Washington College 2020

D3 Mens Lacrosse
mdline

Re: Washington College 2020

Post by mdline »

Shoremen scrimmage VMI in the coming weeks, perhaps another school another school as well. Don't recall the details but one or some opportunities to get a feel for things before the season opener on 2/15 - CNU.
WASHFAN

Post by WASHFAN »

Thanks LINE, saw they ran the midnight mile...any info on scrimmage performance would be appreciated..as an aside, I’m hearing that recruiting is doing better and they are expanding footprint outside the motherland to pick up some talent. I think the hard part for Coach Shirk is how do we play other teams with a similar intensity to WOTS....
mdline

Post by mdline »

Well said.

The scrimmage v VMI does represent the only preseason work for the team - WAC hosts this Saturday rather than travels.
WASHFAN

Post by WASHFAN »

Any color on the VMI scrimmage? I have none...
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

1-1 end of first quarter. WC scored right off the start. Did not score again until 4th quarter. Final 10-3.

VMI controlled face offs so difficult for WC to get any momentum. WC was not sloppy as you might expect for a scrimmage but could not break down the defensive matchups one on one so defense did not have to slide.

On defensive side WC packed it in and VMI inverted the offense in the second quarter and WC had difficulty with cutters. When they did slide to cutters the attack then beat the pole from x.

VMI is running UVA’s offense from last year brought over from grad that is the OC. It is fairly simple but relies on getting the defense moving. That is why during the first quarter the packed defense was a challenge to VMI.

VMI played a lot of freshmen as this is one of their better recruiting classes. 2 of their 3 starting poles are freshmen. Their OC and DC are also new so this is a work in progress for VMI.

obviously this is from a VMI parent’s perspective.
WASHFAN

Post by WASHFAN »

Thank you D&D, thought the f/o would be a problem for WASH, but the middie issue is really concerning. Good analysis!
WASHFAN

Post by WASHFAN »

Ouch! Well, we couldn’t possess, had a rough time clearing, and have a hole in the defense at GLE. because the cutter coverage leaves them wide open, and Goalie had a rough day...from a game perspective it was hard to watch. Two positives 1) I counted 7 freshmen and 3 Sophs starting/playing in the game so we are getting better recruits 2)TC White freshman pole and KDomenench freshman M looked ready for Primetime..
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

This program is officially an “also ran”. Nothing notable or noteworthy. A sad fall from 9 national championship appearances, 1998 championship, and over one hundred All Americans.

Coach Shirk’s tenure is a tale of two eras. The first era where he coached JB Clarkes remaining players (48-32 with a final four appearance) and the era where the roster was completely his players (37-41 with only two winning seasons- 9-7 and 8-7 at that).

It is obvious that the administration at WAC is completely fine with this product and the state of the program. It has become completely mediocre like the rest of the athletic department there. Incredibly frustrating.

I am so over the argument of “the sport is growing and more schools are offering programs, so you can’t continue to monopolize recruits, more competition, etc.” That clearly hasn’t impacted Salisbury, Gettysburg, etc.

Changes need to be made. Period. It starts with the expectations from the Board and the supporters who endow the lacrosse program. Next the President must take action and either provide more resources or make wholesale changes with AD and Coach.
mdline

Post by mdline »

A much more narrow perspective - there are a lot of youth on the field thus far this year. That could be indicative of many things and could mean any number of things going forward.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

mdline wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:47 pm A much more narrow perspective - there are a lot of youth on the field thus far this year. That could be indicative of many things and could mean any number of things going forward.
Agreed. As a dispassionate viewer who watched the game primarily to see how CNU looks, I thought WC was pretty impressive at the outset of that game. When those young guys learn how to put four quarters together like the first against CNU, they will win some games along the way. I know there is some handwringing over here about the state of the WC program, but I was encouraged by what I saw in that first quarter.
veryoldgoose

Post by veryoldgoose »

Embarrassing performance. I don't put this on fully on Shirk. The kids out there for W&L are just better athletes and lacrosse players. WAC can't clear (under 50%), cant catch or throw, and cant run with people. Something needs to change in the weight room and with the players effort. Sure, this is a young team. But it's been a young team since the Final Four team in 2014. Can't be the excuse anymore. On paper, there doesn't appear like Shirk isn't recruiting well, but these players are getting smoked as lacrosse players and athletes. Those are things the players can control. Hopefully this butt whooping is a come to jesus moment for these players.

:shock:
WestCoast3311

Post by WestCoast3311 »

What has happened? Losing by 20 is just sad... once JB's kids graduated the program under Shirk is a doormat. Something needs to be done not only in getting talent, but developing talent, sure the school is expensive but the facilities are top notch, the history is rich and the surrounding talent pool is deep... something has got to give with the leadership... the alumni still follow and support but the product is hard to standby much longer.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

By all accounts, Jeff seems like a competent guy. But, you can’t argue his record since the program has been completely his. This is his tenth season at WC. If his job was being evaluated under the same set of standards applied to JB, he would have already been fired. So, it is apparent that the administration (both college leadership and athletic department leadership) have created new, lower standards for the program. If you talk to leadership there, they say the new expectations are more realistic given the growth of the sport and cost of attendance at WAC. Which we all know is completely and utter BS. How has Gettysburg thrived in this environment but not WAC? How about Tufts? How about all the $60k NESCAC schools.

Bottomline: college leadership has failed this program. Embarrassing.
veryoldgoose

Post by veryoldgoose »

Got crushed by Widener. 4 words I never thought I would hear in my lifetime. Something needs to give, starting with the administration pronto.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Price of school as it relates to other d3 schools in the DMV is also making it a bit more challenging. And with the lot of players available, many kids are just giving up playing all together and settling for college club. The appeal of Washington College vs the price of tuition, can make it a deal breaker.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

With all due respect, the price argument does not hold up for a myriad of reasons.
Buzzard05

Post by Buzzard05 »

...it does if the amount of financial aid offered by the school is less than what their competitors are offering.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Now that, Buzzard, is a good point. For a school in financial distress (WAC shuttered it’s grad program, is begging alums for money, etc) it isn’t a stretch to think they are not handing out generous financial packages. The point I was making was the price tag alone isn’t the issue.

So, is the recipe this?

-bad financial aid packages
-administration no longer viewing program as priority
-AD with no coaching experience and very little experience outside of WAC
-college in financial distress

Am I missing anything? And alums, what can we do to help?
mdline

Post by mdline »

Certainly don't take issue with all of your points, but smaller liberal arts colleges are almost universally having to turn to their alumni bases for support. That's fundraising in higher education, particularly private schools. That said, want to see WAC compete within that environment.
richard

Post by richard »

WAC endowment is in the same range as Hobart, better than Ursinus by a good sum. Better than McD, Hampden Sidney, Randy Mac, and Noke. They are not up to snuff with the rest of the Centennial. I would say it is an administrative decision to downgrade athletics. Some do not see the benefits of athletics to the school. It's hard to believe that a 200 million dollar endowment is walking the tightrope when other schools with less than 100 mil can make it.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”