Salisbury vs. Lynchburg - GameDay

D3 Mens Lacrosse
ShoreThingMD

Salisbury vs. Lynchburg - GameDay

Post by ShoreThingMD »

1pm face off
streaming: https://team1sports.com/suseagulls/
Also, for those that enjoy streaming at home on the big screen: download the Team1sports app on Roku or whatever streaming device. the game will be available on this app. As well as other games.

game time temperature should be in the mid-40s and clear.

What to watch (in my opinion)
- 4 All-Americans squaring up: Lynchburg's midfield tandem of Dean & Rogers vs. Salisbury's Murphy (LSM) and Greik (SSDM). Dean and Rogers accounted for 6 goals in Lynchburg's 18-10 playoff loss last year.
- Replacing last year's midfield production: Salisbury's 1st line midfield recorded 7 goals and 4 assists in last year's matchup. Will Salisbury's new midfield line have the horses to replace the production in this game against a formidable foe?
- Goalie play: Last year neither Lynchburg keeper played well, with both goalies splitting time and making a total of 7 saves of 25 shots faced. Salisbury's Warren had one of his stronger games, making 10 saves on 18 shots against.
- Lynchburg's attack: Salisbury's close defense (who are all returning) allowed 2 goals and 3 assists from Lynchburg's attack last year. I expect most of the Lynchburg offense to come from Dean and Rogers, but the attack will have to put up more than (2,3) as a unit against Salisbury's stout defense.

What Lynchburg needs to do in order to win;
- Similar production out of Dean and Rogers
- Be competitive as the faceoff x. Hornets 13-31 last year, which is not bad considering Salisbury's talent at that position.
- Improved goalie play and making a few saves early. Build the confidence and force Salisbury to grip those sticks a little tighter...
- Attack taking advantage of the attention that comes from Dean & Rogers. Whether it is a result of defense sliding early or backdoor defenders who are looking to help from up top, the attack will have to do more than last year.

What Salisbury needs to do in order to win;
- Whoever starts, make the saves you NEED to make
- Respect the talent of the 1st midfield. Salisbury is known to play aggressively on defense. However, LSM and SSDM need to keep their composure and good position and not allow their aggressiveness to create opportunities for this talented group.
- Production from the 1st midfield line. They might not need to go (7,4) like last year's unit, but they will have to generate some offense and force the slide. Salisbury's attack is talented, but I hope to see this midfield line move the ball crisply, limit their turnovers, and take advantage of the opportunities that come with the defense needing to pay close attention to Melton, Ferrara, Armstrong/Moroney.

Should be a good one down on the shore. I hope everyone enjoys the game!
Whiskeydog

Re: Salisbury vs. Lynchburg - GameDay

Post by Whiskeydog »

Excellent overview Shorething.....thanks for posting. Would love to see the Mighty Hornets poach an early game from another strong Salisbury team. Looking forward to what should be a great game.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

The Gulls may be a notch above last years team whereas Lynchburg may have taken a step back... pulling for the Second best team in the ODAC. Gulls dominate face offs and their attack I think will put up big numbers in this one. Hard not to bet on the Gulls in this one
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

4-1 Gulls
LYN now list 6 straight FOs. Not even close..
LYN defense good but Gulls O really good.
LYN now man up
GUlls announcers suck
Nothinbutthelax

4-2 after 1st
No FO’s for LYN. All clean wins.. no need for wings...
Nothinbutthelax

Tie game at 4. LYN rides produced 2 TOS
Still 0 FO’s.
LYN D stout
Nothinbutthelax

Got a bit sloppy both sides. Gulls took advantages with Man up goal and a dart to top right to go up 7-3
Still no LYN FOs.. starting to hurt..
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Berkman is an amazing coach indeed to be able to go from 4-4 to 7-3
Nothinbutthelax

Meant 7-4 but Marrony with a beautiful no look goal takes it into the half up 8-4..
Gulls won ALL FO’s and clear time of possession.
32 shots produced 8 goals shows LYN solid D but that’s not a formula to for a LYN win
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

Gulls over Hornets 8-4 at halftime
Nothinbutthelax

Getting away
LYN goal called back and gulls buried another to go up 11-4
Nothinbutthelax

2nd our Gulls rebound goal..12-5.
LYN makes it 12-6 on UP goal when Gulls off sides.
Ferrera stings corner- 13-6
Nothinbutthelax

Well, another corner stinger and another goal called back
The Gulls bowling ball celebration was excellent 👍
Nothinbutthelax

The Gulls are as advertised
16-10. Ellis in goal solid behind excellent D and FO play.. literally no wing GBs on FO’s
Sideline celebrations from Gulls bench the real winner..
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Look out D3 here come the Gulls. If they look this good in February I hate to see them in May. Another year of the Gull😂
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

Keys to today's Gulls victory
- Malamphy goes 21 of 22 for the game. Lynchburg throws 5 different guys at him to no avail.
- Logan Posner (2,1): This is the type of midfielder I have been looking for the past 2 seasons. Posner shined on the 2nd midfield line today, often generating slides and offense and looking extremely comfortable with the ball. However, he was called for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty... that needs to be addressed and fixed moving forward.
- Ellis: The stat line won't wow you (6 saves, 10 goals against), but Ellis impressed. The stat line would probably look a little better if the Gulls wouldn't have thrown in the towel with less than 2 minutes to go leading to 3 late goals... Anyway, Ellis made a few point-blank saves, made the saves he should make, and appeared to be comfortable in the clearing game.
- Bromwell & Moroney: Both notched 4 goals apiece. Moroney's comeback from last year's season-ending injury is really impressive. I think people forget how good he was and how much he contributed so early in this career as a Gull. His no-look goal coming from behind the cage with seconds left in teh shot lock was a back-breaker for Lynchburg. Bromwell was a force out there today. 2 questionable shots, fortunately, 1 of the 2 ended up in the back of the cage. Bromwell dodged hard and was able to get hot early. Bromwell might also be the best shooter on the team when it comes to receiving a pass and planting/shooting.

What else I saw...
- Rogers (1,3) didn't necessarily have his best game but as a hockey fan... I would be really interested to see how much "ice time" this kid gets. I felt like he was ALWAYS out there. Sometimes at the attack, playing defensive midfield, and obviously 1st line midfield and man-up. I enjoy watching him play.
- By my standards... Melton (0,2) had a very quiet game. Effectiveness doesn't always show up in the stat line, but he just didn't quite look the same today.
- I think Malamphy is amazing at faceoffs, but Lynchburg might be in trouble at the X...
- Salisbury will take the win, but 16 goals on 52 shots, 1-5 on man ups, and 20-27 on clears has me cringing. All of these will be addressed... especially the clears...
- The Gulls also fell victim of ball watching a few times on defense. Lynchburg had a play that appeared to be open a few times, but only executed once... Hornets swing the ball around on man up and close defender next to Ellis gets caught in no man's land trying to figure out if he should rotate and gets backdoored for a layup. I'm sure Coach Sandlin will have them take a look at that. I believe an example of this was Rogers to Rogers goal in the 1st.

Overall a good game that was at times sloppy by both teams. Salisbury has 2 weeks before their next game vs Gettysburg and Lynchburg hosts F&M next Saturday.

All that being said, today's real winner is Jim Nestor (Salisbury women's lax goal), who got to see both of his sons (Luke freshman at Salisbury & Cole freshman at Lynchburg) play today in his hometown.
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

Good analysis Shore-

The Gulls will take the win but I agree there are plenty of things to work on.

Malamphy is something else !! Beyond the obvious importance of possessing the ball, the extra possessions and experience he's affording this offense should pay off big-time as the season progresses.

In regard to the offense, it's good to see the midis contributing the way they have thus far. Bromwell is dodging downhill and placing his shots well. Moroney with another 4 goal game adding another legit threat to an already talented group of offensive players. I was high on Dembeck last season, and he hasn't disappointed through two games in '20. Posner is another that has shown very well thus far with his ability to shoot and feed as well. Luke Nestor also looks like a player who may be playing a more prominent role as the season rolls on. In regards to Melton, he had a relatively quiet game but no concerns here. Barring a shot have might take back, I think he let the game come to him and could have easily ended with 4 + assists - He had two assists against Lynch last season (same as today) and currently has two more points than he did at the same time last year after playing against the same two opponents.

Barring the last two minutes of the game, I think the D played well. They locked down after the Hornets the went on their run and tied the game - The Gulls also matched up physically after Lynch came out firing. I think Murphy and the gang matched up well against Rodgers who tallied 1 G 2A and 4 TO's - ALERT!! Do not step in the way of Brad Greik clearing the ball, it may be hazardous to your health !

Main Concerns: The Gulls will need to straighten out the clearing - 20/27 won't cut it - No doubt this will be addressed over the next two weeks heading into Gettysburg game. They'll also need to limit the time in the box due to unforced errors.

Over all, I'll take the 2-0 record and hope to see improvement week-to-week - GO GULLS !!
Last edited by COGULL on Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

CO, might want to add a period for that abbreviation in the first line. It’s reading a little funny (I know, I’m immature).
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

DeepPocket wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:56 pm CO, might want to add a period for that abbreviation in the first line. It’s reading a little funny (I know, I’m immature).
LOL Appreciate the heads up

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”