top of running 1st mid he has been switching in for the 3rd attack. Today also played wing. So that is a lot of play if he is injured.
He probably isn’t. I never said he was, was just wondering. Maybe all the switching of positions is making his legs heavy. The wing and some of the def. mid stuff he’s done has been valuable, but they need him on the offensive end and he looks labored out there right now. Not like himself. And teams are gonna go zone a lot win how much Bernhardt and Wisnauskas (and heck evenness Maltz) are piecing them up
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Re: Bubba...

Seems to me that he's playing within the structure of the offense. With Albany's zone (diamond instead of box), he just seemed like he wasn't going to force things. If Albany had staid in man and run their normal defense, Maryland probably inverts him to great effect.

It just seemed like Marr's strategy post-Q1 was to keep the score close instead of actually playing to win. They're down 1 with just under 2 minutes left, and he still keeps them in that zone. No attempt to get the ball. Just let Maryland run the clock down, clear full field, and then try to score against a set defense. They didn't exactly do well against Maryland's set defense. I bet they scored half of their goals off of transition from Maryland turnover. At one point in the 3rd, they score four straight goals off of 4 straight turnovers.

So kind of a head scratching end-game strategy by Albany.

That zone just sucked the life out of the game. It seemed to take Maryland by surprise. I only watched 1 Albany game before this, so I don't know if they showed zone all season. I wonder if they'll ever play it again this season.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Wheels wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:54 pm Re: Bubba...

Seems to me that he's playing within the structure of the offense. With Albany's zone (diamond instead of box), he just seemed like he wasn't going to force things. If Albany had staid in man and run their normal defense, Maryland probably inverts him to great effect.

It just seemed like Marr's strategy post-Q1 was to keep the score close instead of actually playing to win. They're down 1 with just under 2 minutes left, and he still keeps them in that zone. No attempt to get the ball. Just let Maryland run the clock down, clear full field, and then try to score against a set defense. They didn't exactly do well against Maryland's set defense. I bet they scored half of their goals off of transition from Maryland turnover. At one point in the 3rd, they score four straight goals off of 4 straight turnovers.

So kind of a head scratching end-game strategy by Albany.

That zone just sucked the life out of the game. It seemed to take Maryland by surprise. I only watched 1 Albany game before this, so I don't know if they showed zone all season. I wonder if they'll ever play it again this season.
It took the fun out of the game, but it was a great move by Marr and it definitely gave them a chance to win, after being dominated 8-2 and 13-8. Maryland would have scored 25 vs man d.

Regarding Bubba, hes a good team player who is probably a victim of recruiting overhype through no fault of his own.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:36 pm
Regarding Bubba, hes a good team player who is probably a victim of recruiting overhype through no fault of his own.
When he takes over Jared's role next year, he's probably going to put up a 40-40 type season. He's that good. He's sacrificing his game so the offense can function the way it does.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wheels wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:39 pm
When he takes over Jared's role next year, he's probably going to put up a 40-40 type season. He's that good. He's sacrificing his game so the offense can function the way it does.
He was a First Team AA type guy last year and was very good as a freshman. I love the guy, and in no way think he was overhyped because if he was I wouldn’t be questioning what’s going on. Dude’s as talented as anyone and the fact he can do all these roles is a testament to that. Just haven’t seen him be as sort of lifeless on the offensive end as he has been the last two weeks, and statistically he hasn’t been. I’m sure he’ll be fine and drop a 5 point game in the next few weeks to shut me up.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Maryland vs UVA game has been moved to BTN.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Despite Albany's goal total, the defense still looks pretty good. At least 2 of the goals were from brainfart turnovers. But generally in settled 6 v 6 play they were solid and great in man down. McNaney seems to steal a few high % shots with his quick hands, and of course Shockey's resurgence has taken a lot of pressure off the D. Hopefully he plays like that against the better opponents on the schedule.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:37 pm Despite Albany's goal total, the defense still looks pretty good. At least 2 of the goals were from brainfart turnovers. But generally in settled 6 v 6 play they were solid and great in man down. McNaney seems to steal a few high % shots with his quick hands, and of course Shockey's resurgence has taken a lot of pressure off the D. Hopefully he plays like that against the better opponents on the schedule.
Agree. Think also the switch of Rahill and Geppert seems to be working on defense
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:09 pm
He was a First Team AA type guy last year
With all respect to Bubba, he was not a 1st team AA type guy. He got 3rd team, which is an excellent accomplishment, but 1st team is a different level. Bryan Cole was a 1st team AA type guy.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:18 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:09 pm
He was a First Team AA type guy last year
With all respect to Bubba, he was not a 1st team AA type guy. He got 3rd team, which is an excellent accomplishment, but 1st team is a different level. Bryan Cole was a 1st team AA type guy.
Bubba had 4 more goals and 8 less points than Cole did in 2016 in 3 less games, along with 8 more GBs and way more of a defensive contribution. Bubba was no less than Cole was - who was a very good player - Maryland just didn't make it as far in the tournament last year. Bubba wasn't that less than Bryan Costabile last year, who got 1st Team AA, he had 3 less points, more GBs, and again more defensive contribution.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:59 pm Bubba had 4 more goals and 8 less points than Cole did in 2016 in 3 less games, along with 8 more GBs and way more of a defensive contribution. Bubba was no less than Cole was - who was a very good player - Maryland just didn't make it as far in the tournament last year. Bubba wasn't that less than Bryan Costabile last year, who got 1st Team AA, he had 3 less points, more GBs, and again more defensive contribution.
So uh, Costabile had 42 goals last year. I love Bubba and love what he means to the team, but come on man. That's just insane production from a midfielder.
molo

Post by molo »

Predictions for the UVA game? Defending NC are 2-0 versus PL and SoCon and 0-2 versus Ivy. Terps stumbled against Nova but have some more impressive wins than UVA, who have blown big leads in two of their wins as well as today’s loss.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

PulpExposure wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:14 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:59 pm Bubba had 4 more goals and 8 less points than Cole did in 2016 in 3 less games, along with 8 more GBs and way more of a defensive contribution. Bubba was no less than Cole was - who was a very good player - Maryland just didn't make it as far in the tournament last year. Bubba wasn't that less than Bryan Costabile last year, who got 1st Team AA, he had 3 less points, more GBs, and again more defensive contribution.
So uh, Costabile had 42 goals last year. I love Bubba and love what he means to the team, but come on man. That's just insane production from a midfielder.
It was! He fully earned his spot. Don't think I ever said he wasn't awesome. And Bubba still had only 3 less points and also did more on the defensive and full field end. The point is that Fairman's an amazing all around player and going back to the whole original deal where this started, not at all a product of recruiting overhype.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

I was sort of thinking that Kyle Long would move to quarterbacking the offense from behind to goal.
Maltz operates fairly nicely from behind the goal also.
Live Free or Die!
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

molo wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:16 pm Predictions for the UVA game? Defending NC are 2-0 versus PL and SoCon and 0-2 versus Ivy. Terps stumbled against Nova but have some more impressive wins than UVA, who have blown big leads in two of their wins as well as today’s loss.
UVA's offense is not very good, especially considering the talent they have. Which is pretty inexcusable for Kirwan really, they're in the 40's in offensive efficiency with Moore, Aitken, Kraus, Laviano, and Cormier who is also a beast. But without Conrad - who beat MD by himself basically last year - and injuries on the defensive end meaning Conners can't push in transition as often, they don't really have any transition and it's just their 6-on-6 sets and they have not been great in those this year. Not great against zone either, though I don't expect MD to play a ton of it. If UVA gets a bunch of possessions they'll score goals, they've got too much talent to be totally quiet, but if the Terps can bottle the effort they had against ND and the 6-on-6 and man-down defense from Albany, they should be able to win.

Don't need a huge day from Shockey to win, I think 50-50 would still be in the Terps favor, but obviously if he wins a lot again that'd be awesome. But just limit the turnovers, get a decent face-off day, and I like their chances.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

molo wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:16 pm Predictions for the UVA game? Defending NC are 2-0 versus PL and SoCon and 0-2 versus Ivy. Terps stumbled against Nova but have some more impressive wins than UVA, who have blown big leads in two of their wins as well as today’s loss.
Maryland struggled against Albany's zone in the 2nd half on Saturday. Reports indicate the UVa has struggled against zones also. Yet both coaches prefer man-to-man.
Things look pretty even. Maryland seems to be playing a little better recently, if one considers Notre Dame, and is at home, so I would favor UMd by a goal or 2.
Live Free or Die!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:22 pm
UVA's offense is not very good, especially considering the talent they have. Which is pretty inexcusable for Kirwan really, they're in the 40's in offensive efficiency with Moore, Aitken, Kraus, Laviano, and Cormier who is also a beast. But without Conrad - who beat MD by himself basically last year - and injuries on the defensive end meaning Conners can't push in transition as often, they don't really have any transition and it's just their 6-on-6 sets and they have not been great in those this year. Not great against zone either, though I don't expect MD to play a ton of it. If UVA gets a bunch of possessions they'll score goals, they've got too much talent to be totally quiet, but if the Terps can bottle the effort they had against ND and the 6-on-6 and man-down defense from Albany, they should be able to win.

Don't need a huge day from Shockey to win, I think 50-50 would still be in the Terps favor, but obviously if he wins a lot again that'd be awesome. But just limit the turnovers, get a decent face-off day, and I like their chances.
Watched a bit of their game against Brown. Their offense is really simple: a lot 2 man games (pick and roll, mirroring) predicated on their elite athletes drawing slides. From there you get step down shooters who can sling it. They were way off against Brown today, although Brown's goalie made some nice saves. Laviano is going to shoot it low to high almost every time. Kraus is more of a dodging threat, but he, too, is a low-to-high lefty shooter. Dox will run down the alleys and Moore uses his athleticism to get above GLE. He's a lot like Bernhardt. Cormier getting back from last year's injury gives them some bulk and a box finisher. As Tills likes to say, "defend the knowns." Those are their knowns. Their defense struggles bit. Won't be surprised to see Calderone taking draws against LaSalla. They played against each other in high school on the island. They're similar sizes (although LaSalla is bulkier). Neutralize their possessions, don't get flustered on their aggressive rides, and don't turn the ball over in the middle of the field. Easier said than done. This should be a good game between 2 teams that like to get into transition.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wheels wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:48 am
jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:22 pm

Watched a bit of their game against Brown. Their offense is really simple: a lot 2 man games (pick and roll, mirroring) predicated on their elite athletes drawing slides. From there you get step down shooters who can sling it. They were way off against Brown today, although Brown's goalie made some nice saves. Laviano is going to shoot it low to high almost every time. Kraus is more of a dodging threat, but he, too, is a low-to-high lefty shooter. Dox will run down the alleys and Moore uses his athleticism to get above GLE. He's a lot like Bernhardt. Cormier getting back from last year's injury gives them some bulk and a box finisher. As Tills likes to say, "defend the knowns." Those are their knowns. Their defense struggles bit. Won't be surprised to see Calderone taking draws against LaSalla. They played against each other in high school on the island. They're similar sizes (although LaSalla is bulkier). Neutralize their possessions, don't get flustered on their aggressive rides, and don't turn the ball over in the middle of the field. Easier said than done. This should be a good game between 2 teams that like to get into transition.
Contrary to last year, where Maryland was definitely better in the settled 6-on-6 and trying to slow it down and Virginia wanted to push, may be more advantageous for Maryland to push things on offense and make it faster. Virginia's not as good in transition this year, they still push it a lot but nowhere near the same # of goals and threat as last year. Also think Maryland can match up better athletically in the middle of the field and they've been able to get a couple transition goals basically all year.

The ride is another story, clearing was shaky against Albany and UVA will push on that a lot. Can't be giving them freebies or 2nd chances, as inefficient as they've been, too talented to be playing long defensive possessions against. If it's a even face-off game and Terps clear it at a high %, they should do well.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

So I understand UVA is on spring break so they have all week to reflect over their lost. Maryland starts spring break on Friday. So they probably have midterms this week.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Their goalie is a commit. The goalie for St. Mary is a commit for the following year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”