Will Maryland repeat?

D1 Womens Lacrosse
8meterPA

Re: Will Maryland repeat?

Post by 8meterPA »

Was just thinking the same thing, a prolific scorer in HS and then becomes a top NCAA defender. Was one of the fastest kids I’ve seen play in HS. Wonder if after a potential red shirt year she comes back as a middie...
Last edited by 8meterPA on Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bart

Post by Bart »

8meterPA wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:17 pm Was just thinking the same thing, a prolific scorer in HS and then becomes a top NCAA defender. Was one of the fastest kids I’ve seen play in HS. Wonder if after a potential red shirt year she comes back as a middle...
IDK, the old adage is that you can't teach speed. I may just be a old defender but I'd always look for a kid with speed and lateral movement like she has to move to defense. IMO, no offense to the goal scoring minded people here, but you can find kids to put the ball in the back of the net, rarely do you find a kid with the combination of speed and lateral speed. That kid goes to defense. That being said, I truly hope this player makes a full recovery, hate to see injuries like this.
Turtles Lax

Lizzie Colson

Post by Turtles Lax »

Was quite dismayed upon learning Lizzie had torn her ACL right after it happened. She was (is!) a favourite of TL. :D

Have seen her several times since her injury...she’s upbeat and will be just fine...even better than before.

Lizzie is one of those players who simply knows HOW to play. Re: her prowess with draws and ground balls, the ball ‘finds’ her; she understands the game and is forever in just the right spot.

About her switch to D, Lizzie is one of those players who can play anywhere and another in the long line of prolific scoring middies who were switched D and became All Americans for YOUR Terrapins.

Peace, out.

TL
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Lizzie Will be redshirting this season
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

With the significant news that Colson will redshirt this season, does that change anyone's prediction for the Terps this year?
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

wlaxnut wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:45 pm With the significant news that Colson will redshirt this season, does that change anyone's prediction for the Terps this year?
Not change...assumed she was missing season. Final four but no final. Think UNC and Cuse are deeper and a little more experienced this year. MD Coaching could tip the balance and make me wrong, but that’s my gut.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Well, not sure how it will end, but if I am a coach/player/fan of one of the serious contenders, I jump on MD this year while they are down... :?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

I'm actually happy to hear this news. She deserves to play a whole season, completely healthy, before leaving the college experience behind. It's likely -- at least to me -- that she will rejoin an even better team next year.

So no, Maryland will not repeat. The lose Braig, Mercer, Giles, Steele, Evans and I think Siverson to graduation. And what some people think is a pretty good goalie. They lose Colson to redshirt.

They're gonna be a force in 2021.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

This is strange--Maryland women's lacrosse just release a post on Instagram stating that among others, Lizzie Colson is a 2020 captain. Is that a common thing? Does a team make a player who intends to redshirt the season a captain?
rsz_1rsz_colson.png
rsz_1rsz_colson.png (102.43 KiB) Viewed 4011 times
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Maybe honorary?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

I still think Maryland is a final four team. By May, the freshmen
are now seasoned so who knows what happens. Maryland has great coaching and great recruits and everyone has seen the reloading vs rebuilding phenomenon. It will be a great and interesting season starting in two weeks.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Maryland75 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:47 pm I still think Maryland is a final four team. By May, the freshmen
are now seasoned so who knows what happens. Maryland has great coaching and great recruits and everyone has seen the reloading vs rebuilding phenomenon. It will be a great and interesting season starting in two weeks.
Maybe the best coaching staff in the business. That is the ace in the hole: coach up a talented freshman class to the point that, in May, when it's money time, they play like Juniors. Good luck; can't wait to see how it all unfolds.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

Ms Colson will be sorely missed on the circle in transition and in the defensive end. I think it’s a wise decision to allow her knee to fully recover. If you recall both Beth Glaros and Brooke Griffin needed a good amount of time to look like their old selves after having ACL surgery. Take a look at Erica Evans at the start of the season and then at the end . That is with having a full year to recover. Being fully healed and having confidence in your surgically repaired knee are two very different scenarios. Best of luck to Ms. Colson and the Terps.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

I’ll never stop saying this – the women who play lacrosse are courageous and brave. I can’t imagine coming back on the field after an injury like that. I saw it happen on a live stream to Syracuse’s Morgan Widner a couple of years ago. I was moved at how painful it must have been from her reaction. Liza Elder of Northwestern had ACL on one knee, came back to play, and injured the ACL in her other knee. Yet there she was back on the roster in 2019 helping her teammates win.

https://youtu.be/3gM-rTDw6fU

REMARKABLE young women are the student athletes of women’s lacrosse. They are to be held in high esteem indeed.
Last edited by wlaxnut on Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:57 am I’ll never stop saying this – the women who play lacrosse are courageous and brave. I can’t imagine coming back on the field after an injury like that. I saw it happen on a live stream to Syracuse’s Morgan Widner a couple of years ago. I was moved at how painful it must have been from her reaction. Liza Elder of Northwestern had ACL on one knee, came back to play, and injured the ACL in her other knee. Yet there she was back on the roster in 2019 helping her teammates win.

REMARKABLE young women are the student athletes of women’s lacrosse. They are to be held in high esteem indeed.
I think we can all agree that! And for those kids that rehab major injuries on top of everything else...truly amazing!
totc

Post by totc »

Maryland is an awesome program, and my friend TurtlesLax will agree.

I think this group is going to be motivated by one thing: not a single member of the Inside Lacrosse Division I preseason all-America team is from the University of Maryland-College Park. Nope, not even Hartshorn.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

totc wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:42 pm Maryland is an awesome program, and my friend TurtlesLax will agree.

I think this group is going to be motivated by one thing: not a single member of the Inside Lacrosse Division I preseason all-America team is from the University of Maryland-College Park. Nope, not even Hartshorn.
That’s your problem right there—you give entirely too much credit to Inside Lacrosse. And you’re assuming Much to think that Inside Lacrosse Magazine and the picks of their oft-uninformed staff matters to a dynasty program like Maryland.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

How does the prospect of Maryland repeating look after the loss to Florida?

What will it look like after the game in North Carolina? Does anyone give Maryland a shot? What if they pull the upset? (I doubt many are expecting that.)

Has Maryland ever lost two in a row or been blown out in the Cathy Reese era? In any era?

Anyone have any predictions for the final score?
spartanslynx

Post by spartanslynx »

I see a 18-13 win for UNC as a probable score.

What a sight to see the Terps struggle
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

wlaxnut wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:08 am How does the prospect of Maryland repeating look after the loss to Florida?

What will it look like after the game in North Carolina? Does anyone give Maryland a shot? What if they pull the upset? (I doubt many are expecting that.)

Has Maryland ever lost two in a row or been blown out in the Cathy Reese era? In any era?

Anyone have any predictions for the final score?
I think the question is how quickly can Maryland recover after the Florida loss with two big games coming up in rapid succession (UNC and Syracuse). It's entirely possible that the Terps might stumble some more, but I still think they'll recover enough to make a deep run in the NCAAT later on. I think UNC does win against Maryland, but not sure about Syracuse (though I'd say it's a better chance this year than in others).

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”