Centennial Conference 2020

D3 Mens Lacrosse
CTlaxer12

Re: Centennial Conference 2020

Post by CTlaxer12 »

palaxoff wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:08 pm Why should I buy stock in F & M, the win against a struggling W&L doesn't give them the edge over Ursinus or Gettysburg schedule yet. H Dickinson played the National Champion Cabrini got there butts handed to them. but thats a good learning lesson, whats F & M have so far? ( side note Cabrini supposedly has some nice D transfers)
Interesting take. Certainly the other two have had more challenging schedules than F&M, but so far I’ve either heard of or seen 4 F&M games. If you put stock in a scrimmage that was basically the major tuneup for both Cabrini and F&M (starters v starters), the Dips ran toe to toe with the defending champs. Of course the Lburg game looked bad, but how much of that was first game jitters on the road?

Say what you will about W&L, but they ran fairly close with York and even Denison for a bit. No team has done to W&L this season what F&M did last weekend.

We’ll learn a lot about F&M over the next few weeks, as we will some of the others. If F&M can come out unscathed, I’ll be impressed. It really depends on which Dips team shows up. So to your point, you’d probably say odds on favorite are Ursinus or Gburg, but let’s see how it all plays out.
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

I'd say right now its a 3 horse race ( Ursinus, Gettysburg and F&M ) going into the first turn. Ursinus seems to be have maintained last yea'rs effort and filed in the holes lost to graduation but there is still a lot of race to go.
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

I'd say right now its a 3 horse race ( Ursinus, Gettysburg and F&M ) going into the first turn. Ursinus seems to be have maintained last year's effort and filed in the holes lost to graduation but there is still a lot of race to go.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

We will know a lot more about the Bullets after todays game at York. Bullet defense is stout, I am afraid there just is not enough consistent offensive firepower to hang. F&M has been schizophrenic so far and Ursinus very consistent. I think the conference race as it stands today is a pick em between those 3.
GO BULLETS
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Nice win for Gettysburg 7-6 OT over York. Teams looked pretty evenly matched although stats favor York. Having watched the first half of the Tufts- Springfield game last night, I don't think either Gettysburg or York can match Tufts athleticism...we will find out 3/17
GO BULLETS
cigslax11

Post by cigslax11 »

Ursinus with a convincing 18-11 win over Montclair. They got off to a slow start but owned the second half. More midfield production from Ursinus, saw Minardi had 6 goals himself. Ursinus was without a few starters, it was nice to see they have guys to fill the holes with.

That’s a big win for Gettysburg, impressive to see them hold York to only 6.

That Ursinus vs Gettysburg game on 3/21 is going to be a good one!
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

Well, that was a flat out great showing from the Garnet, taking down Elizabethtown 19-12. Though it might not be obvious in the scoreline, it was one of the best team defensive performances that I've seen from Swarthmore in a long time. I was a little worried that they were sliding too early in the first quarter, but throughout the entire game the off-ball help and recoveries were excellent. Forced at least half a dozen shot clock violations, picked off four or five passes, and Dillon had a handful of huge, momentum-saving stuffs in the cage. They did concede 3 man-up and a man-down goal, so special teams will certainly a big area of focus over spring break.

Offensively, the Garnet were punishing Etown's poor second slides in the first half, forcing them to delay and half-slide in the second. After that switch, Swat pushed hard to the cage and were able to consistently get great shots off in isolation against Etown's SSDM. Great vision and heads-up dodging to feed was paired with opportunism and grit when the slides stopped coming. At least five, hard shots off the iron was one of the only things keeping them under 20 (though one deflected pass did squirm in, so fair's fair). But a 0-7 man-up performance was a bigger factor--I was surprised at how poorly this unit looked, considering the fluid ball movement in even-numbered play.

Wing play on the face-off has plenty of room to improve. There was still some sloppiness on clears that can be cleaned up. At least one Elizabethtown mother should reconsider whether, "You're a big bully, #7! A big bully!" really stings a college lacrosse player the way she intends it to. But, it's early in the year, and one would expect all of these things to come together as the season matures.
CTlaxer12

Post by CTlaxer12 »

Solid day around the conference for the top 4.

Gburg played a little closer than expected against Widner. Ursinus took care of business, as has become expected from them. Really great coaching staff in Collegeville, these guys are always ready to play.

Dickinson played a down Roanoke team close as well. F&M slept walked through Q1, then dominated the game. Dips need to name a full time starter in goal, #8 looks to be the guy at the moment, as everytime I’ve seen him he makes big stops, especially today.

Messiah should join the CC, they always show up for games against the top dogs in the conference.
cigslax11

Post by cigslax11 »

CTlaxer12 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:12 pm Solid day around the conference for the top 4.

Gburg played a little closer than expected against Widner. Ursinus took care of business, as has become expected from them. Really great coaching staff in Collegeville, these guys are always ready to play.

Dickinson played a down Roanoke team close as well. F&M slept walked through Q1, then dominated the game. Dips need to name a full time starter in goal, #8 looks to be the guy at the moment, as everytime I’ve seen him he makes big stops, especially today.

Messiah should join the CC, they always show up for games against the top dogs in the conference.
I agree, good stuff from the CC all around this weekend. Interesting thought about Messiah. We’ve seen a bunch of other conferences in division 3 combine and move teams. Why not the centennial?
BoofMeatShoeBox

Post by BoofMeatShoeBox »

Will be interesting to see the stance that the CC takes with coronavirus knocking on our doors
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

Laxdds wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:04 pm Nice win for Gettysburg 7-6 OT over York. Teams looked pretty evenly matched although stats favor York. Having watched the first half of the Tufts- Springfield game last night, I don't think either Gettysburg or York can match Tufts athleticism...we will find out 3/17
GO BULLETS
It is too bad that we will not see Tufts - Gettysburg. Would have been one hell of a game. I think there is more to come on the cancellation front.
cigslax11

Post by cigslax11 »

BoofMeatShoeBox wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:39 pm Will be interesting to see the stance that the CC takes with coronavirus knocking on our doors
Yeah, what would protocol be if we have a lot of games postponed in conference play? I’m guessing they just push everything back and extend the season?
Dips_lax

Post by Dips_lax »

Heard F&M, while banning all school sponsored travel as a practical matter until 3/31, could still play games at home. Given proximity to the mustang classic that wouldn't be too far from Stevenson and OWU to make the trip. I think the whole mustang weekend is in jeopardy as SLU isn't coming either. Within the centennial I think they are considering a condensed conference play in April/May - mid week games, saturday & sunday games, etc. Too early to give up on the season but we need some positive news on the virus front and some school cooperation to make it work.

Will be interesting in remaining eligibility for all and whether a 5th year grad program at university could be an option for the standout players looking to finish playing on their own terms.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

The only thing I have heard from Gettysburg is they have extended spring break until 3/22. Currently the Bullets have teams on spring break trips in South Carolina, Florida, Maryland and Virginia there may be more I am unaware of. So when all of these players (not to mention the entire student body that has been spread through out the country) come back to campus and concentrate in a 1 square mile area what happens?
cigslax11

Post by cigslax11 »

Laxdds wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:27 am The only thing I have heard from Gettysburg is they have extended spring break until 3/22. Currently the Bullets have teams on spring break trips in South Carolina, Florida, Maryland and Virginia there may be more I am unaware of. So when all of these players (not to mention the entire student body that has been spread through out the country) come back to campus and concentrate in a 1 square mile area what happens?
What does this mean for the Ursinus vs Gettysburg game on 3/21? I’m assuming it’s postponed. Haven’t heard anything from the Ursinus end.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

As far as I know they have only extended spring break, they have not cancelled any activities...but I am not in any official loop. All of the teams away are still playing. Gburg vs W&L this afternoon should be a good one.
cigslax11

Post by cigslax11 »

I was mistaken, an extended spring break will not effect CC match-ups. Huge news coming from the NESCAC with their entire seasons being cancelled. Sad to say, but it opens up the door for a title run for many teams from the South.

Ursinus vs Stockton and Gburg vs W&L tonight... any predictions?

Go bears
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Bears and Bullets! Although as I have said many times Gburgs offense needs to really needs pick it up. In my mind they won't win many shootouts.
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

Tough times continue in Chestertown. Really struggled to defend the throw back to a roll off of the crease in the 4th quarter, and IWU's shooters were picking corners left and right.
MarloStanfield09

Post by MarloStanfield09 »

Who'd of thought WAC would not win a game in a season.....
"You want it to be one way........ but it's the other way........."

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”