Picks and Predictions

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: 2020 Picks and Predictions

Post by DMac »

wlaxnut wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:56 am
DMac wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:41 am The sticks are giving the O pretty much the same imbalance in the wlax game as what has happened in the mlax game, the D is at a huge disadvantage given that no contact or the kind of stick checking that is allowed in the men's game isn't allowed in the wlax game. Quite a dilemma in wlax.
https://youtu.be/PPTztd3zFbg

Would this stick check fall into the category you refer to? Or are you referring to cross-checking type stick work?
That's a very nice and very clean check, also a very mild check in comparison to the men's game. That check would have been much harder and much more violent in the men's game and likely would have been a one handed swing of the stick. Poke checks, wrap checks, over the head checks, and more, all legal in the men's game. The hand is also considered part of the stick and fair game for checking. As noted, the refs are going to have to control the wlax game in order to keep it wlax. The sticks, as in the men's game, have created an imbalance it's just tougher to play clean D now, hence we're seeing a rougher game.
Dr. Tact

Re: Virginia

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:25 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:04 pm From article regarding Virginia's chances and outlook for this upcoming season in US Lacrosse magazine:

"They are going to be a force to be reckoned with. I think they’re going to be one of those, ‘Oh, wow, they’re in the Final Four’ teams."

-- an unnamed rival coach

The last time Virginia made the final four was 2014. Since then they have either been one and done, or win one and done in both the ACC championship and The Tournament. Somehow, in spite of all the talent and big wins Virginia has come up with during the regular season, they seem to have no fire in the postseason. One could say they have been underachieving for the last five years. Maybe the success of the men's team on campus will stoke the ol' fire in the belly for the women. Not holding my breath on that though.
Of course you never know, but I thought last year -- with Jackson and Shoemaker as Seniors -- was the year they might break back into the final four. But, nope. I think they need a better, more innovative offensive coordinator. I just feel like other offenses have left UVA behind a bit. Virginia will be good, and they play a daunting schedule. But I don't see them making a long run.
I have UVA as a potential dark horse....I too think they lost alot with Jackson/Shoemaker graduating, but they have a strong defense, sometimes hot/sometimes not goalie and a bevy of young talent + Mueller. If the Hoos don't develop the replacements for Maggie and Avery, then opposing defenses can sit on Mueller. They do suffer from the old rep of pretty barbies with hair ribbons that play a polite game, but recent years recruits have a much harder edge. This team is one that could beat anyone on any given day, if everything aligns. I know the D's team plays them and it isnt one they look forward to.

Seacoaster - Your observation is a good one...as I noted above, they have trended to more grit, but I am not sure that Myers has really taken advantage of that...They quietly get top 5 or 10 talent every class, but seem to do less with more.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Virginia

I think you’ll get a pretty good read on Virginia from early games against Navy, Stanford and Princeton before the ACC schedule starts. The emergence of younger players, a handful of returnees from injuries and how they do on the circle will likely determine their fate. The offense looked a bit less conventional this Fall, but you never know. There may not be as many household names this year but I would expect more balance. My guess...Final 8 yes, Final 4 would depend on Seeding and Draw.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

wlaxnut wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:04 pm From article regarding Virginia's chances and outlook for this upcoming season in US Lacrosse magazine:

"They are going to be a force to be reckoned with. I think they’re going to be one of those, ‘Oh, wow, they’re in the Final Four’ teams."

The last time Virginia made the final four was 2014. Since then they have either been one and done, or win one and done in both the ACC championship and The Tournament. Somehow, in spite of all the talent and big wins Virginia has come up with during the regular season, they seem to have no fire in the postseason. One could say they have been underachieving for the last five years. Maybe the success of the men's team on campus will stoke the ol' fire in the belly for the women. Not holding my breath on that though.
After watching them play multiple times, it’s my opinion that they don’t play enough players throughout the game/season. Their kids are gassed.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Brownlax wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:28 pm

After watching them play multiple times, it’s my opinion that they don’t play enough players throughout the game/season. Their kids are gassed.
Totally agree with this.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:41 pm Virginia

I think you’ll get a pretty good read on Virginia from early games against Navy, Stanford and Princeton before the ACC schedule starts. The emergence of younger players, a handful of returnees from injuries and how they do on the circle will likely determine their fate. The offense looked a bit less conventional this Fall, but you never know. There may not be as many household names this year but I would expect more balance. My guess...Final 8 yes, Final 4 would depend on Seeding and Draw.
I can't see them deviating from their pattern of one and done or win one and done. But we shall see...
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:11 pm

Totally agree with this.
Good point
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Lax247 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:44 pm Also will be interesting what they do at BC re goalie
I believe Hall played a lot in fall. Maybe they will split time.
If I had to guess, I would say the whole reason they brought Hall in is because Ngai was too erratic and unreliable in big games. She would swipe her stick 180 degrees and not even be close to stopping the ball. She was put in goal when Daly contracted mono and played well--during the regular season. Playoffs were a different story. She got yanked in all but a few games and did not start the final vs UMD.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

100% correct
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

wlaxnut wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:29 pm
Lax247 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:44 pm Also will be interesting what they do at BC re goalie
I believe Hall played a lot in fall. Maybe they will split time.
If I had to guess, I would say the whole reason they brought Hall in is because Ngai was too erratic and unreliable in big games. She would swipe her stick 180 degrees and not even be close to stopping the ball. She was put in goal when Daly contracted mono and played well--during the regular season. Playoffs were a different story. She got yanked in all but a few games and did not start the final vs UMD.
I think they brought in Hall because she's a good keeper, and is a year behind Ngai. They get experience at the Division 1 level, and a good backup or starter. Ngai was a second team All-ACC player last year, who played and performed well against a lot of very able competition. She's bigger than Hall, and more experienced with Walker-Weinstein and in the crucible of big time play. Hall is a good player. But I wouldn't count Ngai out of the starting job. We'll see soon enough. They open against UMass on February 8.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:16 am I think they brought in Hall because she's a good keeper, and is a year behind Ngai. They get experience at the Division 1 level, and a good backup or starter. Ngai was a second team All-ACC player last year, who played and performed well against a lot of very able competition. She's bigger than Hall, and more experienced with Walker-Weinstein and in the crucible of big time play. Hall is a good player. But I wouldn't count Ngai out of the starting job. We'll see soon enough. They open against UMass on February 8.
I remember how well Ngai did last year. I was singing (and writing) her praises here. But it was quite a fall off when she got into the big postseason games vs. Syracuse and UNC (both times). I hope Ngai gets another chance. I like how aggressive she is, and she does have good size and quickness. She just needs to get her mechanics worked out when her nerves are high during critical games in the postseason. I don't know how much of that one is just born with or if it's something one can work on and change. One thing we have all observed in sports is that high pressure situations do affect performance. Some players (like Eli Manning, Larry Bird, Abdul-Jabbar, et al.) thrive on it. Some (like Tony Romo, Scott Norwood, Greg Norman, et al.) wilt under it. We will indeed see soon enough if Ngai gets another chance when the chips are down.

As far as the opener vs UMass, I am seriously considering driving out there for it (2 hrs from me) provided the weather is not an obstruction. Do you attend any games on a regular basis?
wlaxnut

2020 IWLCA Division I Coaches Poll – 1.27.20

Post by wlaxnut »

I fully agree with placing Maryland in the top spot for the first week. All these polls listing UNC first--tsk, tsk. Doesn't winning the national championship entitle a team to be on top for the first poll, for goodness sake? As for the rest of the poll, nothing outrageous. Methinks Denver's too high at #10. Virginia at #8?--please. Talk about an underachieving team frequently garnering votes on their reputation from years gone by. So if those two teams get bumped down Loyola would move up. Stony Brook's high, but then I'm always hard on the Seawolves. I like Notre Dame at #7. BC looks better at #5 with North in house. Good to see High Point sliding in. They play a tough schedule for their conference. In any event...

From the article in quotations below:

"The Maryland Terrapins, 2019 National Champions, narrowly edged out North Carolina to claim the top spot in the preseason IWLCA Division I Coaches Poll. Maryland garnered 15 first place votes, while the Tar Heels collected the other 10. Northwestern landed in the third spot, followed closely by Syracuse and Boston College, to round out the top five. The ACC landed seven teams in the top-25 rankings, the most of any conference, while the Big Ten had four schools listed and the Ivy League and Pac-12 each had three. Fans won’t have too long to wait before Maryland and North Carolina square off in a February 28 matchup in Chapel Hill."
Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 4.06.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 4.06.32 PM.png (162.2 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
Last edited by wlaxnut on Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

If the 2019 end of season #1 should be #1, why shouldn't #2 be #2, #3 etc.?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:42 pm If the 2019 end of season #1 should be #1, why shouldn't #2 be #2, #3 etc.?
Perhaps because of the new recruits coming in as freshman? Or the calculation of what the graduating class leaves behind?
Dr. Tact

Re: 2020 IWLCA Division I Coaches Poll – 1.27.20

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:20 pm Methinks Denver's too high at #10. Virginia at #8?--please. Talk about an underachieving team frequently garnering votes on their reputation from years gone by.
:clap:
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

wlaxnut wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:44 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:42 pm If the 2019 end of season #1 should be #1, why shouldn't #2 be #2, #3 etc.?
Perhaps because of the new recruits coming in as freshman? Or the calculation of what the graduating class leaves behind?
I mean if that's the case Maryland lost a lot of talent esp best goal keeper in Nation. BC lost a lot that's why they moved down. Otherwise they would be 2.
I don't have an issue with Maryland and voting was close.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:16 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:44 pm
I mean if that's the case Maryland lost a lot of talent esp best goal keeper in Nation. BC lost a lot that's why they moved down. Otherwise they would be 2.
I don't have an issue with Maryland and voting was close.
Very true regarding Maryland. They did graduate some key players, most notably as you say, their goalie. They will probably drop down the 2nd week. I like that they are #1 as an acknowledgement that they are the reigning champs.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

wlaxnut wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:20 pm I fully agree with placing Maryland in the top spot for the first week. All these polls listing UNC first--tsk, tsk. Doesn't winning the national championship entitle a team to be on top for the first poll, for goodness sake? As for the rest of the poll, nothing outrageous. Methinks Denver's too high at #10. Virginia at #8?--please. Talk about an underachieving team frequently garnering votes on their reputation from years gone by. So if those two teams get bumped down Loyola would move up. Stony Brook's high, but then I'm always hard on the Seawolves. I like Notre Dame at #7. BC looks better at #5 with North in house. Good to see High Point sliding in. They play a tough schedule for their conference. In any event...

From the article in quotations below:

"The Maryland Terrapins, 2019 National Champions, narrowly edged out North Carolina to claim the top spot in the preseason IWLCA Division I Coaches Poll. Maryland garnered 15 first place votes, while the Tar Heels collected the other 10. Northwestern landed in the third spot, followed closely by Syracuse and Boston College, to round out the top five. The ACC landed seven teams in the top-25 rankings, the most of any conference, while the Big Ten had four schools listed and the Ivy League and Pac-12 each had three. Fans won’t have too long to wait before Maryland and North Carolina square off in a February 28 matchup in Chapel Hill."

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 4.06.32 PM.png
And who would you put above Denver or UVA?
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:42 pm And who would you put above Denver or UVA?
My top 10 would be:

- Maryland
- UNC
- Syracuse
- Northwestern
- Notre Dame
- Boston College
- Princeton
- Loyola
- Michigan
- Penn

Virginia seems so predictable each year. They play an RPI heavy schedule and then cruise into The Tournament on that basis, regardless of their regular season record. Then they're either 1 & done, or win 1 & done. Syracuse does the same thing but at least they made it to the quarters last year. And Denver? Eh. I don't think they can really compete with the elite.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

wlaxnut wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:48 pm
LaxGuy17 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:42 pm And who would you put above Denver or UVA?
My top 10 would be:

- Maryland
- UNC
- Syracuse
- Northwestern
- Notre Dame
- Boston College
- Princeton
- Loyola
- Michigan
- Penn

Virginia seems so predictable each year. They play an RPI heavy schedule and then cruise into The Tournament on that basis, regardless of their regular season record. Then they're either 1 & done, or win 1 & done. Syracuse does the same thing but at least they made it to the quarters last year. And Denver? Eh. I don't think they can really compete with the elite.
Don’t disagree with you often, but can’t agree on UVA. First they were quarterfinalists a year ago and beat Princeton and Loyola reasonably. Don’t believe the hype on UM. Great coach but lost some talent. Until they playa heavy schedule can’t believe. Listen I’d get if you said no final four, but they finished last year final eight. I am open minded about Denver and would certainly put Loyola and Princeton ahead (even though Princeton lost 60% of scoring and 90% of draws. Heck I’d throw Navy ahead of Denver because they seem to bbe bringing all of a pretty good team back.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”